PDA

View Full Version : glue/ UART paper

chewie
12-13-2011, 01:56 PM
hi all. am looking into ways to adhere uart to boards. I am considering getting a roll of that paper, and want to know about what glues are easy to use and acid free etc. and if you use a glue like pva or mircale muck, how to best apply it for a perfect smooth surface? i tried once and got that glue trail showing up, argh! and, what IS the difference between pva and eva???

plus, I had samples of UART some time ago, but lost them. could someone please tell me of the different grits? I think the 800 was the one so smooth it didnt' feel like it had any at all? which is closest to wallis? I am wanting a paper one step down from that grit.

thanks in advance!

Dcam
12-13-2011, 02:23 PM
I have been experimenting with glues for years:
The best acid free: Daige Rollataq. I brush it on Dries in 3 minutes waterproof and archival. I use a dry print roller to burnish the paper on to substrate.

Second best: Acrylic Gel medium. You need to put a weighted board on top while drying.
Sprays are not good: Do not last and peel off.

Happy Adhering. Derek

chewie
12-13-2011, 02:38 PM
ahh, good to know.

Donna T
12-13-2011, 05:26 PM
I've been using Liquitex Matte Medium. It works but it does have to be weighed down as it dries. I've never had a problem with it coming unglued even with wet washes. The product Derek recommends sounds like a better solution. Thanks Derek!

UArt 800 grit is really smooth and feels like velvet to me. I think it was discussed before and most people thought that the 400 grit was closest to Wallis. Hopefully if I'm wrong someone will correct me.

IMaybe
12-13-2011, 05:33 PM
:) I have 2 suggestion that are both easy--

mount onto a archival foam-cor board with Yes glue, can be found in art catalogs and doesn't warp or bubble papers--or

Take you nice Uart paper to your framer and let them dry mount them onto foam cor board--I do this, and have the paper cut to 9 x 12 or 11 x 14 for plein-air work---- I also have larger ones for studieo work---these are a pleasure when painting in plein-air comp's or paint out, as then then drop into your frmes and you are good to go! My framer has a dry mount press sorta thing in his shop----fast, easy and cheap! Kim Lordier got me onto this, and its nice to do.

Dcam
12-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Oh, With all due respect: I'm not sure about Yes. They say it is archival but turns a horrible brown thru time and gets brittle. Look up the reviews if you can.

We Googled "Yes Paste" and were led to the archives of the American Institute for Conservation, on which there are numerous posts about it from conservators and archivists. It is universally condemned for its tendency to turn dark brown in a short period of time.

Derek

robertsloan2
12-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks for letting me know that about Yes Glue. I bought a pot of it for adhering and haven't used it yet, though I also got a pad of archival dry mount sheets. So when I put some paper on foam board I'll use the dry mount sheets instead of the glue.

I had no idea it turned dark brown, that's scary. Might not matter under black or dark brown paper though.

timonsloane
12-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Derek, thanks for the pointer to Daige Rollataq. I hadn't heard of it before. I looked it up, and looks like they also make a roller/applicator. Have you tried the roller, or do you brush it on?

chewie
12-14-2011, 03:13 PM
well, thankfully found my 2 samples of uart, 500, and 600. they are both really nice but the 600 was pretty smooth and after some trying, I DID manage to fill the tooth. so I did it--I ordered an entire ROLL of 500grit uart! I do like the paper, the texture, the slight tone, and dickblick had a sale I couldn't resist. that, and right after I sold some livestock!

so now I'll REALLY need to figure how i'll mount this paper. I've had many tell me super77 is the way to go, and it does work, but you're sayng it'll peel up later?

and what are you using to brush on your glue? plain old brush or what? is the dispenser thingie worth it??

Dcam
12-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Just get the liquid adhesive Rollataq......the rollataq roller gets stuck. Just a nice gesso brush works.....clean with water.

barriespapa
12-14-2011, 08:09 PM
I also use the matte medium from liquitex seems to work great i have also used the same for glueing various things around the house with great success. I also just purchased sheets of 4,5,6,and 800 uart just to find out which grit i like best for portraits then i will order a roll.
David

chuas2
12-14-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm going to have to try the Rollataq, because I haven't had much success. The sprays really don't work, and I guess I haven't weighted the gel/matte medium down well enough, because the edges always come up.

Thanks for the question, Chewie, I'm getting ideas!

I have good success with the sticky paper (forgot what it's called) but it's very expensive..:(

Dcam
12-15-2011, 07:30 AM
hi Chuas: Do you mean double tack? It is good stuff....permanent and archival, but you are right, expensive.
Happy Adhering.
:)

Donna T
12-15-2011, 10:07 AM
What if a paper company offered a version of its product that came with some kind of adhesive in a dry form already applied to the back of each sheet? We would have the option of using it like a regular piece of paper or wetting the back somehow and mounting it to whatever we choose - standard size or not. Maybe a light weight would have to be applied but the adhesive wouldn't be runny or messy so this wouldn't be a problem. It would all be acid-free too. Oh, and it wouldn't cost that much more than regular paper, certainly less than mounted pieces. It doesn't hurt to dream!

Dcam
12-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Donna: We can go into business together and make millions, all we need is an inventor. :)

Dreaming:rolleyes: derek

Donna T
12-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Sounds like a plan, Derek! You count out all the money and I'll apply the glue to the back of each sheet. I'm better with glue than money.

If UArt did this would they call it glU Art paper?

Dcam
12-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Nope: UDonCam
:lol:

Davkin
12-15-2011, 09:34 PM
well, thankfully found my 2 samples of uart, 500, and 600. they are both really nice but the 600 was pretty smooth and after some trying, I DID manage to fill the tooth. so I did it--I ordered an entire ROLL of 500grit uart! I do like the paper, the texture, the slight tone, and dickblick had a sale I couldn't resist. that, and right after I sold some livestock!

so now I'll REALLY need to figure how i'll mount this paper. I've had many tell me super77 is the way to go, and it does work, but you're sayng it'll peel up later?

and what are you using to brush on your glue? plain old brush or what? is the dispenser thingie worth it??

I use the Super77 and have had no problems. I know of several semi-pro and pro artists that also use it. I use Uart 400 from a roll and Super77 is the only option I've found that works. I've tried several brush/roll on glues and mediums but no matter how I weight the paper down on the foamcore it comes out unusable, it just won't lay flat with a liquid glue.

David

Dcam
12-15-2011, 11:00 PM
77 works ok, but you might want to read the hazard sheet on it.
Give me non-toxic choices any day. Bad enough for me using fixative, don't need the xtra fumes of an aerosol adhesive.

Davkin
12-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Well, I haven't found any other way to get Uart from a roll to mount flat, so it's that or throw the roll away. I don't do it in the studio anyway, I do it down in the basement. I open the window, spray, mount and walk away.

David

Dcam
12-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Sorry David: and you can call me derek, we've known each other for a wee while now.
I took away the chemical list on my last post. Don't need a law suit on my hands from a large corporation :lol: .
I'm a little sensitive about chemicals lately, being a survivor.
Used to think nothing of spraying anything and everything to the point of headaches. I guess the older I get; the more cautious.
Just be safe fellow arteest and buddy.

Derek:thumbsup:

Davkin
12-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Sorry David: and you can call me derek, we've known each other for a wee while now.
I took away the chemical list on my last post. Don't need a law suit on my hands from a large corporation :lol: .
I'm a little sensitive about chemicals lately, being a survivor.
Used to think nothing of spraying anything and everything to the point of headaches. I guess the older I get; the more cautious.
Just be safe fellow arteest and buddy.

Derek:thumbsup:

There's nothing wrong with being cautious Derek. :D I bet going for a brisk walk outdoors in this valley probably exposes me to more carcinogens than a 30 sec. exposure to Super77 fumes. :lol:

David