PDA

View Full Version : What is this technique? How it's made?

Happyblueberry
12-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Hi all, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I came across this painting on eBay and I am wondering what kind of technique is that? It looks simple, yet complicated and many dimensional.
Can anyone explain or guess how it's made? Is it just paint (acrylic) and water? It doesn't look like it was all painted by hand.
Have you ever tried something like this (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/72-x48-ORIGINAL-abstract-painting-modern-fine-art-CONTEMPORARY-PAINTINGS-OSNAT-/220874478352?pt=Art_Paintings&hash=item336d251310)?

autolisp
12-29-2011, 12:21 PM
I do not know the technique used. But. Paintings do not sell by technique alone. The subject matter and the feelings generated by looking at it are more important. You can master a technique, but, unless you have a pleasing subject paintings will not sell.

autolisp

Einion
12-29-2011, 01:59 PM
My gut tells me this is a smaller painting with a lot of elements painted wet-in-wet, printed to the size it's being offered at.

Einion

Happyblueberry
12-29-2011, 03:04 PM
My gut tells me this is a smaller painting with a lot of elements painted wet-in-wet, printed to the size it's being offered at.

Thank you, Einion, but the Artist states that it's original painting, not a print. And the size is huge.

Still curious about the technique (not about what is good painting and what is bad painting and how they sell :wave:)

Thanks

Warren Peterson
12-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Looks like the paint was poured on in different stages, probably drying between for some,and wet on wet for others. You can move, spin, hold up the support to make it flow or move around with brushes, sponges etc. Harder lines brushed on while paint was wet or dry. Similar to flooding paper with watercolour. Helen Frankenthaler, who created Colour Field abstract painting, perfected this staining/free flowing technique. She just passed away on Tuesday.

autolisp
12-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Still curious about the technique (not about what is good painting and what is bad painting and how they sell :wave:)

Thanks
You mentioned eBay. As that is an auction site you gave me the impression you were interested in the financial aspect! You might have been better to put the link to the video showing the artist at work with her partner. It might also give a clearer understanding of the technique used.

autolisp

Einion
12-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Thank you, Einion, but the Artist states that it's original painting, not a print.
Yes I know; I read that before my post above.

Einion

Happyblueberry
12-29-2011, 05:29 PM
You mentioned eBay. As that is an auction site you gave me the impression you were interested in the financial aspect! You might have been better to put the link to the video showing the artist at work with her partner. It might also give a clearer understanding of the technique used.

Hi Autolisp. Yes, as I mentioned in my initial post, I came across this painting on eBay. But I am not selling or buying art. I am interested in technique, that was used to create this particular painting. It just grabbed my attention. As for the video, there is no technique explanation or anything that would give a clue.

Happyblueberry
12-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Looks like the paint was poured on in different stages, probably drying between for some,and wet on wet for others. You can move, spin, hold up the support to make it flow or move around with brushes, sponges etc. Harder lines brushed on while paint was wet or dry.

Hi Warren. I think you are right. There are many layers, and some, like background, had to be dry before applying the next one. I think that some paint applied in thick layers and some watered down. Still kind of enigma for me.

Stacey3352
01-01-2012, 12:23 AM
I have been playing a bit with acrylic ink with acrylic paint and have unintentionally got a similar look when doing it. My guess is a dry background and flow painting on top with an acrylic ink or thinned paint.

Alex Wisniewski
01-01-2012, 03:00 AM
it's difficult to say, not being able to see the surface, but it is possible that this image is not a result of a 'technique' like pouring etc, but may have been painted deliberately in an illusionistic manner.

ribeyedsmile
01-01-2012, 10:23 AM
This is simply an aggressive example of the FAUX style used by interior decoraters. They will create the effect of marble with latex paints and stains. If you go to home depot you can find a book that will give you EXACT method. Some books will even specify for wood or quartz and many other techniques.

also of interest or related is italian marbling and turkish and i think japanese. Marbling paper is diferent than FAUX but intriguing.

Also review the term Trompe L'oil

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1ACAW_ENUS411&q=faux+painting&oq=faux+p&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=221l14362l0l19666l6l6l0l0l0l0l398l1574l0.2.2.2l6l0

ribeyedsmile
01-01-2012, 10:29 AM
also, OSNATFINEART is doing very comercial work. She is refining certain executions of techniques and then painting 10 paintings of that style. She is studying what sells and limits her production to the successfully sold methods and compositions.

Happyblueberry
01-01-2012, 03:53 PM
it's difficult to say, not being able to see the surface, but it is possible that this image is not a result of a 'technique' like pouring etc, but may have been painted deliberately in an illusionistic manner.

If it is really painted, I give up. :)

Happyblueberry
01-01-2012, 03:59 PM
This is simply an aggressive example of the FAUX style used by interior decoraters. They will create the effect of marble with latex paints and stains. If you go to home depot you can find a book that will give you EXACT method. Some books will even specify for wood or quartz and many other techniques.

also of interest or related is italian marbling and turkish and i think japanese. Marbling paper is diferent than FAUX but intriguing.

Also review the term Trompe L'oil

Thank you, Ribeyedsmile. I did look it up and while it is really interesting, I don't think that the Artist uses this techniques. The more I look at it, the more I think that she just spills water on the wet surface.
I wish she would give me step by step manual how to do that. :) (Well, I don't think so)

Happyblueberry
01-01-2012, 04:07 PM
I have been playing a bit with acrylic ink with acrylic paint and have unintentionally got a similar look when doing it. My guess is a dry background and flow painting on top with an acrylic ink or thinned paint.

Stacey, do you have pictures of your experiments? I love to play with fluid acrylics myself, but the result is very different. See my pictures.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2012/975077-theflowerwit_backgr.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2012/975077-Dancing_Flame1.jpg

P.S. My purpose is not to copy someones work, but to figure it out just for my own curiosity.

ribeyedsmile
01-01-2012, 04:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSMCTq7VGFI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-cSMiDUOpo&feature=related

Happyblueberry
01-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Ribeyedsmile, thank you! I love these videos. It gives very interesting ideas.

Mz_Sketch_Pad
01-01-2012, 08:00 PM
whatever it is - i like it