PDA

View Full Version : oil pastels - Take 1

Jacinthe
03-20-2003, 03:28 AM
First off, let me thank you all for the warm welcome.
As some of you suggested, I went and found some simple objects in my house, which I could use as practice objects while playing with my oil pastels. I really enjoyed them.
As I posted in the CP forum, I found a cup without its sipper lid from my youngest daughter, an apple and a small stress ball heart. I displayed them on my coffee table, sat on the couch and began playing.
Here is my first attempt.
All comments, crits and advice are welcome and greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Sarah

Smudger
03-20-2003, 04:04 AM
I went and found some simple objects in my house,

Actually i think that's quite adventurous and you have made such a good job of it. i can see we are going to see lots of good work from you... Well done:clap:

E-J
03-20-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Jacinthe
Here is my first attempt. All comments, crits and advice are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Well done for taking the plunge, Sarah!

I would really look carefully at the darks and lights on that cup.

Glad you had fun doing this. You're off to a great start! :)

Jacinthe
03-20-2003, 06:06 AM
I have to agree, the cup on this one, is not the best. Also for some reason, on both my CP pic and this one, the bottom of my apple seems to be too flat, the top looks round like an apple, but then at about halfway down it gets this run over by a steam roller look. Any ideas on how to make the bottom look as rounded as the top?
Thank you so much for the encouragement and the advice.
Just for information about the drawing it probably took me about 30-45 mins to do each one, and all I did was smudge the oil pastels with my finger, (Oh the pain - :evil: - Not really). Its also done on some cardstock like paper (not my good stuff yet) size A3(?) (normal printer size paper).
Thanks again,
Sarah

E-J
03-20-2003, 05:40 PM
Its done on some cardstock like paper (not my good stuff yet) size A3(?) (normal printer size paper)

Normal printer/letter size is A4.

the top looks round like an apple, but then at about halfway down it gets this run over by a steam roller look.

LOL, I think your apple is great. You could always draw the steamroller in the background for context ;) Seriously... someone else may have some good advice to offer you on this but I think you've done really well and it's a case now of moving on to your next picture ~ build up some momentum ~ come and post in the Weekly Sketch thread with us!