PDA

View Full Version : ventilation needed for acrylics?

mastermesh
12-10-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm planning on using our second bedroom in our apartment to paint in. I wanted to focus on encaustic (bought a double burner, a nice wood burner that has a temp control knob on it and a calligraphy point, and a few other odds and ends as well as a ton of bees wax, microcrystalline, and paraffin over the last few months), but now that the weather is getting too darn cold outside to have a window open with a fan running, I'm thinking maybe acrylics is a nice substitute for the winter. What's minimum requirements on ventilating a studio for acrylic use.

I love oils too, but know that sadly there is no way oils will work here in this cramped 2 bedroom apartment due to fire hazards and fumes (that's why I'm drawn towards encaustic - same layering power as oils, but with more ability to work in confined area like this)...

Charlie's Mum
12-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Acrylics should be OK without any extra ventilation - hasn't bothered me! - windows closed in winter;)

Lady Carol
12-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Acrylics do not really smell, or if they do it is quite minimal. I never used them with any extra ventilation, except when I did plein air and then I had no choice in the matter ;)

Edradour
12-11-2011, 02:46 PM
The smell and fumes issue has been discussed - you can also use acrylic for glazing.
The main issue I find with acrylic is the over bright colours you can generate, especially when thinning or extending the paint - plan for that

Einion
12-12-2011, 03:00 PM
What's minimum requirements on ventilating a studio for acrylic use.
To answer your question as asked, nada. Acrylics do give off small amounts of VOCs when drying but most people don't notice any chemical smell to speak of. Very occasionally you will hear of someone bothered by something given off by them though, just as they can be from 'latex' housepaints.

I love oils too, but know that sadly there is no way oils will work here in this cramped 2 bedroom apartment due to fire hazards and fume...
It is possible to paint in oils without any solvents if you had to; lots of info on this in prior threads in Oil Painting if you want to begin to read up on it.

Low-odour solvents are commonly employed by those who can't do without some solvents for certain effects when painting in oils. The best of them really do have no odour you'd notice from more than about an arm's length. Although some ventilation is still advisable, if you use them in small quantities it's not absolutely necessary (while still falling within the minimum safe-usage guidelines).

Einion

Aires
12-13-2011, 11:23 PM
One other thought - the water misable oils might also be an alternative as no solvents are used and clean up is done with soap and water.

Einion
12-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Yeah, but in many ways they're yeuch :D

Einion