PDA

View Full Version : pino copy in acrylic

DAK723
11-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Hi Acrylics folks!

I'm rarely over here in this forum, but I hope to get into acrylics a bit more. Been trying out some Golden Open Acrylics and seeing how well I can get along with them. Most of my experience is in pastels along with some usually frustrating efforts in oil!

One of my favorite artists is Pino, and I've done a number of copies of his work for study in oils, but this is the first time I've done a copy in acrylics. I find the quicker drying time of acrylics useful - since in oils I tend to make mud as I am not a particularly organized color mixer! But I wanted to see how well I could blend and create softer edges with the quicker drying acrylics. Even though I was using the Open acrylics, I tend to paint too thinly, thus the paint dried fairly fast anyway!

Here is a link to the original Pino entitled "Evening Out."

http://proxy.baremetal.com/artcountrycanada.com/images/Pino-evening-out.jpg

Since it is a copy, I obviously painted this just for my own practice and can not sell or put this in a show or exhibit. But here it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2011/82335-pino_copy_small.jpg

I did this quickly on a 12" x 9" Gessoboard. There are a few proportional errors that I can see, but I painted this directly without any drawing on the canvas so that is to be expected!

Obviously, compared to the Pino, this looks pretty amateurish, but comments welcome!

Don

calin4thewin
11-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Well 2 things that stand out is that you'd be much closer to the original if you:

- get sharper edges
- use more paint

The 2 are quite connected, as it's impossible to have sharp edges and great contrast where you need it, if the paint film is too thin.

I think in the original the brushes used were larger, compare to the size of the painting, than what you have here. Especially in the background those effects seem to be made with a larger brush, decisive strokes and a lot of paint :)

Gilberte
11-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Your own interpretation ... very well done !
As a woman I however noticed the top of the hat is too small, a slight breeze and oops ... there goes the hat ... lol.
Never mind my comment.

robertsloan2
11-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Excellent copy of a master. I saw the proportion errors once I looked at the Pino, but your painting struck me with a great impact. I love your painterly strokes. You did a good job with this.

I also noticed he did some scratching out, linear elements not really part of the painting that made sparkles on her dress. That'd be tricky in acrylics vs. oils because they're dry between layers instead of staying wet to slash those in with the end of the brush.

Very cool copy of a master! I should copy masters more often too.

DAK723
11-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Calin4thewin, Thanks for the comments. Your observations are correct, but after 30 years of trying to paint with more paint, it never happens that way. I have come to accept that painting thinly is part of my process and I can't seem to do anything about it!

I did try to intentionally see if I could get soft edges with acrylics, so that is another reason for the lack of hard edges. My intent was not to make a "perfect" copy.

Gilberte I noticed the hat was too small on top, too. Let's hope for calm weather! Thanks for your comments.

Robert, Thanks for your comments! Painting with no preliminary drawing or sketching will almost certainly lead to errors, but as practice I think it can have great value. The painting was begun with no lines, just blocking in masses.

Don

calin4thewin
11-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Oh, my bad, when I hear copy in my mind this also means copying the technique that was originally used, but of course there are several meanings to this word :)

Dcam
11-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Don: Hi and so nice to see you here in acrylics. As you know I hang out in pastels quite a lot. I really like your thin applications and they add a softness and almost watercolor effect. Here is something you may already know, but you can apply some liquitex clear gesso or golden fine pumice mix, water and matt medium to a painting like this and have fun with your oils right on top when the medium is dry. I have done this with a few acrylic underpaintings and it works well.
I think your improvisational copy is quite successful.:thumbsup:
All the best, Derek

chammi kaiser
11-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Don. Never mind that the hat is too small. I think the painting is wonderful. I love the soft edges and the romantic feel about this one. I for one, am really looking forward to more of your acrylic work.

DAK723
11-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Thanks, Derek and Chammi for your comments. Hopefully there will be more acrylic paintings on the way!

Don