PDA

View Full Version : New to Lino Printmaking

Bordelon
03-19-2003, 06:03 AM
Just started in a printmaking class. I found a picture of Frida Kahlo and shaded in black and white. Attached is my first print. Is this print good enough to sell? Also, how would the copyright laws apply to doing a lino print from a painting?

DuncanBerenice
03-19-2003, 04:21 PM
it looks a nice lino print.

On the part of copyright, I would think that you'd be breaking the law if you sold it as it's a copy of someone else's painting, but, giving it away would be ok. I'm no right up there with copyright, but I'm sure someone else would correct me if I'm wrong :)

With your own designs then you've no problems with copyright :D

Duncan

Gisela
03-19-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by asis
Is this print good enough to sell? Also, how would the copyright laws apply to doing a lino print from a painting?

The print is very nice -- I'm a huge fan of Frida! :)
Great job on your first print!!
Copyright applies to printmaking, just as to any other medium. If you copy someone else's work and sell it, you are in violation of the law.
Now...if you printed up a bunch of these and want to give them away...did I mention that I LOVE Frida? ;)

Gisela

Bordelon
03-20-2003, 06:18 AM
A friend of mine said that you would have to know it was Frida Kahlo or you would think that it was a native man. I was wondering if I should take out more of the cheek area and places around her mouth to feminize it a bit. What do you think?
Sandra