PDA

View Full Version : Copper penny

Dcam
12-30-2011, 11:41 AM
I've read here (thanks to Howard I guess) that a penny placed in your airtight container can keep paint from molding. How is this done?
Also a thought. I have copper foil and sheet of copper for printmaking. Would it be possible to actually bed the container with a sheet of copper for the palette surface? Would one need to worry about the copper oxidizing?

Happy New Year, Derek

Raymo
12-30-2011, 02:23 PM
I had a girlfriend one time that had hair the color of a newly minted penny. She never got moldy. You may be on to something !

vmrs
12-30-2011, 03:04 PM
If you do try the penny thing, remember that in the US only pennies made before 1982 are copper. Anything after is zinc with a very miniscule amount of copper plating. So if someone has tried this and it didn't work they might want to try again with an older coin.

autolisp
12-30-2011, 03:54 PM
I use U.K 'Old Currency' pennies for exactly that. I put four of them in my acrylic palette under the wet sponge. Your copper sheet will also work. Copper is used in some fungicides to prevent the formation of mould.

autolisp

Dcam
12-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Dennis and Virgina: Thanks.

Raymo: Don't make me come out there to Oregon. I still bench "300" you know!

p.s. Where can I find that girl?

Derek:rolleyes:

Raymo
12-30-2011, 04:33 PM
p.s. Where can I find that girl?

Derek:rolleyes:

That was quite a few years back. She could be pretty moldy by now , lol. :lol:

I have used the pennies and still do but I think a lot of it is the brand paint you use.

idylbrush
12-30-2011, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't use it as a palette surface. The copper oxide may taint the colors. While it may be interesting I don't think visually it will be of much value.

Dcam
12-30-2011, 07:03 PM
thanks Howard.

OK Raymo.....we have to cool it....the wife is watching. :eek: