PDA

View Full Version : How to protect my op Painting

barbiemumu
12-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Hi,
Actually I wanted to know two things...Firstly how to exactly use a fixative ,so that the spray coatings don't show ,when painting viewed from side angle....And secondly , can I use a hair spray as a fixative ..OP fixative seems to me a bit expensive:(

Bhumika

halthepainter
12-05-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't use fixitive since I frame under glass.

Fixative may prevent wax bloom if you are using cheap oil pastels but other wise I don't feel it is needed.

Hair spray is not recommended. I other discussions here, hair spary will yellow with age. It's use on hair is of short enough duration that yellowing is not an issue.

Fixative, unless used massively and then covered with varnish or other clear sealer, can still be rubbed or smeared.

When using fixative hold it well away from your artwork and spray as a soft mist. Don't really wet your surface. Just apply additional layers after the earlier layer has dried thoroughly. You certainly don't want runs.

barbiemumu
12-07-2011, 03:51 AM
Thanx Hal for your advice...Actually I had applied hairspray to a painting of mine...which gave my painting a very bright and glossy finish ..Also the ops got fixed..Now am really worried ,will the spray result in yellowness with age... :(