PDA

View Full Version : WATER - HOMEWORK week 1

sherrysherman
12-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Okay, I didn't hear what the homework is. I think just try to paint some water paintings using the principles he gave. Anyone who has more detail, just post it. (I'm only starting a thread because otherwise it seems like one doesn't get started. It's good to have a role in life.) :)

All right, I asked again - he said post a past painting you did with water, then do a self-critique telling what you would do differently based on the principles and techniques he went over in the class.

but I'm sure if you paint a new one demonstrating your mastery of water tips that you could post that too. I for one would bow to you. :wink2:

Rosemarie
12-03-2011, 04:45 PM
The homework is to upload one of you paintings with water and do a self critique based of what we have learned today.

Rowdy's mom
12-03-2011, 04:57 PM
I am new to this. I am trying to introduce myself as a new user on the Welcome Forum and haven't found a way to do this. Any answer?
Rowdy's mom

Obion
12-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Hi, I was not able to log in, I kept trying right up to half hour after start, but kept getting room full. did anyone take notes please. I have been paying for Johannes lesson up till now...

~Barbara

Sgourlayart
12-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Me too, Barbara. My homework is to Email Jo, Wet Canvas and F&W Media and complain that it does no good to sign up early, set aside time and get up early if it's going to be doorbuster, black Friday with first come first served to get into the course. Sherry, you are one of the senior members of Wet Canvas; is this pleasing you that so many people can't get in? Stu

Sallyabc
12-03-2011, 05:27 PM
It was full when I tried to log on also. I hope we can get a video. I really need the water course.

Wetpaint0938
12-03-2011, 06:11 PM
I was so disappointed my computer froze at about the two hour spot and no way could i get back in I signed in at 9:45 PDT and just waited ... Sure wish I knwe how the last part of the class went Do we have home work or not?:crossfingers:

Wetpaint0938
12-03-2011, 06:13 PM
WHERE is Robert and his wonderful notes Lets hope he was around..I so appreciate his great work

Wetpaint0938
12-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks Sherry
Hope we can get some kind of a copy as I lost connection to the las 1/3 of it

Nahant
12-03-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm trying to get back into watercolor after several years in oils and today's lesson was full of nuggets! I am posting 2 practice paintings done over the past month.

(1)The girl in rowboat reflections could be muted and the painting lacks depth. I would be much more careful in my handling of the background planes and making them recede.

(2) The castle scene shows too much water so I would show more sky. The water is boring, so I would show more gradation (maybe a darker blue "S" lead-in and use special effects such as foreground waves and shimmers near castle. Maybe some fog in the distance.

It's so good to be back!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2011/38406-Gracie_wc_3_640x480.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2011/38406-Stalker_Castle_wc_640x461.jpg

maryinasia
12-03-2011, 07:10 PM
For those of us who had trouble accessing the class today, anyone want to give a quick list of the main points covered?

The best way to remember what you have learned, besides applying it, is to tell it to someone else :)

crazywoman53
12-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Most of todays class was dedicated to reflections. I didn't take notes on all of it as I get too involved watching and listening but did make a few notes I will share with you.

Never have sharp edges in your water.
Don't make the reflection ripples more than 1/3 of the reflection, leave 2/3 of it solid.. then began to wave it and then finally break it.
Rocks under the water add interest by warming the foreground and breaking up the too much of nothing going on with waves or solid blue.
Fog can be used to create mood, breaking up boring water in large areas of water.
Logs in water are visual pointers. It is ok if they point out of the painting as long as you have another leading back in. Can be under or on top of water.
Water is always darker than the sky.
When out photographing zoom in to the back ground to get a more accurate color and photograph it for reference to the main photo.
Dark objects reflect lighter and light objects refect darker.
Avoid shocking values, Water reflections should mostly be mid value of 4,5,6
Put strong shimmer at a turning point in the water and fade it out as it approaches the edge of the painting.
Use dark to light and warm to cool gradations to give water variation. Avoid making the water mass all one color or value.
Use warm light from the sky to reflect in places in the water to add the warm/cool variation.
Eliminate reflections in the background to create more depth.
Use a 3/8 to 5/8 division of land verses water of if not possible then use 1/3 to 2/3.
Perfectly still water creates a 100% mirrored reflection. Avoid doing this as it creates clones.
The reflection is always longer when the wind is blowing.
Use artist license to make the length of the reflection to you advantage.
If an object is leaning toward you the reflection is longer as the underside of the object is showing to some degree.
If an object is leaning backward (away from you) the reflection will be shorter than the object reflected.
Horizontal objects reflect the underside of the object.
Water from the bottom edge only = creek
Water from bottom and side edge = river. Make sure the distance from the corner is not the same. Never take the water out of the corner.
Water exiting both sides of the painting = lake or large body of water.
Formula for ice is the value of the snow plus the value of the water divided by 2.
Do not make both sides of the creek/river the same. Make sure lines are melodic. They can be implied S shape or implied C shape or a combination of the two.
Do not make a roadway out of the creek. Stop it by a clump of snow etc and let it continue on.
Put a stop sign image at edge of painting so water doesn't take the eye out of the water.
Do not make both sides of the water the same. Draw a line down the middle and compare.

Joe went on to explain why these are guidelines and give examples of them. I am sure there are probably more but this is all I can think of right now. Hope it helps those of you who were unable to get logged in. Christine

Sgourlayart
12-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Thank you Christine. Your notes will be very helpful if I can get into the demos the next 2 weeks. Stu

Laree
12-03-2011, 08:39 PM
I compared my notes with yours and you got pretty much all of it down. One other things was to place puddles in roads to add interest.

Scorpio
12-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Hi,
Sorry if some of these notes are duplicates--

Dark on dry land will be lighter in the water.
Light on dry land will be darker in the water.
Color is less saturated in water reflections. Even white should be grayed down.
Water absorbs light. Do not repeat the same value of sky in water reflections. Water is usually darker than the sky in mirroring.
Never leave sharp edges in your water.

Visualize your painting as a chess board. Each square should be a different scene.
Use good reference photos.
Don't trust colors or values in the camera, but trust shapes and details.
Avoid stacking effect (values)
Water cannot get busy if you keep values close together.
Indicate ripples in foreground, then fade out towards background.
A stream is indicated when both sides originate from bottom.
If both sides originate from both vertical edges, it is a lake.
In the far distance, avoid reflections. This will create the illusion of distance.

When you indicate bands of wind ripples, start where a mass ends, make it brighter there, then fade out near the edge.
Illusion of distance--gradate a plane, dark to light, or light to dark. D to L creates depth (Princess and Frog)

Melodic lines and gradation of planes--very important.

Gradate water planes with color. Burnt sienna and yellow ochre in foreground. Gradate to blue.

Put puddles on a a lifeless gray street. Gerald Harvey--wet streets.
Length of reflection depends on where you are . A reflection is always longer when water is moving. The higher you go, the shorter the reflection. Try not to repeat the same value in reflection.
Vary corners for better composition.
Reflect the under part of docks.
When water is deeper, it becomes darker and bluer.
Side of river--warmer sandy color.

How to create ice--value of snow + value of water divided by 2 is value of ice.

Long horizontal movements should be 3/8 to 5/8 proportionally on the canvas. I think this means the division of the composition. In other words, don't divide the canvas in half at the horizon line, for example.

maryinasia
12-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Christine and Scorpio, thank you so very, very much! extremely helpful!

NeldaJansen
12-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Hello All:

What fun and what inspiration to be back with Johannes, gathering "nuggets" and pearls of wisdom. I'm looking forward to next week's demo. I'm sorry that so many weren't able to get into the Webinar, there are so many of us.

Our homework is to find some of our old water paintings and do a self critique, based on what we learned today.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2011/84957-Rock_Creek_2.jpg

I like the warmth of the water on the shallow edges, but there could have been more gradation dark to light, and except for a shimmer in the back, I could have kept the ripples more towards the front. There really wasn't much reflection going on, more shadow. I could have added more reflection here.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2011/84957-String_of_Lights_3.jpg

On this older painting, done by sitting outside at might, looking at the scene and then running back inside and painting it, back and forth, the reflections would really have profited from today's information: 2/3 solid reflection, then raggedy but attached, then broken. These are much too broken.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2011/84957-Winter_Sunset_Large_2.jpg

This one has a lot going on. The water reflections should have been much closer in value. There should have been more softening of the reflection shapes.There should have been less ripples, maybe a few in front. The light in the water should have been muted (sky reflections darker than sky), and the tree trunk reflections should have followed the 2/3 to 1/3 rule. Whew! Maybe I should paint it again!

Thanks so much, Johannes. So much information for us, and so appreciated.
Nel

MelissaShelly
12-03-2011, 11:28 PM
It was a great class, as usual. My only complaint (and mine isn't about not being able to get on) is this crazy Wet Canvas site. Again, I never know where to begin to find things....it was sheer luck (and a lot of time) that I found this homework thread (i think it's the homework thread). I don't know if this will be different thread from where Johannes talks to his students; where we ask questions; where Robert (where are you dear Robert:) posts his notes if he is going to, ETC. I sort of deducted that I am to hit the page button when I want to advance in my reading of whatever it is I'm reading, but I"m not sure what the "next thread" relates to? Next thread in what? Forums in general? Johannes course? ETC ETC. I find this Wet Canvas site a nightmare. Maybe I'm alone in this. It's a wonderful group and great resource, don't get me wrong, but I have no idea how to properly navigate it. Also, no idea how to post a painting. Do you lay it on a scanner and bring it in (somehow??) that way? Or do you photograph it and download it? I am so lost. I missed some of the lecture when the doorbell rang and I unexpectedly had to leave the room for a short bit. Will Johannes upload his slides? I guess there will be no streaming video to watch but the slides would be great!

MelissaShelly
12-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Also, I wish we could have a thread like this one (where people chat and complain like I just did) that is not commingling with the "meat" of the course. You have to go thru 10 pages of thank you's and pleasantries (VERY CAREFULLY if you don't want to miss pertinent information) which takes a lot of time to get to the serious stuff. It should not all be mixed together.

MelissaShelly
12-03-2011, 11:34 PM
I missed the 2/3rds 1/3 rule with reflections...would someone mind repeating that? I'd really appreciate it.

BumpaBob
12-04-2011, 01:02 AM
For those having a difficult time finding Johannes' threads, here is the link we used at the beginning of the first course:
(http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522)
<http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522>

The system evidently doesn't allow links, so just copy and paste in your browser. It will bring all of Jo's threads into one place. (But maybe y'all found that out already, and that's how you got here.....!) It's good to be back!

Obion
12-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Thank you Christine and Scorpio. Your notes will be most helpful.
~Barbara

hai
12-04-2011, 02:37 AM
I missed the first lesson, but I understand we have to send in work with reflections.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2011/421961-uitwerking_schets_8.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2011/421961-uitwerking_schets_5_1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2011/421961-brug_bij_gemeentehuis.jpg

Felisa
12-04-2011, 07:18 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2011/122109-water.jpg

Here is my homework. I did this picture recently learning how to paint the sky in different colours. I am looking forward to "Essentials of Painting Skies".
Regarding the reflections in the water I believe that the reflection of the sun should be much shorter and the reflections of the trees lighter and broken at the end as the water is moving.

Johannes, thank you for the wonderful class. I love the way you teach and the fact that you repeat the ideas so they are understood and fixed. Thank you again.

Johannes Instructor
12-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Thank you Christine. Your notes will be very helpful if I can get into the demos the next 2 weeks. Stu
Everyone is guaranteed entrance next week because the class will be given in a social network system designed to host thousands at a time.

Johannes Instructor
12-04-2011, 08:05 AM
It was a great class, as usual. My only complaint (and mine isn't about not being able to get on) is this crazy Wet Canvas site. Again, I never know where to begin to find things....it was sheer luck (and a lot of time) that I found this homework thread (i think it's the homework thread). I don't know if this will be different thread from where Johannes talks to his students; where we ask questions; where Robert (where are you dear Robert:) posts his notes if he is going to, ETC. I sort of deducted that I am to hit the page button when I want to advance in my reading of whatever it is I'm reading, but I"m not sure what the "next thread" relates to? Next thread in what? Forums in general? Johannes course? ETC ETC. I find this Wet Canvas site a nightmare. Maybe I'm alone in this. It's a wonderful group and great resource, don't get me wrong, but I have no idea how to properly navigate it. Also, no idea how to post a painting. Do you lay it on a scanner and bring it in (somehow??) that way? Or do you photograph it and download it? I am so lost. I missed some of the lecture when the doorbell rang and I unexpectedly had to leave the room for a short bit. Will Johannes upload his slides? I guess there will be no streaming video to watch but the slides would be great!
The discussion thread is this one:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954976&page=9

Sgourlayart
12-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Jo, as usual you and some of my fellow students have helped make some lemonade out of lemons. With Christine's and Scorpio's excellent notes and screen shots that my friend Barb has sent me, I can get most of the nuggets out of your presentation and send in some homework for discussion and enjoy the next two demos. I still want to register my irritation about this decision by F+W Media to make this a "freebie" without adequate technology (Citrix) to accommodate the demand. Congratulations on your well deserved popularity; I think I may have been responsible for at least a few of your new students. Could you tell me who at F+W to share my opinion with? Thanks for all your efforts and undying patience. Stu

Pinklady219
12-04-2011, 10:37 AM
To Nel Jansan--I absolutely love your first creek painting you listed. It reminds me of my country place and it makes me very happy just looking at it. Lovely work. I'm a fan!:thumbsup:

nvcricket
12-04-2011, 12:45 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2011/93276-hopeworks1.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2011/93276-smokeonthemountainnaafrimorn.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2011/93276-skipperHPIM0075.JPGWell here is my stab at water.

The first one- Skipper on a boat. I included because Johannes had mentioned when painting waving water, you need to capture the reflection on the front side. I was trying to do this with the water used in the bg of this painting from a boat. We were on a lake, so there wern't waves, just the rollicking movement of the water. In the water I tried to capture the reflection on one face of the wave, the reflection of the sky, and a mid color for the color of the water.

The second painting of smoke on the water-It would look better with the reflections broken at the end third. Also change the values of the reflection from the land .

The third painting a river in Hope Valley- using Johannes instruction, the water mid river should be darker as it's deaper, and I could muddied up the edges a bit ??? I don't know? I was trying to capture the colors from the clouds above in the reflection midstream. I tried to keep the river from taking the eye out by adding those trees for the "C" curve to bring the eye into the foreground trees. However, the eye gets locked in there and doesn't escape to the back ground. Perhaps if I had angled the river -through- trees the bg would have opened up.

I swear-I'm my worst critic... You can't hurt me with additional C&C..it's welcome. A great way to better my efforts is to find out what others see in my work that can be improved.

Thank you Johannes for your generosity- I picked up some marvelous 'GOLDEN NUGGETS' from the class. If anyone missed it it would be very much worth your money to purchase it once it is out..

Carol

raxu
12-04-2011, 01:45 PM
My experience in painting water is almost non-existent :o , that's why I wanted to take these classes (foremost because of Jo's excellent teaching!). Here two watercolor paintings I did during the recent "essentials in painting trees" of Johannes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2011/171274-m_IMG_2756.jpg

I think the water here is a bit boring, I was so concentrated in the trees... Should the reflections have been stronger (to make it more pleasing)?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2011/171274-m_IMG_2758.jpg

this is supposed to be moving water, I'm pretty happy with this (sometimes even a blind hen finds a corn :lol: )

Jo, will it be possible to have one of the 2 demos in watercolor, as this technique is so demanding - I'm sure there are many important tricks of the trade in watercolor techniques, to paint water successfully. Please... :grouphug:

Scorpio
12-04-2011, 04:30 PM

Melissa, I don't blame you for being confused...Wet Canvas is huge and a difficult site to navigate. I would have sent you a PM but since you are having navigation troubles, I didn't know if you would get it.

I have found it easiest to put "WetCanvas Forum" in the google search engine. Make sure you click on the link that matches. If not, it will take you someplace else. When the forum page come up, it is divided into sections. Scroll down to the Learning Center. You will see a heading for "Partner-Wet Canvas Live." Click on that, and you will see--"Partner-Johannes Vloothuis." Click on that and you will see all of the threads in the forum. It's probably easier to read all of the thread headings than it is to hit the "next page" button. That way you can see where you are going before you get there.

How to post pictures: You take a picture of your painting, and remember where it is stored on your computer. When you want to post it, there is an icon at the top of the message box that has a grey mountain on a yellow background. Click on that icon and you will hopefully get a link to your files and will be able to find your photo. I suppose you could also scan it if you can find the image on your computer to post later.
Emilie

Laree
12-04-2011, 06:39 PM
I uploaded this to the wrong place and was told to put in the water homework section. Hope this is right place. Did this from a photo that I took of Yellowstone River. I was happy with it until yesterday and now I see a lot of things that I should have done with regards to the water. I also need to all some depth to the trees in the background. The chess board made a bid impact on me yesterday. Was a great session.

Thanks

ZanBarrage
12-04-2011, 07:03 PM
So what is the homework again?

BGorski
12-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Here is my "past" water painting. I would have liked the shadows to be more prominent in and through the water. Looking back at this jpeg of the painting now owned by a friend, the shadows now seem to stop at the waters edge.

Also from the study on trees taught by Joe, I would do them a bit more as abstract shapes as well.

(As luck and the gods of computer would have it, I am unable to upload...so in words of Emily LaTella..."Nevermind!")

Johannes Instructor
12-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Here is my "past" water painting. I would have liked the shadows to be more prominent in and through the water. Looking back at this jpeg of the painting now owned by a friend, the shadows now seem to stop at the waters edge.

Also from the study on trees taught by Joe, I would do them a bit more as abstract shapes as well.

(As luck and the gods of computer would have it, I am unable to upload...so in words of Emily LaTella..."Nevermind!")
No photo attached. Please resend

Johannes Instructor
12-04-2011, 09:38 PM
So what is the homework again?
It is stated at the beginning of this thread Zan.

crazywoman53
12-04-2011, 10:20 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2011/137465-Fall-Splender.jpg

I painted this a little over two years ago prior to taking any of your classes. I remember really struggling with the water on this one. Now I think the water is probably the better part of this mess. I would have used more variance of color in the reflections themselves and not made them so prominent black. I have to laugh looking at the bank in comparison to what you have taught us now. I'd would approach this painting completely different now. There is so much wrong with this painting I will keep it just to remind myself that I am making progress in my head if not on paper.

Wetpaint0938
12-04-2011, 10:47 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2011/980416-Smith_Rocks__State__Park__,Or.jpg Water may be to blue and reflections to dark?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2011/980416-sunrise_on_Sparks_lake.jpg Maybe the water should be more blurred? and front rocks clearer?

Wetpaint0938
12-05-2011, 12:34 AM
THANKs for your notes I missed the last section of the class .

Wetpaint0938
12-05-2011, 12:56 AM
RE : Smith Rocks and Sunrise Paintings This is additional info on my two water painting Done a ways back before any classes Just self mostly taught and 30 years since I had painted anything ... I'm new here and so enjoy the wonderful classes . I see several things that could improve them after just a few classes from JV ... I need more atmospheric color in the back mountains Probably used to dark of value in my colors ? I tried to give the reflective but think my value in colors are not right. So from now on I can use this information to do better Barb

Sallyabc
12-05-2011, 02:20 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2011/599812-27_Winter_scene_7class_small.jpg
The second picture is of Natural Bridge in the Rocky Mts. the water is quite fast and bubbly. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2011/599812-40_natural_bridge_700_pix.jpg

robertsloan2
12-05-2011, 05:15 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2011/70184-11-19-2011-JV-Paint-Along-Pastel-Winter-Trees.jpg

My most recent painting with water is a copy of Jo's from his Winter Trees demo. 8" x 10" Johannes, you already mentioned the two C shapes on the right bank of the stream, something I need to fix and haven't gotten around to reworking. Any comments about the ice and the water would be very appreciated!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2011/70184-9-14-2011-Spotlight-Landscape-Reflections.jpg

Here's a little pastel that I did in September, again thinking about trees more than the water. 5" x 8" or something like that, not very large.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2011/70184-10-16-2011-King-George-Sound-AU-gouache-ATC-post.jpg

King George Sound, an ATC painted in gouache. Size is only 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" and this is one that I did from a photo. Very interested in improving my water in miniatures as well as in small format art or large paintings.

Sorry to everyone who went nuts looking for my notes on Saturday right after class. I wiped out, still fighting a big flare of my chronic disease, so I didn't have the energy to get up and scan. Just posted my notes.

Big thanks to everyone else who posted notes here in the Homework Thread! I'm so glad I'm not the only one taking notes. You got some points in that I might have missed.

I got in early and am very glad I did, will continue to get in early whenever it's on GoToMeeting.

DaveGhmn
12-05-2011, 05:37 AM
Cape Porpoise, Maine on a Canadian-blue sky day. Oil on 8x10 stretched canvas.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2011/188440-Cape_Porpoise.jpg

What's right with this: the canvas is well-woven. The mixed darks are excellent. Dormered white house shows some promise.

Water: boring, completely misses that it's a quarter mile from near shore to far, sand way too cool, breakwater line no dancing, unknown surface almost like crumped blue paper, reflections need major work, transitions sand to water missing & too sharp

Other: jetty and boat house -- need to be turned so not viewed head on; boat -- 9-bold-stroke-no-over-stroke attempt good, but 3 of the strokes are unfortunately wrong, one of them being the hull.

BGorski
12-05-2011, 10:40 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2011/21285-Tennessee_stream.jpg

Here is the jpeg I tried to load earlier (BTW - Forum for "New Users" is a great place to find out how to upload an image!! ;o)

If I were to paint this again, I would like to extend the shadows better out across the stream, and, from Johannes' earlier class on trees, I would improve the abstract shapes in my young saplings.

mlgk
12-05-2011, 11:58 AM
This is a painting I did for the mountain course. I could probably gradate the water more making it darker in the foreground. May be more ripples in the foreground with some rocks or logs on the right side to draw the eye back to the mountain.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2011/161785-Moraine-lake-jpg

beart
12-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Okay, after your class, I think I heard this right no hard edges in water. I redid a painting you critiqued yesterday and feel this is better. I'm determined to be your gold star graduate LOLhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2011/88528-IMG_1261_edited-1.jpg
The colors are a little subdued do to rainy day which is supposed to go on all week.

pat-trew
12-05-2011, 12:38 PM
I took a picture of the boat house, among other boat houses, the one I painted has a unique visual feel to me, and I wanted to put it somewhere in the everglades, on a bright, sunny, calm day. Now where I could improve I feel, 1- the vegetation, muted more, 2- more brown tones in tree fronds and add another palm tree behind the house, 3- soften the edges in some of the reflections, even tho I want the water like a mirror, and I have seen that here in Fl. 4- add cast shadow on the dock going to the house, and darken the value of the right side of the house. 5- the reflected window box is do bright, or bring the value of the flowers a bit darker. The dock is like train tracks at the time, I felt if I broke the dock up It would bring up "How do you get to the boat house from the shore.
Other critiques welcome. This is in Acrylic.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2011/105243-DSC00623.JPG

pat-trew
12-05-2011, 01:12 PM
I named this painting "Bubble Park"A Fantasy Fairy painting for my granddaughter, I feel the trees on the left needed something, not sure what tho, since it is a fantasy, I let it go, but I welcome critiques. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2011/105243-DSCN0984.JPG

stevemcbride10
12-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Really enjoying the class.
Steve M

stevemcbride10
12-05-2011, 06:54 PM
second post so that I can post some images.....

maryinasia
12-05-2011, 06:54 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2011/185672-creek_series,_version_3,_finished.JPG

I should make the lines of the creek more melodic, and more of an S or C shape -- and with better perspective

I should "gradate my planes"

stevemcbride10
12-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Here is 16x20 oil of photo I took in Ionian Sea. Too much repetitive water, and not happy with the transition from water to rock and water to shoreline/mountains in background. Any ideas? Steve McB
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2011/982574-DSCN1684.JPGhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2011/982574-rocks_in_ionian_sea.JPG

horsthh
12-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Many thanks Johannes for the lessons, here is a plain air painting from last summer, and one from a ADNW challenge blog

firesignart
12-06-2011, 11:29 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2011/97017-govt_dock_view-1.jpg Acrylic on canvas 24x18
Hi all, I did this painting last spring. Of course it is mirrored but I loved the golden moment I caught.I tried to avoid cloning.
I see that my reflection edges are perhaps too hard-should be softer?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2011/97017-Heriot-Island-Boats-313.jpg oil on wood, 5x7
this is a little plein air-just learning to use oil. Reflections are pretty vague..
I need to make the signature smaller-tough when so small-tips?

One more-I tried to create a lead-in and a mood. Seems heavy to me.
12 x 9" acrylic on canvas
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2011/97017-driftwood_Rocks.jpg

tuzigoot
12-06-2011, 11:39 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2011/959270-zion_6.jpg

This is from a photo I took in Zion this fall - a wip, done pretty much b4 Jo's first class. I like the line of the river and the way the light falls on the white water. The reflection in the middle is actually more red/orange and works fairly well irl. The water in the shadow on the right is kind of other-worldly and glowing - maybe not realistic, but given the magical quality of the light in Zion probably works here. As for the rest of it? I'vealready scraped the trees on the right twice and am tired of looking at them. My instructor and cohort at my class love this piece and say it's done. WOULD LOVE YOUR OPINION.

tuzigoot
12-06-2011, 11:52 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2011/959270-tree_6.jpg
This was done for Jo's Trees class so more attention paid there than water. The reflections should be more solid closer to the shore and then follow the rule about breaking up. (Q: but what if the wind is doing something else to them??) The water is pretty much the same color as the sky - should gradate and be darker. Too much plain water in the lower left - something needs to be happening here - the sky was done very hurriedly so there's nothing to reflect in the water.

Nahant
12-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Will our homework be critiqued by Jo in this thread?

kittierue
12-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I believe my reflections could be more strongly stated, and that the ripples could be better defined. I think I've put too many different colors into the water, and I haven't separated it from the grasses via a waterline strongly enough in some areas.

Here is the grayscale, and I can see that I may need to bring the value of my water down a hair.

judyfilarecki
12-06-2011, 08:10 PM
I redid a painting I had worked on this past summer. The first is the original and you can see I had very boring water. The second uses some of the principles from this past week's class.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2011/190342-big_rock_colton_ny.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2011/190342-colton_boat_launch.jpg

Judy

kittierue
12-06-2011, 10:56 PM
I don't think so. There's a critique thread for student critique by Jo.

Will our homework be critiqued by Jo in this thread?

Dharma_bum
12-07-2011, 03:58 AM
Both of these small pastels were done before Jo started doing his classes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2011/41430-DSC_0601_2.jpg

Not sure what I would change on the water in this one, actually I'm pretty happy with it. I guess the white water on the left could have had a little more varigation in the water coming through, and variation in the line of the crest.

It's not reflecting the lighter bushes in the back, but I was going for a light to dark gradation. This is a fairly small mountain stream in Montana, it doesn't follow the guideline for showing land on both sides to denote small stream, but it's only about 6 x 10", and I was mainly interested in the running water.

On the other hand, there are a lot of cloned rocks, and the two bushes are cloned too. If I knew then what I know now...

This next one is a slow moving somewhat larger local stream. I had to re-do the water a bunch of times to get what I wanted, which is not uncommon for me, and one of the reasons I get along better with pastel than oil. It's 8 x 10".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2011/41430-DSC_0604_2.jpg

The painting has quite a bit more color in the water than the reference photo does, maybe it could have been toned down a little, and I wasn't sure how much blue reflection from the sky to put in and yet remain cohesive and not distracting. I specifically didn't want it to be too blended. The reflection of the light rocks could have been a little darker,reflection of the grasses could use value adjustments too. Lots of cloning going on in this one too, could have used a more melodic line for the bank, and wish I had made the willow shoots more kinky.

Dan

LadyMadonna
12-07-2011, 07:38 AM
This is a really BAD acrylic painting I did in the summer of 2010. It helps me to realize how very far I have come into my painting and largely in part to finding the webinars with you ..my heartfelt thanks for that. When I look at it now all I see is cloned trees everywhere and a monotone palette. With the knowledge I have acquired now I would totally change this and may do so in the future .. I would make more gradation in my water , add reflections where there are none once I determine a light source, determine whether this is a stream or a river with my lines, make my foreground much more interesting and inviting to the viewer, unclone those trees, continue the water into the background making it lighter as we go in, add some ripples ..I could go on and on. At one time I thought this was a good painting,now I 'see' the difference.

pamshowcase
12-07-2011, 08:27 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2011/174457-P1030767.JPG
The first is a plein air done March 2011, what can I say.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2011/174457-TropicIsle_Lake_Homework_wk_1.JPG
The second is week one homework before demo, all reflections need refinement, rocks are off. Don't know what happened to crop, sorry. Can't wait for Jo's demo. Am I happy with my progress since I found Jo? You bet!
Pam

MrsBeth
12-07-2011, 11:40 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2011/30777-070.JPG This is what I consider my underpainting. I realized several weeks ago I should have the water curving in more of an s shape. The corner of land on left of water is going to be a pier and boat.The cause way in foreground needs something interesting.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2011/30777-072.JPG Taken from Photo. You can't tell there is water in forground. What color/colors would you reccommend for the lake? add shimmer to back side of lake but What color to use for shimmer. I do realize I ned to change colors of reflections - light on land, darker in water, dark on land, lighter in water and I need to change brown mass on left on lake

MelissaShelly
12-07-2011, 01:35 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2011/161206-sight-size_practice.jpg

This was a practice exercise for sight-size method. It's way too simple to be interesting. I'm struggling with trees as well as water and I think the trees are OK. The land mass needs to be softened. The water, though it appeared darker in the background by the land, it isn't and I need to lighten. I do like the beginnings of my attempting to suggest the shallow water by the sandy beach but I need to do more to suggest transparency. I have a mid-value--average hue placed in the water with little if any suggestion of waves (this was really just a calm inlet in Cape Cod) so I don't know what to do here....and for interest I need to add something...e.g. clam diggers or a boat and perhaps a rock or two in the foreground???
Thanks for all you do.
Melissa

MelissaShelly
12-07-2011, 01:44 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2011/161206-Sunset.jpg

This was at the same painting session as study, above, on Cape Cod. As a still life painter, I am just learning landscape painting focusing on plein air (which is a whole other challenge!!:eek: My group was working with sight-size method and here just trying to get an intelligent seascape going in about 20 minutes. Again, very very simple. The sky was orange at the sun, obviously, just behind the landmass so very little reflected out very far on the water. Looking at this study scanned and up on the sight, I can see how horrible the orange reflection looks in the water!!! At this point I am going by memory since I didn't even photograph the scene in all the insanity! As the colors splayed out from the sun, it got pinker at the horizon and more lavander as you went up in the sky. I'm not sure how this would play out, now that I lost my original work (my girlfriend dropped it in the gravel, the result of one or two margharitas) and I resanded and tried to re-do. Also I think it needs some stronger, defined waves in the forground. The water was very reflective and there were no rocks or anything for that matter to paint. Again, this is just a lesson in quick, sunset plein air keeping in mind the sight-size thing. First time I ever painted a sunset....any thoughts, Jo?
Thanks in advance.
Melissa

ecobb
12-07-2011, 10:48 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2011/91975-Alisol_Loop_002.JPG

Here is my working photo reference.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2011/91975-SYVRiver.jpg

Not sure where to start. It seems like a lot of improvments can be made here.

crem
12-07-2011, 11:38 PM
I'd love to hear if Johannes has anything to say, but self-critique after hearing his first session's suggestions is that I could have muted the colors more in the water, lighter darks, darker lights. I like that the reflections are not consistent. The painting just sold, Yooo Hooo!

Oh, darn. They have changed the photo upload procedure since my last go at this. What to do? My file size, pixel sizes and resolution are plenty small enough. I have tried JPG, PDF & PNG. Anyone have suggestions? I am using "Manage Attachments" and I get "Upload of file failed" message.

HazelP
12-08-2011, 02:42 AM
Here is my homework for week 1

Lake Matheson, New Zealand

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2011/915542-Lake-Matheson.jpg

The mountain reflections should have soft edges.
The background tree reflections could be nearer to the bank.

Milford Sound, New Zealand

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2011/915542-P1020341.jpg

I feel the centre mountain reflection is not right - does it need to be wider and maybe a little darker? Should I have the sunlight reflected on the right hand side of the large peak.

CatinVT
12-08-2011, 08:24 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2011/147827-pond.jpg

This was done a week before Jo's class. The shadows need more blending and the ripples need to be toned down.

JudyPals
12-08-2011, 10:31 AM
It's nice of you all to post class notes, that way we don't miss a thing!
Thanks,
Judy

JudyPals
12-08-2011, 10:42 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2011/983208-11InspirationonLakeCalhoun__800x625.jpg I hope this is the place to post water paintings per Johannes' request for student work. Here is one I recently completed. I was happy when Johannes detailed making the water's edge warmer, where the sand bottom would show through the thinner water, because I did that! But maybe the water doesn't go back into the distance enough- too much chroma? Also I wasn't sure if the value should get lighter or darker- got confused!

spudsmom
12-08-2011, 11:26 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2011/895452-PB060084.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2011/895452-PB060092.JPG

the winter scene is a painting in progress. I know I need to put more colors in the water. I was not able to catch last week's lesson but I am looking forward to learning about what I can do to improve this painting during this week's class.

The second painting needs me to fix some clones, a beak mountain top and to lighten the dark rocks on the left side of the glacier. This will be done when my cast on my right arm comes off - hopefully soon! I am submitting this for my water / reflections? Should I make changes in the water?

Sherri

PS looking forward to Saturdays class!

PSS - how are my pine trees in the first pix? Painting pines has been a thorn in my side thus far!:wave:

painterted
12-08-2011, 11:27 AM
For homework I put in a wind strip down the lake. I think that it should of been less of a triangle and maybe the edges melodic.

ted

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2011/909312-Scan20002.jpg

harospro
12-08-2011, 02:02 PM
This is a little postcard I did. I think the reflections in the foreground are too dark and should not have been separated from the top but only at the last end. Any other suggestions?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2011/210339-Water_picture.jpg

dljaques
12-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Painterted, please don't ever quit doing watercolors. That is truly your medium. They are so beautiful. If only I could paint like you I would die happy

lorimccall
12-08-2011, 03:21 PM
I think that the reflection would not show the boy's head which I indicated by a dot toward the bottom of my paint strokes. This was painted from memory.

*Deirdre*
12-08-2011, 03:58 PM
I found a good ref photo in the library thanks to Dragonlady! (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=32576&sortby=r&sorttime=9999&way=desc)

This was done mainly in dry soft pastel stick, some pastel pencils and a waterbrush...in places.
I maybe should have left the bridge out...too distracting....and paid more attention to the ripples....and my melodic lines could do with a tune up....if I were to do it again I would start with larger size paper...this was 11 x 8 " and it was difficult to do the longboat and figures at that size. I also need to straighten out my water...which looks a bit curved in some places! :eek:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2011/33616-longboat-under-Ashby-bridge1.gif
This is the first painting I have done in ages...hope my dry spell is over!:o

edtree
12-08-2011, 07:43 PM
This is a 9" x 12" acrylic painting on wc paper that I finished recently. My self critique is that I should have made my river more of an S shape and my tree trunk reflections appear to be too distinct. I'm also unhappy with the depiction of the sun on the water though I painted and repainted several times and cannot seem to correct it properly. Not a water issue, but I'm seeing now I also should have varied the size of my tree trunks. I'm looking forward to any other suggestions.

Elizabeth

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2011/94944-DSCN00280001.JPG

bobbiisme
12-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi all,
This painting was done on location in the afternoon. 24" x 24" on panel. The leafy reflections of the trees don't seem to be of the same trees. And perhaps they're not broken up sufficiently.
I'm looking forward to the next class. Demos are ever-so-helpful.
thanks,
bobbi

Oh well, the site won't let me upload it. Don't know why. If someone can give me some pointers, I'd appreciate it.
thanks again.

DLT
12-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Bobbi, you have to post 2 or is it 3 times before you can upload. Just comment again post that and then try to upload again.

I on the other hand will not be able to upload anything for awhile. My laptop is not working. I can post through my IPhone, but that is all. I keep hoping that someone will come up with a wet canvas app.

Dharma_bum
12-09-2011, 12:19 AM
Even for veterans, the uploader can be cranky and won't cooperate, but if you give it a break and come back in a while, it will work fine. I had to do that for my submission.

Dan

Alta Imp
12-09-2011, 01:03 AM
This is a 5X7 oil on canvas board and so many mistakes I can now see! The stream is originating in the corner of the picture so I would move the left side of the stream in and make the stream and snow a darker shade on the left side than on the right side. There is also no harmony between the color of the stream and the sky or the snow for that matter and I remember struggling with what color the stream should be. Now I would close a gap in the stream about 3/4 of the way back and make the stream behind that a lighter color and fade gradually into the snow. For the stream in the foreground, I would make mostly ice patches with just some water showing through and the water would reflect the colors in the sky. Would also put a sun reflection in the snow on the right hand side of the picture to help with variation in the snow mass.

tedzart
12-09-2011, 10:46 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2011/180589-AwaitingSunset240ppi800.jpg

Value of water needs to be darker. Currently, it is too close to the value of the sky. I think I have a few boring pieces when I checkerboard my painting. I have moving water close to the shore with broken reflections of the boats, which seems appropriate. Looking at the three stages of reflections, think I achieved the solid and the wavy, however more breakup could add more interest to the area around to two boats.
I have been studying this one for several months. It has not left the studio. Just not comfortable releasing it yet.
Comments are welcome.

tedzart
12-09-2011, 10:55 AM
This is a 9" x 12" acrylic painting on wc paper that I finished recently. My self critique is that I should have made my river more of an S shape and my tree trunk reflections appear to be too distinct. I'm also unhappy with the depiction of the sun on the water though I painted and repainted several times and cannot seem to correct it properly. Not a water issue, but I'm seeing now I also should have varied the size of my tree trunks. I'm looking forward to any other suggestions.

Elizabeth

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2011/94944-DSCN00280001.JPG

Elizabeth: I really like your painting. Punching the "S" will slow the viewer's eye. What about moving the warm sienna in the middle foreground to the edge closer to the back? Also, I am drawn to the texture and light in the upper left corner. Just tone it down with a cool wash.
Hope you will critique my Harbor painting several enters below.
Teddy
tedzart from the midwest..

DLT
12-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Elisabeth and Teddy the main thing I see with both of your paintings is that the sky is the same value as the water. Elisabeth, I would suggest a darker value for your light reflection. Teddy I would go for a lighter sky. Just my 2 cents.

Linda Reyes1959
12-09-2011, 12:43 PM
I started this painting just befoe class so I was able to make some ajustments. The first photo was the before. I extended the tree reflections in the second and tryed to darken them a little. If I was to repaint this I would change the tree on the right to improve the painting, the size got away from me. I think I need to work on my values.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2011/978726-Photo0586.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2011/978726-Photo0591.jpg

Linda Reyes1959
12-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks to wetcanves photo reference library for the Pic.

Holly B.
12-09-2011, 02:49 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2011/217673-DSC03195_640x480.jpg
The main problem is lack of value shift (gradation) w/in the mass of the river to show distance. Maybe too much white choppiness, too much detail. No 'magical effect'.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2011/217673-DSC03219_640x480.jpg
This acrylic was started during the 'Trees' class and was looking forward to the 'Water' class to improve it and after the next few i will see ways to have made more improvements.
So far i think the focal pt. is more obvious and i like the contrast of the shallow leading up to the deeper water and the distant tributary is now toned down to show distance. An improvement but can't see ways to make it better yet.

Thanks to everyone for all the beautiful paintings!

bobbiisme
12-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks, Donna, I will take your advice. I checked out your website. I like your coy a lot.
bobbi

NorthCarolinaStudent
12-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Oil. 30"x24" I have been working on this for at least six months off and on. At one point I thought it was done. Any help would be so appreciated. --North Carolina Student

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2011/774972-lilyvisitsthepond1292011_copy.jpg

CatherineOnTheLake
12-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Hi N.C. Student. This is my first post as a new member. I luv, luv, luv all the beautiful gradations of colour on your white waterlily. I luv the shadows and I luv the subject matter. Way to go! P.S. I'm not that sure about the water itself as I am no expert (and this is why I hope to get into Johannes class on Sat.) - my only thought is that it may have to be a little darker due to the close up nature of your composition. Gee I could easily be wrong however and hopefully I might know a little better after the course is over!

Eddypus1
12-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Here is the first painting I post for critique. It is a Pastel I painted from photo for someone. The photo was taken at dawn and there was a fine mist over the water. I think my tree are a little too dark in value but I think the water is ok.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2011/827922-crop_for_johannes_course.jpg

dddiam
12-09-2011, 11:27 PM
I have been trying to upload my painting, but I keep getting a message that the upload failed, with no explanation why. The JPG file is only about 350K, and is under the 800x800 pixel limit. Any thoughts as to what the problem could be?

If the size of the image is greater than 800x800, I receive a clear message stating that that is the problem. When I resize the image to within the pixel limit, the message only says "Upload of file failed".

I have tried uploading from two different computers, one Vista and one Windows 7. I am using Internet Explorer 8.

dddiam
12-09-2011, 11:47 PM
I have been trying to upload my painting, but I keep getting a message that the upload failed, with no explanation why.
Ok, I just found out that I need at least two posts before being able to upload an image. This is Post #2.

dddiam
12-09-2011, 11:50 PM
Ok, I just found out that I need at least two posts before being able to upload an image. This is Post #2.

Nope. This is Post #3 and I still can't upload an image.

Any other ideas?

dddiam
12-10-2011, 12:41 AM
Ok. I gave up on the uploader and just used IMG and /IMG tags instead (Whew!)

The following 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" acrylics on canvas painting was painted on the fly, made up in my head, with no studies or photo references.

http://www.illustratedatcs.com/forum/gallery/images/121/1_Chanuck_Falls__600x828_.jpg

My critique points are as follows:

The mountain reflections in the lake should break up more as we get farther from the mountains.

The lake color is too uniform. It needs shimmers near the mountain shore, and needs highlights to show increasing water movement towards the edge of the falls.

The color of the water in the falls is too uniform. I need to vary the blue hues and intensities. I need a few more reflected colors, and darker colors towards the bottom.

The eye path is good (I think). It has C-movement in the lake and upper falls, and S-movement in the lower falls. The tree on the left stops the eye from leaving the painting.

The bottom right of the stream should intersect the lower border of the painting, rather than just disappearing behind the tree.

The grass needs more variety. Too much tiling (checker-boarding).

Perhaps the foliage on the two trees are too similar to each other.

A point of interest (not discussed in the workshop) is the secondary stream that plummets behind the tree on the right. One can examine the stream behind the tree, but the tree stops the secondary eye path, and the mass of the lower falls brings the eye back into the painting.

Do you agree or disagree with my self-assessment. Do you have any additional thoughts or critiques?

Scotkatidid
12-10-2011, 02:03 AM
Johannes this a 12x16 watercolor painting of "Cabin Reflections" Victoria-By-The-Sea P.E.I. that I did last spring for a WDE in Wet Canvas - I have also included the original photo. Looking at it now I should have made the buildings much paler in the water.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/174208-Cabin_Reflections_12x16.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/174208-36920-Victoria_by_the_Sea_PEI.jpg

Vida Evenson
12-10-2011, 03:20 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/979063-979063-homework_2_trees.jpg

Wow.... when I painted this two months ago in the Tree class I was "pleased as punch". I knew it needed improvement, but now I can see just how much! Gave my water critique in photo below:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/979063-skitch_homework_water_1.jpg

Aside from water problems here I also see:

-too many value 8's throughout trees (bullet holes)
-needs better use of value/hues to differentiate planes
-soup bowl tree top on right
-no real distinction of value masses.... scattered darks and lights
-cloned sky gaps
-shadows in foreground too dark and too cool

Still, this was much better than my meatball and kiddy christmas tree trees I did in the past. Hopefully my water will improve greatly now too :)

edtree
12-10-2011, 06:32 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2011/180589-AwaitingSunset240ppi800.jpg

Value of water needs to be darker. Currently, it is too close to the value of the sky. I think I have a few boring pieces when I checkerboard my painting. I have moving water close to the shore with broken reflections of the boats, which seems appropriate. Looking at the three stages of reflections, think I achieved the solid and the wavy, however more breakup could add more interest to the area around to two boats.
I have been studying this one for several months. It has not left the studio. Just not comfortable releasing it yet.
Comments are welcome.

Ted - I really like this painting! It is very restful. I feel the painting would be improved by your working more on the far bank. The transition from water to land is very blunt and does not appear natural. Also, the two main boats look as if they are sitting on top of the water instead of in it. I love the way you have painted the far boats, however, and the work in the foreground is very good in my opinion.

Elizabeth

Susi B
12-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Hi Hazel - you certainly live in a fantastic location for painting subjects! I'm jealous. In the 1st painting you have a discrepancy in the reflected shapes of the mountains - something that I, too, struggle with. The reflection on the right seems to get larger rather than receding as you have painted the mountain range. By the way - your mountains are filled with light and look great! You are correct about softening the reflections of them. I now "mark" out my reflections as I'm doing my sketch and initial composition lines - just as I do for the rest of the painting.
Susi

Susi B
12-10-2011, 08:42 AM
This is a beautiful painting. Do you think you would be happier with sun spot if the horizon was moved up to the 1/3 point? The sun's reflection seems to be the same value as the the sky - maybe add a glaze to darken it.
Susi

Susi B
12-10-2011, 08:54 AM
[quote=dddiam]Ok. I gave up on the uploader and just used IMG and /IMG tags instead (Whew!)

The following 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" acrylics on canvas painting was painted on the fly, made up in my head, with no studies or photo references.

http://www.illustratedatcs.com/forum/gallery/images/121/1_Chanuck_Falls__600x828_.jpg

My critique points are as follows:

The mountain reflections in the lake should break up more as we get farther from the mountains.
The lake color is too uniform. It needs shimmers near the mountain shore, and needs highlights to show increasing water movement towards the edge of the falls.
The color of the water in the falls is too uniform. I need to vary the blue hues and intensities. I need a few more reflected colors, and darker colors towards the bottom.
The eye path is good (I think). It has C-movement in the lake and upper falls, and S-movement in the lower falls. The tree on the left stops the eye from leaving the painting.
The bottom right of the stream should intersect the lower border of the painting, rather than just disappearing behind the tree.
The grass needs more variety. Too much tiling (checker-boarding).
Perhaps the foliage on the two trees are too similar to each other.
A point of interest (not discussed in the workshop) is the secondary stream that plummets behind the tree on the right. One can examine the stream behind the tree, but the tree stops the secondary eye path, and the mass of the lower falls brings the eye back into the painting.Do you agree or disagree with my self-assessment. Do you have any additional thoughts or critiques?

[HI David - I understand your frustration with this website! I finally had to re-register as a new member in order to make posts! I don't know if you have seen Johannes class on Composition, but he makes a strong point for painting values no darker than a 7. I think you might find that this painting would really pop if the trees & water were a lighter value. Susi B ]

Susi B
12-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Whew! After a frustrating week with not being allow by WC to post, I have re-entered as a new member. So, here's my homework:

Early Morning Canoe Ride on Lake Louise is a studio painting I completed using a field study and photos. This was done prior to attending your first webinar on composition, or the ones that followed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/983284-sp0127.jpg

What I'm satisfied with:

3/8 to 5/8 split of the horizon

The shadows of the mountains on the water in the far right add a bit of a "stop light" along with the boats, bushes and the rocks
Reflections of lights are darker than the objects
Reflections of darks are lighter that the objects
The fog provides distance, but I could have added a bit more on the right side.
I think the sunlight hitting on the back glacier reads OK against the warmer colors of the rock in the front.
Ripples along the shore in the background read well
The two sides of the painting are different - but I didn't use the 1/3 to 2/3 ratio from side to side of the painting What could be improved:
The "stop light" rocks and bushes need to have more of a presence - the bushes are too symmetrical.
No stop on the right
The mountain reflection on the right is not abstract enough
The water could be warmer at the foreground - showing a few of those rocks under water
Tree reflections could be less formulaic - there's very few with broken lines towards the tips
Why the heck did I put the canoe in the middle of the painting instead of 1/3 to the right?????? In fact, I should have cropped off enough of the right side of the painting so that the "center" moves to the 1/3 location.

The line of dark rock near the top of left mountain is too sharp - needs to be softened a bit. Once again, another great start to your webinar...if we can get all those pesky technical details taken care of...

Susi B

www.SusiHavensBezaire.com (http://www.susihavensbezaire.com/)

Moyer
12-10-2011, 10:10 AM
What a winter, no snow at the 3500 foot level, warmer days for December and still out en plein aire painting of this 6X6 oil on board.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/187408-elk_creek.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/187408-elk_creek1.jpg

Johannes Instructor
12-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Okay, after your class, I think I heard this right no hard edges in water. I redid a painting you critiqued yesterday and feel this is better. I'm determined to be your gold star graduate LOLhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2011/88528-IMG_1261_edited-1.jpg
The colors are a little subdued do to rainy day which is supposed to go on all week.
Is this Webster's Falls?

NorthCarolinaStudent
12-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Hi N.C. Student. This is my first post as a new member. I luv, luv, luv all the beautiful gradations of colour on your white waterlily. I luv the shadows and I luv the subject matter. Way to go! P.S. I'm not that sure about the water itself as I am no expert (and this is why I hope to get into Johannes class on Sat.) - my only thought is that it may have to be a little darker due to the close up nature of your composition. Gee I could easily be wrong however and hopefully I might know a little better after the course is over!

Thanks CatherineOnTheLake, I kind of know I can do flowers, but the water is not quite right. NCS

dddiam
12-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Early Morning Canoe Ride on Lake Louise is a studio painting I completed using a field study and photos. This was done prior to attending your first webinar on composition, or the ones that followed.

Susi,

Your painting is breathtaking. Well done!

Thank you for your suggestion for painting with lighter values. I will keep that in mind for my next painting.

NorthCarolinaStudent
12-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Oil. 30"x24" I have been working on this for at least six months off and on. At one point I thought it was done. Any help would be so appreciated. --North Carolina Student

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2011/774972-lilyvisitsthepond1292011_copy.jpg
Okay, I tried to add the self-critique--I will try again. I think the water needs something (thanks COTL) . . . don't know what. I think the water lily is okay.

Artglo
12-10-2011, 12:48 PM
This is so last minute because I had a problem and was determined to do it. The paintings are too overworked and the water in the first one needs more reflection and movement. Thanks. If this did get in great but if it didn't I'll keep trying. I have only done this once.

Moyer
12-10-2011, 02:33 PM
(http://www.jimmoyerfineart.com/works)
What a winter, no snow at the 3500 foot level, warmer days for December and still out en plein aire painting of this 6X6 oil on board.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/187408-elk_creek.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/187408-elk_creek1.jpg

Susi B
12-10-2011, 02:47 PM
HI Johannes,
Here's the Banff reference photo:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/983284-Copy_of_IMG_7932-2.JPG

Donald_Smith
12-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Well my internet messed up, so I'm going to try and post my painting for week one. This is oil on 18x24 gallery wrapped canvas. I took the photo in 2007. In case you don't recognize it, this is the Split Rock Lighthouse on the North Shore of Minnesota.

I think it could be improved with more gradation in the water, and adding some of the sky color.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/34342-K1711-2.JPG

C&C is welcome,

Thanks for looking,
Don
PS: Now if I can find the second week's homework. I had to leave in the middle of the demonstration.

bobbiisme
12-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Jo, your demo today was fabulous. It was quite informative and inspiring.
Thank you,
bobbi

Donald_Smith
12-11-2011, 09:22 AM
So what was the assignment for Week2? Is it in a different thread? If so, where?

Thanks!
Donald

Rosemarie
12-11-2011, 10:08 AM
There is a new thread for Water Homework week 2. Look in the list on the starting page for Wetcanvas Live. The task isn't give yet. Johannes will tell ua on Monday.

beart
12-12-2011, 10:55 AM
I got a photo out of the bundle I bought from you. The names wasn't on it. What made me paint this which is my second approach was at my art club someone brought in a painting of Falls and it didn't look real. After painting two of these it seems I have the same problem. The art club painter put black behind the falls which looked to split to me and also I was trying not to go too dark.

Donald_Smith
12-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks Rosemarie.

Donald

sylvia
12-14-2011, 07:17 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2011/265-dawn.jpg water and ice

tedzart
12-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Ted - I really like this painting! It is very restful. I feel the painting would be improved by your working more on the far bank. The transition from water to land is very blunt and does not appear natural. Also, the two main boats look as if they are sitting on top of the water instead of in it. I love the way you have painted the far boats, however, and the work in the foreground is very good in my opinion.

Elizabeth

I really appreciate your comments and suggestions and will consider them as I work on finishing this painting.
Thanks so much - Teddy

bobbiisme
12-16-2011, 01:20 PM
I have tried all kinds of ways to upload a jpg of a painting related to the Elements of Water webinar and have not succeeded. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or not doing right. Help!
bobbi

pixieartist
12-17-2011, 02:06 AM
Hi Johannes, Please find 6 pictures of my paintings showing water that I have done in the past. Hopefully these will come through ok. I had to change my 5mp camera setting to 3.1mp as everything taken at 5 mp was too much to transfer over. Anyway, there are 6 of them. If I have to, I'll have to send one at a time. Thanks and hope you will have time to 'critique' these. There are a few more, but they were given as gifts, and I only have photos of them still on the memory card. Not sure how to retake a pic of those unless I have them up on the computer!!!! Maybe that would work. We'll see.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2011/883082-Paintings_of_water_Homework_weeks_1_and_2_001.jpg
Sunset Over Buffalo Bridge 12" X 16" pastel -photo shows some 'fading' at lower left of painting. The Red Deer River looked very still, however the river is flowing, sometimes very quickly ie after spring break-up during June when the mountain snows have melted. Not sure what I should do different. Perhaps indicate some water movement on the river??? Also, when I started this painting, I thought the bridge was wooden, then found out it was metal...grayish color!!! so I added the blue pastel to indicate a metal look.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2011/883082-Paintings_of_water_Homework_weeks_1_and_2_002.jpg
Somewhere In Saskatchewan 12" X 16" watercolor with pen and ink
Not sure if this was north of Regina or north of Yorkton. I couldn't find the turn-off near Regina so it may be Yorkton???? At any rate, I love this painting. There were lots of ducks/geese up close on this slough/pond, but they 'drifted' away from me by the time I got the photo I wanted. Beautiful, calm early afternoon. What would I do differently??? 1) Not use yellow ochre in the foreground, right side for the dry grass...spent many hours going over it with white (yes, painting strips of grass!) 2) Pay more attention to cloning of the fir trees, but I did paint from the photo and years before Jo's lesson on painting trees!!! 3) Missed final addition of reflections of the 3 large fir trees on right side 4) water part??? perhaps the reflections are too vivid...more blurryness needed with the firs, or broken but still attached reflections ???http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2011/883082-Paintings_of_water_Homework_weeks_1_and_2_003.jpg
The Old Shack in Winter probably 5" X 7"..card size pastel pencil Okanagan Lake, north of Kelowna, B.C....hubby took photo in black and white...no color! Have painted this many times, each one different!...one of my favorite spots! What would I do differently??? Reflections on lake shouldn't be black, forgot about the color when painted this from the B&W photo!!! Also note that the photo is sideways as I'm not sure how to turn it now. For editing the photo I would turn it but in the middle here??? Not going to risk it and losing everything...as in redoing this whole post!!! Hope you can turn it for the class tomorrow!!!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2011/883082-Paintings_of_water_Homework_weeks_1_and_2_004.jpg
The Old Shack in Summer 7" X 10" watercolor with pen and ink Okanagan Lake, north of Kelowna...My Favorite Time and Place!!! almost 7 am, lake like a mirror....great for waterskiing if you can find someone to drive the boat and someone to spot at that time!!! We never did because of sleeping campers!!! What would I do differently????? Not sure, I was very happy with this painting, except I had forgotten to sign it when this was scanned for printing into cards. I did sign it afterwards before I framed it! The photo got a 1st at our local fair we used to have until 2005 or 6.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2011/883082-Paintings_of_water_Homework_weeks_1_and_2_005.jpg
Quail's Gate Cabin 7" X 10" watercolor with pen and ink I painted this for my sister's mother-in-law who wanted a picture of a cabin. I had permission to take a photo of an old cabin used by Quail's Gate Winery not far from Westbank, B.C. I also used a couple other photos I had taken of a couple ducks, one on Okanagan Lake, the other at the O'Keefe Ranch west of Vernon, B.C. Put together, I got this painting. The trees, bushes, and part of the beach I just put in, and changed the cabin doorway on the right half instead of the actual entry with stairs. The reflections of each of the ducks was fun but tedious as well!! What would I do differently??? Good question...I don't really know, but 1)the trees etc were made up and so I kind of think they need more work. 2)The water I rather like, but I noticed that the left part behind the floating duck probably needs some work as well??? 3) The cabin took a long time...tedious work...now I would leave most of the shingles and only do a few in places according to Jo's classes on buildings, but doing a log cabin was rather neat as well as the stone chimney!!!

Number 6 photo will not print...an error occurred, e-mail us is what the thingy said.
I had painted a picture of a photo a young soon-to-be-married couple had taken of apparently their favorite beach/spot in Hawaii. Her mom gave me a copy of that photo so I could paint the pic. as a wedding gift. Unfortunately, this photo was rather muted (cloud over the sun??) so the colors were not as bright as they normally would be. The couple really liked the painting as it was their favorite spot, which I hadn't known at the time, and I had brightened up the colors with help from a member of our art club who had been to Hawaii. The water (ocean) turned out ok, I guess, what with the waves breaking over the rocks on the beach and there being water spray quite high etc. For a first time for me, I was quite pleased it worked out ok!! Wish you could have seen the photo of it. I'll try to photo the pic on the computer.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2011/883082-Kynas_Paintings_as_Guest_Artist,_Art_Show_2010_085.jpg
An Hawaiian Beach 7" X 10" watercolor (possibly with a bit of pen and ink???) note info above as well. What would I do differently???? 1) I used misket for the water spray to keep it white....I wasn't pleased at first with the result, but now???? Perhaps should have had some little drops of water spraying upwards???? Not sure. Or, not use any misket??? which would mean I would have lost the white...common problem for me, at any rate. I finished this painting the day I started it as I was wrapping it up and giving it to the couple that late afternoon/evening. They kindly sent it back for our Art Show in 2010 of which I was the Guest Artist (finally got my turn!) That was how I managed to get a pic of it to use like tonight!!!

So the picture taking off the computer works!!! :clap: I also took more pics of other paintings, which should go onto another post. Do you want them too???
Please let me know what you think, what I should have/could have done for any improvements needed. I have to learn somehow!!! (and fast!!!) Thanks so much. I can't believe I finally got this downloading figured out, at last. I still had to phone my daughter's boyfriend for help at first. He has made my day, big time!!!! Thanks for your classes Johannes. They are so good, full of important info that at least I need and can use!!! "Talk" with you tomorrow during class. Kyna aka Pixieartist (I'm happy as a clam!):clap: :wave: :) :) :) :thumbsup:

pixieartist
12-17-2011, 04:44 AM
Hi Johannes, :thumbsup: Here are some more pics of my paintings.:) ( I need to practice doing this otherwise I might lose it!!!)http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2011/883082-Kynas_Paintings_as_Guest_Artist,_Art_Show_2010_092.jpg
Smoky Sky Over Okanagan Lake Sketch paper??? probably 9 X 12?? watercolor
This is one of my very first paintings of water. The smoke in the sky made the water mostly gray, which I could not replicate while painting it on site. Later that fall, while doing my husband's mail delivery job, (so he could harvest) I finally figured out painting purple over the yellow in the water to make the gray!!! and it sort of worked!! This painting has lots wrong with it, but the learning about grays was worth it. The lake was absolutely flat/calm. The sky was a pretty peachy color on the clouds,but didn't look as impressive reflected on the lake due to the fire at Penticton causing a lot of smoke in the sky/atmoshere. What would I do differently?? 1) Use proper w/c paper 2) Take a photo of the scene 3) Make the mountain area more interesting, instead of cloning the mountains/peaks? 4) Water area??? instead of flat gray, choose a day with some waves on the lake??? 5) Maybe just choose a different scene!!!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2011/883082-Kynas_Paintings_as_Guest_Artist,_Art_Show_2010_098.jpg
A Springtime Hike Along a Creek 12" X 16" watercolor The photo I took of a creek during a hike got waylaid when I wanted to paint it as a gift to my sister, so I found a picture very similar to mine in a calendar. This one was one of my first paintings of water, and I felt I knew nothing and needed to learn a lot. Anyway, it turned out ok considering everything. What would I do differently??? 1) The darks are way too dark Not sure of anything specific, but there are more problems to this painting...I can feel it but haven't figured it out yet...perhaps the greens need to be adjusted...add some purples/burnt or raw sienna??? etc Anyway, my brother-in-law was pleased..( his brother paints as well!!)http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2011/883082-Kynas_Paintings_as_Guest_Artist,_Art_Show_2010_097.jpg
The Old Shack in Winter 12" X 16" watercolor Okanagan Lake, north of Kelowna, B.C.This is the second copy of this scene. I painted this as a gift to another sister. This one you will see the rocks in front. I found I kept running out of paper before I finished all the rocks. Later copies do not have the rocks...better for my sanity I guess!!!! The colors in this painting veered toward the teal colors (her house had gray carpeting etc and she likes blue) but I guess I really liked teal and that was why it ended up that way. A lot of people were very interested in this painting at the Art Show 18 months ago!! So, what would I do differently???? I really like it as it is, and it will not be changed as it's at my sister's now, but, I can't think of anything now....1:19 am is probably why!!! Let me know, ok??http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2011/883082-Kynas_Paintings_as_Guest_Artist,_Art_Show_2010_090.jpg
Okanagan Lake sketch paper probably 9" X 12" Charcoal
This was a quick sketch I did when I found a piece of charcoal on the beach from someone's campfire. I even added the duck as it swam by!!! There was some water movement, but no actual waves that were crashing on the beach!! It was fun to do. What would I do differently??? Add color ?? Any other suggestions??? http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2011/883082-Kynas_Paintings_as_Guest_Artist,_Art_Show_2010_096.jpg
This painting is of Dead River at Dauphin, Manitoba or maybe a stream leading into it. Forget what I named it. It was sold at the Art Show, 2010 for a nominal amount. possibly about 4" X 6" watercolor and pen and ink What would I do differently??? 1) Not use black (that's the ink part)...too dark for the tree branch in front and for the shadowed areas along the stream/creek??? 2) water was very still Any suggestions???http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2011/883082-Kynas_Paintings_as_Guest_Artist,_Art_Show_2010_093.jpg
View of Pacific Ocean From White Rock, B.C. 4" X 6" water-soluable ink pencils
This was a quick 'sketch' while we waited for our fish and chips for supper on the beach/walkway looking south towards the USA. The ocean had a bit of pink showing probably from the sun/sky. The ink pencils are very strong, and I found they would dry and not be fixable!!! So the idea was good but I probably should redo it. What would I do differently??? 1) Use watercolor 2) Add beach/rocks to the foreground??? 3) Add a boat or two or three??? 4) At the time, there were some washed up driftwood or dead tree on it's side with a few seagulls taking turns standing on it, perhaps a better composition??? Not sure if I got a photo of them. Any suggestions???/comments???http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2011/883082-Kynas_Paintings_as_Guest_Artist,_Art_Show_2010_089.jpg
Somewhere In The Pacific 7" X 10" watercolor with pen and ink
My daughter's boyfriend was checking the computer for something and this screensaver pic showed up. I wanted to paint a painting for his grad gift that weekend, so I painted from memory. Later, I painted one for me..this one which is not as good as the one I painted for him. Anyway, What would I do differently??? 1) Start over again starting with the sky...clouds need to hug the horizon line more or put in a few random clouds... these are not right...cloned?? 2)background water may be too dark 3)transition between the deeper water and the shallower water around the island isn't right. 4)shallow water in foreground may be ok...any suggestions? 5) cloning of the palm trees on the island 6) reflection of the island/trees should be broken up more .....overall, my memory wasn't too bad except for the details I mentioned...photos seem to help me remember details!!!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2011/883082-Kynas_Paintings_as_Guest_Artist,_Art_Show_2010_088.jpg
Dead River, Dauphin, Manitoba sketch paper??? 9" X 12"??? water soluable ink pencils This area was used for pics when my daughter graduated from high school. I finally painted this as a precursor to the watercolor one I still have waiting to do. What would I do differently??? 1)Use no blacks 2) too much gray in the sky 3)water???was very still...probably no current...hence the name Dead River 4)Reflections are too black, perhaps too stark??? 5)the greens look funny....need more burnt sienna?? purples?? 6) better get the watercolor one going!!!! it's drawn out on 12" X 16" 140lb watercolor paper block Any suggestions/comments???http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2011/883082-Kynas_Paintings_as_Guest_Artist,_Art_Show_2010_086.jpg
....forget the name I painted this from a National Geographic photo of a lake between Ontario??? and the USA. The photo was spread across 3 pages! I had a skinny piece of 300 lb w/c paper Gemini Rough, I believe. 3+ inches wide by 9" long???? maybe longer??? A friend had given me some gouache so I tried using it. I needed a couple different blues, so ordered them, and finished this a few days before the Art Show in 2010. I was quite pleased with how this turned out. What would I do differently??? 1)Use my own photo!! Not sure what else to do Any suggestions/comments???
So there are my submissions of my work so far. I'm happy as a clam!!! :) Hopefully I will not forget how to do the downloading (or is that uploading???) :crossfingers: Have a good night, it's to bed for me now. Good night, sleep tight. Don't let the bed bugs bite!!! :lol: Kyna aka Pixieartist:thumbsup: