PDA

View Full Version : 24 Landscape Colors sennlier set

JPQ
12-11-2011, 03:36 PM
24 Landscape Colors sennlier set is there many hard hues?

japonaise
12-11-2011, 03:47 PM
JPQ: Try again with your question. I think it lost something in translation.

All of the Sennelier sticks are very soft. But some hues are a little brittle. The edges chip off the first time they are used. Is that what you mean by "hard" ?

JPQ
12-11-2011, 04:33 PM
i maybe mean this i dont know i mean thing some colours needs more force to take colour to paper i know sennlier is maybe softest factory made pastel. but schincke is mre unifdorm but sennelier gives maybe some super darks and super lights to my needs and few others. My english is very limited.

japonaise
12-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Your English is very good. I am impressed. I cannot speak any Finnish - too difficult a language.

Yes, Schminckes are more consistent. And yes, Sennelier has a better range of very dark and very light colors. The Sennelier Darks and Lights are very easy to use - no force needed to make a mark.

The Sennelier 24 stick Landscape set does not have many darks.

Do you have access to art store or do you buy pastels on line? Sennelier makes sets of 24 Darks and 24 Lights which may be better sets for you than a Landscape set.

You can also purchase individual Senneliers instead of the sets so that you can buy what you need.

1onsite
12-11-2011, 05:17 PM
If I am reading this correctly it seems that you are having difficulty with adherence to paper? If so, try this; Before putting anything on paper resembling a drawing, choose a neutral color or two, and block them in to the entire drawing plane surface. With a clean dry cotton rag, begin rubbing in the color(s) so that it becomes a background. Then apply an artist chamoi to the entire surface in the same way. Now you will have a laid in background which may help in color adherence.

robertsloan2
12-11-2011, 05:56 PM
I haven't used the Sennelier Landscape Set of 24. I don't know which colors in it are hard. Senneliers have different hardness because they don't add in more filler to soften them if the pigment texture is more hard. The only way to find out is to try the pastels in person.

Write down the color numbers that are in the 24 color set. Then visit a shop that carries the full range to could test the sticks. If a color you need is too hard, pick out another from open stock with a softer texture. Or get a Schminke for that color. Schminke is close enough to the same size that it would fit in the box.

I recommend getting the Sennelier set anyway because sets are usually cheaper per stick than buying open stock. I have yet to find a color I don't use. I just use some colors more often over broad areas and others only in small details.

You might want to look for a half stick set. I have an 80 color half stick set and all the half sticks seemed soft. Sennelier makes 20, 40, 80 and 120 color half stick sets, also an 80 color Plein Air set that is more for landscapes. Having more colors can always help too!

Devonlass
12-11-2011, 06:00 PM
I bought a set of Sennelier half sticks a couple of years ago, and I love them, but the bright yellow was very hard and is impossible to use, even if I try and remove the hard skin that seems to be covering the outer portion.

DAK723
12-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Yes, some of the Senneliers are quite hard, but I don't which ones specifically. If you are concerned about this, I would recommend the Schminkes. I have never heard that the Schminkes are anything but very soft.

Don

japonaise
12-12-2011, 02:36 AM
JPQ:

Have you tried painting with Unison Pastels? They are very consistent. The darks and lights are a very good range of colors and they can be purchased in separate sets.

I think that Unison, Sennelier, and Schmincke are the most available soft pastel sticks within Europe.

J

JPQ
12-12-2011, 11:23 AM
i think Talens Rembrandt is bit easier than Unison but i dont like Rembrands. and if go shop where is at least few hues (not all in only i think 200colours form Sennelier and same for Schmincke) in stock i can buy price what this thing pays to me so many soft pastels. But now i must think about these unisons if i found set prices... and now becouse some talk about unisons any comments their small 8/18 colour sets ?

JPQ
12-12-2011, 11:33 AM
and if my blending tests goes well i dont need much more darks or lights.

japonaise
12-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Unison has many kinds of sets. Unison are available in sets of 18 - 36 and 72, 420 and a 120 or 63 piece - 1/2 sticks. There are the flowing types of sets:

Starter
Introduction
Dark Values 1, 2 & 3
Portrait
Landscape
Southwest Landscape
Specific hues in a range of tones:Blue
Brown Earth
Natural Earth
Red Earth
Turquoise
Red
Green
Yellow
Orange
Violet
Additionals - these sticks are special colors.

I think that you may like the Unison better than the Sennelier because they are not brittle so you can break the sticks in half, the texture is very smooth, the colors are consistent, and the sets give good ranges. You can also buy Unison in single sticks.

Because it is the end of the year holiday, you may be able to find Unisons on sale for very good prices. You can also get a "rebate" from Jack Richeson Company for $1 USD to $200 USD if you buy the Unisons and send Richeson the rebate form.

japonaise
12-12-2011, 12:06 PM
JPQ: This is the website for Unison in the UK:

http://www.unisoncolour.co.uk/

JPQ
12-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Unison has many kinds of sets. Unison are available in sets of 18 - 36 and 72, 420 and a 120 or 63 piece - 1/2 sticks. There are the flowing types of sets:

Starter
Introduction
Dark Values 1, 2 & 3
Portrait
Landscape
Southwest Landscape
Specific hues in a range of tones:Blue
Brown Earth
Natural Earth
Red Earth
Turquoise
Red
Green
Yellow
Orange
Violet
Additionals - these sticks are special colors.

I think that you may like the Unison better than the Sennelier because they are not brittle so you can break the sticks in half, the texture is very smooth, the colors are consistent, and the sets give good ranges. You can also buy Unison in single sticks.

Because it is the end of the year holiday, you may be able to find Unisons on sale for very good prices. You can also get a "rebate" from Jack Richeson Company for $1 USD to $200 USD if you buy the Unisons and send Richeson the rebate form.

i know they have many kind sets but i want know how well they are designed sometimes sets are have hues what are rarely needed. and at least their special collectiom looks very nice.
ps. good know these things and at least simialr looking handmade ones what i have i like own way. but recipe must be different becouse unison dont use few pigments becouse they are impossible use when i asked. and this another person uses them.....

sketchZ1ol
12-12-2011, 06:23 PM
hello
i understand that you are looking for good combinations of makers .

i will have respect when i see
the paintings that you make
with the sticks/pastels that you have .

Ed :}

japonaise
12-12-2011, 11:57 PM
JPQ:

I can only speak for myself - but - I think that in the beginning, pastel painters buy whole sets of pastels to build their collections of hues and values. Later, artists will buy single pastel sticks of their favorite colors or or brands or ones needed to complete a palette. Finally, after lots of practice and learning, artists go back to buying whole sets of pastels from the manufactures that they like the best and that suit what they like to paint.

Many pastel sets are designed for a broad range of painters - lots of mid-values with a few lights, darks, and brights. The specialty sets are created to enhance depth, brightness and highlights, or create a painting that is really specific such as a set that is 18 to 90 greens.

Regarding European made pastel sticks, my promise is this:

Unison makes very smooth and color fast pastel sticks. You cannot go wrong with them.

Sennelier makes pastel sticks with an incredible range of colors. Sometimes they are a little brittle, but the brilliance of color you get from the sticks is worth it.

Schmincke are wonderful !!!! I own lots and lots of them. But, they are really soft, so it is difficult to create an entire painting with just Schminckes.

The other brands of European or Asian made sticks are medium to hard sticks. They are not the same as the soft sticks made by Unison, Sennelier or Schmincke.

J

Colorix
12-13-2011, 04:43 AM
The man behind the Unison range has sadly passed away, and he was the one who invented the recipes.

Unisons are not so bright in colour, generally, as most sticks consist of mixed pigments. A few a very bright, like yellow-greens, and the yellows, oranges, and reds. Some blues and turquoises, too. They are brighter than any of the other brands, and especially the red, orange and yellows are fantastic in saturation and light-reflection.

Violets are 'dusty', and they lack a bright fuchsia pink.

The Special Set is fairly dark in value.

Potoma
12-13-2011, 09:42 AM
I have enjoyed the handmade Richesons, so similar to Unisons, but much cheaper.

JPQ
12-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Unison colour range looks quite good for landscapes. and i really also love Schmincke.

Colorix
12-13-2011, 01:28 PM
JPQ, I believe they (Unisons) were made for landscapes. The whole range. The maker was a landscape painter, they say.

Bonnie, respectfully I beg to differ (well, I don't actually 'beg' :-), but if it is the same handmade Richesons as I have, they feel like the filler is rice flour (in no way am I claming it is, it is just the feeling they evoke). They're much lighter, and not anywhere near in pigment richness. Those I have, that is.

And the price difference:
Unison, from UK: one stick with VAT $ 3.11 (but then there is shipping added, which is reasonable within the EU.)
The other brand, from US: $ 4.93, with VAT added (then we have overseas shipping, plus customs fees)

For us in Europe it is *way* cheaper to buy products made here.

Disclaimer: I *hope* I found the right pastel in the pricelist of the other brand. If not... well... then I'm wrong.