PDA

View Full Version : Clueless

woogies
03-19-2003, 02:04 PM
Sanford Oil Pastel Colors 12 colors

NEWEST for Xmas I got Faber-Castell Pitt Pastel 12 (pastel pencils)

I am clueless and not sure if I want to work with pastels. I am looking for FAQ.
I have been using color pencils(prismacolor) in my drawings.

I just got a drawing table so officially I have a work space!!!:clap:

What supplies I need? Where do I go from here?

Thanks for any help!

Smudger
03-19-2003, 03:04 PM
Welcome woogies, sounds like all you need is some pastel paper and you're away, Keep checking WC for inspiration and instruction and you're be hooked on pastels in no time:)

E-J
03-19-2003, 04:01 PM
hey there

I was clueless too, when I got my pastels a month ago. I can only tell you what I did: joined the Weekly Pastel Sketch thread in this forum ~ here's the link to this week's:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95266

Jump on in and play with the oil pastels and pastel pencils! Get a feel for them just by sketching a simple object: an egg, an apple, a lemon. You won't be judged or criticised in this thread, only encouraged [unless you ask for guidance]. My first pastel was really small and was a cloud that I took from a photo. Now I'm feeling confident to tackle several objects in one setup :)

E-J
03-19-2003, 04:05 PM
... here are the previous two weeks' sketch threads to give you some more ideas and encouragement:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92332

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90758

jackiesimmonds
03-20-2003, 03:38 AM
You have to work with new materials to get the feel of them. It really helps to practice TECHNIQUES quite separately from doing a finished piece of work.

Get yourself some coloured pastel paper, and also a sheet of good quality white cartridge, and a piece of hot-pressed watercolour paper too. In fact, as many small sheets of different types of paper as you can find.

On those sheets, try out the oil pastels, using the same marks and colours on each sheet, to see how the paper affects the pastel marks. Just make marks. Do not try to create trees, or apples, or anything recognisable.
Here are some tips:
1. Using the end of the pastel, like a crayon, make lines. Vary the "weight" of the line by varying how hard you press. See how lightly you can make a line, and see how heavy and thick you can make it.
2. Now take another colour, and make "cross-hatched" lines, over the top of the first lines you drew. See how the pastel covers the original lines - see how hard you have to press to make it cover, and see what happens if you only press very gently.
3. Now try making dots and dashes, and scribbles and squiggles, in fact as many different shapes of mark as you can dream up. Make some close together, some with gaps in between. Some on top of each other. Try to create areas of textured colour.
4. See if you can find a way to blend the marks a little. Try working with a brush dipped in turps or white spirit. Try a piece of card.
5. try to create areas of colour by overlaying one colour over another. Try using the side of the pastel stick.
6. See what happens if you put dark colours over light; then try light colours over dark ones.
7. See if you can make a line of coloured strokes which shades from light to dark. You may need to overlay with other colours, perhaps even use white, or black, to get the graduation going.
8. Create a solid area of colour. Now score into it with one of your coloured pencils. See what happens.
9. Try "feathering" - this is lots of short lines, side by side, to create an area of colour. Try it with one colour, and then do it with several different colours. Vary the direction of the strokes - if your natural inclination is to work from left to right, (like cartoon driving rain!), try another area of perfectly vertical marks.
10. Finally, Create a circle of flat colour. It will look like a coaster. Now, using "graduated" colours, try to make a more 3-D shape, like a ball.

After you have produced these sheets of practice marks, you will have learned TONS about how oil pastels work.

You may like them; you may not. If you don't, then try soft pastels, they are quite different. You may find you will go back to the oil pastels later on.

Hope this helps,
Jackie

angeline
03-20-2003, 04:05 AM
Wow Jackie! That is wonderful advise.....i'm going to do that too now. Thanks.

jackiesimmonds
03-22-2003, 10:18 AM
Hey, Woogies - you there? Did you have a go?

I reread your post, and realised that actually, you only have 12 oil pastels and 12 pencils.

I just wanted to warn you that working with only 12 sticks is very limiting, and before you go on to do "real" things, objects or landscapes, you may need to bear this in mind - if you r results aren't as good as you'd like, it may be to do with the fact that you don't have eough colours to use.
Jackie

louiethe_cat
03-22-2003, 10:27 AM
This is a good place to develope art skills, and now you are getting advice from some real experts, and future experts. Have a ball! Alan

Drumbeat-trish
03-22-2003, 02:56 PM
Dying to find out if you had a go Woogies and what you think!!!!!
As Jackie said 12 is very limited but you can still have fun :)

woogies
03-22-2003, 08:28 PM
note I have another post with other pastel on it
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95898

I do not know what to use to blend the colors. The pastel gets all over everything.
Just big mess.

jackiesimmonds
03-24-2003, 06:09 AM
Woogies, as you have discovered, it really isn't easy at all to blend oil or wax pastels. It's not really the best way to use them. You can blend soft pastels easily, but these other mediums are MUCH more difficult. You don't NEED to blend, anyway, so why worry about it? SThere are plenty of other ways, as I described, to create areas of colour.

It sounds to me like you really need to get yourself a book from the library on oil pastel techniques, and teach yourself by reading and practicing what you read, rather than by getting yourself into a mess.

E-J
03-24-2003, 09:49 AM
I have to disagree that oil pastels are difficult to blend ~ that's certainly true of the cheaper kinds, which are horrid [I've tried Panda and Reeves and hated both], though I don't know anything about 'Niji' oil pastels so can't comment on woogies' brand in particular. With good quality artist's op's, eg. Caran d'Ache Neopastel, it isn't hard to blend with a torchon or with fingers or by smearing one colour over another. It does seem that we require a bit more guidance when first trying oil pastels. Perhaps those of us who use them could post up some pictures and explain what techniques we used...? I'm not saying my op sketches are great or anything... but it might help...?

woogies
03-27-2003, 01:30 PM
The plan is to get pastel paper in the next few weeks.
The paper I have been tryng does not have enough tooth to hold the pastels. All I do is make big mess. I really do not like the feel of pastels on my fingers.

Start a image looks good then pastel dust makes a big mess on the pic. and it is trash