PDA

View Full Version : Waldburg

sonita
12-30-2011, 03:15 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2011/40216-waldburg_1.jpg
Dear all,
I have not been painting many landscapes to this date and would like to have some input if I may. I have been living in the concrete jungle of New York for over 14 years now but as time passes if feel more and more how I miss home...which is the south of Germany. This is the view out of the forest, looking towards a small castle back home. I would appreciate some advice on this:wink2:

Yorky
12-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Oops! No picture Soni. Correction - there it is!

Lovely scene, could be in one of Grimm's fairy stories.

Doug

sonita
12-30-2011, 03:41 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2011/40216-schloss_waldburg_1.jpg

Thanks Doug :-)

I wonder if I should apply more sunlight spots in the foreground tree. Also. does it look to animated and if yes, how could I solve this. I attached my ref picture, so you can get a better idea.

graphicali
12-30-2011, 04:14 PM
I love the friendly feeling this has. It feels dreamlike ,yet very real. The first pic is best for me.

Kathrin G.
12-30-2011, 04:28 PM
I saw your painting and my first thought was "Germany !" Then I read your post and couldnt believe it when you said that it was indeed a German ref :eek: :D :clap:
So for all what its worth, your attempt to portrait home was a full success :thumbsup: Thanks for giving me a fleeting moment of home too :heart:

Needless to say, love your painting :clap:

friesin
12-30-2011, 04:49 PM
As Doug said, a perfect scenery for Grimms... Sleeping Beauty perhaps?
I like it as it is!

sonita
12-30-2011, 05:16 PM
graphicali - Thank you for that, since the first pic is the painting and the 2nd the ref photo :wink2:

Kathryn G - You made my eyes fill up with tears...honestly, I feel blessed to have found a soul who can relate and most of all recognize all of this.:wave:

Friesin- Dankeschoen as well, it feels good to have such a response.:cat:

Nevertheless, if there is a soul who has some improvement input for me...lets go, I'm all ears.

graphicali
12-31-2011, 03:53 AM
Aaah! Soni. I was browsing using my phone, and didn't see that it was the ref pic. Ooops!

I'm on my computer now and I still like your painting better than the original! :)

paznbaz
12-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Very nice Soni, I'll try to help.....I think the light spots in the tree tends to give it the fantasy look, you may have been better off painting the sky then using a semi dry brush to paint the open foliage with a dabbing motion so leaving gaps of sky throughout. Adjust the shadows at the bottom to show more grass.
Even if you don't change anything I still like your painting.

Paul

chammi kaiser
01-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Soni, this is so magical. I live in N. Germany but spend several months of the year in Bayern and this just makes me want to jump into the car and make my way down south. The tree in the front is just fine. Lightening it would detract from the 'fairy tale castle'. Sehr, sehr schön!

sonita
01-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Thank you Paul and Chammi for your input... I did soften the castle a bit to push it more into the background which helped....I call it done for now but appreciate and value your suggestions for my next landscape which I'm planing to do a bit more as of now :-)

OkeeKat
01-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Love it like it is!! very fairy tale like!!

susme48
01-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Soni...all I could see was a need to push back the castle...which you say you did...so I bet it is perfect now!! Makes me want to travel there!

NateWhitt
01-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Great painting, although the reference photo shows the hill really is that round, it still gives it this great "fantasy" feel of the building on the round hill. It gives a good feel of a mix of realism and fantasy.

Raymo
01-15-2012, 07:37 PM
It's pretty dang good !

Margaret 59
01-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Sonita, if you're still not happy because of the animated look, I think Paul's advice is spot on. I would also move one of the shrubs at the top of the hill slightly lower down on the grass to make the hill look less perfectly round.
Hope that makes sense. It's still a lovely painting!

roy-p
01-16-2012, 03:52 AM
As a fellow resident of a concrete jungle, I can empathize with this painting. This is like a window to a dream, complete with a fairytale castle and enchantingly verdant landscape. Thank you for sharing!

Karen70
01-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Lovely scene, could be in one of Grimm's fairy stories.

Doug
Thought exactly the same thing, it's lovely.

sonita
01-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Hey guys,
Thanks for the encouraging words and advice here. I think that I will leave it for now, BUT I will continue on some point [working more on the foreground grass and probably add a bush into the round hill]. Thank you all so much for your insights...your advice helped SOO much :-)