PDA

View Full Version : Hi!! New here:)

vgumparthi
11-16-2011, 01:36 PM
:wave: Hello everyone!

I was a member of wet canvas a while back and have rejoined today. I haven't painted in a while...and I want to get back to it.

I scrapbook regularly. I wanted to get some paints which will be suitable for both canvas and paper stamping. I was leaning towards liquitex soft body. What do you think?

I would also love your help to decide which colors should I buy first. It is so confusing! I have brushes,canvas and a very good easel in hand.

Looking forward toyour suggestions!

Thankyou!
Viji

noodle1
11-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Hi and Welcome back, I don't do much scrapbooking but I think they'd do just fine, you can use them for stenciling and printmaking etc. so why not. You could probably even put the color on your stamper with a brush heavy enough to transfer even adding maybe a little texture to the imprint, these are the medium viscosity paints with a new name so good for both things in my opinion.

You'll have to share something if you decide to go with them so we can see the end result.

Elaine

vgumparthi
11-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Thankyou Elaine! Your works gorgeous:-)

Can you please help me figure out which colors should I be buying to start with? I don't want to spend more than $100. I don't know which colors can be achieved by mixing colors. What are colors which end with the word hues? I would like to get a slow drying medium to do canvas work..and add some texture ...modeling paste is why I was thinking. I have ever used mediums before.

noodle1
11-17-2011, 10:42 AM
What are colors which end with the word hues? Means it may not have the same mixing characteristics of full strength as the others.
Often times too they're a bit less expensive.
Sorry not much help in the medium department I just use water.

Further down I gave you a link to our Kiosk...lots of answers to lots of things in there, excellent resource of information.

Choosing what to buy is sometimes up to what you want to paint, but a fairly basic color palette could be something like this, which should give you some stretch in both endeavors. A tube of medium Cadmium red (you could also get a cadmium light and dark if monies allow), Phthalo Blue..pretty versatile and is and intense blue which means only need a little mixed with white to create lighter blues, Medium Cadmium Yellow, Titanium white, Black, Burnt Umber which is a warm chocolate brown also very versatile, there is Raw Umber too
which is similar but slightly lighter and cooler. Phthalo Green which is a bright bluish green but mixed with cadmium yellow medium you can get a variety of shades of greens. You could also include Orange and a dark purple, you can mix these but having a tube can sometimes save you time
getting the right color.

I don't know where you are but in most of the online art supply sites they sell beginning sets or smaller sets of acrylic paints. One place that I use a lot is called ASW...generally they're the lowest that I've found in price, like I said don't know where you hail from but here's the site and you can look around and if can be shipped to you shipping costs minimal, one price covers all. Here's the link: http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-art-supplies/acrylic-paints/liquitex/soft-body.html
It'll take you to Liquitex but there are other acrylics sold here as well.
There are also other good supply sites, prices vary, Dick Blick's is a good one too but a tad higher shipping wise, you can shop around where you are as well and compare prices, I'm sure you can get started with 100 dollars.

I'm sure others will have suggestions as to what colors to purchase the ones I listed were just my thoughts to get started fairly cheaply. If you are not familiar with mixing paint at all then good idea to include maybe a little chart from off the web or a book that explains the basics. Finding info on the web or from some of the archived classes here can go along way in information. There are many good things to help you along in the Kiosk..this is one of them that you might want to read through, then just take a look at others that might interest you..http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593436

Lots of info and lots of help here so take advantage of it and you can adjust and apply to what you do.

Have fun, I hope this has helped some, buying colors I find is fairly personal but when on a budget often hard cause you want to try them all and there are so many...haha Personally I'd say don't skimp on buying good brands, better pigmented ones, even if you can only buy one or two at a time it's worth it.

And thank you too sweetie for the nice comment.

Hugs,
Elaine

vgumparthi
11-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Elaine,

Thankyou so much for a detailed reply. I live in Houston. I will go through the link you sent. It looks like a good place to start. Thankyou for all the information. I will let you know what I pick up.

Regards
Viji

WYSIWYG
11-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Good to see another scrapbooker here! :)

I think Elaine nailed it on the head - colour choice can be personal. You can get a lot of versatility out of a small pallete though and mix most colours. Then slowly add in a few more as you develop your preferences. I started out with titanium white, cad red med, cad yellow med, ultramarine blue and black simply because I was told that was a good basic start set.

A few months in I ditched the black and added a burnt sienna, which mixed with the ultramarine makes a lovely chromatic black that I can lean towards the blue or chocolate side of things if I want. Then I subbed out the cad yellow med for a yellow ochre which has a warm glow and is more restrained. I added a chromium oxide green - nothing against pthalo, I just liked the chromiums colour and properties better. If I could get anything else at this point I'd like to get a cobalt, a zinc white and maybe a dioxazine purple as I can get a wide variety of purples but haven't been able to pin that one down in mixing.

WYSIWYG
11-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Golden's site has colour guides and other info that may be useful, although I'm not sure it mightn't be information you're already well familiar with.
http://www.goldenpaints.com/artist/mixguide.php

Einion
11-18-2011, 04:43 AM
Can you please help me figure out which colors should I be buying to start with? I don't want to spend more than $100. I don't know which colors can be achieved by mixing colors.
This is a hugely personal thing, just check out these two threads in Colour Theory & Mixing for the vast array of different palettes members use:
Show us your palette colors and tell us why: 2001-2005 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2494)
Show us your palette colors and tell us why: 2006-present (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511425)

Nearly any palette that includes a yellow, a red and a blue has some merit, but even just using primaries + white the possible choices are very wide and it would take more room than this post would allow just to list those!

You can go for more opaque colours than transparents, all transparent paints (excluding the white), a good mix of both types, include some earths or just bright colours, and so on. The thing to look for eventually is the smallest set of paints that will do the most for you so you get the most bang for your buck.

Initially you're going to have to try some things and see what you like yourself. Some things you try you won't like, but that's the way of it unfortunately.

What are colors which end with the word hues?
Question about Liquitex Hue colors (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948739)
Confusing Hues (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949980)

I would like to get a slow drying medium to do canvas work..and add some texture ...modeling paste is why I was thinking. I have ever used mediums before.
You may need to use both a retarder and a gel medium for both slowing drying and additional texture, although Golden's Open paints and Atelier Interactives are worth considering for their slower drying.

Einion

DonEc
11-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Hi Viji,

Since you are from Houston you should check out...

Jerry's Artarama
12974-A Willowchase Dr
Houston, TX 77070

(832) 237-6070

I shop at the one in Austin and they're prices are good and they are quite helpful.