PDA

View Full Version : Psa

jackiesimmonds
03-18-2003, 08:28 AM
I am curious to know if any of you fellow pastellists have applied for membership of the PSA, and if so, how was it for you?

Jackie

zilloot
03-18-2003, 08:50 AM
Hi Jackie
I probably have no right to comment just being 18months into an 'artist' way of life but for what it's worth, IF I reached the standard to apply to the PS etc...I am completely snookered by not living in London.

Cost of shows, travel, couriers etc, or am I just cynical...

zilloot

Smudger
03-18-2003, 09:45 AM
I read about the problem you had with them in a previous thread but if they won't take you, what hope is there for us mere mortals!!
It's probably more old school tie than old school pastel, so don't let them get you down, you're to good for them anyway.

crumbedbrains
03-18-2003, 09:50 AM
Well . . .er . . yeah . . . but it was the Pastel Society of Australia!! LOL . . but you'd be most welcome!!
Crumby :)

jackiesimmonds
03-18-2003, 01:10 PM
Thanks, Zilloot & Smudger, but I meant the Pastel Society of America (PSA) not the PS (Pastel Society) which is UK based.

And thanks, Crumby, but I think Oz is just a WEE bit too far away!

Jackie

bnoonan
03-18-2003, 01:30 PM
I'm afraid I haven't attempted it yet but plan on doing so this year or when I feel I'm ready. I have another friend who was going to submit her application. I'll ask her what she's experienced and get back to you.

(Now I'm curious and have to read your other thread).

barb

Smudger
03-18-2003, 02:33 PM
Doh! trust me to get the wrong end of thr stick!
Just found this thread in the hall of fame... it might help

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3104

DFGray
03-18-2003, 02:36 PM
hi
Are you trying to find a group to let you in?
regards
Dan

jackiesimmonds
03-18-2003, 02:55 PM
thanks folks.

Yes, Dan, I am. It would be nice to have some acceptance from a Pastel Society somewhere, and as I am unable to do so here in the UK, I thought I might try elsewhere.

Any thoughts?
Jackie

DFGray
03-18-2003, 03:06 PM
Hi
I wonder what the benifit is for other nationalities to belong to groups which are regional or national?
I find when I am in a organization I end up doing a lot of work,
(organized a national pastel show 2000)
others join for their own benifit,
I may be most proud of being kicked out of a local Federation of Canadian Artist chapter (still in national organization)
some doors opened when joining the PSC,
but I still struggle with art making, no group can fix that

regards
Dan
ps once did a demo for the president of your Pastel Society of Britain

BevL
03-18-2003, 03:23 PM
It amazes me Jackie that the criteria to become a member isnt the same for all societies. I just looked at the Pastel Artists of Ontario site. They are a part of the International Association of Pastel Societies.

To become a member of PAO, all that is required is a $30 fee. And it says as I quote here "Members are automatically part of the Membership in the International Society for Pastel Societies and may participate in IAPS Biennial Convention, as well of course in our own Members Shows and the Juried Shows of the Pastel Society of Eastern Canada, in Montreal."

So, it appears that for $30, I can be have my name on both these society lists, including the International Society, for a small fee.
I do NOT have to submit work to be accepted as a member.

All I have to do to become a signature member is, if I remember correctly, to have been accepted into three juried shows.

So.. why would it not be the same for everyone, everywhere, if they were to be all a part of the International Society? This means I can become a member with 6 weeks of experience behind me, and you, with years of experience, an author, awards, and exhibitions of your work cannot?!!

Something is very wrong here Jackie!

Bev

soap
03-19-2003, 07:32 AM
Totally agree - something IS wrong here. It's ridiculous that you have such problems getting in. Aren't societies there to support, innovate and spread the word? Are you supposed te be left hanging here in the UK? It is ridiculous!

What about the Birminham Society?

doe
03-19-2003, 09:52 AM
My experience with PSA was a few years ago. It wasn't bad, but I didn't get in. They require three GOOD slides to jury you in. When they reject you they offer a critique, for a fee. So I sent the same slides in for the critique and it was well worth it. I received an honest, professional critique and found out one of my slides was so bad (too dark) it couldn't be critiqued. (I still don't own a slide projector, so that was my own fault.) So the one bad slide didn't help me one bit, but maybe I wasn't ready at the time either. The critique also included some advice on good books to read and pointed out my strengths. They seem to me to be a professional group and not political.

As soon as I have three more good slides and I've seen them on a slide projector, I'll probably resubmit.

jackiesimmonds
03-19-2003, 11:13 AM
Dan - let me reply to you first. Yes, I know full well that being a member of a society won't make me paint better. BUT in my experience, sometimes having a membership of this sort makes you more acceptable to a gallery owner, and sometimes to a buyer. Gallery owners very often know how to run galleries, and have a good sense of what sells, but sometimes they know little or nothing about painting, and knowing that someone has membership of a society helps them to feel better about taking a chance on an artist.

Even if it doesn't make me paint any better, or sell any better, it might well make me FEEL good to have acceptance and accreditation from my peers (especially when you consider that sometimes, the motivation for buying a picture is that it should match a sofa or curtains!).

I need to explain here that since I began to write books, and make art instruction videos, that is when the problems arose here with the PS in this country. The message got back to me that I was thought to be "too commercial" to be considered for membership. This, apparently is frowned upon in the rarified atmosphere of the art world here in the UK (unless you are all ready a PS member, perhaps, she said with some cynicism). I really resent this , actually, and would prefer (Soap, this answers you too) to be a member of the Pastel Society of America, than the UK PS, now, or the even smaller Birmingham society. My sense is that the US society would not look down upon me for writing books and making videos; they might even applaud this aspect of my painting career. And who knows what doors might open if I am accepted - it is worth the effort involved.

Bev - I am not sure that I would value membership of a society which simply asked me to put up some money, without wanting to see my work.

Well - I shall have a go, it will cost me a bit of money and a slap to my ego if I fail, but nothing ventured, nothing gained! Wish me luck, guys.

Jackie

BevL
03-19-2003, 11:30 AM
I dont understand it, Jackie. So what if you sell books and videos! You're also selling your skills to help thousands around the world, to develop their skills! Arent pastel societies all about promoting the medium?

If its any consolation.. Robert Bateman is rejected here by the National Galleries, because he sells reproduction prints. And he was once called ' a mere illustrator' by a critic.

I hear you about a society that only asks for a fee to join. However, in looking at the Ontario Society website, it indeed is quality work, and they do seem interested in helping others develop their knowledge and skill with pastels. In other words.. they dont seem to give the impression that you have to be 'good enough', but the work I see there is good. They seem more accepting, rather than wanting to lock people out who dont measure up to 'their' interpretation of high standards... yet the work is high standard. Take a look for yourself if you want.. see what you think.. http://www.pastelartists.com/

There is also a note in there about non residents becoming members. Wonder what that means? (obviously people not living in Ontario.. but does that mean Ontario residents who just happen to be living somewhere else? I dont know).

BevL
03-19-2003, 11:46 AM
oops! I forgot to say.. .Good luck Jackie! You would be a valuable asset to any society!

(stuff like what you went through with that society angers me.. and I cant think clearly. Unfair treatment really gets my back up! )

Bev

zilloot
03-19-2003, 12:10 PM
and here is good luck from zilloot :clap: :clap: :clap:

Let us know how you get on...

jackiesimmonds
03-20-2003, 03:40 AM
thanks very much, Bev and Zilloot. I will keep you posted for sure!

Jackie

Christel
03-20-2003, 09:01 AM
Hello Jacky,

why don't you try french society ?

Margaret Glass who is living in UK is also a member of this society. and France is near UK.

take a look at

http://www.pastellistesdefrance.com/societaires.htm

(sorry it is still in french )

Bobbie
03-20-2003, 11:18 AM
Dear Jackie,
First, I must tell you that I am an ardent admirer of yours. I am always looking for your work in books and online. I ordered a tape and book of yours some time ago w/friend, Joyce Madden here in Denver area. You are truly an inspiration to me. I think you are an incredible artist as well as instructor.
I agree with you about the "status" , if you will, about membership in PSA. IMHO I would suggest you apply. I would expect you to be immediately accepted because of your truly exceptional talent! I could not imagine anything but success for you.

louiethe_cat
03-21-2003, 01:08 AM
I didn't even know what the PSA was until last year....hee hee, well, I guess I'll be ready to apply, in about 15 to 20 years. lol? LOL!