PDA

View Full Version : pastes and texutre gels

Paintinglover
11-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Can anyone tell me what companies they had experience with, and what the consistencies were like in pastes and gels? I heard good things about liquitex super heavy gloss gel /9sound good for what I want) and I also I read somewhere that liquitex modeling paste has a consistency similar to drywall, where as golden has a more smooth, plastic-y feel. I like the plastic description better.

Can anyone recommend anything like it? Or the Super heavy gloss gel? I'll golden and that super heavy gel, any others that provide a really, THICK, but smooth texture, to hold up real mountains of paint, with a plastic-y feel, and minimum shrinkage?

idylbrush
11-19-2011, 07:15 AM
In my humble opinion, you can't go wrong with either Golden or Liquitex. Others that I have found to be good are Kroma and Matisse.

You will find that each artist has his/her own preference. What I like you may hate.It really is a matter of personal preference. Sometimes it takes experimentation to find out exactly what is perfect for your needs.

Shrinkage will happen. As the water evaporates out of the medium there is going to be a certain amount of shrinkage.

One thing I've been doing recently, and it seems to be helping considerably, is adding a bit of marble dust to some paste mediums. It does make it a bit thicker and gives it a bit more bulk but also be aware that it adds weight. It is not something you want to overdo, but, it is certainly interesting.

Good luck!

asnowfall
11-20-2011, 11:51 PM
I have used Golden Hard molding paste to construct parts that are at least ~5mm tall. Paste was able to hold on to peaks. I was not in a hurry so let it dry for few weeks. Golden also makes Light molding paste and is not going to hold on to peaks. Light molding paste is grainy and not that sticky, feels very different compared to Hard Molding paste.

I do have heavy gel. really doubt it would hold on to peaks. Gels are transparent and pastes are opaque, if it is important to you.