PDA

View Full Version : Heilman Easels?

pastel lover
11-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone used the Heilman Easel that attaches to their boxes? If so how did you like it? Is it sturdy? Does it tilt? I am considering purchasing it but I don't know anyone who has used or even seen it in person. Hoping some of you have.

Tanja

westcoast_Mike
11-29-2011, 10:54 AM
I have one and use it quite a bit. Yes it's sturdy. The only adjustment is for the board size (up\down),it does not tilt. The one thing to be aware of is that you are working right over your sticks. The lower "V" shaped bar only extends so far. If you are working on a board much larger than 9 X 12 you will probably get some dust on your sticks.

Mike_Beeman
11-29-2011, 06:25 PM
I also have one and agree with Mike...the placement left a mess in my box until I attached something to catch the pastel...works well outside!

pastel lover
11-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Hi Guys!

Mike and Mike - thanks so much that helps & really gives me something to consider carefully. Thanks again.

Tanja

Lynndidj
11-30-2011, 12:57 AM
Tanja - I have one as well. It is sometimes convenient - especially if you are doing a class where you have a table to work on and you want to stand - you can put your Heilman open on the table and then attach the easel. It works for me (I'm 5'2"). I'm not thrilled with my Heilman on my tripod ... it just doesn't feel secure enough to me. Maybe that is just me. Anyway, I just use a long tray of aluminum foil underneath my painting and extend it out as far as my surface goes - that usually catches most of the dust. I extend the foil "lip" out in front a bit as well. I have the same issue when I plein air as I use a Soltek easel - I simply put the foil under my board to catch the pastel dust and it keeps it out of my box. I also suggest that you use a surface mounted to a board so you can get it up a little higher away from the bottom of the easel - otherwise it is hard to paint the very bottom of your surface.

Lynn

adventureartist
11-30-2011, 01:07 PM
I have several, love it, use them constantly. I pick out my colors for a painting beforehand, put them in a small plastic tray and cover the rest with a small towel, that way I am protecting the pastels and am not tempted to use too many colors. I find the easel to be very sturdy in all conditions, have used it in windy conditions like the edge of the Grand Canyon and it performs just fine, I use the EasyL tripod which has a hook on the center post on the bottom and I hang my backpack from that for weight. The tripod head tilts forward with a handle adjustment if you want more vertical approach or back for less. Works great.:thumbsup:

pastel lover
12-01-2011, 12:55 AM
Hi Guys,

Lynn - thank you so much for your input. Sounds like we are about the same height & would work for both taking & teaching classes. That is primarily why I am interested in this easel although I also do plein air when its warm. Thanks for the info.
Drusilla - thank you also for your input. That tray sounds like an excellent idea even if I don't get the easel. Also sounds like I need to get one of those tripods! They sound great.
Thanks again.

Tanja

Studio-1-F
12-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Hello Everyone, Has anyone used the Heilman Easel that attaches to their boxes? If so how did you like it? Is it sturdy? Does it tilt? I am considering purchasing it but I don't know anyone who has used or even seen it in person. Hoping some of you have. Tanja
Tanja, I assume you mean this one (http://www.heilmandesigns.com/images/detailed/b__easel_2_42H54168c.jpg). The one that mounts in two holes in the middle of the opened box. Right? If so, I found mine to be a bit wobbly. I don't use it.

Jan

Phil Bates
12-01-2011, 03:29 PM
I agree with Jan, the easel does seem to bend with the pressure of painting, it's bothersome to me but may not be for others. I can't say enough good things about their boxes, though.

Phil

Davkin
12-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Well, darn, that rules me out. I tend to be a bit aggressive. What do you use for an easel when using the Hielman box then Phil?

David

Phil Bates
12-01-2011, 06:12 PM
I use a French easel and put the Heilman Box on another tripod.

P

Davkin
12-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Well, that really rules it out then! :lol: I was hoping the Heilman setup would result in a simpler, lighter setup.

David

pastel lover
12-02-2011, 02:57 AM
Hi All,

Jan - Yep, that's the one I mean. I was wondering about the it just sitting in the holes. Thanks for responding.
Phil - thank you for your input. I am not an aggressive painter but certainly need a steady easel. Thanks.
David - I also was considering it for the weight factor.

Tanja

adventureartist
12-02-2011, 12:09 PM
The "easel" part is hard as heck and does not "bend" you would have to hit it with a hammer to bend it, over an anvil, I know cause I have done it to straighten the aluminum. If you are hitting the paper that hard you would be breaking your pastel sticks! This is a perfectly sturdy arrangement, perhaps the holes the easel stand in were too loose? I have two, the large easel and the small, and have yet to have problems due to any movement or looseness. It's a quality product built to last. Ah to each his own.:D

westcoast_Mike
12-02-2011, 12:26 PM
If you are using it mounted to a tripod. It is only going to be as steady as the tripod\ballhead it is mounted to allows. A good combo is not cheap though. I've seen Artist who have cut corners and have to use one hand to steady their board and one hand to paint.

Davkin
12-02-2011, 12:42 PM
The "easel" part is hard as heck and does not "bend" you would have to hit it with a hammer to bend it, over an anvil, I know cause I have done it to straighten the aluminum. If you are hitting the paper that hard you would be breaking your pastel sticks! This is a perfectly sturdy arrangement, perhaps the holes the easel stand in were too loose? I have two, the large easel and the small, and have yet to have problems due to any movement or looseness. It's a quality product built to last. Ah to each his own.:D

Now we've got conflicting reviews. :confused: Could it be that Phil has an older model that more recently has been upgraded to a stiffer design? What about the fit into the holes? Is that tight or does the easel move around a bit in the holes? What keeps it in the holes, just gravity and friction?

David

westcoast_Mike
12-02-2011, 04:08 PM
It's a friction fit. The holes are drilled through the hinge so it should help to keep them from enlarging over time.

Phil Bates
12-05-2011, 09:03 PM

Mike is correct and the easel doesn't move in the holes. So, I agree with you that the easel is not bending. The anchor point of the tripod is so distant from the painting surface, it doesn't take much pressure to flex the whole tripod head/legs.

If you had the Heilman box anchored on a table, you wouldn't have quite the flex problem. I should have probably mentioned that before. ;-)

Phil

Davkin
12-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Oh, okay, that makes sense now. So the sturdier the tripod the better. I imagine positioning the tripod such that one of the legs sits direction behind the easel would help.

David

Phil Bates
12-06-2011, 05:13 PM
David,
I use very sturdy tripods and still found the flexing to be an issue (for me, maybe not for others).

P

janetpoole
05-15-2012, 01:10 PM
I need to buy a new easel to use with my Heilman backpack box, but as my box is currently at our mountain home in France and I am in the UK would somebody be kind enough to weigh their Heiman Backpack box full of pastels so I can be sure to buy a tripod which will carry enough weight
Thanks in advance.

adventureartist
05-15-2012, 01:29 PM
I get 6.2 pounds, Backpacker, full. I get 2.81227 kg in the conversion.

Talley
05-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Interesting. Made me curious so I just weighed my full backpacker

9.2 pounds or 4.2 Kilos. I have mostly Mount Visions in which do fill it up right to the top so that probably accounts for the difference.

adventureartist
05-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Mine is filled with Giraults mostly....if it gets any heavier I use a horse..:lol:
Must be getting old....:(

japonaise
05-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Have you considered the All-in-One http://www.all-in-oneeasel.com/ ? It's very sturdy. And, for an extra work space, check out the Easel Butler http://www.easelbutler.com/. It fits right onto the tripod, it's the size of a folded umbrella (bumpershoot), and weighs almost nothing. A very convenient tool.

adventureartist
05-15-2012, 09:03 PM
I think that is the only one I do not have..:lol: .I saw Kim Lordier's at IAPS and liked it, but it only carries pastels in one half of the box, Heilman carries on both sides (hence being heavier, it carries more pastels).

japonaise
05-16-2012, 12:22 AM
I think that is the only one I do not have..:lol: .I saw Kim Lordier's at IAPS and liked it, but it only carries pastels in one half of the box, Heilman carries on both sides (hence being heavier, it carries more pastels).

So, maybe an All-in-One for plein air and the Heilman for studio? Oh, that's right, you drive a way cool CJ Cruiser. No limits on where you can go or how many pastels you take along.

Kim has the big All-in-One. I have the small one because a gagillion pastels is a distraction for me. The Easel Butler is a good solution for an additional tray of pastels that is not right in front of my face. The All-in-One maker recommends a Cullmann Magic tripod, but I have a Manfrotto like Kim's. It's a little heavier but easier to set up, very stable, and quite compact. The Manfrotto also has a built in "bubble level" which takes a lot of the guess work out of adjusting the legs.

westcoast_Mike
05-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Or just get a 'Mule'. When my Wife complains about her arthritis, I end up carrying most of her gear.

janetpoole
05-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the help with Heilman box weight. I have bought a Velbon Ultra Rexi L and an easel butler. Looking forward to trying them out.

Lynndidj
05-16-2012, 08:05 PM
One thing about that large all in one that Kim uses - it is a very long reach over that box to your painting surface. I know for certain that I would have shoulder/neck/arm issues with that kind of reach. The Heilman easel is at least a bit forward on the box, making the reach shorter, and the box itself is not as deep - it is wider with pastels on both sides. I have been using mine every week at my art lesson, laying the box on the table and setting my aluminum easel up. As long as I am careful to make sure my top and bottom are level, it has been working fairly well for me. I also do an underpainting, and so I am not laying on huge layers of pastel trying to cover up white.

Lynn

japonaise
05-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the help with Heilman box weight. I have bought a Velbon Ultra Rexi L and an easel butler. Looking forward to trying them out.

Janet: Just for the sake of information, the load capacity for a Velbon Ultra Rexi L is 9.43 pounds - I don't know how that translates into kilos. The load capacity for a Manfrotto 055PROB is 15.43 pounds and a Cullmann Magic is 14. 3 pounds - again, I am an American and the pound to kilo thing escapes me. Plus, you will want to have a counter weight on the tripod legs and then there is the weight of whatever you set onto the Easel Butler. You could be close to weight capacity before you load your Heilman or whatever with pastel sticks.

It is of the utmost importance that you use a tripod that can support the weight of a fully loaded pastel box, plus the counter weight. If the tripod head tilts or the set screws give way due to being over taxed or the legs unlock, your set up will break down - a potential art disaster. If you window shop tripods online you can go to the tab that reads "specifications" where you will find the load capacity of any tripod that interest you. Generally, the best tripod for a pastel box is one that is designed for a video camera rather than a tripod for a stop action camera. J

emaisa
01-01-2013, 02:34 PM
I know this thread is old, but I am confused...if I use my easy-L tripod, can I attach the Heilman pastel box to it???

Davkin
01-01-2013, 03:19 PM
That's a hard one to answer since they don't give any specifications of the tripod on their website, they just call it "professional". My guess is if you've been happy with the stability of your tripod when painting with the Easy-L box it will work okay with a Hielman box as well. You may need to purchase the quick release plate for your tripod if it didn't come with one. I don't have a Hielman myself though, I'm not sure how it attaches but I beleive it's with the standard 1/4-20NC thread that most quick release plates use.

David

timon_sloane
01-02-2013, 08:29 PM
The easy-L tripod works great with the heilman.