PDA

View Full Version : More on Camera

Dcam
12-13-2011, 02:46 PM
In Jackie's thread I mentioned a photo software for manipulating photos. Adobe photoshop is probably the most popular and "Elements" is affordable. Take whatever digital camera shots with whatever digital camera, load it into the computer and then have fun making it suit your needs. Here is a photo I took with my Sony Cybershot and with the original I could paint a realist pastel (with my own twist of course):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2011/183894-AAABBB.jpg

Here is an effect called "Paint Daubs" available in photoshop. You can see the painterly possibilities. NOT to copy, but soften the original.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2011/183894-AAAABB2.jpg

It should be a crime to have so much fun! :eek: Derek

Ruthie57
12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks Dirk for posting these. Hmm, I'm in the market for a Photoshop elements package....but.....which one???? There are so many now. I remember Charlie saying elements 7 has all she needs. Which do you have and can you tell what's better about it than the others?
I'm not a person who needs the newest, must have, application. I'm interested in value for money....which is why I still have a pay as you go mobile phone with absolutely no gizmos. Who needs a contract with a 1000 free texts a month when it takes me an hour to send one!!!
thanks. Looby Lou.

sketchZ1ol
12-13-2011, 05:09 PM
hello
yeah , but if i look at distance with my reading glasses ,
or hold a piece of oiled tracing paper in front of the lens ,
and cut holes in it ,
i can get a similar thing .
> low tech .
>> whatever keeps the ball rolling :D

Ed :}

fjslightvision
12-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Interesting way to use the software.
Thanks for the idea, it may help me resist the compulsion to add more detail than necessary or useful.

Colorix
12-13-2011, 05:13 PM
It is fun, isn't it! Solarize is a hoot!

Elements can probably do more than the average artist ever learns to use...

I find it essential, as my paintings photograph poorly, and I can make the pics to actually (more or less) look like the actual painting. Indispensable is the RAW-thingy, as it handles all sorts of noice, fixes the white balance and other nifty things.

The latest version is Photoshop Elements 10.

Edit: just saw Ruthie's comment. I now have PSE 9, and the biggest difference with it is that it takes CR2 (Cannon's variety of RAW files), which the 8 or 9 doesn't do. There are some changes to some brushes, like the healing brush. The clone stamp now shows a preview, very handy when needing to align things instead of trial-and-for-sure-error.

It is good for reference photos (move things, change colour, change light, make a new layer and draw on it, posterize, bw, and much more); for testing things digitally on the current ongoing painting (photo thereof), no brushing and redoing, just click it away if it wasn't a good idea; and for making the pic of the painting look right.

The camera (or the dummy photographer? Me, that is) can't do everything. PSE is indispensable.

the drover's dog
12-13-2011, 05:41 PM
If you really want to have some good brainless fun, check out Dynamic Auto Painter (http://www.mediachance.com/dap/index.html). The trial never expires but does place a watermark across the bottom of the "painting" when you save it. It's so inspirational to watch your own photo become a painting my Monet or Sargent, Van Gogh, Camille etc.

When the trial expires, you get a registration screen when you open the programme. Just load the photo that you want to work on and this screen disappears. Do this by going to File -> Open Image, and selecting your image from your own hard drive.

I keep meaning to purchase as the developer should be encouraged. There are third party plugins for other different artist's styles, developed by users on their forum, but I don't think they are quite as good as the originals included with the software.

Have fun,

Dale

Dcam
12-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Ruthie Jane: I have the very expensive CS3, but use the elements more and it is all I need. I would go with the latest elements by photoshop.

Ed: tell me about it old man:lol:

Charlie: I agree "Elements" is the way to go.

Dale: Wow that "DYnamic" seems really cool.

Derek

allydoodle
12-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Really neat Derek!

There is something called fotosketcher that I've been meaning to download. It's free, and it looks cool. Take a look at it here (http://www.fotosketcher.com/). When I have some time I think I'm going to get it and play a bit. It could be great for ideas and inspiration, or just cool to have.

Dcam
12-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Chris: Looks pretty cool. It seems to have the same result as the photoshop filters. Can't beat FREE Chris. :)
Derek

bluefish
12-13-2011, 06:59 PM
what ever happened to the good old 'Brownie Box and Shoot' camera?.....am I the only living relic?

photoshop, cross grained memorie, bah humbug!......I just use my imagination and they love it........:o :D :wink2:

Dcam
12-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Blue: we are not all gifted.......sadly. :music: Derek

Deborah Secor
12-13-2011, 09:36 PM
My Brownie Box camera was a beloved gift back in...a long time ago. If you need another, blue, I see one at auction on e-bay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kodak-Brownie-SIX-20-Bullseye-Box-Camera-/110789745559?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item19cb955b97), but you better hurry. :lol:

My version of Elements is only 2.0 and it has everything I need! You can buy that version for $40.00.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2011/23609-IMG_3024wc.jpg

With Smart Blur filter:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2011/23609-IMG_3024wcblur.jpg

bluefish
12-13-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm lost here......the first image is a flower and the second image is a 'blurred' flower.......what do you want a 'blurred' flower for.....just an 'old guy' trying to 'get with it'......:)

seriously, I'd appreciate someone explaining why you need a 'blurred image'?

thank you kindly.......and if you had a 'Brownie Box Camera', you're not that 'young swinger' I always thought you were.....:D ...just kidding you....:heart:

bluefish
12-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Derek.......you 'nailed it'......sorry, I keep forgetting......:lol: :wave:

Deborah Secor
12-14-2011, 12:18 AM
I'm lost here......the first image is a flower and the second image is a 'blurred' flower.......what do you want a 'blurred' flower for.....just an 'old guy' trying to 'get with it'......

seriously, I'd appreciate someone explaining why you need a 'blurred image'?

Not just blurred but distilled to the essential shapes. I've found it to be a great help for student artists who have trouble envisioning what the 'bones' of the image look like without the 'flesh'! Seriously important concept that the program helps show...and then the imagination takes off.

We now return your thread to the original topic, Derek!

Kathryn Wilson
12-14-2011, 06:35 AM
I have Photoshop Elements 8 and it's been a very handy tool - I use it to do as Deborah does and eliminate details to get to the very core of a photograph, or to manipulate color to see possibilities in a different color palette and the filters are fun to play with to get more creative ideas.

I started out with the big version of PS many years ago, but this version of PS is plenty for me. So, it is up to PS 10? I wonder what differences there are between 8 and 10. hmmm

jackiesimmonds
12-14-2011, 06:36 AM
Just a quick word to reinforce what Deborah said and did with her photo. So many people, particularly beginners to painting, think that what's important is DETAIL, when actually, what is important is learning to see the SHAPES, the main underlying shapes within the scene. THAT is why her blurred image is such a useful and helpful one. Not everyone works from imagination; many people like to paint what they see, and it is really only when they begin to recognise the importance of shapes, that they start to develop strongly as artists.

On another note............ So far, Dynamic auto Painter, Photoshop Elements and Fotosketcher have been mentioned. I would be most grateful if anyone else has any other ideas...I would like to collect a list of photo manipulation tools for artists. I can feel a magazine article coming on......

thanks for starting this off Derek
Jackie

bluefish
12-14-2011, 07:24 AM
Thank you everyone for educating us on the creative use of computer programs.......much appreciated.......

Jackie....love your articles and although I may not understand all the technicalities of this one, I'm looking forward to reading it......best of luck with it and a very Merry Christmas to you......'blue....:wave:

the drover's dog
12-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Huh Jackie, better start writing now.....

I have 103 graphics programmes and artist's aids software installed on my 'puter and I've just uninstalled about another 12-14 that I never used. That's not including Elements. I don't use Elements, just Photoshop CS4. I'm a software junkie! I would estimate that there are at least 300-400 graphics programmes available. Some of them will try and give you a nasty dose of viruses, trojans or keyloggers if you download them too!!

Dale

Studio-1-F
12-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Not just blurred but distilled to the essential shapes. I've found it to be a great help for student artists who have trouble envisioning what the 'bones' of the image look like without the 'flesh'! Seriously important concept that the program helps show...and then the imagination takes off. We now return your thread to the original topic, Derek!
Thanks, Deborah, for this tip! I use 'polarize' for the same purpose: to pop out the essential light/shadow/color relationships/etc. But Smart Blur filter seems to be even better. :heart: :heart: I need to play with the settings.

Jan

bluefish
12-14-2011, 09:56 AM
WOW....300-400 graphics programs.....I never thought there were 300 graphic programers worldwide........Jackie, it's going to be a LONG article.......maybe even a New Your Times best seller novel......:thumbsup:

trojans, keyloggers?.......no wonder I don't get involved with these programs......they scare me!.....;) life was simpler with that old Brownie Box camera.......Ah, the good old days........:wink2:

westcoast_Mike
12-14-2011, 01:31 PM
So far, Dynamic auto Painter, Photoshop Elements and Fotosketcher have been mentioned. I would be most grateful if anyone else has any other ideas...I would like to collect a list of photo manipulation tools for artists

GIMP is popular as well.

jackiesimmonds
12-14-2011, 01:39 PM
300-400! Let's say that instead of knowing "others out there", howsabout you tell me YOUR personal favourites, for photo manipulation. Then, with luck, I can limit it to just a top ten, or something similar.

thanks ...just thinking...should I have asked this in a new thread? Sorry if it has hijacked your topic Derek, but it is still "on topic" so ok with you?

bluefish
12-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Jackie......you will probably get more ideas and comments by starting a new thread with the appropriate heading......just a suggestion......but you could get 300/400 ideas also......:evil:

Dcam
12-14-2011, 02:39 PM
No problem Jackie: Anything that informs our WC friends.
:) :)
Derek

Colorix
12-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Derek, it just hit me, is it a coincidence you write about camera/'shopping, and your alias is "Dcam" (Digital camera?)?

Another good use for PSE is to make one's own Christmas cards, with a painting on it. So easy to test different backgrounds, what style and colour of text goes well with it, and funny special brushes that creat starbursts at one single click.

A typo in my previous post (I hope it was this thread), PSE 7 and 8 couldn't take CR2 files. 9 and 10 can.

Dcam
12-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Ha Ha Charlie :lol: yes my students used to call me "Mr. Camera".

The neat thing about Photoshop is that you can do your greeting card add some nice type, and manipulate that as well.

Gee Charlie: Even MORE fun!:)

Derek the Camera.

jackiesimmonds
12-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Hmmm.....just tried to add text to a greetings card, cartoon style with a bubble, and couldn't.
Much as I WANT to like these programmes and do neat things with them, they so often defeat me.

robertsloan2
12-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Mike, thanks for mentioning my favorite. GIMP is free. It's got posterize and it's got a number of interesting blurs and painterly effects. I never learned to use any others because I already had one that kept getting better at every iteration. For anyone who doesn't already have it, the link is http://www.gimp.org - yep, I am the Gimp Pimp. lol

sketchZ1ol
12-14-2011, 04:00 PM
hello
- Derek , who you callin' ' old man ' ? , son . :lol:

camera/software is a recording device ,
as are sticks , if you think about it ...

i suppose if you can work up an idea on a computer
faster than on a surface ,
that would be practical/efficient .

Ed :}

Dcam
12-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Wait Ed: let me put down my walker to answer you.........wait, what was I saying????:(

DAK723
12-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Personally, I use Corel's Paint Shop Pro as my photo editing software. Lot's of nice features and a low price. But, from what I've seen, most of the major programs all do essentially the same things.

Don

barriespapa
12-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Hi Derek, I found this thread through search I just recieved a pse.10 for xmas. and i am actually looking for a thread that will tell me all about how to use it.I do know how to blur things but what about all the other great things one can do. Is there anything out there that gives a really good outline on all the areas that would be helpful to an artist. something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg of course. I am afraid I am a little, no a lot technilogically challenged.
David