PDA

View Full Version : adding mica to acrylic medium?

pineapple_678
11-19-2011, 03:26 PM
So you all might be familiar with interference paints.

since i have a background of working with cosmetic micas and other interference pigments, i was wondering i could add these to an acrylic medium to sort of mix my own paint with these effects.

so i did and it looks wonderful.. yet how do i know if this is stable or lightfast??
how will i know if these paintings will last for the next 50 years??

have anyone done this? or have any experience in this?

idylbrush
11-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Life has no guarantees. To find out you can do a quick test. Paint you mixture on a card, cover half to eliminate light, or cut it in half, expose one piece or exposed surface to sunlight and see what happens in a week, a month, a year....or have an independent lab test it for you.

pineapple_678
11-19-2011, 03:48 PM
what labs can do this? and how much would that cost?

idylbrush
11-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Do you know how to use google?

Go to www.google.com

In the search field type

Independent testing lab

Hit search (return)

And see where it leads.

Stacey3352
11-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Call golden. They make both interference paint as well as mediums containing mica.

BeeCeeEss
11-19-2011, 08:41 PM
I believe finely ground mica particles are used by paint manufacturers in paints to give them a "metallic" or iridescent sheen. They are archival and won't discolor with age. I wondered about this myself some years ago and made some inquiries to acrylic paint manufacturers. I wanted to use some metallic colors in some of my paintings and worried that they would discolor or oxidize with age unless specially sealed. I was told that the glittery little particles in the paint were not metal but finely ground mica that would not oxidize or deteriorate.

Beverly

pineapple_678
11-20-2011, 02:23 AM
awesome!! thanks so much! : D

idylbrush
11-20-2011, 07:14 AM
While the mica may not be an issue, even some paint folks add them (see Golden paint chart), the color added could still have issues and fade in time. You are not out of the woods just yet.

jbosh1972
04-17-2013, 04:00 PM
My experience has been to add interference mica pigments to colored metallic paints. It adds an ethereal pearl glow that pops on smooth 3D surfaces.