PDA

View Full Version : Canoeing on Lake Martin in fog 2

jocko500
12-09-2011, 09:39 PM
here is another image i did from a photo i took. I had painted and posted one like this but it a diff painting and photo. that why it is number 2 here .
I include the photo here too i will post it in the next comment line.
it is on a 30x40 inches canvas. this is my best photo of it. i still learning on how to photo painting and i was going to set up a studio just for that in my house but some of my kin forks came and is liveing with me now so i do not even have my painting studio lol. So i doing the best I can.

jocko500
12-09-2011, 09:45 PM
here is the photo i used. the photo of the painting lost a lot on resizeing but I guess all knew this as they too up load they work

birdhs
12-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Interesting photo, very monochromatic.

As things get farther away they generally get cooler. In your painting the atmospheric perspective is slightly off. The reddish trees in the distance are coming forward, my eyes keep getting drawn to them.
Things father away also get more out of focus, less distinct. I feel the near trees could be a little sharper / crisper and darker.

Overall I find the composition to be good, and a pleasant scene.

Thanx 4 posting, Greg

jocko500
12-10-2011, 01:47 AM
photo was taken in winter so there not much color...i did the painting because of there was not much color just to see how I do.
I just started painting a little over a year and I do not have time to paint all the time. need to go to school i guess but i 60 years old and the only classes i would like to paint is painting. could go join a art gallery here in town for $250 a year and pay $10 a month for lessons there as they do have a art class. I do not know??????

thanks birdhs

solonite
12-10-2011, 07:08 AM
By all means take the classes! This is beautiful and 60 is the new 40! I very much like your style. Go for it and keep on posting.
Susan

birdhs
12-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Jocko: I started taking classes part-time at my local college when I was 55, that was 9 years ago and am still going.
I enjoy the social atmosphere and often I am not the oldest one in a class.
It is a great way to share our life experiences that the youngsters haven't had (yet) and they keep me in touch with what is current.

That sounds like a really great deal on the local art gallery, go for it!

Glad you are here and looking forward to even more output from you, you show a great talent, especially for so little time.

Greg

Lady Carol
12-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Nothing wrong with taking classes. If you can afford to do so and you want to do it, go for it.

I like the painting a lot. You got a lot of the main elements in the piece, however I think the depth between the trees center right got a little lost. But not not having painted for very long you have done a terrifically wonderful job. Well done.

jocko500
12-10-2011, 11:16 PM
thank you all for the comments and ideas. I did not say that I was looking at the Hudson River School of the 1800's and also Blue Boy.
the Hudson River School had the blues up front and the warm colors in the far back ground and had a lot of detail also as they was going for a real look at that time.
Blue Boy i read about was painted to show the blues can be up front and the warms pushed back. So the rules was broken. it was a big subject back when Blue boy was painted and the artist win the argument that the warms colors have to be up front as the blues in back as the blues is cool so they will be push bask and all warm colors will come forward.
I do know some history of art at lest and I know what I like.
guess I have to work on that. This is what I was trying to say but I wanted to find out if i did it with out me saying so. so I guess I failure this time. I not worry as i know one way will not work now. I know the artists i mention was masters at the time they painted the ones we know about in books and history as they change the way art is.
I not trying to reinvent what they did i just would like the skill they had.
Vincent Van Gogh just painted i think for 9 or 10 years and he is world know. i not saying I be but I know we all like to dream a little. hope we sell more than he did lol. just one painting he sold in his life time.

I do thank you all for your comments
sorry to take so much time writeing here . just some ideas that all

jocko500
12-11-2011, 02:48 AM
I just noted the touch up i did by the man just to the left as it looks like some grass of some type. I painted that area after i painted the whole image and now the photo is not showing what the real life painting is showing . I did a touch up of the photo to show more of what the real painting in life shows.
I do not know how to correct this as i take photos. Touch ups a lot of times will show up differ.
what to do?

anyway this is how the painting looks more like in real life
sorry about that. lol got to look better at things. amazing how the eyes trick you

Mz_Sketch_Pad
12-11-2011, 06:26 PM
this has an oriental feel i love it as it is

abstractca
05-14-2013, 10:43 AM
very nice!

chammi kaiser
05-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Well hats off to you. I love your painting and with a few tweeks , it will be a winner. You have had some good advice. I love the sense of atmosphere and tranquillity in this piece. It would be nice if you could join an art group and get crits and encouragement here on WC. There are also masses of wonderful videos on U-Tube where you can learn so much. I am looking forward to your next one.

FoxEnova
05-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Nice tranquil scene and well executed. I agree with Greg the red is distracting. It does draw the eyes. Having said that, I have no clue as to how I would change it. I to started late. For me WC has been a great knowledge bank to draw upon.
Eric (67)

ShaunGa
05-14-2013, 06:50 PM
I love the contrast between the trees on the left and the canoe, it makes me feel like I am in a dream:)

Shaun

jocko500
07-12-2013, 03:16 AM
I was looking at this again tonight after a long time not seeing it and reading what you all wrote. it been around two years now.
LOL I did not understand what you all was saying to me but now I learned some and i see what you see. i sorry I did not understand what you all was telling me.:o
thank you all and keep up the good work