PDA

View Full Version : The "Goal Post" for January 2012

Dougwas
12-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi

Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Doug

Colorix
12-31-2011, 03:24 PM
Happy New Year, Doug! Join the party!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2011/117343-22081-band.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2011/117343-34523-Drunk.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2011/117343-jumpers.gif

Dougwas
12-31-2011, 03:48 PM
:clap: Happy New Year, Charlie! And Happy New Year to all of our fellow 'Goalies'. :clap:

Doug

spirothet
12-31-2011, 03:59 PM
:clap: :clap: Happy New Year Doug & Charlie,:clap: :clap:

Charlie, I love the band and all the graphics that you download. Where do you find them all????

For me, this year can only get better from here! Cali

Judibelle
12-31-2011, 06:41 PM
Love the effects, Charlie! (I was wondering the same thing, Cali)

best wishes to all, and Doug, thanks once again for this thread.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! :grouphug:

Deborah Secor
12-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Happy New Year to all! Throughout this year may your right hand be stretched out in friendship, but never in want. :D

Mij
12-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Happy new year to you all and I second Deborah's good wishes as well.
Colourful and cheerful graphics Charlie :lol:
cheers
jim

robertsloan2
12-31-2011, 10:27 PM
Happy New Year! I've got 5 1/2 hours to go, but cheering on everyone across the date line! Deborah, thank you for such a beautiful blessing!

Turpintine45
12-31-2011, 11:54 PM
:music: Happy New Year:music: around the world. Love the graphics Charlie!
Deborah love your thoughts. May you all have a healthy and prosperous year!

CM Neidhofer
01-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Happy New Year! :music::music: :music: :music: :grouphug:

*Deirdre*
01-01-2012, 02:53 AM
Happy New Year to all!

Colourist52
01-01-2012, 03:37 AM
:wave: HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :wave:

Wishing everyone a very happy and healthy 2012, happy painting everyone!

robertsloan2
01-01-2012, 04:09 AM
Happy "Mew" Year!

I found the Rum!

Ari Purrs and Sheds Cat Hairs of Inspiration On You!

chuas2
01-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Happy New Year everyone! Here's to a vibrant 2012 (yee gads, how did that happen??).
Kris

CM Neidhofer
01-01-2012, 12:53 PM
As I mentioned at some point, I'm not usually good at setting goals, but, new year, new approach! Most are short term, and one very general and one long term (ongoing).

1. Host the two pastel puzzle projects for January.

2. Create a website for my work. I already have a blog, but would like to put something out there that looks a little more professional.

3. Participate in this month's wonderful Spotlight!

4. Just plain paint more!

5. Practice landscapes.

Mij
01-01-2012, 02:22 PM
5 good goals there Christine so I hope they work out for you. I'm still compiling mine - I need to get my thinking cap on.:)
jim

Dougwas
01-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Hi, Christine. I am glad you decided to join us and start the new year with some well defined goals. Just hosting the pastel puzzle projects will get you more involved with painting and should inspire you to accomplish your other goals. Good luck.

Doug

Judibelle
01-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Hope everyone has recovered from the Holiday blast....
Good goals, Christine...

I'm finally drifting out of the doldrums, and am inspired by the Spotlight photos... Sooo...
Goals for Jan.:
Do at least 2 Spotlight paintings.
Do some sketching every day
Take JV's course on skies and work on homework pieces

non-art related:
Incorporate Peace, Love, Joy, and Compassion into my daily life.
Meditate at least once a day.
5-minutes of clean-up in the house every day (re Charlie)
Get out of my 'hermit' mode and socialize more.

Dougwas
01-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Here are my goals for January 2012.

1) I will join the local art association.
2) I will investigate and sign up for the most suitable acrylic painting lessons.
3) I will paint twelve small (8 x 10 and smaller) paintings in pastel, acrylics or gouache.
4) I will complete the two VAA units I am currently working on in composition and notans to finish the second quarter of the first year and start two more units for the third quarter.
5) Borrowing a term from Robert Genn, I will "occupy" my studio.
6) I will start the day by reading art books for thirty minutes while drinking the first cup of coffee.

I feel that in the last three months of 2011, I took a giant step towards becoming an artist. Painting every day and not being afraid to experiment helped with the process. I think if I continue with the VAA course, the daily painting in the three different mediums and taking live lessons for the first time, will help me become an artist. It is going to be a busy month, but I am ready for it.

Doug

Dougwas
01-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Very good goals, Judi. The sky is the limit.:rolleyes: :D Your non-art goals will help you out in every day life. Now get out there and start socializing.

Doug

Colorix
01-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Christine, Judi, Doug -- great goals, you guys!

Judi, those 5 minute chores work for me, as 5 minutes is so little it won't disrupt my plans (or laziness LOL!).

I'm still on vacation (so far 12 blissful days when I've read, eaten, and rested), and now I have a sick puppy-- I mean Husband to care for, some kind of flu. Part of the reading is getting involved in a manuscript written by somebody else, with me having the privilege of doing the role of extra eyes. That is very cool and exciting, to get a glimpse of another artistic endeavour, and see a bit of how the writing mind works, and how a book is born. It is a very good story, extremely well researched so the ambience and the details ring true, with great characters that are personalities! I've always read voraciously, enjoying tales and stories, blessing those with the gift, and it is such a treat to see more how it works. (Daunting, too. To me, painting is way easier.)

I'm saving goals for a wee bit later, I plan to rest until the next weekend is over. I so needed this vacation at home, as I'm not bored yet, not yet itching to paint or do something. I cooked for sick husband today, and it was a joy to create a tasty meal instead of just throwing something together, feeling the cooking stole time from work. And it was a good dinner, he ate and got more strength to fight the virus.

robertsloan2
01-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Purr! Wonderful goals here, everyone. I had to really think about what to choose for my January goals, when I'm this tired from 2011. Still resting up. But here goes:

1) Goal setting/resting.
2) Sabretooth Edits
3) Cat Commission
4) Spotlight
5) JV Class "Skies."
6) Blogging

I think that's enough for this month. I don't expect to be done editing Sabretooth, what I want to do is develop a good habit that balances art and writing. Once again I've pasted them into the sidebar file for my daily journal, so I at least look at them daily.

I'm keeping them vague except for the Spotlight. I definitely want to do at least one of the beautiful Spotlight references, they are so cool.

Aelfwynn
01-02-2012, 04:20 PM
My goal-setting is going to be delayed because I'm sick. I hate it when decongestants don't work. :mad:

Dougwas
01-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Robert- You will find that balance you are looking for. Writing and painting seem to be a very compatible pairing and it may take you a while to figure things out, but you will. I hope you get back to your 'normal' soon, Robert.

Mercy- Wishing you better health for the rest of 2012. We will be here when you are ready to set your goals.

I took our 'baby' to the bus depot at 7:00 this morning. It is hard to believe she will be half way to her BFA in another four months. I miss her already.

I was in my studio at 8:00 and read for over half an hour and then jumped right into a pastel painting. I don't know if it is finished or not and it might not be ready to share, but it sure felt good to paint again. I am now attempting an acrylic painting of the same scene. My wife and daughters got me a Sta-Wet palette for Christmas so now I don't have any excuses to not use the hand-me-down acrylics from both daughters. I have to admit, it is nice to have artistic kids, because they always keep Dad supplied in goodies.:D

Better get back to painting. I hope we get more goalies soon. Where is everybody?

Doug

Mij
01-02-2012, 07:15 PM
:wave: I expect everybody is resting up after a hectic month Doug. I know I am. I'm waiting on that company to ring me about the drying rack, they sent an email saying they were on holiday until tomorrow 3rd jan.

I also had a try at getting something for a grandson's birthday. The trouble is these sites are written by youngsters that have few grammatical skills and few sales progression skills. Put those two together on the same page is a definite stumbler for folks like me. We don't think in the same way.

I'll be back with a set of goals :wave:

jim

Dougwas
01-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Hi, Jim

I guess you are right. I know I forced myself to get back into the art mode today, but that is what I have to do. I felt lost the past few days and knew I was missing playing in the studio. I was getting up early to take my daughter to the bus depot so I figured it was a good time to get back at it. We all have our own ways of doing things and I know the gang will show up sooner or later.

You wonder how some companies stay in business. I don't have the greatest grammatical skills, but even I can find mistakes on some of these sites. Your welcome. :eek: :eek: :eek: Good luck with the drying rack and we will 'see' you soon.

Doug

Mij
01-02-2012, 10:26 PM
It's all this being kind to one-self over this holiday season for me Doug. I have to force myself away from a life of eating, drinking and making merry. I have been watching dvd's etc but from the arm - chair and not the painting easel. Never mind tomorrow (errrr..... later today for me as it is 2:24'sh am here) I will get back inline..... but I have enjoyed all the good wishes showered upon me this season :wink2: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CUL
jim

Mij
01-03-2012, 05:08 AM
Well here I am after some deliberation, prised myself out of the armchair and put fingers to the keyboard.....

Goals for January 2012

1) Obtain a drying rack from somewhere as the original company seem to be 'incommunicado'. My order has gone unfilled (at least they haven't taken any money)
2) Set out a programme of assignments to follow for the VAA.
3) Check-out Pastel workshops for this year. Plan visits and B&B's (April/May most likely)
4) Do one challenge in each medium. a) One in WC, b) gouache, c) acrylic, d) colour pencils, e) pastels f) and oils.
5) Attend art classes this month (Friday morn's).
6) Do the next drawing for 101 class (last month's goal not completed and put into this month)
7) Follow JV's course
I will get going on these as soon as.......
jim :cool:

Mij
01-03-2012, 07:54 AM
I need to add another as R. Schmids book has just arrived from stateside and I'll have to have a read wont I :)
so
8) Have a read of R. Schmid's book 'ALLA PRIMA, Everything I Know About Painting'
jim

Mij
01-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Oh what a start to the year. The company has sent me a couple of emails today one containing another which is dated the 7th December last saying they were out of stock on the drying racks and could I wait until the 9th January......
Now they say........and I never got the original email. I thought that the email system and it's dating/timing would not be disputed....... hmm so much for that idea..... modify the first goal about obtaining a drying rack.... it seems it will be here next Monday 9th January.
jim

robertsloan2
01-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Doug, thank you. I still don't know what "normal" is yet. That's the happy part. This is a matter of finding out my New Normal, which is so much better than the Old Normal all the other places I've lived that it's easy to go way overboard. Yet even at that, when I look at my resting-up time, it's not as long as it's been in the past.

Congratulations on getting back to painting! Cool that your kids give you good supplies, acrylics are going to be fun. I still need to try out the Chroma Atelier Interactive acrylics set I bought with the Johannes class - same lack of excuse now that I have a Sta-Wet palette too.

Great goals, Jim! Sounds like both of you are going to be doing lots.

Tick for Finding My Balance... made my first giant grocery trip in, well, years. I spent a bit more than planned but I've got three kinds of pears, a bag of tangerines, lots of fruit juice in cans that'll last as well as soda, cranberry and apple juice that'll need to be drunk all at once when they're opened but it's good stuff. Potatoes. Actual nuke them till they're like baked potatoes real ones. Tinned meats. And most of all, two little containers of Boysenberry Yogurt to share with my beloved Ari.

Yogurt must be shared. It is a house rule I've observed since he was six weeks old, part of the social contract between man and cat. We like "fruit on the bottom" so that he can have his little cat portion without the fruit mixed in yet. We tried that today and he really enjoyed it.

Colorix
01-03-2012, 04:00 PM
It is kind of fun seeing you all set up such good goals, and me not bothering to think of mine just yet. Good going, guys! Love seeing other people work! :-)

Deborah Secor
01-03-2012, 05:48 PM
I don't know what it is--maybe all the 'resolution' talk everywhere--but I just can't seem to make a goals list. I know it's a good idea. It's helped a lot in the last few months. Still, I can't seem to do it. I'm gonna stick with Charlie for now and give it a few more days.

spirothet
01-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Ditto to no goals yet. I am so wrapped up trying to gather up receipts and info for what was taken from my house, that the only thing I want right now is to get my settlement so I know where I'm at. I have been working on a portrait of Sean Connery and as soon as that's complete, I will post. In any case, for sure, I will try to get at least two spotlight photos done this month. More goals to follow. I too, like the way everyone has jumped in with some terrific goals. With a great lesson and photos this will prove to be an exciting month. Cali

Dougwas
01-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Jim- That company was probably wondering why they hadn't heard from you.:lol: Oh well, at least you know you are now getting your drying rack. I see on the cover of Schmid's book it says "everything I know about painting." It should be very interesting. It looks like this month is a planning time for you, Jim, but you are still keeping busy. I hope you start the VAA course soon. Good luck with all your goals.

Charlie- Just sit back and relax and watch us have all the fun.:D

Deborah- You will know when it is the right time to set some goals. Soon, I hope.;)

Cali- That must be a pain. I hope everything goes well for you. Art takes a back seat when things like that happen.

Robert- I know what you mean. I'm still looking for my normal. It isn't as cold here and there is less snow and ice to walk on. When we were up north, I would slip on ice at least once a year and jar my back. I was always careful, but you couldn't walk anywhere without slipping. I don't miss that.

Good to hear you made it on a shopping trip. Good for you. That is a big tick and it sounds like you and Ari enjoyed the yogurt as well. It sounds like things are coming together for you, Robert. Good going.

I have been fighting through back and leg pain the past few days, but I haven't let it stop me from painting. I chalk it up to my studio setup. Sit in the recliner, paint, recliner, paint, .... you get the picture. I broke the law today. I copied a living artist's painting.:eek: Of course it is only for my eyes and I would never claim it as my creation, but dang, it turned out pretty good. It is in acrylic and it seems like I am picking up on this new medium quicker than anything else I have tried. Tomorrow I will try a painting from my photos and see how it turns out.

So I am off to a good start this month. Three paintings down and nine to go. I also read some more of the art book I started yesterday. The title of the book is An Illustrated Life. It is full of drawings from sketchbooks of artists, illustrators and designers. It is a great way to start the day.

Happy painting.

Doug

Mij
01-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Doug, well when peeps go on holls over here they tend to skip out the door and forget they may have left a customer in the lurch. Just as well 'time was not of the essence' in this case eh? :wink2:

A non-art goal managed today. A radio controlled car was delivered for my grandson's birthday so I had to check it all out didn't I :wink2: I don't know who it's for my son or my grandson :lol: well they are a fun thing to play with :lol:

Ok Charlie and Debs, I suppose it is the holiday season so a little respite is due. Yes Debs I noticed an irritating little cough as soon as I pick up the pastels so I do use a face mask - can't be too careful. Sorry about your dilemma Cali - what a pain looking for all those receipts. You could do with out all that palaver. You have my empathies.

Robert it is so good to hear you in such positive spirits. I think the Christmas period does us all good in that a rest and good food intake does so much for our well being and our spirits.
Oh dear it's 2:12 am here, time I was in bed.
night all.
jim

Deborah Secor
01-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Oh yes, do wear a mask when you work with pastels! This cough has been nagging me for too long. I hope to feel 100% again soon (well, at least in that department. The rest--that ship has sailed. :lol:)

Colorix
01-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Oh, my, there are *days* of posts missing after the meltdown of WC today! And PMs, there was one email I got about it, but as WC was down... and now when it is up, the PM is gone with the wind.

I've sketched in two Spotlights today, hope to get to paint tomorrow, (am having guests). It will go on my goals, when I set them. :D

*Deirdre*
01-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks Charlie...could you pop the url into Merethe's thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649871) - if you have the time? Same goes for the rest of us...members, guides and mods....if we all help it will help the techies to sort it out and we get our site back sooner!:D

PS...just seen this...from Yorky (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14259491#post14259491) So maybe we should wait a bit longer before trying to help!

Ruthie57
01-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Eeeeek!!!! Oh No!! My goals are gone. Now, what were they...................

Deborah Secor
01-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Ruthie, you still have goals, they're just lost in a time warp! Does that mean you have SPARE TIME?

*Deirdre*
01-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Eeeeek!!!! Oh No!! My goals are gone. Now, what were they...................
Heh heh....found them in my Outlook post!:evil:

Well, it's time to set some goals now I've been back in my studio :) I may think of some more but so far......

1, Spotlight. Already done one and will do at least one more. I may set up some fruit also and do one from life. It's been a little while since I did that.

2. Do an amazing brilliant magnificent painting for the Pastel Guild challenge this month which is subject of choice instead of the regular themed challenge. If I can't do the above I will enter something anyway before the 25th closing date!

3. Get some paintings ready to go in the Cafe in Norwich we went to in December. My friend called in today and the owner definitely wants some but has yet to contact the photographer guy whose work is there now to ask him to remove some.

4. Lose weight...................

Ruthie57
01-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Wow! Thanks Deirdre! Now that number 4.....can't remember that one..........
Deborah, no spare time for me (except what i use up on the computer).

Dougwas
01-07-2012, 07:25 PM
I have a confession to make. I joined a cult. That's right, I am now a member of the cult known as Weight Watchers.:eek: I joined online so there are no meetings. An online cult? And no, it wasn't the talk here about losing weight. I had my mind made up two weeks ago. Funny thing is, I think I am eating more now. I will keep you all posted.:angel:

I haven't done any art for the past couple of days. I just had to rest up and take it easy for a few days and now everything is feeling normal again.

Jim- I am sure your grandson will let you play with his toy whenever you visit.:lol:

Deborah- I hope you are feeling better.

Charlie- Hmm. Do your goals before you set them? You might be onto something. Hope you found time to paint.

Deidre- You are a lifesaver for Ruthie. She already forgot making the 4th goal.;)

Ruthie- A good set of goals. I am sure your paintings will bring life to the cafe. Good luck with all your goals.

Doug

robertsloan2
01-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Oh wow, it wasn't just me. WC says I have a new private message but when I open my Inbox, I don't see anything newer than January 1st. It's probably gone with the wind. Glad to know that's not just me, hope whoever it is sends it again. At least my Puzzle Painting Piece got sent before the great erasing!

Not that I've started it yet. First week of January, my only tick is that grocery trip and resting up from it, dealing with offline stuff - training one new home care guy, dealing with an abusive Thursday replacement who was sneaky passive-aggressive instead of obvious, getting yelled at and told not to call again by Georgia's boyfriend/husband (she said boyfriend, he said husband, must be common law arrangement), third weirdness was accidentally fending off a con man trying to schmooze his way into staying in my room for free.

I didn't find out the con man wasn't just a friendly new neighbor till Harry knocked on my door early in the morning looking for him. He'd snuck into the building and run around schmoozing residents. Someone saw me talking to him so Harry checked my room. I don't know if he succeeded in finding someone to crash with or snuck back out of the building. I do feel good that Harry is on the ball and that protective of the residents.

So that's been my offline excitement for an exhausting week. The flare from the nasty home care worker cost me as much time and energy as the shopping trip did, both were overexertion in different ways.

Ruthie, good luck on your weight loss goal. Glad you found your goals, congrats on the Spotlight, looking forward to your magnificent competition painting. It will be. I love your work.

Doug, good luck on your weight loss goal. I've heard that Weight Watchers has improved over the years. I've known a number of people who used it successfully and from the latest gossip, they're no longer doing public humiliation if your weight fluctuates upward by a pound or two.

Jim, yay for your grandson's RC car. Funny, that's what I got for my grandson for Christmas too. Very good idea to try it out and make sure it works. Also a good idea wearing a dust mask if you're getting a cough.

Charlie, thank you for mentioning the PMs and posts that vanished after the meltdown! I got on today and saw I had one new PM, but it's not there, nothing after the 1st is there. Good thing I got my puzzle painting reference earlier than that, since I downloaded it onto the old computer rather than this one. I am so glad that's not just me. I was really confused by it.

Today is the first day I've felt good enough to come hang out online again. It's been a week. I think the stresses were half of it though, we'll find out next month how much of it was just the shopping trip by itself. If I'm on the first floor by then, the shopping trip may not be as bad either.

robertsloan2
01-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Little tick for meeting obligations. My phone reminded me this morning that I was due to host the "Weekly Inspiration Pictures" event in the Art Journals forum, so I searched through over 1300 photos on my phone to choose the best seven images and a Bonus Ari. Okay, the photos include both a Silly Ari and a pretty close up in the main seven images so the challenge is a little cat-heavy. But I did get in a person and some urban scenes and a challenging still life object too.

So that's something accomplished today even if I haven't been up to drawing. Being up to posting is an improvement!

Colorix
01-09-2012, 04:34 AM
Hi guys, you have great goals and are doing fine!

I'll set some temporary goals, as it will take longer to get hold of all people and info I need for the serious goals. (The country has been at a standstill since December 15th until today, because of all holidays.)

So, for January, I'll:

1) Continue planning for the future, and waiting for some other people to find time to make arrangements.

2) Write and fix the powerpoint presentation for the talk on the 1 st of February.

3) Paint two Spotlights.

4) Fix some changes on a completed painting.

Much of my time will be devoted to planning ahead and figuring things out, like how to reach new people, so I'll keep the goals light for now. I may add some. (Any additions will not be the only one of Ruthie's goals that I remembered, the last one... :-)

Mij
01-09-2012, 06:22 AM
Any additions will not be the only one of Ruthie's goals that I remembered, the last one... :-)

Ssshhhhhh! Don't menshun that one :wink2: :lol: :D
jim

Mij
01-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Doug, I'm not gonna comment on your 1st para. It's just not done!
Yes I'll have to book a RC car session with grandson now and again :lol:

Sounds like you've been in the wars Robert. All that going on in the new year. It makes life just toooooooo interesting doesn't it!
It's good that Harry was on the ball and getting the con-man out. And Gorgia's SO getting irate. Plus the mystery PM notification. What an exciting life! Fair wears me out! :grouphug:

Deborah still under the weather? Hope you feel better soon.

Good goals from Ruthie and Charlie.

Now I have to get back into the swing of things this month....:angel:
jim

Mij
01-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Oh dear, drying rack arrived today. The top two racks (plastic coated wire) were bent and one hook bent beyond the pale - "it broke off in me 'and m'lud, honest!"
I did get the 40 rack jobby so those wont be missed - I don't see my self filling that number in a month of Sundays anyway. However - it could do with a diagram as (me being the impetuous youth that I still wanna be) put it together and wondered why it wouldn't stand up straight. I also had two lengths of steel square left over :lol:

Ok SCRUB ALL GOALS MENTIONED ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE FOR JANUARY

This drying rack is too big for the dining room - SWMBO says so! This means I will have to have a new set of goals - guys this an emergency!!!

So it's 'CLEAR THE CLUTTER FROM THE GARAGE' month:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'll break that down into manageable tasks.
1) List all stuff in the garage.
2) Nominate stuff for freecycle/recycle and stuff for keeping
3) Nominate stuff for the bin/tip
4) Do the car/trailer bit before I lose this car with the tow-bar when I replace it later this month (non art goal)
5) Wave bye bye to all my hoarding :crying: :crying: :crying:
jim :crying: :crying: :crying:

Colorix
01-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Ah, Jim, SWMBO has spoken, yours is to hop to it... :-D

Tick, one small study painted for Spotlight!

Mij
01-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Ah, Jim, SWMBO has spoken, yours is to hop to it... :-D

C'est la vie, twas ever thus Charlie.

Tick, one small study painted for Spotlight!

It looks good. Well good enough to eat assuming they are fried, poached or boiled. :thumbsup:
I'm still trying to see the colours in shadows and I'm obviously handicapped in that area. :(

I don't know if I'll get anytime this month to do any artwork, now that the garage needs clearing. I know that the trailer's reg. plate and stop/indicator lights are hanging from a bolt on one side. That'll need repairing before I use it.
jim

Colorix
01-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Jim, thanks!

Oh, I do hope you get some time for artwork. When it rains/snows/blows, at least. I shudder in horror over even contemplating cleaning the garage, my symphathies, Jim.

Deborah Secor
01-09-2012, 05:13 PM
And on that note from Jim and Charlie, I present..... straight from last month's goals (and November, but whose counting?)...that's right, you guessed it....

:music: TA DAHHHHHH:music: :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2012/23609-IMG_3711.JPG

Okay, so there's still a lotta junk that we need to be rid of, but hey, this is major! I've been married to this man for over 25 lovely years and this is the first time we've EVER had the car in the garage. :D :thumbsup:

Goals for the remainder of January for me are almost all non-art related, save painting for and minding the Gouache Corner thread.

Yes, I'm about 98% over the cough, but I'm afraid I've become sensitized to pastels. There are ways to cope, but for me the best way will be to paint outside, I think. I need a lot of fresh air! So, that will be a goal a bit later in the season. I'm a weather wimp. :wink2:

Colorix
01-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Deborah, inside the garage, actually inside! Congrats! I hope the sensitivity to pastel is temporary, as infections can take some time to heal completely.

Mij
01-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Well well well! Who'd have thought it was possible! A car actually, positively in a garage! I don't suppose that is a digital arrangement is it , it's an actual photo. :clap:

Well done that person! November's and December's goals combined. That should be worth celebrating but I'd guess that you are both too exhausted from the effort to do so. What an achievement. Well done that goalie.
jim

Ruthie57
01-10-2012, 05:04 AM
Doug, good goals!
Robert, thank goodness for your phone reminder. Sounds like a close call there. I hope you'll feel well enough now to go for those goals!
Jim, Sometimes goals must change with circumstances. Your primary goal this month may not now be the most exciting one. But I'm sure it will be a very satisfying one to achieve!
Charlie, your temporary goals will keep you going for a while. Good to get the presentation done early so you can be completely happy with it well before the day.
Deborah, Hurrah for a garage which fits it's original purpose :clap: :clap:

So far I've done one for the spotlight (it's disappeared though, for the time being). Nothing else really, especially with goal 4 :o

Colorix
01-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Jim, I was tired, forgot to say that sometimes a total change of goals is necessary (when She speaks :-). A more important goal gets priority (Her priority :-) (Teasing a bit, the rest is seriously meant.)

Ruthie, I'd repost it, if it was me, I've yet to see any recovered posts, since 1997.

I'm writing this as I sip my breakfast tea (at the crack of noon, I know...). I slept long, as I had an accumulation of 3 nights in a row with too little sleep. For some reason, the full moon does that to me. It must be the light, as even a shadowed moon causes tides and all that, the only difference is the amount of light it reflects.

I digress, I was going to say I'm free today, and can paint another Spotlight.
(Aren't you happy to know...) Seems I'm pretty much just babbling. I got used to having company when Husband had 3 weeks off over the holidays.

Seems I need to say: Get thee to the studio, Charlie.

Turpintine45
01-10-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm way behind with goals this month. I think all the traveling I did in the last few months has finally caught up with me. England to Dallas to home, Dallas to home and Chicago to home. I know some people do that in one week but that is a lot when you have one to two weeks with the grandchildren each time. I love them dearly but they do tire me out! Anyway that is my excuse!!!!
Robert sounds like a rough start to the year hope things settle down for you.
Doug good luck with WW they have a good program.
Jim shame you had to change goals but always best to keep everyone happy!
Ruthie that fourth goal..... Not needed!
Deborah, a car in the garage!!! Way to go girl!!!
Charlie you sound like me just catching up with sleep. At least you have a spotlight done!
So goals hmmmm.
1. Get rest
2. Get my puzzle piece done
3. Do at least one spotlight
4. Start walking
5. Clean out the closet
If I get that done I'll probably feel better!

DBfarmgirl
01-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Charlie- You're not the only one that can't sleep during a full moon. I lose a few nights sleep every month.

I'm only setting two goals this month-

-Try and dig myself out of the blue hole that is January.

-Try and get something, anything painted. I started my second sunflower acrylic, but I haven't gotten far and now it sits.....

I did get most of my December goals done. I even got more than the 15 needed pieces framed for my exhibit at the medical center. (I had 22 ready) Just not feeling much motivation, interest or energy. I think January is a rough month for a lot of people. Even with the nice weather here lately, the short days take a toll. I can't imagine Alaska this time of year! Blah.

My helleborus (lenten rose) are blooming, I'm trying to convince myself it's a sign of spring, not just a fluke weather pattern....

Colorix
01-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Groundhog time!

allydoodle
01-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Groundhog time!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I couldn't help it, you made me laugh Charlie!

Deborah Secor
01-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Deja vu all over again... but my car is still in the garage, whether you all can see it or not!

I hear this is the explanation. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14293822&postcount=13)

Mij
01-10-2012, 09:26 PM
I can't see it now so it must have been taken........:eek: :grouphug:
jim

Deborah Secor
01-10-2012, 09:28 PM
..and it's not the first vehicle I've lost...!

bluefish
01-10-2012, 09:30 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: .....very good Deborah........sums up the problem and the answer to it...........:lol: :lol: :lol:

maybe they could send the 'newbie' they hired to work on the system up there to retrive the missing data.......but he/she probably doesn't have a passport........:D

robertsloan2
01-10-2012, 11:09 PM
LOL waiting for all the stolen posts to be returned from the alternate universe where an entire civilization is springing up that worships art and centers their culture on painting the beautiful images that sprang from the universe and the mysterious celestial inspired words of all our posts and paintings... they will be great painters once they figure out which appendages to hold the pastels in...

Turpintine45
01-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Dada, dada, dada, dada. We are entering the twigh light Zone:D :D :D :D :D

Ruthie57
01-11-2012, 04:21 AM
What you said Robert!

Colorix
01-11-2012, 06:17 AM
Just don't hold your breath waiting for posts to reappear... We've been in this situation before...

Our vanished posts lead an interesting existence in yet an angled parallel universe, where they appear as mysterious downloads from Distantia Centauri, pasted all over the skies of the world, portending dire events, although they are indecipherable.

Second Spotlight painting half done, first one eaten by the Cybermonster (hungry bggr, that one).

spirothet
01-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Hi all,
With no goals posted yet, I corrected my Sean Connery Portrait (in Gallery) and posted one spotlight painting. So double tick for those. I also submitted all paper work for things that had been stolen from my home and now I wait to see what the payout will be. After that's all behind me, I'll get back to goal posting. It really works. Thanks, Cali

Mij
01-11-2012, 04:19 PM
I managed to get a short part of the day in the garage. So much needs doing. I have listed a page full. It turned three and got cold so I came indoors for a cuppa. I'll try again tomorrow. :( :( :(
jim

Turpintine45
01-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Hang in there Jim your junk my disappear yet Deborah's car did!:lol:

robertsloan2
01-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Jim, congrats on garage sorting especially when it's cold and nasty. Go you.

Still on the mend, still no progress. News - no moving to first floor this month, probably next month though. Was offered a possible swap but the room would have been too small for all my stuff and with needing to send for more... better to wait, since the moving process will also take time and energy.

Up side, it's still early in the day and I might do something today. It would rock if I can.

Colorix
01-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Jen! LOL! If only the method worked at home...

Jim, a good start on the project -- a cuppa! :-)

Robert, as long as the elevator works, it may be better for you to have some time to rest and recover.

Second spotlight painted, and posted on FB. (By the way, what is this "timeline" everybody is talking about?)

Deborah Secor
01-11-2012, 05:05 PM
:lol: There ya go--just take a pic and wait for the WC 'magic' to happen!

I posted three new paintings in the Gouache Corner. Hubby had a molar extracted this morning, so we're just hanging out today. I may paint more.

Robert, wait for the right move! It's too much to do not to have it be for the absolute best in all ways. Hang in there...

robertsloan2
01-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Purr thanks both of you! I'll see what I can do staying in and whether I can build up to having the energy to go out - while the elevator works. If it stays up for a few weeks things may be great.

Deborah, yay for Gouache Paintings! Sorry to hear about hubby's molar extraction, that's gotta hurt. Hope you can paint again.

I'll pace myself and see what happens.

Colorix
01-12-2012, 07:05 AM
My, yesterday's posts are still there! Let's hope it isn't just for now...

Mij
01-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Hang in there Jim your junk my disappear yet Deborah's car did!:lol:

That'd be good. Just put a photo of it on here and it'd disappear :lol: :lol: :lol: if only. I haven't got as far as the garage today and it's so dark with the sun low in the sky plus rain cloud threatening (it's on 3.46pm'sh) that I've drawn the curtains and put on the internal lights. I wont be going out there now :evil:
jim

robertsloan2
01-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Congratulations, Deborah! Whoohoo! That is magnificent! I guess it happens to everyone who has a garage, it turns into a storage room over time and then is almost impossible to restore to its original function. Yayy!

Good luck on yours, Jim, and on all your nonart goals. I hope you get ahead far enough that you can get some painting time too. At least say hello to your sketchbook maybe, as a reward for a strenuous cleanup session?

Charlie, purr! Yay for your goals and for the Spotlight. I haven't done mine yet either, still waiting for a day good enough to do my cat commission.

Today might be. I've got home care coming in, another substitute or the new replacement. I don't know which until they get here and I find out how well they do and how easy or hard communication is. I am starting to realize just how much Georgia helped me. She guided me on the bus system, she knew where things were and went with me if I needed to go somewhere new.

I wouldn't have found the big grocery without her. I've got the elevator now but I'm still lost on finding out what the nearest/easiest route to things is. Sometimes a place close enough to walk if I wasn't disabled isn't the easiest to get to by public transit. Paratransit isn't as good for my learning the city either, what I need is good days that I can spend Going Out For Fun. It would also help to have a little spending money for the explorations in case I run into someplace that has something I need cheap.

Need to tighten the budget in order to make that, so it's a bit like looking at food expenses in months when I had medical or arts commission appointments taking up the energy. I have to believe that the longer I'm here, one by one these barriers will go down if I focus on one at a time. This month I tackled the biggie with food, that's where most of the money drain was.

Storage is the next priority, especially vertical storage. Tall shelving units and small plastic tubs or drawer units that can be stacked are a way to get more stuff into a smaller room without making it unlivable. Some kind of closet organizer system that's shelving would be a major help, there's another place I could put a tall storage unit without losing space and use some that is currently hard to get into easier.

Cross your fingers and pray the 1907 elevator keeps working longer this time. If it's still working when I move downstairs next month I'll have much less trouble. The lady that was being evicted got her situation sorted out. Another that lives downstairs in a too-small room about four feet shorter than mine wanted to swap with someone to have enough space. Harry accurately said I couldn't keep my stuff in a room that small. Not if it's crowded at this size. But there's a guy moving next month so I'll wait till there's an opening for a first floor room the same size.

RainySea
01-12-2012, 01:06 PM
ok there is more weirdness going on. . . when I look at the listing of this thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=147) it showed robertsloan as the last post on 1-12, but when I open it the last post is mij on 1-10 *sigh*

Colorix
01-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Déjà vu, but this time, da car is back in da garridge!

And some later posts are missing, seems they can't go beyond 4 pages.

Deborah Secor
01-12-2012, 02:15 PM
And on that note from Jim and Charlie, I present..... straight from last month's goals (and November, but whose counting?)...that's right, you guessed it....

:music: TA DAHHHHHH:music: :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2012/23609-IMG_3711.JPG

Okay, so there's still a lotta junk that we need to be rid of, but hey, this is major! I've been married to this man for over 25 lovely years and this is the first time we've EVER had the car in the garage. :D :thumbsup:

Goals for the remainder of January for me are almost all non-art related, save painting for and minding the Gouache Corner thread.

Yes, I'm about 98% over the cough, but I'm afraid I've become sensitized to pastels. There are ways to cope, but for me the best way will be to paint outside, I think. I need a lot of fresh air! So, that will be a goal a bit later in the season. I'm a weather wimp. :wink2:

Okay, I'm amazed to see this again, but pleased! We're all gonna look like blithering idiots with all the repetitions and odd things said, contextually, but so what? :lol: This is a 'first' in my humble experience... Good job so far, mystery techie!

Mij
01-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Hi there Robert and you seem to be making it a day at a time. So the elevator is working. That's a bonus and yes I hope it stays working as well.
It'll make your trips so much easier with out the stairs to contend with at each end. A new carer to train - hmmm is that good?

I don't want the clutter returning happening here. Imagine I clear all the clutter and get a car in there - and all that clutter returns from whence it went!
Oh no no no no noooo! :eek: :eek: :eek: :grouphug: :lol:
jim (donning helmet and running for cover)

robertsloan2
01-12-2012, 04:40 PM
No kidding, Charlie. The equation just changed again. My new home care guy is a musician doing home care as a day job. He's great. He understood what I needed better than Georgia did - no communication problems even on the first day. No trouble explaining to him how to break down the Testrite Display Wall and bag it so it can go out with me. My room's less cluttered. Food's easier to get at. I can breathe a big sigh of relief - and he had no confusion at things like my saving empty peanut butter jars for food storage so that I can squeeze out art supplies or printing etc.

Most of all his attitude in life is very close in terms of working toward self employment, we get along well. Ari likes him. He petted the furball and really likes Ari, like most animal lovers he was stunned at how beautiful my cat is.

So now if I don't pass out for an afternoon nap I might be up to working on one of the commissions - hoping I do. Need to relax a little, eat, calm down and put the painting in reach when I get up for coffee.

robertsloan2
01-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Purr, thanks Charlie! Things just got one big step easier toward my going out at least one day this month to sell street art. My new home care guy is great. Best one yet. He understood everything from how I budget body energy and time to money - he's a musician and he's indie. This is his day job.

He packed down my Testrite Display Wall and it's ready to go but stashed in the closet out of the way, left room to put the mat boards and large pastel boards where that was and not impeding the dresser. I had things a little makeshift and now with a second day of organizing, everything's easier to get at. Setup Lite will be doable on my own. With help I could use the big setup and have my Dakota Traveller with me along with a vertical display.

I'm so far ahead on organizing that it's within reach to get set up to work on my cat commission today. I've got to eat first, but if I don't pass out to nap, I'll be good to paint and half done with the commissions. Whew! That's what to do this afternoon - put both commissions in reach and then if I'm still awake and up to it, paint. If not, at least be all set up to paint tomorrow.

Colorix
01-12-2012, 05:06 PM
An improvement, I can see page 5 now, while two hours ago it was only up to and including page 4... sigh.

robertsloan2
01-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Okay, this is spooky. I tried to post but my posts are vanishing. Testing...

robertsloan2
01-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Okay, the index showed that I posted, but I still don't see the post even after refreshing. If it's vanished - I got a new home care guy today. He rocks, a musician who understands everything I'm doing and knows how to handle equipment and supplies carefully because they're valuable. He helped me organize my art supplies and break down the Testrite Display Wall so it's ready to go if I get a ride for street art and help carrying my stuff. Setup Lite is of course ready to go already.

I might be up to working on one of my commissions today. Got it all in reach and ready to work on it and so far the afternoon's looking good.

It's just frustrating that my posts on just this thread vanish! I'm going to try doing this one as an Advanced Post.

Okay, that shows my post. So whatever kept me from seeing them, the glitch got solved or it's a glitch with just that view of the page. Weirdness!

robertsloan2
01-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Tiny Tick - I did the correction on the front cover of the book cover. Still need to draw the back cover and get the printer installed but that was something done today, much more than the past few days! Also everything's in reach for both now.

Turpintine45
01-13-2012, 04:22 AM
Okay this is a bizarre underground movement that can't be seen until you reply.I just saw new names but when I clicked on the page number nothing, but here you all are chatting away underneath. Now I get what Robert was saying!!! Okay I'm slow!
Glad your new chap is working so well Robert.
Looks like Deborah's car is back in but Jim's afraid his junk will fly back!! At least we all appear to be having fun while the techs have nervous breakdowns poor things.

Ruthie57
01-13-2012, 05:17 AM
So the goalpost seems to be OK now.....well, for the time being. Hope the Spotlight comes back above ground eventually.
Robert, your new home carer sounds great. Long may you keep him! You are always a positive person (or try to be) but, it must be great to have someone who can help you achieve your needs in a practical way.
Did you get onto the commission?
I've now done 2 for the Spotlight. I also have, in various stages of progress, 3 amazing brilliant magnificent possibilities for the get Dusty comp. Except they're not. One is cr*p, one has potential but is on canson and cannot be worked much more. The other is in my head. That's the brilliant one!!!
And I've lost 0.6 of a kilo.......

Colorix
01-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Wow! This thread seems intact, and it was fun to read the "ghost posts" we couldn't see yesterday.

Robert, so glad for you that you got a real human helper and not something from dungeon dimensions who could not understand simple human communication! How on earth can any hired help question the boss' need for empty jars? Do not all people have at least one of those glass jars, washed, in a cupboard, waiting for a good use?

(One good use is for mixing vinegar-oil-mustard for salad dressing. I prefer mine shaken, not stirred. ;-) Way easier on the wrist, and it mixes much better, especially if the oil is added bit by bit.)

Ruthie, yay for the two spotlights, and the weigh loss you acieved by weighing before breakfast. (Teasing, friendly teasing.)

It looks like my temporary goals will be this months goals after all. I'm still too wiped out (and SAD). When last autumn began, I felt recovered from the huge stress of my husband's illness (it was a too close thing several times). So I started to go full throttle (with turbo), but obviously wasn't up to it, so I 'crashed' at christmas (basically slept and ate for 2 weeks without getting bored with it). I will have to take it very easy for a while, so I will not start any new work with deadlines. Just keep up things as usual.

Deborah Secor
01-13-2012, 01:45 PM
<smacking head> I couldn't understand all the "page 4" an "page 5" talk, until I realized that I have the pages set to show to many more posts than the default. Now I get it! There are only three pages doing it my way...I did this years ago and just forgot that most folks see things differently. But it did mean that a lot of posts were still showing on my monitor, when pages were unreachable by others.

Robert, new guy sounds great! Hope you two have a long association. Rest, paint, plan--you're doing what you're able, and that counts. :)

Charlie, I think I can relate. I often become a 'human doing', scurrying around grabbing life with gusto during/after a crisis, as if I can paste it all together and make up for what didn't get done (and perhaps believing in the doing I will prevent anything else from happening, frankly.) You really have to take it easy now, it's true. After the stress of caring for my mom it's taken me over a year to find that place where I'm serene and able to do what needs doing, making good, sound decisions, even though they're hard ones. In my stressed out state (for me, that means not trusting God) I did some really bonehead things, like for some reason dismantling all my precious photo albums in the name of conserving space (?!?!!), and giving away the family linens (happily to a wise friend, who just returned them to me yesterday!) Enjoy the time at rest. Savor the cup of tea, the good music, making a lovely painting. Today is reality--not yesterday nor tomorrow.

Yay, Ruthie! Sounds like you're busy and happy. How much is .6 of a kilo? sounds like a lot to me! :D Isn't the one in your head always the brilliant one? Of course, and it should be, else why paint?

:lol: Jim! Take a photo of the before so when you get it all cleared away you can look with satisfaction at what you accomplished.

Okay, I sewed yesterday--making baby bibs--and today I must do my taxes. :eek: But that today's GOAL!!!

Turpintine45
01-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Yea were back AND Ruthie has lost some of herself!! I'll try and get on with some goals but I am feeling much like Charlie after all my traveling.

Ruthie57
01-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Charlie, Oh you are naughty!! lol Actually I weighed myself in the afternoon at the Home where Mum is. There's a very accurate weighing machine just outside her room. I shall weigh myself there each week....

Deborah, it's only just over a pound. A kilo is 2.2 pounds. I still have a long way to go!
The idea in my head is now on paper. At the moment it's still at an early stage, but, is still brilliant!!! I'm either at the point of a breakthrough or I will be very depressed this time tomorrow......
Jen, I seem to lose bits of myself all the time as I get older! I will be pleased to lose bits that allow me to get into my Jeans again though!

Deborah Secor
01-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Go for it, Ruthie! (Diet, weighing AND the brill painting...)

Okay, TICK! I did my taxes (gross receipts, due 1/25 here) and now I'm really, really feeling depressed. But they are done. :-/

I guess I need to go paint, to cheer myself up!

Mij
01-13-2012, 05:32 PM
DS said “*Jim! Take a photo of the before so when you get it all cleared away you can look with satisfaction at what you accomplished.”

I had thought of that – but it might be depressing to look at. All those tools and implements – I'll have to be positive about this knowing that all are going to good homes.

I'm glad that the goal post seems to be back on track, no hiding now – out with your goals :lol: .So Ruthie has achieved an unmentionable this week. I wont say what but will mention that two spotlights are two worthy goals.

Robert has a new carer who does. That is so with it. That must be extra helpful in so many ways. Long may it continue.

Ok Jen can now play us coming in from the cold in the twilight zone- da da something or other lol.

A couple of small ticks today as I went to art class, I also managed a bit of art in that I did a CP challenge here http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960771 It's right down the bottom of the page.
Perhaps I can get to some art after all.
Jim

robertsloan2
01-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Purr! Thanks all! Ruthie, congrats on .6 kilo! I know that is more than a pound, maybe a pound and a half, the conversion is 2.4 or 2.3 or something in between. Guesstimating it's over a pound. Yay for first results!

TICK!!

Today I got the Printer-Scanner sorted out! Gave up on finding the CD and just downloaded the drivers by googling the printer's name and model. Got the maker's site, sure enough there was a "download the drivers" link and it installed it perfectly. Works fine. Posting scanned sketch on the Scumble.

I also moved everything around to put Comet picture in reach and nothing sitting on top of the W&N pastels. Might be painting today. Hope so. Warming up to it. Ari beside me purring getting some snuggles first. Last Logistic Hurdle to these commissions sorted out - last big one anyway.

Before and After photos are a cool thing. Just don't look at the Before till after there's a cool After.

Colorix
01-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Ah, brilliance... if only we could display the image in our heads! (Fuzzy, not well composed, and rather vague :-)

Deborah, oh, you so nailed it. I became a Human Doing, for sure. I'm normally a Human doing it Right (as in 'the best way', and it ought to be deeply meaningful too, LOL!). Now I find I think I ought to be busy all the time, which is not normal me, who can lounge with chocolate and a book and feel it is right.

Jim, I'm with you, before pictures are less attractive (and way more embarassing) than the pretty After.

Robert, great the scanner got sorted! Hope you got to paint.

robertsloan2
01-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Wow. Charlie, I think you got it. The one thing I forgot on the big grocery raid. Box of chocolates for lounging with. Pratchett has been good for sanity.

Aelfwynn
01-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Not the whole thread is back, I see.... my post of my actual goals (which I can't remember all of anymore) isn't there. :crying:

Turpintine45
01-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Mercy report it to Dierdre the is a post from he says help ASP in the sticky part. Might as well be icky and get all of it. We don't want Charlie eating her hat for nothing.
Jim nice CP. Not easy to pull off wood like that but you did it.
Wish I was one of those cleaver people who can get a site and post it or I would post the Twighlight zone theme music for you!!
Didn't do much of anything today other than encourage my friend to spend big bucks on her new twin grandsons to be. It was a lot of fun followed by coffee and a sandwich. As the DH is away this mouse had supper out wasn't quite so nice coming home to a dark house though.

robertsloan2
01-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Well, no painting but I did the cleaver thing and got my printer/scanner up so this is a big step forward. Coming out of the crash is sometimes by inches. Class tomorrow morning, then home care with another new one. Hope tomorrow's is good too.

Jen, that sounds fun. Coffee and a sandwich, sounds like what I ate too. Hm, yeah that would be annoying coming back to a dark house.

Jim, I'll have to go check out your CP!

Aelfwynn
01-14-2012, 04:35 AM
Ok, I reported the missing posts --there's still that big gap from 1/04 to 1/07.

Colorix
01-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Mercy, phew, that saves me from eating the hat, thanks!

And Jen and Robert bring out their cleavers again, watch it!

Now I need to think up that extremely brilliant masterwork for the same contest as Ruthie.

Turpintine45
01-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Good grief I just read my last post and what a collection of errors in one sentence!!!:( (you would think I would have seen clever after Derek's comment too!) this iPad makes up stuff if I don't watch it which doesn't help!!!
Anyway getting out my cleaver, ready Robert!! :lol:
Don't worry Charlie you will think up something brilliant just go for a walk or sit under a nice bright light and day dream. Of course a couple of slugs of your favourite tipple might help too!

CM Neidhofer
01-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Two ticks off my list! Still hosting pastel puzzles, well, trying to. One puzzle project still missing.

Just submitted a piece to the Spotlight also. I may do another yet.

I guess the others are probably more long term, but I'll keep at it!

robertsloan2
01-15-2012, 12:18 AM
Yay Christine, go you for Spotlight!

We all deserve a spot of our favorite tipple tonight. Including me. Made it to class this morning, took five pages of notes, then while class was just winding down this afternoon my new Saturday home carer showed up. With much, much miscommunication quite a lot got done. She was very friendly and energetic, however a strong accent interfered in both directions. Everything needed to be explained in detail with further reminders about 1/3 of the time. Eventually she'll get used to my unique limits but until then things will be... interesting. She's not malicious though. Just had trouble understanding me and vice versa.

Turpintine45
01-15-2012, 01:39 AM
Robert it must be hard having so many different carers and having to explain so much to each one. Glad this was nice though.
Christine, hang in there. Hopefully the puzzle will show up again and we can complete it. Good for you getting a spotlight done.
I started a spotlight in my art group today but won't get back to it until Thursday.

robertsloan2
01-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Thanks. Yep, that's the hard part. I'm no better at giving orders than taking orders. I am not a team player. I limp to a different drummer. Stress costs me as much physical energy as activity thanks to the fibromyalgia, with a different flavor of pain. It was just starting to get under control with Georgia and then bang, when she was gone everything fell apart.

Today is my self-set deadline for getting those commissions done and I haven't done either yet. Somehow I have got to calm down enough to just do them, both of them, do them justice and get it done. Stress itself is self defeating. I should never have set a deadline, that's just too stupid.

Ruthie57
01-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Deborah, well done on the Taxes. One of those things that must be done!

Jim, I love your cp challenge work! I no longer have the patience for cp....I do, however, have a full set of Derwent Artist cps mouldering in the studio drawer :rolleyes:

Well done Jen and Robert for, er, brandishing your cleavers :wink2:

Charlie, hows the brilliant, magnificent......coming along?

Christine, go for goal!! I do hope puzzle one comes back to save it being re-started. Well done on the spotlight one!

Robert, hope you'll soon get these carers trained up. What happened to Georgia?

Jen, I look forward to seeing your spotlight painting!

Me, I've been working whenever it's light on my "brilliant" entry for the Get Dusty. Bit of a crisis yesterday with it. The values all seemed too similar and I couldn't seem to do anything about it. Anyway, I did a bit of brushing off today and then carried on. It was coming on better but, as the day went on, I started to think again that my lights weren't light enough, darks not dark enough, colours not bright enough etc. I then realised that the light wasn't actually too good so I turned the lights on.....Wow! Did those lights pop out and the colours gleam :clap: Another lesson for me....colours look dull in bad light :lol:

It will be finished tomorrow. At the moment I still like it :crossfingers:

robertsloan2
01-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Looking forward to your Get Dusty entry, Ruthie. Yeah, the light you have to work under can seriously affect how a painting looks.

Georgia no longer works for the company. My grocery trip on Jan. 3d was the last time I saw her. So now I've got new ones, they didn't even give me the same person for all three visits. I've got a good one on Tuesday and Thursday and one that needs a lot of training to work out for Saturdays.

Aelfwynn
01-15-2012, 06:48 PM
This is not really a goal tick-mark, but it's a Very Good Thing I did art-wise yesterday --I bought my first ever (no, really) digital camera. My husband has one, but it's so big and heavy that I can take like five photos with it before my joints start to hurt. This one is nice and small and compact (and pretty cheap) but has a decent lens and a FULL MANUAL mode that makes me happy and dual image stabilisation that makes it a lot easier to take photos out of a moving car or without a tripod in not-so-good light.

robertsloan2
01-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Awesome, Mercy! That's so cool. Glad you got one with a full manual mode. That's more advanced than the best I've ever had. I'm just glad my phone cam has HDR.

Mij
01-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Yes Charlie, I find those 'before' piccies somewhat depressing, besides I'd be looking at all the 'luverly junk' that I was obliged to give/throw away. I'm glad you don't have eat the hat you haven't got – could be embarrassing.

Robert I'm with you. What a pain trying to communicate through a heavy accent. I have to take the phone when we need online help as they are invariably in another country. To save embarrassment I will say I have a problem with my hearing (well it's not untrue) and if they repeat their statement it I'll probably get it LOL.
Don' you feel good when You get a printer working with an online driver or something. I walk tall for a few minutes after lol
Ok on the fave tipple...... I'll tell SWMBO that Robert say it's ok LOL.

Thanks Jen for the nice words about my log fence/wall whatever in CP. Id call that a happy acident.
It's always nice spending vicariously lol. Cheap on your own pocket. Lol We don't need fancy computer muzak Jen, just a few inventive da da da da's will suffice. LOL

Well done to the pastel puzzler putter-togetherer. I had to do a search to find out what that was, sounds interesting.

Hello Ruthie, tahnks for the commant on th CP work. Yes it is very time consuming. I started that in art class Friday at 10.40 (We start with a show and tell what we've done since last lesson) and finished it late Friday night. They do offer a very controlling medium but it does take a long time. I like the spotlights you have done, the eggs are excellent as are your cala lillies.

Mercy well done on the new digital camera. You wont know yourself with a new one of those, and not so heavy/bulky as yesteryears equivalent. I'd suggest having a good wrist strap if taking photoes out the window of a moving car though.

I like all the spotlite works. Everyone here has done a fine job. It looks as if I will be driving to Wales next month so I'd better get the little dog Rosie done./ I'll try that on softpastels on velour though.
Jim

Mij
01-16-2012, 04:08 AM
Seeing the errors in the foregoing post reminds me that I shouldn't post so late at night or the wee small hours of the morning :lol: :lol: :lol: .
jim

Aelfwynn
01-16-2012, 04:14 AM
Mercy well done on the new digital camera. You wont know yourself with a new one of those, and not so heavy/bulky as yesteryears equivalent. I'd suggest having a good wrist strap if taking photoes out the window of a moving car though.

Ha! I'm not planning on OPENING the window! :lol: This camera is too precious to me for that! But it does have a wrist strap.

robertsloan2
01-16-2012, 11:38 AM
LOL Jim, yeah, I get a lot of typos too sometimes. Don't always catch them, but trying is one of the reasons that on bad days I'll sometimes take four hours on a single post.

Well. I'm up this morning and feeling a bit better than yesterday. Might be able to tackle Comet the Mystery Cat today. He's so beautiful. Half of my procrastination is being afraid of messing up his whiskers...

TICK!!! Comet the Mystery Cat is Finished!!! Yay!

I still need to find the glassine and pack him for mailing, pay postage et al, but the really tricky bit of his finishing details is DONE!

robertsloan2
01-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Another little tick. Comet the Mystery Cat is now packed properly in a Priority Mail envelope with glassine and a bit of mat board taped to the art sandwich. Will insure of course when I order my postage, which is another task.

I'm going to rest now. I'll do the next step later.

Ruthie57
01-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Seeing the errors in the foregoing post reminds me that I shouldn't post so late at night or the wee small hours of the morning :lol: :lol: :lol: .
jim

We know what you meant though Jim! :D

Robert, great news about Comet :clap: Glad you're feeling better :thumbsup:

Today I "finished" my entry. It's signed and I think it's done. But I'll look at it over a day or two (not too many days....I start to find too much fault then). Then I must get a decent photo. Hard when there are both vertical and horizontal elements in the painting :rolleyes:

Then I tidied the studio a bit and started another spotlight one. If it were summer I'd still be out there until it was done!

robertsloan2
01-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Yay Ruthie! It sounds wonderful. Going to be tricky getting that photo. I agree it's tough. Sometimes I take the photo at an angle and use the Perspective tool in GIMP to square it up again, that works pretty well. Yay for a new Spotlight!

Wow, I may have time for Spotlight this month. Crossing my fingers on that...

Dougwas
01-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Hi Gang

Thought I should show my face.:o Sorry I haven't been around lately. A combination of things have halted my art, including an aching body, leaking water pipe, and lack of enthusiasm for painting. Luckily we caught the pipe in time, so there was no damage done. The body seems to be on the mend and I have been nosing around art sites and browsing art books to try to get the art engines going again. Does that happen to any of you? Is it burn out? I guess I was eating, breathing and living art for most of the day for quite a while, so maybe I just hit the wall. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow so painting will have to wait until Wednesday.

Again, I apologize for being an MIA host, but obviously you don't need me to keep this thread going. You all keep things running smoothly, missing posts and all.:lol:

Doug

robertsloan2
01-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Ouch, Doug. Aching body and stress over those distractions like the leaking pipes, general worries can shut down artistic creativity all by themselves. Then it feels like burnout even if it's not. Recharging for a while, getting caught up on things and dealing with the pain may help.

One of the ways I pull out of it when I lack enthusiasm is to do very easy sketches in my art journals, stuff that I do not need to sell and won't even be tempted to sell no matter how much I need money. If I push myself so hard that I can't keep any of what I create or give a piece away if I like someone, then I'm walking too close to the edge and eventually get burned out. It happens most often over money trouble and worries about falling behind.

That's where the little Ari gestures helped me get through a lot of minor ones. I'd still be able to do something, had that daily small reward of posting and friends complimenting it especially as they get better and better. That positive feedback is worth a lot, especially at times when I'm focusing too much on critique and getting perfectionist. Sometimes I've got to just play and be glad it came out cool.

I missed you, so glad you're back. The thread does roll on while you're MIA but you're one of the major characters in this ensemble. Hope you start feeling better soon! Unless it's contraindicated by your meds, maybe kick back with your favorite tipple tonight and get dusty just for fun.

Little tick - said hello to my Art Journal again today, first journal sketch is an Ari from a photo on the page with last year's last sketch.

Turpintine45
01-17-2012, 03:36 AM
Doug, I think everyone gets days or even weeks when art just doesn't seem to appeal and we can't rev up again. Like Robert if I am not in the mood I just do some sketches or doodles in my sketchbook and if I do something fine if not do something else you like to do. It will come back and off you will go again better for the break. Good to see you back.
Well done Ruthie at finishing your brilliant idea! Good luck with the photographing.
Robert well done finishing the cats they look great!
Hope you keep well for a while.
It was a beautiful day in Arkansas today. 70 degrees with a brisk wind blowing the leaves around. As DH is still away I flung open the windows and doors. Apparently Americans or mine in particular don.t like fresh air.
I stripped beds,washed mats, emptied trash and washed while " singing" my head off!

Then I attacked the bathrooms, vacuumed and washed floors and skirting boards. Then my back said "are you crazy woman" and I collapsed in the recliner!!! I'll probably pay for it tomorrow but the house smells clean and I am still happy. And yes I know many people do that every day but I'm not one of them! At least not since the kids grew up.

Mij
01-17-2012, 04:01 AM
It's nice to know that you have time to do some competitive art Ruthie, I'll look forward to seeing that soon then. It's too cold for you to be out in your studio and me to be out mooching around the garage.

Hi Robert, yes I have used Gimp and it's perspective tool here as well. Usually to square up other's paintings as I cannot fully appreciate them properly until then. It does a good job on them as well.
I did report the damage on the drying rack but as I couldn't see me filling it either, I was unmotivated to pursue it any further and said so. But told them the damage so that others reports would ring true.

Sorry to hear you are under the weather Doug, yes I suppose it could be a sort of wall. Best pace yourself more in the future , but you will be best positioned to analyse this and treat it as you find. Yes I did miss your input so it's nice to catch up with you again. I hope that the Dr can get you some relief. Pain is so debilitating.

Our goals are taken over by events sometimes and mine have this month. My art goals were brushed aside by the need to get some space in the garage but it's so cold out there.

Then SWMBO decides it is time she took a visit to S/Wales again but this time it looks as if I'll be driving.

As a pastel of a little dog is due there I really should get on and do that one. I'll need to do it in time to get it framed before we go. It started out as an oil pastel but after four aborted attempts I have decided to go with soft pastels on velour. We are booked for the month of March but I'll need to get the exact dates for the organizer.
jim

Ruthie57
01-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Robert, thanks for the tip about gimp. I still haven't sussed out whether to download this or another freebee or buy PS Elements. Maybe I'll make that a goal for next month (maybe I won't ;) ) I hope you do get to do a spotlight. Must say the lesson this month has brought some lurkers out of the woodwork!

Doug, At least the leaky pipe isn't part of your body :evil: Good to see you and I hope you soon overcome the "block" and the other problems.

Jen, wow, you've been a whirling dervish with your Spring cleaning :thumbsup: Now you can take it easy for a few months :wink2:

Jim, I have a heater in my studio! Unlike your garage I don't find it at all difficult to go out there. I often find it hard to come back in though! Off to South Wales again eh, you must get that dog portrait done then! Hubby and I are going to Wales for our Summer holiday...yeah, I know, why go somewhere where it rains all the time :confused:

Now I'm in a quandary about my Dusty entry. I like it, it's complex and some bits are quite good! But I've just looked at the image of it next to the last one I did which I had rejected in favour of this one and.....I can't decide which to submit!!! Thing is the other has more impact (more darks) and is generally bolder although maybe not as well done.

So a question for you all.....2 paintings, 2 competitions......
One of the comps is huge (UK and further afield) with categories into which an entry must fit. The other comp is the Dusty...much smaller, so I know my entry will be seen. For this month there is no subject...free choice. So which painting would you put in which comp???

OK, thanks for listening. I think I may have decided......or maybe.....:lol:

robertsloan2
01-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Jim, sounds good! Definitely finish up the little dog next, it's so liberating to have a free schedule. I'm going to be doing the book cover tomorrow, health permitting. Today I'll do well if I get a sketch done - home care this morning and Small Group Ministry this evening.

Ruthie, definitely try Gimp before buying something paid. Gimp is powerful and does everything PhotoShop does. Probably more than "Elements." Also, I can help you with Gimp where I can't help with any of the for-pay ones because I was so satisfied with Gimp.

Tough choice if you have two entries and they're both good! I wish you luck with that. If you message me thumbnails of both I'll give a personal opinion.

Judibelle
01-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Cant believe it's been 'several weeks' since I've posted....but WC just sent me a note to that effect, and asked me to post!

So here I am....Like Doug...life sort of got in the way. Have done literally NO painting...a few sketches in the sketchbook (nothing to write home about), but just no enthusiasm, even though the Spotlight photos are calling to me.
(I can tell it's been a while since I've typed...keep making typo errors.) Hope I've caught them all...
Each day I think "this will be the day''....but it never is.
Glad to see the goals being met by you-all...should inspire me. Maybe tomorrow...

Colourist52
01-18-2012, 04:41 AM
Hope that you get into the Painting Zone soon Judi, I understand exactly what you're going through.

It's been awhile since I posted anything, I've been in the NO PAINTING ZONE now for nearly two months. It feels a bit like the TWILIGHT ZONE now, because I can't seem to get out of it! Everything was fine until we went on a two week holiday towards the end of November. I took my sketchbook, did sketches, took lots of photos. When we got back I moved into my new studio and thought that this is what would fire me up again. How wrong can you be? I think that all the holidays have disrupted my everyday schedules and I just can't seem to get back into it again. Everyday I wake up with strong intentions to get out there and start on something but it hasn't happened yet. The worse thing is that I have to go away again in two weeks time to see my sister in another state, another disruption.

While I've been typing this I've decided I'll set myself the goal of doing a small sketch of one of the spotlight photos. Hopefully now that I've committed myself here in print I'll come up with the goods!

Good luck to everyone else with their goals this month.

Judibelle
01-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Julie....so glad you understand, but sorry you are going through this, too....

I did get inspired this morning, and did the peppers for the Spotlight. Probably wont post them though. I'm actually feeling very intimidated by all the gorgeous work being posted. But at least I DID it.

robertsloan2
01-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Julie and Judy, wow. I thought it was just me and that it was mostly because of having overexerted for so long since the move. When I stopped and took a break over the Holidays, I thought I'd be able to get my momentum back immediately. Instead I had weeks of just doing nothing - not so much as a cat sketch until I got the cat commission done.

I think you're on to something with habits being disrupted, Julie. Getting started takes effort. Keeping going when starting is a routine is relatively easy, but without good habits it's hard to create them again. It takes three weeks to establish a new habit and that's if there's no reason not to do it, nothing interfering with it. A new studio is a completely different environment. You don't know where everything is on body memory. Things that used to be reflex are now conscious and take effort. Also if supplies are put away neatly, they're not sitting out tempting you to use them.

One of the things I bought that really helped me get in the swing of things artistically was a 72 color set of Unisons. I got the "Signature" set in an aluminum box with a clear lid. So unlike all my other pastels, when that box is sitting out closed, the colors are there in chromatic order being an active temptation to paint.

It might be worth it having someone build clear tray covers out of Lucite or something when I get a studio. Something that leaves my supplies visible but dust-free and safe from my cat.

Judi, post your Spotlight peppers even if you feel intimidated by some of the best ones posted. You did it. I'd like to see it. Everyone will be gentle and helpful because we always are. Knowing you, they might be better than you think they are. If you can see a problem with them, explain that in asking for critique, ask for a brainstorm on what went wrong. Those same really good experts are always happy to teach.

I might be doing mine quite small in pastel pencils this month. I'm wiped out physically today - day of rest after going out last night - but I've got my pastel pencils in reach and they don't take much cleanup either.

Colorix
01-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Doug, it happens, that dirth of ideas, of will. Enjoy the time, you get to do things you've neglected, have fun, read books, watch movies, get air, meet people, and before you know it, the urge is there again.

Robert, yay for finishing the cats!

Ruthie, with the conundrum of having two good paintings! The big one, does it prohibit entering the same painting in another competition?

Julie, well, you're committed now! We'll ask you about it.

Judi, oh, please do post the Peppers, I know it will be a lovely one. Only ever compare your work to your own previous work, not to other people's. (I know... we tend to compare...)

Ruthie57
01-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Judi and Julie, here's to getting back into art! It'll come.......

Robert, thanks for your opinion on my possible entries!

Charlie, I never said they were good!!! I just said I like them.

I know what to do now. It has become clear. The one with the most impact needs some more work and then will go in the big comp. The other, which only needs a few tweaks, will go in the dusty. If it gets a place or a mention that'll be great! If it doesn't I will still have time to enter it for the big comp. I can only enter work which has not been published...if it gets in the scribbler magazine it will have been published!

And I must tell you all my news. You may or may not remember I had some paintings in a local gallery which, a year ago, sold one for me. I have had 3 paintings there for the last year and, this morning, I got a cheque in the post. My "dying swan" ballerina has finally sold!!! That made my day for sure!

Turpintine45
01-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Hey Ruthie great news!!I remember that one and it is gorgeous. I am glad that one has found a good home.
Will comment more later as I gotta run!

Colorix
01-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Ruthie, wowza! Congratulations, it is beautiful!

I'm planning two Scribblers at the mo, and procratinating on painting.

robertsloan2
01-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Ruthie, congratulations on selling your "Dying Swan" ballerina! I remember she was beautiful, you really handled her well. So happy for you!

Silly, both of your paintings ARE good. Very good. Listen to Charlie, she knows. Tweaking is a refinement at your level of skill and I'm sure you'll push "good" up to "finite perfection" but don't think they didn't work without it.

Judi, listen to Charlie. She's right. I should have said it and I'll second this now for you and everyone: Only Compare Your Progress To Your Own Previous Paintings. We're all adults here, we all started late or didn't all had this or that class, all had this or that experience, all grow at our own pace in our own directions.

You are well past the point where some beginners are intimidated by your paintings, especially your recent landscapes. So relax about it and post anyway. I found that I grew faster when I didn't compare what I did with anyone else but just with my own past stuff.

Did a page in my Art Journal today and painted the silly Vitamin D pill that I've been raving about its color and shape. First color study of it done. I might set up a miniature still life of pills and paint them quite large in pastels sometime using the School of Light and Color method - white pills with full color seeing in their modeling shadows could be very dramatic but I think I could get some other pills into it to make it more interesting than just white and green - maybe some antacid tablets for pinks and blues.

Turpintine45
01-19-2012, 01:53 AM
Lol Robert, I have a lovely red vitamin D pill plus an array of white pink,peach blue, cream purple, brown pills in a wide range of shapes and sizes. Maybe we should have a pill painting competition for aging Baby Boomers!! we could srart a whole new painting movement like pop art only this will be pill art!

bluefish
01-19-2012, 07:48 AM
any 'brownish fuchsia' pills?......:lol:

Judibelle
01-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Robert and Charlie…
Thanks so much for the ‘pep’ talk! I think the ‘intimidation’ feeling partly comes from feeling disappointed in myself, for what I see as a lack of progress on my part. Hopefully that will change as I get back into art again, after the blahs hiatus.
So, ok, I will post the peppers, and have already started the tulips, which I am already disappointed in, as they don’t really look like tulips. Will have to see if I can brush off and start again….we’ll see…

Ruthie....congrats on your sale!

robertsloan2
01-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Yay, Judi, looking forward to your peppers and your tulips when you're done. Post it however it comes out, even if there's a problem a brainstorm may help solve the problem.

Jen, that would be an amusing challenge. Tempting to post it on the Drawing from Life forum in the Scavenger Hunt "Do a still life of your medications." People who just aren't ever sick can use vitamin supplements or cold remedies and so on. I always thought the Nyquil and Dayquil gelcaps looked cool too - they're the red and blue pills from the Matrix. Yep. Neo was offered a choice of cold remedies for whether to see beyond the Matrix or not.

Bluefish, if there is such a thing as a brownish fuchsia pill, I'm sure you'll find it.

robertsloan2
01-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Well, I did my Pastel Puzzle Painting piece this morning while my home care guy Mack is downstairs doing my laundry. It came out pretty decent for what it is. I got my piece from Christine before the great vanishing pages glitch... and after I painted it checked the project.

Whoops, the whole project's gone. The second puzzle painting project's listed, but the one I signed up for isn't there. So I don't know what's happening with it and hope it gets restored or Christine posts it again.

Colorix
01-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Judi, good for you, I'll pop over and have a look!

Robert, good you got one done! I guess they might still try to revive the first project.

Gnh! I actually felt a bit of energy today, wanting to paint, and even started one, but... I'm making a horrible mess of it. Some hours wasted and some fine paper that will become experimental ground. Unless I feel better about it tomorrow. I fear I started too light, and got a chalky look. Might be because it was white Pastelmat, and I've painted on darker Fisher for a good while.

All day tomorrow will be spent in museums with friends who live far away. No painting time, but a holiday will be nice and the people are great. Looks like we're going to see the unique (for us) Russian exhibition. Repin and the guys.

Turpintine45
01-20-2012, 12:55 AM
Grrrr. Just wrote a long bit in here and the whole post went into the ether!
Yes "Blu those brown pills of mine would be perfect for brownish fuscia and I nearly said but thought no that will just set Blu off again!!!:)
Robert great idea or maybe Don could come up with a great lesson incorperating pills of different shapes and hues. Maybe a repetion in design or something wonderful!
Glad you got your puzzel piece done the puzzel one post was up just now.I still have to do mine. I was waiting until it was decided what to do.
Julie your peppers are great.
Charlie nothing you do is ever a mess.
Have a great time with your friends looking around wonderful museums and come back inspired!

Mij
01-20-2012, 04:32 AM
Well done on the sale Ruthie, that is nice to hear – kerching! Is what the youngsters say I believe. And you have a decision on which painting enters a competition as well. I thought you said you came indoors from the studio implying that it was weather motivated – yes no heater here in the garage – yet!

Robert, good on you for finishing the cats. I haven't got the tutorials for Gimp but GIYF. I can always go there if I'm unable to figure it out.

Judibelle I saw your peppers in the spotlight and they are fine. What was you worried about? But I know what you mean:thumbsup: I have let my WC go and felt like that but, have twisted my own arm and got back in so a small tick here. One of my original goals was a WC this month......too cold to do anything else. It's at :-
http://www.paintdoodles.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5100&PN=2&SID=3719293fab8b623211656363ce1ecf81&SID=3719293fab8b623211656363ce1ecf81
scroll to the bottom of the page if you want to see it.

Jen a series on pills! And why not? Good practise on cylinders at an angle. Thanks for the warning about losing posts - I have done this in the past and write a text document these days (IIRC) first and don't delete it until I have posted.

SWMBO has altered things again, we now have visitors this weekend so our studio reverts to a dining room. BIL has started sketching so I hear......wossmore he has joined an art group. Tell me more I say...
Off to art group this morning.
Jim

robertsloan2
01-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Purr, that's right! Pills are basic geometric forms, very good for drawing practice and painting colors, especially white pills reflecting anything near them.

Christine is going to put together Puzzle Painting 1 when all the pieces come in, either start the project again or just post it in a thread for those of us who joined. I'm looking forward to seeing mine in context and grateful she did. I also signed up for Puzzle Painting 2 and got my piece - lovely piece with lots of interesting detail in it.

Charlie, your museum trip sounds like fun! Inspirational. I know it would be for me. I'm still hoping to have a) a free day of feeling good and b) the money left in budget to go out to a museum here one of these months. It will take a few more to get to that point but I can dream.

Jen, so cool you have brownish fuchsia pills. I knew someone had to have some.

Turpintine45
01-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Well got a spotlight done so tick!

Deborah Secor
01-20-2012, 02:09 PM
You all are so busy and happy--nice to visit here and read up on your last week... I can't possibly keep up, but I come round now and again.

Ruthie, sales are fun, aren't they? Good one!

Robert, why doesn't Christine just make the project into a thread instead? That system is a mess, and it's never a priority with the techs because too few use it. We've done puzzle threads in the past and they worked just fine... just thinking out loud here, as I'm not in charge, of course. :)

Charlie--Repin? KEWL! I love the Russian painters and would adore being right there beside you. Do tell us about it...

Jim, glad you're off to the art group. Sounds like fun.

Jen, don't you just hate it when you type out a lot and it misfires??? :eek: Hate that! Oh well... I just go back to painting, or lately to sewing, which is so much less technologically challenging. And um, I can see the movement now: The Pill Period Painters. :lol:

I'm just plugging away on various little projects, from sewing baby bibs, to painting my little gouachies, to studying the Bible and church history, while keeping up the everyday things like cooking and cleaning and laundry. Today I want to make a few more old-tee-shirt scarves to give my college aged friends this weekend, so I'll mosey down to Goodwill and shop for $1 tees. Did I show my fun, easy project here?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2012/23609-IMG_3763_sm.jpg
(No sewing--all cutting, pulling and tying. Fun!)

Turpintine45
01-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Deborah those scarves are so cool.so how do you do it? My scarf wearing daughter would love them!

Deborah Secor
01-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Jen, thanks. They're easy and fun. There are tutorials all over the internet, but this is the one I used (http://www.ettestudios.com/2011/03/diy-recycled-tshirt-scarf-roundup.html). Literally use an old t-shirt, cut strips about 1" wide to make loops, and stretch them out to form the 'spaghetti'. Loop them all together and tie. Ta-da! Easy-peasy. Takes no more than an hour, if that. :wink2:

Turpintine45
01-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Great! Thanks Deborah! :thumbsup:

Ruthie57
01-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks all for the congrats on my sale. I called Gallery Lady today and agreed to have the other 2 back. She's had them for a year. One of them is quite cute (a horse), the other is cr*p and I'm itching to get it out of the frame so I can re-use that frame!!! Anyway, she wants more, preferably ballet ones. She was curious about my landscapes but I told her I had not yet done one which satisfies me! Nothing like selling yourself is there........

Robert, Jen, Blue....I guess I'm lucky as I don't have any pills to paint. Maybe you would send me a ref photo??? LOL

Judi and Jen, Spotlight is my next stop.....

Charlie, I will believe you when you say you're making a horrible mess....though to us mere mortals it would be an inspired masterpiece!! (Sorry, I get more like Robert every day....absolutely no offence Robert. You and I are open mouthed followers of Charlie's work)
Still. it's encouraging to hear you say you're making a mess. I started a Swan on Wednesday (yes, my previous favourite subject) and, well, if you want to see a mess....come to Norfolk , England!!!
Jim, you must get a dedicated studio! Mine is just a summer house in the garden........Er, maybe your garage???
Deborah, that scarf looks great! You are a very artistic person in so many different ways!

I have just ordered some bespoke cardboard boxes in which to store my artwork. (I was looking for a painting yesterday and couldn't find it....still haven't found it). So, when they arrive a goal will be to sort, pack and catalogue my artwork so I can find things!

Colorix
01-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Too tired to type tonite, will respond properly tomorrow, so thanks for the confidence, and you guys are doing great!

Ilya Repin, and tons of others, really interesting exhibition, I'd love to tell about it. Tomorrow. I'll faint into bed now.

Deborah Secor
01-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Jen, just so you know, I just tried making another of those scarf thingies and all the stretch in the tee was gone. It didn't work! :(

bluefish
01-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Deborah

those scarves you are making are really cool......bet the 'girls' would love a 'brownish fuchsia' one.....hot color on campus this year......:D

maybe the dollar store would have some brownish fuchsia 'Tee Shirts' you could cut up......best of luck with your project.....

been working on the pan pastel paintings....two weeks to go for the demo to the art association......sure wish you were here to show them your wonderful 'sky paintings'.......nobady paints skies like you......'blue :wave:

Turpintine45
01-20-2012, 10:04 PM
That's a bummer Deborah. Do they have to be 100%cotton maybe or with some spandex? Maybe do some label checking.

robertsloan2
01-21-2012, 07:19 PM
LOL Ruthie! The prettiest over the counter ones are Vitamin E (they're clear golden color) or Dayquil (clear orange-red) or Nyquil (clear deep blue), any of those are cool. I guess there's photo references in ads for these pills too, but I might try to set up a still life sometime and do a good photo.

Interesting cut-up t-shirt scarves, Deborah. Rather stylish looking, I can see why you wanted to make them. It looked like it'd be tricky at the stretching and rolling stage though. Hope you can figure out those instructions and try again. Recycling is always cool.

I'll probably never have any shirts that would be good crafts candidates though since I wear favorites till there's more holes than fabric.

Made it to class this morning! Saturday home care lady did the bed and is now out on an errand to pick up stuff at Walgreens and the corner tobacconist for me, sparing my back from having to go out that far. Maybe this evening I'll feel up to sketching something. Tomorrow's goal - finish up the book cover commission.

Anne Bour
01-23-2012, 10:48 AM
My goal this year is to learn even more the art of pastel. Basis through this site, with members so nice, I hope to share my love for pastel. Thank you!
And of course, well-being of my children.

Mij
01-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Yes Ruthie, I will get a dedicated studio – in the garage come warmer weather. :lol: Some bespoke cardboard boxen eh?
That sounds like a good idea. I have a similar problem.

Nice looking scarves Deborah but you need tee shirts with some stretch still in them.

Robert you seem to be doing ok with the help person doing the immediate errands. I know how helpful that is as I do a few errands for SWMBO.

Hello to Anne a new name to me and a good long term goal for this coming year.

My goals have been hi-jacked yet again. Sis was heading home after her Christmas along the motorway and wrote off her car. Thank goodness it was only the car and her pride that got dented. Luckily she wasn't even scratched. To enable her have a low mileage 'with two years of warranty' to go she will have mine and I'll get another. I will have to deliver though, some miles away. Come back by train.
It looks like my favourite is the courtesy car I had whilst they did the first MOT on mine.
Ah well such is life.

Turpintine45
01-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Totaling cars can quickly revise your plans. I'm glad she wasn't hurt. It was kind of you to give her yours.
Anne: welcome. Sounds like doable goals.
Well I did a WDE tick! I will try and do another and another spotlight hopefully.

robertsloan2
01-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Jim, that's so awesome of you to give her your car. I'm glad she wasn't hurt. You rock, man.

Jen, congrats on your WDE tick!

Wonderful goal, Anne! This forum is so stimulating that I've been improving every year, it boggles me sometimes how much I've learned.

Another looming deadline hit my forehead this morning, something like stepping on a rake. I thought I had till about April to finish the 2012 Sketchbook Project. Nope. I've got till the end of the month to get it done and still need to do the book cover commission. This is getting scary. I'm falling behind on everything all at once and when I collapsed over the holidays, all my deadlines bit hard at the same time. Got to calm down and hope I can get something done today. Like push myself on the book cover that's almost done.

Colorix
01-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Test...

Blood and ashes! I just wrote a long thoughtful comment to several of you cheering you, and told about the exhibition, and when I hit post I got "Forbidden!", and backing up didn't give me the text.

Sigh. Another time, have to go.

robertsloan2
01-24-2012, 05:17 PM
That bites when it happens, Charlie. It's happened to me before on this thread and others. So frustrating. More of a site glitch than anything else.

Just when I didn't need any more setbacks, this morning my iPhone stopped working when I tried to put in a doctor's appointment on February 10th. I'm so annoyed - now I need to dig out the packaging to find its serial number because it's hung up and won't even go back to the main menu again.

Mij
01-24-2012, 06:22 PM
this morning my iPhone stopped working when I tried to put in a doctor's appointment on February 10th. I'm so annoyed - now I need to dig out the packaging to find its serial number because it's hung up and won't even go back to the main menu again.

Hi Robert have you tried rebooting the phone by removing the batteries for two minutes and then putting them back in again?

It works on most software driven thingies.
Just a thought and will only take a coupla minutes
HTH
Jim

robertsloan2
01-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks, Jim. No, I got it turned off but haven't got it open or anything. I finally managed to get through all the trouble with getting a repair ticket. I have an appointment tomorrow at the Apple store for repairs, they will repair or replace it within an hour after I get there. Thanks to the phone support people I'm a lot less worried - she managed to walk me through backing up everything on the phone to iTunes, where if they do just replace the phone I can get all my pictures, phone numbers, calendar appointments and so on back.

She did walk me through turning the phone off and then on again but I haven't tested it yet. If it works when I test it, I might cancel the repair appointment. It's not easy to see a battery compartment when I looked at the back though, unlike the Mobile Hot Spot where I have to pull the battery and reboot it every now and then.

But at least the warranty is still good so if it's a hardware issue they'll repair it, if it's a software issue they'll repair it and it'll cost $29.99. This bites but at least I'll have it working again tomorrow night.

The trouble just happened when I was trying to put a new appointment into my calendar - the touch screen quit working. It was really frustrating. The cool thing is plugging it into my computer let me get all the information backed up.

I haven't emailed myself all of my photos. Only a few selected favorites. I have months of cat pictures in it, some of them wonderful, many are great references to work from. Also cool photos of San Francisco from various outings.

Now I'm just calming down from the flare. There went the possibility of accomplishing much this afternoon, since my fibro went off big time with it. I might as well just try to relax and wait to see if I feel better later.

robertsloan2
01-24-2012, 08:58 PM
LOL - Jim, thanks to your suggestion I tried the calendar again. Turning it off and on during the service appointment cleared up the problem. Bright side, I don't have to go out and waste tomorrow too. Down side, I owe $29.99 for the service call because it wasn't a hardware problem. Ow ow. But at least the phone is working again.

Thanks for mentioning it. I did need the service call in order to figure out how to turn the dang thing off and on anyway, so I would still have needed to do it.

Mij
01-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Oh I am pleased that it is up and working again. So just switching it off then on does it ok?
Also that you are coming down off the flair up.

We have radio 'door chimes' here which when the door bell-push gets wet (when the window cleaner calls) I have to take the chimes out of their mains plugs (one downstairs and one upstairs) for a minute to reboot them so that they will work.

I rushed down the stairs the other day when the chimes went only to find the postman at the house opposite and they had installed the same radio bell-push!
:lol: :(
jim

robertsloan2
01-25-2012, 01:01 AM
That was what worked, but the flare up is still going on. Pain is running very high and I haven't done anything today except deal with that crisis.

LOL about the identical radio bell-push! That's going to drive you nuts. Cool that's how you discovered it though. It works on my Mobile Hot Spot too, most times I don't need to go so far as open it up and pull the battery. Just turning it off and back on is usually enough.

Guess it's just something about electronics I have to live with. At least I know what to do if it happens again.

Turpintine45
01-25-2012, 02:04 AM
Oh Robert don't you just hate when our beloved electronics let us down. Glad you are back in business and hope you get a good nights sleep and the flare will have calmed down again by morning.
Well I got another WDE done. Tick.
Next I have to paint gears on a switch plate for my grandson. Grandpa fixed some moving gears on it which I can take off to paint some more. If it turns out I will show you.
Charlie bummer loosing all that interesting news. It happened to me the other day.

Mij
01-25-2012, 04:03 AM
That was what worked, but the flare up is still going on. Pain is running very high and I haven't done anything today except deal with that crisis.
I am sorry to hear that Robert, like Turpentine I hope you got a good night's sleep and the flare-up starts to decrease this morning.
Pain is so debilitating and it gets to be tedious as well after a while.
jim

Colorix
01-25-2012, 05:53 AM
Robert, so sorry you're going through all that pain. Hope it lessens real quick. Good you got your gadget working again.

Deborah, cool t-shirt necklace/scarf/thingy.

A new try at the Russian exhibition: These were from the time before the revolution, and they made me think of Corot. The group is called something like "the walking artists", as they went out and painted, they painted everyday scenes, and they (gasp!) talked to the workers they painted. And they were not afraid of colour. Every painting was a story. So it was sort of Corot + colour + a stern Norman Rockwell.

The museum had outdone itself by placing texts by the paintings, explaining things about the Russian culture and practice at that time. It really helped the understanding. A woman beaming at us while standing in front of a scene with a desk and some serious looking people behind the desk, with some other people in front of it became clear when we found out that it was sort of a small claims court which the tzar allowed ordinary people to hold. It was a way of loosening up a lot of restrictions, and allowing the people some say about things.

They tended to put the COI in the foreground, and it was always people. The landscapes were simply background to the action. And action there was, they painted people's emotions and reactions. (Hence N. Rockwell.)

Really cool to learn something about the history of our large neighbour in the east.

Tick! One painting reworked and finished and entered in PGE's Get Dusty.

Ruthie57
01-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Anne, welcome! Stay around here. You will learn so much on the pastel forum!

Robert, bummer about the phone and the $ it cost for the call. But if it gets it back working it will be worth it. I hope you're feeling better today :crossfingers:

Charlie, the "Russian" exhibition sounds really great. Glad you enjoyed it but what a shame your post was gobbled up.

Me, I've also entered my painting for the Dusty. Closing date is today and we have Jackie Simmonds as our judge! You can see all the entries by following my link, going to member competitions and taking it from there. what I like about this competition is that there is no theme. Members can enter what ever they want (as long as it is predominantly pastel of course). There are many and varied subjects and styles represented. Very interesting!

Haven't heard anything from the cafe man but my friend and I will remind him by going to his cafe for a cup of coffee soon.

And my boxes arrived today! This will be a goal for next month.........

Edit - ooh nearly forgot. I weighed myself at the home again today and have lost another .4 of a kilo. So that's a whole kilo gone....2.2 pounds!!

robertsloan2
01-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Yay for your painting and Dusty entry and losing 2.2 pounds! That's magnificent, Ruthie! Well done!

Purr, yay Charlie for your Dusty entry too.

Jackie is awesome, she'll be a great judge. Looking forward to seeing who gets the big prize. I love the PGE.

Today was just as painful but I put a rein on the panic and decided to start with the bit that was in reach. I scanned the front cover and put the title on, got the dimensions worked out for the final version (wrap around file at 300dpi for the entire cover) and typeset the spine too in Gimp. Now all I have left to do is draw the back cover which is a much smaller drawing than the front cover. I found my printed-out reference photos too, that really helped.

A couple of weeks ago when I got my home carer to move my furniture, I ran around searching and found all the stuff to do it, then put it all in reach without getting out of my chair. That was a good thing to do.

Now I've just realized that yeah, this is a good reason to just take an extra pain pill. Give it an hour for that to work and then see how my hands feel. There are times when it's better to do that than to just endure, because I think if I can get this done today I have a spitting chance at doing justice to the Sketchbook Project 2012 in time - without having to do 20 pages in one day, which might make it a crummy, rushed project.

I'll do one thing at a time, do what's in reach and get as far as I can. At the very least what I did just now will make the whole project easier.

Checked the due date on the Verizon bill. It's January 30th - still have several days in which I could get a Google check or affiliate check and if I don't, it's so close I might not have too much of a problem just doing it on my February check. If I don't get one this month, it will come in next month. Especially if I do another page or two on the site soon.

The main thing I need to do is resist the urge to take another commission immediately instead of giving myself the time to do all the other things I've let slide. If I break that cycle I won't be running to catch up. One good day when I can go out on the street would be as good or better than a commission - and done immediately during that day, so that any resting-up time afterward can be spent on the things I neglected, like updating my site or editing my book etc. etc.

I also found and got out the Sketchbook Project sketchbook and found out how far I'd gotten. 9 out of 32 pages. Just finished the Cambrian Explosion spread. I have a lot of prehistoric critters to draw.

Greenbrier33
01-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Hi Rob,

Are you selling your work online? If so, can you please post link or PM? You discuss commission...am unsure if you have an online market presence.

Thanks, Dave

robertsloan2
01-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi Dave - yeah, I have an Etsy account. Some of my listings went inactive, so I'll go repost them. It's robertsloan2 dot etsy dot com - I will PM you the link but I think it's against the rules to post the link. I do have an online market presence and you're right - if I sell paintings that I've already finished, then I am not going to be crunching my schedule.

Once I'm caught up with everything that has deadlines, I'll be able to wait for a good day good enough to use my new license and sell art down on Fisherman's Wharf. I renewed some listings and added a couple of them from my stash of art to sell on the Wharf - it's only a 20 cent loss if one of them sells when I go out and I have to cancel the listing.

robertsloan2
01-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Huge Enormous TICK!!!

The book cover for River Girl is finished! Drawn, scanned, laid out in Gimp into one big complete JPG image of the wrap around cover. It took a lot more work to get the typesetting done right and a little more cussing than I expected, but I did the drawing right after I finished posting on a bunch of threads and then I relaxed doing email, then I got going on typesetting.

It Is Done.

All that's left for this month that's scheduled are 21 pages of "Prehistoric" cartoons (with most of them the good ones I was looking forward to doing, ie dinosaurs and saber tooth cats and all), and one Puzzle Painting Piece that might not be a super layered realistic production on sanded paper but will have proper proportions.

With others posting their puzzle pieces I'm tempted to cut loose and get dusty on the Puzzle first even though $50 is at stake on the Prehistoric Toons.

Turpintine45
01-26-2012, 10:35 PM
:clap: Yea Robert :clap: I am so glad you got that done and feel you can breath again. Hope you are feeling better and in less pain. The puzzle piece may not take you too long. I haven't done one before and had trouble with matching colours and as I had a curve with no other reference I am having a problem with that. Curves always give me problems! Anyway your piece might be easier and you are more experienced so it could go fast and then you would be free to work full time on your lions and tigers and bears! Oh my! :lol:

robertsloan2
01-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Thanks Jen! Yep! I just looked at the calendar. If I take one session to do my puzzle painting piece (dessert first, I have really been looking forward to doing it since I love my reference), then do five or six pages a day, I will be done on the 30th with one day to go and can pop it in the mail postmarked Tuesday the 31st, when it will Not Be Late technically.

That would be one day that needs to be six pages and the other three need five pages. Any day that I do more cartoon pages than that, I get ahead. If I finish it sooner, I'll mail it sooner and quit worrying about it. Thanks to today's Big Tick, I have time even if I don't try to work on either tonight.

I did two sessions on the Big Tick, one drawing and a more stressful one typesetting and layout. So I'm done with that now. That was the big bottleneck. I knew if I finished it sooner that doing Sketchbook Project wouldn't be hard.

Drawing those pages is comparable effort to sketching my cat from life. It takes my opening Wikipedia to look up the geological eras and what represented them, then sketching the critters more or less from memory because I'm so familiar with so many. I did a lot of dinosaurs and prehistoric beasties for Sascha. Plenty of practice there.

Between being caught up on money by the painting sale and caught up on time by finishing today, right now I'm sort of wobbly and "Whew!" exhausted and happy. Tomorrow's going to be good even if I get an arthritis day.

Cartoons do not need to be perfect. Just recognizable. With captions.

Ruthie57
01-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Well done on the huge tick Robert!
I've just been reviewing my goals and, well, they weren't very challenging (except the last one which is ongoing, probably for the rest of my life).
The only other one I haven't met is getting the stuff ready to go in the cafe because the owner hasn't been in touch yet. Time for my friend and I to call in for another cappucino I think!
I have some goals in mind for next month....but why wait? I'm gonna make a start on a couple of them. They'll carry on into next Month anyway.
And the Get Dusty results should be out any time now.........

Colorix
01-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Robert, congrats to the huge tick! :clap: Not only is it done, you're free of that stress.

Ruthie, doing good as usual.

Tick! Commission finished (nearly), customer has viewed it, love it, and only wants a small change I even agree with! (Amazing...) Then I get to pick a frame, and we're basically on the same page with that too.

A new goal, to write an article preferably before end of month. A demo focusing on prep work.

Judibelle
01-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Robert, Ruthie, and Charlie...YAY for the ticks...both major and minor...

i spent one whole day with my Nikon digital camera, figuring out how to put a photo into the computer, etc. and then how to work with it once it's in.... Got a great pic of our Chihuahua, and one other landscape-y thing with trees and shadows, which I hope to get to work on soon.

Today was paperwork day...did accomplish quite a bit. I just seem to keep procrastinating doing any painting....my tulip-try turned out badly, and I am bit bummed.
But....I will do better next month. More painting, to get back into practice...

robertsloan2
01-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Purr, thank you, Ruthie! Oddly, that one wasn't even on my goals. It should have been but wasn't. I got reminded of it when my client told me she was ready shortly after I got the goals list made.

Here's my goals:

January Goals:
1) Goal setting/resting. - Tick
2) Sabretooth Edits - Not
3) Cat Commission - Done
4) Spotlight - Not
5) JV Class "Skies." - Ongoing
6) Blogging - Not

"Cat Commission" should have been "Deadlines." I had too many things come due all at once - the book cover, Sketchbook Project, a Southwest Art Swap that I had to bow out of, the Puzzle Painting project.

I almost posted "Not" on goal setting and resting. I've done a lot of involuntary resting but none of it was deliberate. All of it was just being too sick to do anything. I haven't given myself any time off, had too many important things that had to be done that I'd fallen behind on. I need time off. I need to take things easier.

I think next month I'm going to set very low goals. Maybe just two. Take it easy and Enjoy My Art. Anything beyond Enjoy My Art is gravy, an extra, getting ahead.

If I have to renew my street artist license on a Google check, then I will. If I'm up to going out, then I will. That depends on the weather. I'm not even going to try during January, I would rather get the Sketchbook Project open. So change Goal 3 to "Deadlines" since it was much bigger than it looked.

robertsloan2
01-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Did it! Six pages of Sketchbook Project prehistoric cartoons. So that puts me ahead. Five a day for the next three days will do it. I need to start cramming more time into these pages though, taking up too much space now on the early periods.

robertsloan2
01-28-2012, 05:01 PM
TICK - just finished class so Johannes Class can be ticked off on my goals for the month. Made it to all sessions. Scanning last batch of notes now!

Home care this afternoon, then more prehistoric cartoons tonight!

robertsloan2
01-29-2012, 03:21 AM
TICK - six more Prehistoric cartoons done. Eleven more to go. I miscounted earlier, but that's okay. I've been doing two pages at a time anyway. More tomorrow! I'm starting to feel very confident about finishing on time!

Turpintine45
01-29-2012, 06:14 AM
Okay Robert but do take a breath you still have a few days to go! Just don't stress:)

Colorix
01-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Judi, paperwork needs to be done, so good for you! I need to do like you do, with my Canon and the new toy the smartphone, spend time with them to learn better. It used to irritate me too when a painting didn't turn out acceptable, but than I learned that many of the big masters of today find one painting in ten, twenty, even thirty to be up to their standards. And here I was expecting every single one of mine to be good... Sobering, really, that the masters think they don't succeed more than one time in twenty.

Robert, glad it is rolling for you now!

OK, it is official now, the reason I shall write an article. I happened to win the PGE Get Dusty, and instead of an interview, I'm to tell about how I painted it.

Turpintine45
01-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Congratulations Charlie! Hope we get to see the article and painting here too! Be interesting to hear Jackie's juror point of view too, although maybe that is not allowed.
I too find it interesting that even the masters were as self critical as the rest of we mortals.

Aelfwynn
01-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Even though my goals are lost in space, I think this counts as a BIG TICK, even before I'm totally finished with it.

We bought a big set of shelves (and some drawers that are designed to fit on the shelves) for a previously empty wall of our living room, just for my art supplies, and I've started moving my things into them.... This is going to take a while, organizing everything.... at least, everything that will fit on these shelves... It'll be nice to have things at my fingertips, and not have to keep moving my art supplies around from place to place.

Ruthie57
01-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Well done Charlie!
Jen, you can subscribe to the Scribbler magazine. Jackie's comments on the Get Dusty winners and hon mentions will be there, along with the images of the winning paintings.
Er, I managed to scrape in with an hon mention for mine....which I am more than pleased with!

Colorix
01-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Mercy, that's a good thing, it will really be neat when finished.

Jen, Ruthie, thank you! Jen, you can even read it on the site. Images are there already. Both Ruthie and I have links in our siggies.

Mij
01-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Robert, six pages of cartoons – well done and as you say ahead for a little while. Also the JV class which I missed because all of the distractions at this end. I'll welcome your notes this week for sure. Well done on the successful goals reached.

Well done Judi on the paper work day and the camera/computer and images. Yes it is a learning curve.

Well done Charlie in the comp. Winning. Can't remember how to get to the scribbler so a reminder wouldn't go amiss.

Nice one on the shelves Mercy, yes fitting and filling will entail sorting – and that takes time and thought.

Fine business on your Hon. Mention Ruthie. I hope I can get to see these piccies.

My goals are all over the place -
it was too darn cold to clear clutter from the garage
I haven't done a pastel, a gouache or an acrylic painting
Got taken over by events so missed JV's class Saturday.
For the same reasons I haven't attempted an assignment schedule for the VAA course.
Ditto the drawing for the 101 course.
Cancelled my pre-booking of the Unison pastel workshop- I shall be really busy around that time of year and cannot afford such a long journey then.
TICK did two WC with the hakes plus some practise with peeps and animals with a rigger ala RR.
TICK attended all art classes this month (Friday morns)
TICK Got the drying rack assembled and into the garage.
Chose a new car, been down and road tested it and arranged to deliver my old one to sis 290 miles away (leaving Monday at 10.30am – back (courtesy of BR and SWMBO's time-tabling) on the following Thursday) SWMBO has just informed me that I may be driving into snow as it's forecast for the Bristol area. I replied that if satnav decides that way I'll choose an alternative route.
Jim
PS Roll on February – I want to paint......:thumbsup: :crossfingers:

Turpintine45
01-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Mercy well done with the shelves! You will probably be rearranging for a while as you live with it, but great to have everything in one place!

Ruthie yea honorable mention is great too! Congratulations. I do get the Scribbler so should get to me eventually. Will check the website too. :clap:

Jim getting a new car and personally delivering the old one through rain or sleet or snow is a BIG tick for one month in my opinion! Getting some art in as well a bonus! :thumbsup:

robertsloan2
01-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Congratulations Charlie and Ruthie on the PGE Get Dusty! Whoohoo!!! Can't wait to wander over to the site and see the paintings!

If I ever got an Honorable Mention in a contest that great I would be over the moon with joy. I am not kidding. I'm used to drooling at the winners and honorable mentions every time, the PGE does good paintings!

Mercy, wow, congratulations on the shelves! That's impressive.

Judy, congrats again on the paperwork. Again, that's so tough and a proud achievement to plow into it when painting is more fun.

Jim, you have done TONS! Congratulations on the car and the art and everything. You've got a magnificent list of January accomplishments.

Jen and everybody, thank you. Whew! I have momentum on the Sketchbook Project now so I am pretty sure I'll finish on time. Also the Pastel Puzzle Painting, which I might do first since I've been very good about getting going on the prehistoric cartoons. I'm itching to get dusty!

February I am going to take it easy. I had to work hard to get through January but half my goals - that's good enough, and everything under Deadlines was huge so I can really feel good about that. It's just this is a good time to slow down and give myself a month where my goals are things like "do some art" and let myself play with it a bit.

My next Cat Commission scheduled herself in for March so now I'm looking forward to painting them, it's a gift of two portraits for a March birthday. That I can do, especially with the weather getting better. They're pretty cats. This is how I get started - I love doing the cat paintings so much that I can't resist a pretty cat. Siamese ones like Ari no less.

robertsloan2
01-29-2012, 10:08 PM
TICK for Deadlines. I just posted three stages and my final image for Pastel Puzzle 2 into the Project system, posted the final stage to the thread and PMed it to Christine. So that is done. On time. With enough time to do it justice more or less.

Now for a whole bunch more prehistoric cartoons!

CM Neidhofer
01-30-2012, 11:51 PM
1. Host the two pastel puzzle projects for January. CHECK

2. Create a website for my work. I already have a blog, but would like to put something out there that looks a little more professional.

3. Participate in this month's wonderful Spotlight! CHECK...2 PIECES!

4. Just plain paint more! CHECK, considering #3 check!

5. Practice landscapes. CHECK, considering #3 check! lol (I did the rocks, so it counts as landscape!)

Number two didn't quite make it and I know I won't do it tomorrow. So, I'll add it to next month.

robertsloan2
01-30-2012, 11:56 PM
Yay for all those goals, Christine! Especially managing the Pastel Puzzle projects when the site glitched on you and everything went blooey. Thank you so much for doing that!

Just uploaded my piece for Puzzle 1 into the restored project today, so now both my Puzzle Projects are truly done and I can relax to see how they come out when all the pieces are put together.

I did six pages of Prehistoric today. I may have to call these people and find out what happens if I'm late... or at least what happens if I'm only a day or two late. Or give up on a fancy cover and do the other five tonight and tomorrow.

DID IT!!! Just in time. Scribbled the title on the cover and called it done. Five last pages were easy. All About Cats... lol made it work. The funnies are in there, the last page is a gag.

Turpintine45
01-31-2012, 01:19 AM
Yea Robert you got both the puzzle pieces and the sketch book done on. Time!!!
Well done Christine you had a battle with those puzzle pieces! And the spotlight painting was great!

I managed some but not all of mine.

1. get rest. Tick caught up and got my energy back.
2. Do a puzzle piece. Tick completed have to send it off again
3. Do at least one Spotlight. Tick did one and Two WDE's.
4. Start walking, hmm not
5. Clean closet. Not but I am getting closer as I cleaned the house on a blitz and I am on a roll!

Ruthie and Charlie looked up your paintings and you both did wonderful winning works. Charlie wherever did you get the idea for yours! Great idea.

Judibelle
01-31-2012, 01:32 PM
I didnt do too well this month....
Did 2 Spotlights (but only posted one) TICK
But the rest sort of went bye-the-bye.

Just couldnt seem to get my 'mojo' up...
Will do better in Feb.

Colorix
01-31-2012, 03:15 PM
Jen, thanks! It just popped up in me puir heid, right out of the blue. There are two other ideas on that theme gestating on the back-burner. (Metaphors are for mixing, that is their reason for existing!)

Guys, you did great, all of you! I'm in a great hurry (will hold a talk tomorrow, getting it and my paintings together to bring to the venue), so for once I'll not comment individually.

Quick reckoning:

1) Continue planning for the future, and waiting for some other people to find time to make arrangements.
So-so, I heard from "other people" only yesterday, but my own planning is half done, for the first 6 months, which are now 5.

2) Write and fix the powerpoint presentation for the talk on the 1 st of February.
Done!

3) Paint two Spotlights.
Done! + another painting, a sky-scape.

4) Fix some changes on a completed painting.
Done! That was Chess, btw.

Onward to a shiny bright future -- February.

robertsloan2
01-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Jen, Charlie, congratulations on goals achieved! Judi, for it being the dead of winter getting two Spotlights done is a massive achievement.

Today - tick - I mailed out the Sketchbook Project 2012 with enough stamps on it to carry it even if it's over the guesstimated weight. I recycled an envelope and stuck enough "forever" stamps on that it should get there on time. Project Complete!

I was a little worried last night about having the body energy to hunt down the envelope etc. etc. in my room, but this morning I felt a lot better than usual. So it wound up taped at the front desk and left for today's pickup before my Home Carer arrived this morning. I've had a hot bath and my room is vacuumed and nicely picked up, everything is organized...

After all this time I've finally got Free Time. It feels wonderful!

I think that my February goals are going to be real simple. "Enjoy my Art" should top the list - just leave it wide open what to do as long as I at least say hello to my sketchbook during the month and play with the challenges that amuse me. Time to feed the muse.

Yes, Ari, I'm coming and I will top off your bowl in just a moment.

Ruthie57
01-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Well done everyone! A new month looms.......full of challenges!

Robert, get that Cat fed! He must always be your top priority, simply because he is a Cat and, therefore, more important than anyone or thing else!

SoulBro82
02-01-2012, 04:50 AM
goal:
500 figure sketches for the year/ 42 a month
60 paintings for the year/ 5 a month

Jan totals:
33 figure sketches
5 finished paintings

a bit short of target, but i think i can make it up.