PDA

View Full Version : Sepia Warm Or Otherwise

Irishman
11-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Hi,
Is there a difference between Sepia and Warm Sepia? Any one got preferences for brands? Thanks

virgil carter
11-11-2011, 03:44 PM
I, I really don't use these, but I'm wondering if one could at least find the index numbers and pigments from the manufacturers to get a sense of difference. Are those you are referring to from the same or different paint manaufacturers?

sling paint,
virgil

Mayberry
11-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Warm sepia comes from squid in the tropics! :D Okay, really "sepia" is typically a blend of a black pigment (like lamp black or ivory black) and a brown pigment (like a sienna or an umber). I assume they just put more brown in the warm sepia than the regular sepia, to give it a "warmer" hue. I've also seen a color called Raw Sepia, also consisting of a black pigment and a brown pigment. I don't have any sepia paint myself, preferring to mix my own.

CharM
11-13-2011, 11:34 PM
I have sepia, but don't use it much... it has a slight green bias which would, I suppose, render it as a cool colour.

alansam
11-14-2011, 07:12 AM
I find sepia kills anything I mix with it ,,it is a dirty colour ,,I used it in my working life to overgrain dark oak panels ,before the final varnish .or to shade round panel
edges (doors council chamber paneling ect )
I never use it .

juneto
11-15-2011, 04:15 AM
I love Warm Sepia . I don't usually mix it and it is called for on rare occaisions , but then it is good . Mixed with Red it is Rich in depth.
June :thumbsup: :wave:

Tattau
11-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Sepia works best for me if used in primarily earth tones or monochromatic works, for which it is wonderful! If working with a wider range of colors, however, I'll stay away from it.

Marcio C
11-16-2011, 01:58 PM
I think sepia has a cool bias. It is precisely because it is a duller color that it can be very useful for contrasting purposes... for instance in a still life with shiny objects, you can enhance that effect by using sepia in mixtures in the background or on the surface where the objects stand. It is useful to create street pavement color, or to add grit character to an urban scene.

Irishman
11-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Ah yes,thank you everybody, but if there a difference between Sepia and Warm Sepia or is it a branding thing?

diamondsutra
11-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Irishman ~ Do you know what brand makes warm sepia? Try finding their website with a color chart, go to www.handprint.com and see if you can find the pigment info. I think that they are both dominantly cool pigments, with warm maybe being slightly warmer .. not sure how much of a difference. :x

sashntash
11-23-2011, 10:45 AM
I have watched several DVDs by John Yardley and in them he mentions that Warm Sepia is one of his favorite colors. Knowing that he uses Winsor & Newton watercolors, I went to the W&N website and could not find a Warm Sepia listed in their artist's watercolor line.

so... I emailed them the question.

Their answer was that they used to make Warm Sepia and Sepia but have discontinued making the Warm Sepia that John Yardley loved... sigh.

They recommended taking some Sepia and mixing a touch of their Burnt Sienna in it to duplicate the Warm Sepia color. I tried it.. it works :)

As far as I know, the W&N Burnt Sienna is a little warmer/richer than other Burnt Siennas so it probably would not work with the Burnt Sienna from another brand.

ETA: I don't like Sepia as a color... very flat... very dull... very boring... but the Warm Sepia is a lovely color. John Yardley uses it when painting antique wood furniture pieces in his paintings of interiors of old English homes.

Irishman
11-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks Susan.Having recently become almost infatuated with John Yardley's work,I was wondering how he managed to make Sepia look so good.I know that he dips into to everything on his palette so obviously the Burnt Sienna got a lash with the Sepia.

sashntash
11-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Actually.. no...:)

John Yardley.. in his DVDs and books .. is using W&N's Warm Sepia straight out of the tube. His books and DVDs were made before W&N discontinued it.

I hope, for his sake, he stockpiled a ton of it before it was discontinued as he said it was one of his favorite colors.

Winsor & Newton, in their email reply to me, are the ones who told me to take Sepia and mix a little of their Burnt Sienna into it and I would get essentially the same color as their now discontinued Warm Sepia. That's probably why they discontinued it. It's easy to make and there probably wasn't a lot of demand for Warm Sepia.

I don't know what John Yardley is doing now... he either has a large stash of Warm Sepia or he has to make it out of Sepia and Burnt Sienna now...

It's a shame they don't make it anymore.. it's a beautiful color.

querin
11-24-2011, 06:52 PM
W&N burnt sienna is made from PR101 synthetic iron oxide, some brands call this by other names, it's a beautiful single colour and transparent the other brands the burnt sienna is PBR7 W&N call it Brown ochre which is made from various hues is duller semi transparent to opaque & granulating depending on the brand.The W&N sepia is made from Pr 101 synthetic iron oxide plus black PBK 6 carbon black .I'm about to do a sepia portrait becuse I want transparent colours I will mix the PR101 burnt sienna and make my own transparent black using Pthalo gree PG7 and Quin Red Pr 209 or Perm alizarin both can make a very dark colour quin red is not as staining although Pthalo green is but the latter can be a softer black.They don't make it easy for artist with so many variations with names and codes I always look at the pigment number now regardless at what they are called it gives me a better insight even thought they vary too between brands.OH Well.
querin

alansam
02-01-2012, 05:14 PM
off course ,Daler Rowley and senellier make
dose not seem the same as the old winsor and newton//// like you have said add a little burnt sienna ///handy for a subtle grey as well (with blue)

John Yardleys browns do look great ,.l

dunesage
02-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Yeah...I agree with that; mixing with burnt sienna adds much more warmth. I use sepia in my works but never unmixed. I find...as was said...that it makes for great earth tones where 'grit' is needed...or it is wonderful for defining cracks in old wood when mixed with alizarian crimson and perhaps ultramarine. It also is great when defining really dark, warm leaf undergrowth...mixed with your favorite 'leaf green' mix. I like to drop it into a 'wet area' kind of controlled and sometimes the effect is nice to perceive.

dan

PainterRon
02-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Definition for sepia - Oxford Dictionaries Online (World English)
oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sepia
a brown pigment prepared from a black fluid secreted by cuttlefish, used in monochrome drawing and in watercolours. [ count noun ] a drawing done with sepia ...
Sepia | Define Sepia at Dictionary.com
dictionary.reference.com/browse/sepia
any of several cuttlefish of the genus Sepia, producing a dark fluid used .... is used as a drawing ink and as an artist's watercolour, particularly in monochrome ...
Sepia (color) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepia_(color)
The word sepia is the Latinized form of the Greek σηπία, sēpía, cuttlefish. ... to extract and produce a more concentrated form of sepia for use in watercolors and ...
Painting materials: a short encyclopaedia - Google Books Result
books.google.ca/books?isbn=0486215970...Rutherford John Gettens, George Leslie Stout - 1966 - Art - 333 pages
For sepia preparation the ink sacs are removed from the cuttle-fish, dried, ... with gum arabic and is made into cakes or prepared in tubes for use in water color.