PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use Apple aperture? and caution! re Macs!

equinespirit
11-11-2011, 06:20 AM
Just got a new Macbook to discover that my version of Photoshop doesn't work with the upgraded operating system! :(

I have a few choices :
Buy the new version for 660! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Buy Apple aperture for 60 which I have on free trial atm
Downgrade the computers operating system to the previous version and then install my old version of Photoshop.

Currently option 3 is winning as I had painstakingly learnt a fair bit of stuff on photoshop and am so IT illiterate I can't face learning a new one :o

However its going to take a while to do that so meanwhile Ive been having a look at Apple aperture.
Some of the features are really good but I can't seem to find any colour swatches or an option to take a colour from the photo with eyedropper and then use brushes to paint with the chosen colours?
Am I being thick or isn't it there? :confused:
I also can't find where it gives the image size or crop sizes in dimensions, only pixels?

Thanks in advance and be warned if you are buying a new Mac that Photoshop doesn't work unless its the latest version- oh and you can upgrade for 160 but only if you have the old version on THAT computer! * bangs head on wall*

sketchZ1ol
11-11-2011, 07:55 AM
hello
i'm just guessing , - if the Macbook is new ,
and you've registered it with Apple in your name ,
you would be entitled to tech support from Apple .
- a phone call should get you a decent answer .
> i assume you have the installation disk for
the new and the older OS .
>> there is also Gimp , which may still be a Freeware for
graphic manipulation with Macs .
- check the Web for that .

Ed :}

bnoonan
11-11-2011, 12:35 PM
That sucks.

equinespirit
11-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks Ed, just downloading it now so will see if I can understand it :lol:

Lynndidj
11-11-2011, 01:24 PM
I use a Mac, currently with Snow Leopard, but need to upgrade to Lion. I have both Aperture 2 and PSE 8, and can't use either one because I am so computer illiterate. I desperately need to take some classes but have been caring for sick and dying parents for so long I can never do it. Are you saying PSE 8 won't work with Lion?

Lynn

Kathryn Wilson
11-11-2011, 02:21 PM
When I bought my new laptop, I went with the 64 bit, instead of the 32 bit, thinking I'd be ahead of the game. Alas, my old version of PS would not work -

So, I bought a $100 Photoshop LE and it has all that I need with a lot less frustration.

equinespirit
11-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks Kathryn,
Im trying X11 atm whatever that is :rolleyes: my husband downloaded it for free last night.
It seems to have a lot of functions, just annoying to have to find my way round another system when I would far rather be painting :lol:
Lynn, I think PSE is different? but basically I think the lesson is to always check with the suppliers before upgrading :rolleyes:

Talley
11-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Sarah, that's so annoying. I'm far from experienced in these programs but when I looked at purchasing one I looked at Aperture. It's my understanding that Aperture is more of a professional photo organizing program with some editing unlike Photoshop which is primarily an image editing program. However, for most users Photoshop Elements has all the functions from Photoshop that they need. Check out the list of features on both and see if the ones you use regularly are available in PSE. I think Adobe has been adding more and more to PSE over the years. And the learning curve would be less because it works in similar ways to Photoshop.

For anyone wanting to learn more about using PSE:

I've learned all software on my own using the trial and error method. But PSE defeated me. I kept getting really frustrated. I finally took an online course from ed2go which I found really helpful. These are packaged courses that are offered through the continuing education departments of many colleges and community colleges. The only thing that varies between the schools is the price. I took mine from Piedmont Community College in NC because they charged $65 vs. the $95 my local schools charged. THe course is basic but provides photos for manipulation and then walks you through how to do various things getting increasingly more complicated. Two lessons a week for 6 weeks I think.

Studio-1-F
11-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Here is the word from Adobe (http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/07/photoshop-and-lightroom-compatibility-with-mac-os-x-10-7-lion.html): " . . . versions of Photoshop CS2 and earlier will not be able to run on Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) "

Which is not particularly surprising since Photoshop's current iteration is CS5! The fact that ancient versions of Photoshop are incompatible is sad but not astonishing.

I do agree with Tally that Apple's Aperture appears to be a replacement for iPhoto, which is a pic organizing app, rather than trying to be a photo editing app. That said Aperture does have some editing capacity. See the "Adjustment presets" and the "Precision brushes" sections on this page (http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/07/photoshop-and-lightroom-compatibility-with-mac-os-x-10-7-lion.html).

These tools are dwarfed by what is available in Photoshop. OTOH, if you only need the basics, maybe the tools in Aperture will suffice and spare you the anguish and heartbreak of having to learn a new photo editing app. Let alone the even greater anguish and heartbreak of having to buy it. ;)

Jan

Shirl Parker
11-12-2011, 11:57 AM
The problems between Photoshop and Lion are documented here (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/905/cpsid_90508.html#main_Photoshop). You haven't said, or I missed, what version of Photoshop you have. There are several solutions presented depending on version. Worst case scenario would be having to upgrade to the current version, which would be more like ~123.

I don't know if you use the full capability of Photoshop, but you might want to consider going with Photoshop Elements for Mac. ~50.

equinespirit
11-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks Kate, yes aperture is more normally used for organising although it does have quite a few editing functions.
Jan, the thing is that I hadn't budgeted an extra 600 on top of the 1600 that the new Mac cost.
The old Mac was only about 4 years old and the old photoshop was only a few years old too.
I mean it gets a bit expensive if you have to spend over 2000 every four or five years. :eek:

What infuriates me is that I have no wish to change at all, but unfortunately it seems the computer manufacturers have us over a barrel by producing computers that don't last and tying them in with software that doesn't run on the new ones.

Shirl, you can only upgrade ( according to Adobes own site) if they can detect the old version on your computer that you are upgrading from, so given that the old version won't load on the new Macs you can't upgrade.

Im still playing with the Gimp programme atm which was free and does seem quite good so far.

Shirl Parker
11-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Shirl, you can only upgrade ( according to Adobes own site) if they can detect the old version on your computer that you are upgrading from, so given that the old version won't load on the new Macs you can't upgrade...

I thought about this, and figured if worse came to worse, on your new computer you might have to downgrade to Snow Leopard, install Photoshop on it, and then upgrade back to Lion. What a drag.

Shirl Parker
11-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Or is it worst came to worst??? :lol:

equinespirit
11-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Shirl, yes you're right that is an option too but its quite a lengthy procedure.
Still finding my way round Gimp atm :eek:

On the plus side the new Macbook is rather good :lol:

Shirl Parker
11-12-2011, 04:20 PM
I just bought a new Mac Mini. Core I5, 500GB HD, 4GM Memory. Sweet. Connected it to an HDTV. Great picture. Luckily I installed my old Version 8 of Photoshop Elements without a problem.

fjslightvision
11-12-2011, 06:25 PM
I am running Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 on a new Mac with Lion (OS 10.7) and it is running well. it provides color sampling (eye dropper) and brushes. It was included with the BAMBOO Touchpad and Pen device total price $99. A great combination for drawing, blocking in layouts, and altering photos.

I also use Aperture which is a great program for adjusting, cropping, and filing photos but does not provide layers, sampling or brushes.

Lion also comes with a free utility called Digital Color Meter which will allow you to sample a color, copy it to a clipboard then paste it into a word or other document and type notes.

Lynndidj
11-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Oh thank you fjs - good to know that PSE 8 runs with Lion. I need to upgrade to Lion (my MacBook is a couple of years old) but I haven't even learned how to use the PSE 8 yet, so I don't want to have to buy a new one!!! I also have Aperture - too many programs I don't know how to use.

Lynn

equinespirit
11-13-2011, 02:51 AM
Thanks for the info fjs!

Katherine T
11-14-2011, 08:00 AM
To be honest this is a problem which many people run into when changing computers no matter whether it is PC or Mac.

I really don't think this is a Mac issue per se. Old software frequently does not run with new operating systems - whether PC or MAC. It's just the way it goes - mainly because of the speed at which technology is developing. Think about the changes which have occurred in the last five years!

The cost of an upgrade usually involves upgrading some software too. I've always found it a good idea to check all the software I use on a regular basis and whether it still works on any new system

The same applies to people who want to stick with PCs because they don't want to learn MAC (I am of course referring to my died in the wool other half here!) - not realising that if they are two or three operating programs behind on PCs that
a) a lot of the ways it works are different on the latest system
b) none of their old software is going to work - and the same might also apply to peripherals. When they get the new software they'll also find that the structure and commands are all different. I'm glad to say he (my other half) is now persuaded there's no point in sticking to PCs so he can stay with what's familiar when he gets his new computer next month

I've never felt the slightest inclination to buy the full blown version of Photoshop - too much extra cost for too little added value (when compared to PSE)

I think that there's a good chance that once you've got to grips with what the latest version of Photoshop Elements for Mac can do you might find you don't have a problem at all.

Dot Hoffman
11-15-2011, 05:23 PM
I bought my first Mac in September when my 5 yo Dell died a horrible and total death. I found out the conversion is time consuming, even with help from a guru. I was able to load Windows XP through Parallels, but I know XP is no longer supported, and hesitated to depend on it for long to run my old copy of PSE. SO, on the advice of the people at the Apple store, I downloaded Aperture on a trial basis. I did not find it to be able to do the things I needed with my artwork plus it was not very intuitive, at least for me. So, I got online with Costco and purchased Photoshop Elements 10 (both Mac AND PC in the package) and it's working beautifully on the Mac (Lion) side. Right now Costco has it on sale at $30 off. I paid $79.95 a month or so too soon!!!! I'll have to call them about that ;-). BTW, PSE10 seems easier to me than PSE7 did. Maybe it's just me.

Good luck. I hope you find a good fit.

equinespirit
11-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the info :thumbsup:
I can't get the PSE trial to work for some reason, its downloaded and Ive installed the download assistant but it won't open :confused:

I seem to be finding what I need so far on Gimp atm though so maybe I will just stick with that, not sure yet.

Sorry Katherine, I wasn't intending to slate Macs, I love them and wouldn't change , just a warning to anybody buying a new one to check what software they have/need to buy as this was something of a shock to me.