PDA

View Full Version : Limited Palette

timms
11-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi, all. I have been using a very limited pallette in watercolors and am looking to find similar colors in heavy body acrylics - any suggestions? The watercolors I am using are:

Transparent Yellow (Maybe Quinacrodone Gold??)
Quinacridone Red
Windsor Blue (Green Shade)
Winsor Green (Blue Shade) and
Winsor Violet

Thanks!:crossfingers:

timms
11-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Oh - also the same info for FLUID acrylics, please???

DAK723
11-20-2011, 03:18 PM
It is always a good idea (if possible) to acquaint oneself with the pigment numbers rather than try to match color names because color names don't match between brands and are often confusing. That being said, your watercolors seem to be Winsor & Newton, so your pigments would be:

Transparent Yellow = PY 150 Nickel Azo Yellow
Quinacridone Red = PR209
Winsor Blue (green) = PG7
Winsor Green (blue) = PB15
Winsor Violet = PV23 Dioxazine Violet

It might be a good idea to start with Winsor Newton Acrylics, since they are the same manufacturer. They have the same basic pigments for all 5 of these, with the following names:

PY150 - Nickel Azo Yellow
PR209 - Quinacridone Red
PG7 - Phthalo Green (blue)
PB15.3 - Phthalo Blue (green)
PV23 - Dioxazine Purple

The other brand I checked (Golden) also had these 5 colors with the same names as above in both heavy duty and fluid acrylics, so these colors seem to be pretty popular.

Of course, I am answering your question based on pigment numbers alone. They might not be perfect color matches since pigments can differ in different mediums and brands.

The Dick Blick website has a nice feature for most of their piants. If you click on the "Item No." for each individually listed tube, you will get pigment information as well as a color swatch.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-artists-acrylics/

Hope this helps.

Don

timms
11-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks, Don - this is exactly what I need. I already have the heavy body equivalents (mostly) and I will start comparing them before I order the fluids. Much appreciated

Einion
11-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Hi Marilyn, since you're in Canada in addition to W&N which is obviously a brand you already know and like, I'd recommend having a look at Tri-Art. They make one of my favourite acrylics anyway and as a Canadian brand they might be a good buy for you.

One of the transparent yellows I'd recommend the most these days is Isoindoline Yellow, PY110, which Tri-Art use in their Indian Yellow. Very different to Nickel Azo Yellow but I think it's a better colour type overall, especially for a limited palette.

Obviously the Phthalo Blue Green Shade, Phthalo Green Blue Shade and Dioxazine Purple are easy to look for so no need to touch on those.

Tri-Art's version of Quinacridone Red is made from PV19 (what would often be called Quinacridone Rose or Permanent Rose) so it's quite a different colour, their Pyrrole Red Medium would be a closer match if you want the colour to be more like what you're used to.

Einion

timms
11-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks, Einon - I will look into it