PDA

View Full Version : Studying Payne's Gray

roy-p
11-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Hi Acrylic Aficionados :wave:

I've used Payne's gray before, but not extensively, so I thought this ref (which I think is from the RIL, I'm not sure) would give me an opportunity to know it more intimately.

I found it to be semi-transparent, and makes opaque grays only when in mixture, as with Titanium White in this case. Used with plain water/medium, you have to use it rather thickly to get opaque coverage. Although you could use it in multiple thin layers to get grades of darkness. I'll have to do a study in mix with other colors as well, and not just white. Thanks so much for looking!

19" x 12", acrylic sketch on canvas paper.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6041/6343681152_f58f5b2647_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/prosenjit_roy2/6343681152/in/photostream)

friesin
11-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Thank your for sharing your experiences, Roy!
I like Payne's Grey because of its slightly blue touch, and I use it quite often, but I do seldom use it as a pure colour.
So I can't tell if it is opaque or rather transparent...

Galina Zastava
11-14-2011, 03:01 PM
I really like your idea of using just Payne's Grey and the result is lovely as well!

Dcam
11-14-2011, 03:45 PM
hey Roy: Great experiment and great painting. I sometimes mix paynes with a little burnt umber to get a rich black. I am picturing your painting with paynes gray and the addition of burnt sienna.....wow, could be a nice warm/cool combo.
Thanks for the experience Roy.

Derek:)

gaykir
11-14-2011, 09:30 PM
This is wonderful!!

WYSIWYG
11-15-2011, 07:26 AM
Love it, Paynes is one of my favorite colours and my sole 'tube colour' concession to an otherwise very basic pallete. You've done a fantastic job, hope we see more of them!

chammi kaiser
11-15-2011, 08:27 AM
I too have a soft spot for Paynes Grey. Fantastic painting just using this colour by the way! I mix it with Liquitex Gloss Medium and glaze it over my darks. This gives the darks a lovely bluish tinge.

roy-p
11-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Oh thanks a lot, guys! Your words are very illuminating - Chammi, Amanda, Gayle, Derek, Galina and Friesin :wave:
@ Friesin - its great you mentioned the blue-ness of Payne's Gray, I forgot to mention that.
@ Derek - absolutely... re. combo with burnt sienna, the painting would come alive! In fact, these are copper vessels, and the picture is in color, so they could be painted just as they are on this blue-black background. I use olive green and/or prussian blue with burnt umber to get my blacks, but I haven't used Payne's as of yet, so I'll keep that in mind.
@ Chammi -"I mix it with Liquitex Gloss Medium and glaze it over my darks." Yess, you said it, I was thinking along similar lines and wondering if I should tone down the white in the flower with a similar glaze.

Thanks everyone, it has been worthwhile with your comments :)

Davkin
11-16-2011, 12:38 AM
This is great, I like limited palettes but haven't gone that far with it! I should do some monochromatic studies myself, you're an inspiration!

David

roy-p
11-18-2011, 03:37 AM
David, apologies for the late response. Thanks so much for the inspiring comment itself :) The more I use color, the more I realize how powerful they really are, and the more subtle one is in its mix and use, the greater the potential for expression there is. Besides, most colors can be mixed from a basic palette and I rue my decision to buy a number of 'exotic' hues, I'll probably never be using those!

Peter J Robichaud
11-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Very nice painting! I often use payne's grey along with Prussian Blue and Titanium White for portraits. It gives a black and white look with a slight blue tinge which I love.

kevinwueste
11-18-2011, 03:45 PM
nice work young man!

-kw

Horse Party Time
11-18-2011, 06:22 PM
very nicely done!

roy-p
11-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Hi Peter, thanks for the kindness and your insightful words. I use Prussian blue a lot, although mostly in a mix with Burnt Umber to get darks and dark grays (with titn. white).

Oh wow, look who's dropped in - what a pleasure! :D Aye, aye Sir K :)

Hi Horse Party Time, thank you!