PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Binder?

arteachersroc
11-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Hello-

I need to prepare some canvases and it was recommended that I lay an acrylic binder down first but when I checked out the local art supply stores they didn't have a product that said "Acrylic Binder". Does it go by another name or is this something that I need to get online? Thank u:)

Alessandra Kelley
11-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Do you mean acrylic medium? That's the binder which is mixed with pigments to make acrylic paint.

arteachersroc
11-28-2011, 07:12 PM
well, would the medium work as the binder for preparing a canvas?

idylbrush
11-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Look at some of the Golden GAC line, there is one that is a sealer, I think it is the GAC 100.

You can also use any of the acrylic mediums or gesso to prep but you can also use the canvas out of the wrapper if it is gessoed. Try different things to see what works best with your style of application.

Alessandra Kelley
11-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Yep. Any acrylic medium will seal a canvas (well, I'm not sure about matte medium).

Stacey3352
11-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Most people just add a couple coats of gesso. The GAC 100 is the sealer but is not needed for a fresh canvas that has already been primed with gesso. Most prepared canvas are already primed. I always add an extra couple coats myself. It depends what you plan on painting and whether you want to have texture from the canvas left before you apply paint. GAC-100 is needed for certain surfaces but not all.

Einion
11-29-2011, 05:16 AM
I need to prepare some canvases and it was recommended that I lay an acrylic binder down first...
By whom? Was any more detail given?

When you say you need to prepare some canvases, could you tell us what stage you're at exactly so that we can give specific advice.

Einion

arteachersroc
11-30-2011, 12:02 AM
I apologize for the lack of info I talked to a local art store employee about preparing an unprimed canvas for stretching and priming and this was their suggestion...so I was just winging it as far as actually trying to go about it.

Einion
11-30-2011, 03:41 AM
Okie dokie, if you're all set on the mechanics of stretching then there are only two things to worry about: sizing and priming.

Sizing is I think what they were referring to. This is an optional step; not everyone does this and nearly all commercial primed canvases are primed only, but it's quick and easy to do. Normally a diluted adhesive (e.g. PVA) or acrylic medium of one kind or another is used for this but in some cases the first one or two coats of primer can act as the sizing by being diluted quite a bit and applied thinly, which penetrates the weave of the canvas. Some tubs of primer will have application instructions exactly along these lines.

After sizing you apply the acrylic 'gesso' as normal - slightly diluted or straight from the container, depending on how thick it's made - at least a couple of coats but sometimes three or more depending on how much you want the weave to show.

For applying the thicker coats of 'gesso' to canvas I would recommend using a spreader (e.g. old credit card) or a foam roller instead of a brush, as this reduces or eliminates the need to sand to remove brushmarks.

Einion