PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

TingTing
12-05-2011, 11:53 PM
After being here and learning so much from Wetcanvas, I finally registered as a member, would like to say HI to everyone, and thank you's for sharing so much information here!

I've so far learnt painting part-time officially for only 1 yr. Will catch up soon! :smug:

robertsloan2
12-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Welcome, TingTing! Very glad you joined. Ari purrs at you and sheds Cat Hairs of Inspiration on you. Now you can ask questions and get lots of responses, post your art and find out how much we all love it and enjoy encouraging and critiquing.

Be sure to mention "comments and critique wanted" when you want critique, otherwise folks stick to compliments. I still try to think critically when commenting, so if you like critique that's all on the positive side I'll still post it. It makes a big difference to mention specifics since I know for myself that often I get nervous about it when I've done something better than usual and need the feedback from experts to say "No, this is great, you're improving."

TingTing
12-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Thanks Robert!

Am trying to figure out how to post picture in the forum, yet don't know if I have anything good to post actually.:o

robertsloan2
12-06-2011, 02:59 AM
You have enough posts now that you can - it takes two or three posts to be able to post images because that's a spam filter.

First, prepare your scan or photo by opening it in GIMP (http://www.gimp.org) or Photoshop. GIMP is a free photo manipulation and digital art program as good as Photoshop (for PC or Linux operating system, can't remember if they have it for Macs.) Open the image using Gimp. Choose the "Image" drop down menu on the top of the image window and select "Scale Image" which will give you a dialog. Choose the larger number on its proportions and type in 800 (pixels) then click the other number, it'll change to keep the same proportions. Then save it when it's done.

If you don't resize your image to 800 pixels on the longer side, WetCanvas will do that for you but take its sweet time about it and may choke on waiting for that process to finish. So I resize before posting. Save your image as a JPEG, JPG, GIF or PNG image, not sure what other formats it takes.

To post images, choose "Post Reply" or "New Thread" instead of just Quick Reply that's at the bottom of the thread. Look at the row of icons across the top. One of them is a little picture of a scene with a yellow sky and something like a green mountain, very tiny. Roll over it with your cursor and you'll see Insert Image. Click on that.

If you're already typing in Quick Reply you can get it by clicking Go Advanced at the bottom, takes you to the same input screen.

You'll get a pop up from using Insert Image icon. Choose your image with the button, go to your Pictures folder on your computer. It will default to GIF and you won't see any JPG ones, so you need to roll that over to JPG or "all images" or something from the default if yours isn't a GIF (good reason to save as GIF in the resize process). Click on that to open it. Then click on "upload image" and wait.

If it's working, which it does more often than not, it'll give a nice URL in the typing box and you can finish your post. If it won't upload, try the Attachments feature at the bottom of the posting box. If that doesn't work, gripe about it and try again in a few hours, there is an occasional intermittent problem with uploading that usually gets fixed in no more than 12 hours or so, once in a while it'll go a whole day but that's not often.

Hope this helps!

TingTing
12-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks Robert! However I couldn't open any of the image file in my hard drive here. Perhaps not enough posts yet?

robertsloan2
12-06-2011, 08:29 PM
No, if the uploader pop-up is coming up, you've probably got access. It might be the glitch though. Try again with the Attachments feature. Or wait a few hours and try again. I haven't had any problem uploading today but I don't think they expanded the number of posts before uploading.