PDA

View Full Version : Flying P Liner Peking (x post from marine art forum)

JATART
11-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Hello All! :wave:

I've just completed another painting, and thought you might like to take a look at it. The subject is the sailing barque Peking, one of the last steel hulled "Windjammers". She was employed in the nitrate and wheat trade around Cape Horn in the early 1900's, as one of the "Flying P Liners" of the German shipping company F Laiesz. She is currently a museum ship at the South Street Seaport Museum in New York City. The ship is huge, over 400 ft long and masts stand over 180 ft above the deck.

I was inspired to do this painting after seeing a documentary made in 1929 by Irving Johnson called "Around Cape Horn", in which he filmed the Peking in horrendous weather and sea conditions.

The work is 36 X 24 inches (90 X 60 CM) and is acrylic on canvas. The setting is of the Peking just exiting a storm, with Cape Horn in the distance.

All questions and comments are very welcome!
Jim T.

Linee
11-23-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm in awe.

bertschikon
11-23-2011, 12:00 PM
A lovely painting Jim - and a brave skipper to emerge from a storm round the Cape with all sails set. It must have been a lively ride!

JATART
11-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Hi Linda and Doug!

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your comments! Yes, you are right about having all the sheets set, it must have taked a lot of guts. I too was surprised when I saw in "Around the Horn" that most Windjammer skippers were so concerned with making good time they would keep full sail until the sheets ripped from the force of the wind, then replace them. I did leave the Top Royals in a "slacked off" configuration to ease the strain on the masts.

Thanks again!
Jim

WILT
11-23-2011, 02:02 PM
excellent water rendition ( I find that the hard part!)

JATART
11-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Hi Wilt!

Thank you so much. ME TOO!!! Painting water in a believable state has always been a challenge for me. I have a lot of canvases in my basement that will never see le light of day!:lol:

thanks again!
Jim

Eraethil
11-24-2011, 05:14 AM
Great job - particularly enjoy the colour harmony in this piece!

chammi kaiser
11-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Wow! Jim. What an absolutely superb painting. The sea, the wind in the sails; everything is magical. I love those pinky colours in the sails.

JATART
11-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi Rick and Chammi!

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your comments! What I try to so to harmonize the colors is to use variations of the same colors in all parts of the painting. I'm only an amature though, so sometimes it's pure luck if it comes out right!:lol:

Thanks again!
Jim

paznbaz
11-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Brilliant! love the water movement

FoxEnova
11-26-2011, 01:23 AM
Very Nice , excellent color with great water and sky.