PDA

View Full Version : PJ: 12/11 - Jaenicke/Color and Deborah Secor's excellent article

japonaise
11-13-2011, 11:49 AM
The December 2011 Pastel Journal is a special event about color. Wonderful! Especially interesting is Deborah Secor's article about Barbara Jaenicke's use of values for pushing color in her work.

Personally, I would like to read more information on the emotional use of color like Ogilvie, Pichette, Liberman, Jacenkiw, Halstead, rather than the more mainstream use of local color with pops of emotion. For me, the prime draw to the medium of pastel is the extraordinary color option. J

sketchZ1ol
11-13-2011, 04:39 PM
hello
i'll have to look up those folks ,
but i think i understand what you are saying about
the intensity of the pigment ,
especially with starter sets , whoever the maker .
> there was a group ' Fauvist ' which was about
out-of-the-tube oils , early 20th century , no ?
> 50's , 60's seriagraphs , lithos had flat
but intense colour saturation for printmaking
for quality volume reproductions
- one artist i met in my youth moved to Europe
to be close to the printer !

there is the issue of iconography and literacy ,
and seems to me to be an open topic ,
> an avenue for personal connection , perhaps .

Ed :}

robertsloan2
11-13-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm looking forward to it. I got my October issue but not the December one yet. I did change my address on my subscriptions though, all three of my magazines are coming here instead of routing through the house I no longer live in.

Deborah Secor
11-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Glad you liked it. :D Barbara was a delight to interview--we had so much to talk about I could have written an article twice as long! I'm sure you've already discovered it, but in case others haven't, do check out her blog (http://barbarajaenicke.blogspot.com/), too. I enjoy seeing her paintings and reading about her classes. Anyone who lives near her should definitely check out her teaching schedule!

sketchZ1ol
11-14-2011, 01:43 PM
hello
i'm wiping egg off my face while eating crow ...
my post was so far off the mark ! :rolleyes:

Deborah , thx for the link - an excellent thing to do .

Ed :}

jackiesimmonds
11-15-2011, 03:44 AM
The December 2011 Pastel Journal is a special event about color. Wonderful! Especially interesting is Deborah Secor's article about Barbara Jaenicke's use of values for pushing color in her work.

Personally, I would like to read more information on the emotional use of color like Ogilvie, Pichette, Liberman, Jacenkiw, Halstead, rather than the more mainstream use of local color with pops of emotion. For me, the prime draw to the medium of pastel is the extraordinary color option. J

Emotional use of colour. So difficult to write about and quantify.

If one says 'red' - the name of color - and there are fifty people listening, it can be expected that there will be fifty reds in their minds. And one can be sure that all these reds will be very different. (Josef Albers)

Drawing is feeling. Color is an act of reason. (Pierre Bonnard)

I love hot red and yet I am always in drab gray clothing. I use green sparingly in my paintings yet a large field of green grass brings tears to my eyes. Still, it all makes sense. It is a love of color and what it does for our lives. (Harley Brown)

I have always painted pictures where human love floods my colors. (Marc Chagall)

-on trying to paint a pale blue sky...
I cannot pretend to be impartial about the colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones, and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. (Winston Churchill)

Full, saturated colours have an emotional significance I want to avoid. (Lucian Freud)

Just a few quotes which I feel are significant.

Also

I have just finished preparing a blog post about the early work of Odilon Redon, and came across this fascinating titbit.
His early life was miserable, he was a very unhappy child and young man. His early works are called his NOIRS, (charcoal and conte pieces some of which you can see on my blog), they are symbolist images, very dark, very wierd, and often very uncomfortable to view. Then, things changed in his life. He had a religious transformation after a serious illness, and suddenly became spiritually uplifted, his work transformed dramatically, he became a wonderful colourist, and never returned to producing Noirs. I would not presume to be able to explain the emotional content of his works, but the shift from his Noirs, to his beautiful colour work, is deeply touching to me.
Here is one of his pastels
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2011/1805-redon_flower_clouds.jpg .

jackiesimmonds
11-15-2011, 04:02 AM
Deborah, sorry, I have not seen your article, so I just picked up on Japonnaise's comment.

sounds like your article was a good one.

J

Devonlass
11-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Deborah, thanks for the link to Barbara's blog.....her work is amazing......I kept going back again and again. I would love to take a workshop with her if I lived closer.

japonaise
11-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Jackie: How fitting that you mention Odilon Redon in this thread. Viewing his work at the Musee D'Orsay was my inspiration to work in pastel. J

robertsloan2
11-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Yay, it's here! Now I can relax and enjoy Deborah's article. Just picked up my December issue on my way back in.