PDA

View Full Version : Mural help!

Horse Party Time
11-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Hello all--newbie here hoping to get some advice/help.

I'm going to be doing an acrylic mural for a friend and had two questions:

1. The mural will be on a living room wall (interior). Should I gesso the area or paint directly on the wall (I think it's currently got some brand of semi-gloss).

2. What should I use to seal the finished product? I'm saying "seal" because I don't know what the official name would be. Brand names would be a plus. If I can get it through Dick Blick that would be a double plus.

Thanks!

Side note: anyone know how to put thumbnails of your work in the signature section of this forum?

idylbrush
11-18-2011, 08:05 PM
You may want to consider a gesso only if you think it required for longevity. If long term longevity is imperative, I would consider a faux wall of canvas. For long term consideration you might want to finish as you would any painting.

If none of the above is a requirement ,then I would consider house paint, in this case interior paint and a polyurethane might be of value.

Horse Party Time
11-19-2011, 12:24 AM
You may want to consider a gesso only if you think it required for longevity. If long term longevity is imperative, I would consider a faux wall of canvas. For long term consideration you might want to finish as you would any painting.

If none of the above is a requirement ,then I would consider house paint, in this case interior paint and a polyurethane might be of value.

I think longevity is somewhat of a concern. In terms of finishing it like I would any painting--I never put anything over my paintings because I don't know what to use (although I know that some people use stuff to cover/seal their work).

What is the finish called? Polyurethane?

idylbrush
11-19-2011, 07:08 AM
For acrylics, Golden paints suggests several layers of soft gel medium and then a removable varnish. There are two in the Golden paint line. One is MSA (removed with mineral spirits) and the other is a alkaline removable varnish (ammonia). MSA requires the use of paint thinner or mineral spirits, the other, water. I

See the Golden paint web site (http://www.goldenpaints.com/search/index.php?q=removable+varnish) about application.

Charlie's Mum
11-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Howard (Idylbrush) will always give you good advice:).
I can only say what I did 11 years ago on out kitchen wall .......

The wall was already covered with a white good quality matt emulsion.
I used ordinary acrylics - in fact, they were not the best quality!, however, it's still as it was then - hasn't deteriorated in any way and no extra surface protection

If you have a semi-gloss surface, I'd suggest sanding it to give a key first.

PS - signature banner -

go to 'MY WC

click on edit signature in the left hand column

upload an image or banner - maximum size 60p hiugh by 480p long (must be made as a single image, not uploading individual files).

Click 'save' and Bingo! :D

Horse Party Time
11-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks all!

OkeeKat
11-21-2011, 12:33 AM
I have done many murals inside some dry wall walls and others painted concrete or stucco walls.
the owner had bought many small cans for another artist that started the first one, but then moved.
So I continued to use the paint she had which were cans of Behr indoor paint
mixed in many colors... But as I painted the murals, I added my own colors too using my Liquitex heavy body paint. Holding up just fine!
though on some areas it did require a few coats as the surface was semigloss I was painting on and therefore a little slippery and didnt hold good first coat.. Didn't cause any problems though.
Feel free to view a few of my murals on my facebook pages.
good luck.