PDA

View Full Version : Scam Alert

bnoonan
11-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Had to share this with you. Those emailing frauds are getting crafty. This one came today regarding a painting they saw on my web site.

From: Sgtmikesilverburg (Note the Sgt which I'm supposed to think is from a Sargent) Sorry I'm not buying it.

Good day to you over there, My name is Micheal Silverberg I'm from phoenix and my eyes caught this particular work, i will like to have it for my new apartment this month.please let me know if the piece is available, if yes let me have the detailed price and more information about it. i will be waiting to read from you.Regards.

Nope - not going to happen...

Be wary...

Orchid Lady
11-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Looks like Micheal can't even spell Michael the right way. Add to this his poor grasp of English with the wrong verbs and syntax in general, and you have a classic case of "scammer".

Colorix
11-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Plus: Lower case "i", commas and stops not standard. New apartment/house/office, and short time frame.

bnoonan
11-25-2011, 12:27 PM
It gets better... his reply is to....

"mmmoreef"

equinespirit
11-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Lol!
I dont understand how the scam would work though? :confused:

Davkin
11-25-2011, 03:41 PM
I don't understand either why you automatically assume a hoax. Not sure what it would hurt to email the guy a price? I've seen plenty of native english speakers that can't write a very coherent sentence let alone one that is 100% grammatically correct, besides the fact there are some 30 million + in the US that are not native english speakers.

David

CM Neidhofer
11-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Had to share this with you. Those emailing frauds are getting crafty. This one came today regarding a painting they saw on my web site.

From: Sgtmikesilverburg (Note the Sgt which I'm supposed to think is from a Sargent) Sorry I'm not buying it.

Good day to you over there, My name is Micheal Silverberg I'm from phoenix and my eyes caught this particular work, i will like to have it for my new apartment this month.please let me know if the piece is available, if yes let me have the detailed price and more information about it. i will be waiting to read from you.Regards.

Nope - not going to happen...

Be wary...

It reads just like all the scam emails about winning money, foreign lotteries, beneficiary stories. Got one once said I was the beneficiary of a relative who died in a car crash in some obscure foreign country and all I had to do to receive my inheritance of some odd millions of dollars, was send my name, address, telephone number, bank account number and routing number so they could deposit my money, along with a cashier's "cheque" (note spelling) for $450 for processing and I would receive my money. Yeah, sure....can we say identity theft??

Deborah Secor
11-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Oh yeah, it's a scam! I plugged your email message into Google and found this: http://stopartscams.blogspot.com/
The wording, grammar and syntax (even punctuation) on this one sent to Barb is exactly the same, in large part, to the one posted at this link on Nov. 2.

KMorrisArt
11-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Thank you for letting me know about this potential scam. I received this email from a “Micheal Silverberg” through my website email:

Good day to you over there, My name is Micheal Silverberg I'm from phoenix and my eyes caught this particular work, i will like to have it for my new apartment this month.please let me know if the piece is available, if yes let me have the detailed price and more information about it. i will be waiting to read from you. Regards.
As I frequently do when I received this kind of purchase request, I copy the email text in Google to see what comes up. I found your warning here on Wet Canvas. Thank you for posting this notice. Since I do negotiate legitimate sales of my art on-line it can be hard to tell the difference at first from the people who really do want to buy my art from the people who are part of some scam. Some tell-tell signs I have found are the real buyers tell me how much the like the (insert a part of the painting here) and how much they want to have it in their (insert room here). They sometimes also mention why is meaningful to them. The scam letters are very bland with generic info and bad spelling. I also rely on people posting their stories online as the scammers are getting craftier all the time. One thing they don’t seem to be able to compensate for is the power of people posting notices warning others about them. Thank you for letting people know about bogus emails they may find in their Inboxes. Artist friends, don't be fooled by emails from "Micheal" or ones like this.

Colorix
11-25-2011, 05:48 PM
I don't understand either why you automatically assume a hoax. Not sure what it would hurt to email the guy a price? I've seen plenty of native english speakers that can't write a very coherent sentence let alone one that is 100% grammatically correct, besides the fact there are some 30 million + in the US that are not native english speakers.

David
Or us aliens, abroad, who are not English speakers. But, if you have seen some 30 of these emails (check the art business forum, there are plenty of them there), then you recognize a scam, they all follow the same pattern. I tested one, responded, and yes they would pay more than the paintings cost so I could pay their shipper who would call at my house. Not only would I have lost 3 paintings, I'd also lost the payment from their false check/stolen credit card/etc, *plus* would have lost my own good solid cash paying the 'shipper'.

They are counting on our being desperate for selling, especially several paintings. And they're always in a hurry, stressing us to make foolish decisions. "The shipper can only pick up today, in two hours time, please give your address asap" (worse spelling, though... :D )

If in doubt, google the name and add scam to the search. Usually they are known scammers, with dozens of aliases. Not always, though. You can also check their IP addresses.

allydoodle
11-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Geez, is there no end to the scams out there? I've not sold strictly on the internet yet, all my sales have been person to person or through a gallery. The reason for me even having a blog is to have a place I can send people to so they can view my work. I think if I were to sell something online, I would have to ask for a money order or maybe do something like Paypal to make sure I get paid before I ship a painting. I would make sure I got the cash one way or another, and I would think Paypal or moneyorder is the way to go? Nothing would ship until I was sure I had cash in my hands with no check waiting to clear.

Right now I don't have this problem, but I'm nervous about the first time I get an inquiry like this, I'm not sure how I might handle it. I just might walk away thinking it's just not worth it.

Don't you just hate this? I know I do..............

equinespirit
11-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info :thumbsup:
I would think paypal is still pretty safe? :confused:

Devonlass
11-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Another artist friend has just alerted me to a scam from Monicabraithwaite.com which originates in South Africa .... So watch out for this one too.

Colorix
11-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Sarah, PP is pretty safe, but no system ever is foolproof. If the bank-account associated with their PP has stolen money on it, it can go bad.

Kathryn Wilson
11-26-2011, 07:36 AM
What is sad is that they wouldn't do this if it weren't paying off ... so there are people/artists out there still falling for these scams.

Deborah Secor
11-26-2011, 11:29 AM
I've done business in person and online for a number of years now, and I think you develop a sense of who can be trusted. If I have inquiry come in from the blue (let's say, not from my current sales listed on my blog, but some stale painting that's at the top/front of my web page), I'll take a very careful look at it. If it's a foreign country and for thousands of dollars, I'll offer to run the sale through the gallery that represents me. That has separated the men from the boys, so to speak. It filters out those who want to 'make an offer' and get a 50% price break, as well as scammers, who just never reply (I think--though they never replied, so I don't know.)

PayPal is helpful, especially in taking foreign currency. It takes time for the funds to clear the bank, so I don't promise shipping instantly. It honestly takes me a while to prep things to ship, but it's also good to allow a bit of time to make sure of the funds. If they can't wait a couple weeks or a month for the paintings, it's too good to be true, and likely a scam. And if I miss selling thousands of dollars worth of paintings to the richest man in Dubai, so be it.

PETE K
11-26-2011, 08:03 PM
one sure tell sign I find, most have this saying at the end "waiting to read from you"

pamthepainter
02-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Hello,

I am new to WetCanvas, FineArtAmerica and attempting to sell art online. I just posted to FineArtAmerica in January and had an interested buyer. I will posted our conversation at the end of this. I didn't want to sell in the end since he wanted me to send to Belgium and said he would pay with some certified bank check. I live in the US. Anyway, I received a message, supposedlly from the BBB today about a customer complaint. I didn't follow the link because I don't trust things these days. I will call our local office soon.

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions or have you experienced anything like this?

Best regards,
Pam

This is the email conversation we had: I received no response from him regarding my final reply:

I will like to know that am interested in the purchase of your art work..i am satisfied with all the details posted with it..i will like to know if the piece is still available for sale?

My reply:

Hello Phillip,
Thank you for your interest in my "Autumn Marsh" painting. Yes, it is still available. Are you aware that it is an unframed pastel?
Are you still interested in it?
Warm regards,
Pam Short

His reply which made me uncomfortable...

Thanks for the response,
I am satisfied with the piece and will be purchasing it.what is your last asking price?the piece will be shipped to Hasselt,Belgium..i will be paying through a bank certified check that will fully clears the bank before pickup is made..The payment you will be getting will includes the moving fees..i hope i can trust you with it?The funds will cover the packaging of the piece,insurance,custom and excise duties..It is needed for a gift in a family reunion coming up..kindly send me your full contact details to mail out the payment..hope to read from you soon.
Regards.
Philip Weber.

My reply because I don't want the hassle to ship overseas and am told PayPal is the best method of payment.

Hello Philip,
Actually, I can only accept Paypal and will only ship within the continental United States. The price is $250.
If you are still interested please let me know. I do have a local family that contacted me this morning with interest.
Best regards,
Pam Short

pamthepainter
02-17-2012, 10:27 AM
I just spoke with my local BBB and she told me that the message I received that was saying there was a complaint against me is a phishing message. DO NOT follow the link. She told me I can forward the message to [email protected] They are investigating where these messages are coming from.

bnoonan
02-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Good for you in avoiding this.:thumbsup:

To me it sounded very similar to all the scams....

I had something similar and tried to report it to Fineartamerica and failed to get a live person. But I think:thumbsup: they are aware they are being targeted as well.

Barb

RiJoRi
02-17-2012, 12:37 PM
"i hope i can trust you with it?" -- I wonder if there are scams going the other way; that is, people pretending to be artists and pretending to sell (pretend!) artworks.

--Rich
(Do I get something for using "pretend" three times in a sentence? :D )

adventureartist
02-17-2012, 01:55 PM
I write em back and say I have no paintings for sale but they are invited to be the guest of honor to our Friday night "Arizona Necktie Party" should they want to visit.....:D
As Judge Roy Bean would say "HANG EM!"

Finvarra
02-18-2012, 06:51 AM
These people always want to 'pay' by some other method than Paypal. I have had a number of variations on this theme, and if I'm not sure if it's a scam, I just tell them I ONLY accept payment via Paypal, and will not ship paintings until the funds have cleared. They never get back - speaks for itself.

Cheers
Lesley

mollerman
02-18-2012, 08:11 AM
You mean something like this>>>

"I am satisfied with the piece and will be purchasing it.what is your last asking price?the piece will be shipped to Hasselt,Belgium..i will be paying through a bank certified check that will fully clears the bank before pickup is made..The payment you will be getting will includes the moving fees..i hope i can trust you with it?The funds will cover the packaging of the piece,insurance,custom and excise duties..It is needed for a gift in a family reunion coming up..kindly send me your full contact details to mail out the payment..hope to read from you soon."

"I will like you to know that the payment of a Cashier check will delivers to you anytime from now..through certified regular mail..Kindly acknowledge the receipt of payment for all necessary things to be done about the shipping and pickup of the artwork..
Have a lovely new week."
Regards.

This was the second message I received almost identical grammer and spelling from another party previously. In this case, the interested party sent a cashiers check in the name of someone else, a hand signed envelope with no return address, the check was made out for $2,700, over $1,900 more than the items including shipping and there was a third different name somewhere else? There was no phone number to contact the Green Bank, supposedly located in Greenville, TN but the check was mailed air mail overseas? Now, this all happened after I notified the party that I would only take paypal or a personal check which would need to clear the bank! At no time did I ever receive the parties address or ship to location.

laneart
02-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Whether artists or not, if you have an email address, these people will try their numerous and now stale tricks to steal from you. I have had 2 such scammers contact me in the past 2 weeks. One is Brandon5079.....the other I don't recall as I sent them to my spam report.
They found me on artsmap.com, a registry for people in the arts. Classic case of bad spelling, shot full of grammatical errors and some mumbo-jumbo about having someone pick-up the painting when they send the "cheque".
Beware and some artists need to sell work they fall for this.

Ruthie57
02-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Not quite the same I know but I had to laugh when I got an e mail this week headed Your Tax appeal has been rejected! It allegedly came from the IRS and I checked the property details without opening the mail to find that, if I wanted to put forward a case why my tax appeal should not be rejected I was to click on a link.
Funny for me as I am in the UK and the IRS does not reach this far!! Could be a bummer for a US citizen who happens to be in dispute with the IRS though....so watch out!

Lee Alban
06-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Do not think that by waiting for the check to clear that it is safe to complete one of these transactions. Micheal's check will probably come from a Phoenix bank, but drawn on an overseas account (Micheal has used a UK account in the past). It is common for your U.S. bank to clear the funds as soon as they can, but because of the overseas delay, your bank does not receive payment as expected. Your bank then informs you that the "cleared" funds were not deposited as anticipated and you have to debit that amount back your account.

flowergirl
07-01-2012, 12:04 AM
I received a similar email request quoting information regarding one of my paintings -- the name of the painting, its size, media and the paper used. Exactly as I had it listed in my local Pastel Society's website Gallery. As I do not have a website, he/she had to have gotten the information from that site. I contacted the site manager and he told me not to respond and that others in the society had received the same request.

naomiball
07-04-2012, 02:58 AM
Years ago a guy wanted to buy a necklace from me and refused to go through paypal. He wanted to send me his paycheck! so I could take out the cost of the necklace and send him the difference. I told him I wasn't interested but he sent me a $3000 check anyway! (It took several emails to communicate all this and I did give him my work address, which probably wasn't a good idea.) I called the number on the check, it was a legitimate business but they didn't know the guy. He expected me to deposit the money then send him $2950! The check would have bounced of course, then I would have had to pay the bank back and he would have a wad of cash in is pocket!

barriespapa
07-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Hi Barb i shurly appreeshate thi heds up. I have been lucky so far haven't run into the bad guys yet knock on wood.
david

angie_v
07-05-2012, 03:53 PM
I'd just like to mention that Paypal transactions are not 100% safe, or foolproof. If someone hacked into someone else's Paypal and used their funds to pay for a painting that you sent out; that money will be refunded to the person who got hacked. I know this, becuase I had my Paypal hacked and a 500$ transaction occured without my consent - Paypal gave me all my money back, even after it had 'gone through' to the recieving party. Lucky, it was just for an online account services (some sort of game thing), so the other end wasn't out of any physical item, but they were forced to return my funds (which, they had no problem with and were totally sympathetic). I'm not sure what they would do in the situation where a physical item of worth is lost from one side.

bnoonan
07-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Yikes!

song_bird
07-06-2012, 05:30 PM
So how would this scam work? The original memo simply sounds like an inquiry. Once they start asking for those typical odd arrangements, the deal would be off. I don't think many would fall for that stuff.

btw, Please don't give them tips for how to improve their techniques by detailing what a real customer does (KMorris's post)! Reminds me of the news guys on tv mapping out the war strategies for the enemy.

Scammers I've gotten stuff from sound ridiculous. I can't see how anyone would fall for it.

bnoonan
09-11-2012, 12:24 AM
I just heard of another person who is receiving emails from the same author I had my encounter with.

Had to recommend this link to an artist familiar with scams who has written a great set of books on the subject.... Kathleen is an artist friend who ironically recommended WC to me years and year ago. Be careful out there... Barb

http://www.ktmobooks.com/

mcdougal
12-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Wanted to say how grateful I am, that you all have contributed to this thread. Today, I received this email. I googled the name, and this thread popped up. I had rather untrusting feeling about this. Thank you all so very much, for saving me the embarrassment of falling for this. Wonder how he/she trolls for artists? Interesting to me, that the included the description of a recent painting that was in a gallery. Thanks again to all of you, who contributed to this thread. Here's the email I received:
Hi there,
My name is Michael,im from phoenix,was browsing through the internet and my eyes caught this particular work(Path to Hot Tin Roof),will like to have it for my new apartment probably this month.please let me know if the piece is available and if yes let me have the detailed price and more information about it. i will be waiting to read from you.
Regards.