PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing acrylics

WMCD
11-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Can I use sandpaper (probably a very fine grade) to smooth acrylic paint after it has dried and remove any brushstrokes, like I would with acrylic gesso? Are there any other ways to achieve a smooth surface?

I'm still going to experiment to find out myself, but I thought I would ask others for their opinions and experiences too.

Einion
11-15-2011, 04:21 AM
Yes you can sand acrylic paint but broadly speaking it's not something I'd recommend. Apart from acrylics not sanding that well overall as they're a little soft at room temperature, the dust generated can be an inhalation hazard (where otherwise the paint is quite safe to use). So if you're going ahead do wear a dust mask at least to protect yourself, some kind of respirator if you end up doing this routinely.

The best way to achieve a smooth finish in painting is to apply the paint that way to begin with, since this saves the extra step of sanding and it's less wasteful of paint. Are you looking for a truly smooth, flat surface on your work or just uniform colouring, where there aren't any streaks or other visible irregularities from the application method?

Einion