PDA

View Full Version : first oil pastel

JoshR
03-18-2003, 09:24 PM
this is my first attempt at an oil pastel. I think it turned out well, and i've learned a lot so i know what i can do better next time. i've changed some things since i uploaded the picture, for example his face is a little closer to the same color as his hands and arms. anyway, any comments/critique welcome.

Mikki Petersen
03-18-2003, 09:41 PM
this is a great first attempt. I think it must look even better with the facial tones in keeping with the other parts of him. What brand are you using?

Luvy
03-18-2003, 09:45 PM
Can you show a little more guitar? Looking good so far. Can't wait to see it finished. Boy first huh? (throwing away my pastels)

rd2ruin
03-19-2003, 01:32 AM
Josh, no one could, or can, play guitar like our man Jimi here.

Great likeness and I like where you're going with all the colors here. You've had far more success with oil pastels than I have.

I agree with Luvy, the guitar needs a little more area there.

Check out http://loutreaux.chez.tiscali.fr/Jimi5.html for a similiar picture with a slightly different angle, so you can see the width of the guitar's body as compared to the neck. (sorry about beating the point, but us guitar-playing fanatics are never satisfied! :D )

Good to see that at least someone of the youngin' generation can still appreciate classical music! Now, if someone could pass a law barring Limp Bizkit and Dave Matthews from the airwaves I just might be able to listen to the radio again. :rolleyes:

Cheers!
- Greg

E-J
03-19-2003, 03:17 AM
hi Josh ~ nice picture of Jimi you've done here :) I can imagine the face looks much better with more of those warm colours added. I too would be keen to hear which brand of oil pastel you're using. I think Mikki and I are both often telling people that the brand makes all the difference. Some brands are very hard and greasy and others [I've got Caran d'Ache] are just so creamy and easy to blend that it feels almost like painting. Have you previously been working in other media?

Smudger
03-19-2003, 03:44 AM
Very cool... will look forward to this one being finished:clap:

angeline
03-19-2003, 03:58 AM
Excellent for a first!
(wonders if she should stop bothering now?) ;)

JoshR
03-19-2003, 08:06 PM
thanks for all the kind comments, and by the way greg, i'm a fan of dave matthews :) (not limp bizkit though). anyway, the brand i used was a cheap kind. i can't remember the name of them cause i don't have em with me right now. they were sort of hard to blend so maybe if i get a better brand it will make it easier.

BevL
03-19-2003, 09:44 PM
Hi Josh

I spotted this last night but wasnt able to respond at the time. I did look at some of your other work, and I see real talent in you.

This is indeed very good for a first effort! Especially with cheaper oil pastels as I've tried those ones myself a while back, and I couldnt do a thing with them.

That bracelet is amazing! How did you get it so gold and real?!

Keep up the good work! If you can get better pastels, it will make it easier for you, I'm sure. But hey.. you are doing just fine with the ones you have!

Bev

louiethe_cat
03-19-2003, 11:35 PM
What? Is that Crosstown Traffic I hear? Uh, er, well, guess not, painting so good, thought I was floating around in something purple. Good job! Looks like you could get into a money making venture here. Alan

JoshR
03-21-2003, 12:30 AM
thanks a lot. funny you mentioned the bracelet because that was the easiest part, took about a minute. i just took a gold looking color (i didn't look at color labels, just used what looked right) and used a stippling effect. same thing with the darker shadows. anyway, i hope to go to the art institute in seattle, i've already been accepted. just trying to make some decisions. this one's part of a portfolio scholarship i'm working on. anyway, thanks again :)

_Jo_
03-21-2003, 01:05 AM
this looks great. esspecially for a first. never been an oil pastal person myself so anyone who can make pictures out of them has got talent