PDA

View Full Version : Essentials of Painting Water-Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Johannes Instructor
11-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Important news! We have decided to go back to offering free online webinars again. Yes, you are reading correctly! 100% free. The next course will be with the same format I have been using so far but this time it will be:
Essentials of Painting Water!

Here is the link for you to sign up:

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/461425225

Join Johannes Vloothuis, our resident artist, in another exciting and popular liveonline session. Many artists want to know how to paint water convincingly. This3 week course will give you the answers and make it look like the water in yourpaintings moves. Johannes will delve into this extensive and seeminglycomplicated topic and make it easy for you to be able to paint water in all itsforms, such as, water reflections in still and moving water, lakes, rivers andstreams, even rocks or logs under water, to the point that it feels like youcan dip your foot in it or take a swim. (Seascapes and waterfalls to begiven in a future course).

TIME: 1:00 to 3:30 PM EST
DATES: 3 Saturdays from December 3– 17
Fee: Free!

Yorky
11-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Wow! and an early time for us Europeans :clap:

Doug

oCDs01-711
11-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Johannes, not that it matters to me, but will this webinar be taught in oils,:clap: watercolor, :clap: or both? :clap: I like both and use both, but just thought I'd ask. Waiting patiently! :D Thanks.:thumbsup:

Shirley

Pinklady219
11-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Wow this a double treat we get you and for free!! Sherry posted this on Facebook that is where I seen this. Wonderful.:clap:

Johannes Instructor
11-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Johannes, not that it matters to me, but will this webinar be taught in oils,:clap: watercolor, :clap: or both? :clap: I like both and use both, but just thought I'd ask. Waiting patiently! :D Thanks.:thumbsup:

Shirley
Remember that the knowledge is applicable to all mediums. So artists of all mediums get the benefit. However I will demo in watercolor and oil and if time permits in pastel.

Tonalist
11-09-2011, 07:04 PM
this is SO cool!.. just signed up.
woody

Johannes Instructor
11-09-2011, 07:09 PM
this is SO cool!.. just signed up.
woody

Please tell others about this in your art guilds and art organizations.

tennisqueen
11-09-2011, 10:14 PM
I am looking forward to another incredible class and I will spread the word!!!!!
Your student for life!!!!
:clap:

robertsloan2
11-10-2011, 04:12 AM
Johannes, thank you! My budget's not what it was, so this helps me a lot. So excited about the topic of this class too, I love painting water and know I'll improve a lot.

Shirley, I love the cat animation in your signature too. That's so simple and effective.

gardenart
11-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Thank you so much Johannes, this is like a great Christmas gift. Sorry I had to miss the last one on trees due to some surgery. I'll purchase it later.Really looking forward to this one.
Sue

jillmc3
11-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Wow, Johannes, thank you for making this free...I signed up but will miss the first one. Will it be available online later like your other courses?

j r
11-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Johannes, thanks for the essentials of painting water class. With the class being free, can we purchase the class video later? I will be unable to attend most of the classes. I really enjoy your classes.

pastelmimigt
11-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Yes - thank you!!

Fiestyone
11-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Yippee, Yahoo, Wow!!!!!! I'm so excited... Like another said what a nice Christmas present.

I really, really, hope this is taped because I will be in the hospital on the 3rd having surgery...that is the only thing that would keep me from class with Johannes.

Don't worry, it is a good thing and I will be better than new after my surgery... I've been waiting a long time for this.

I am signing up now......

See you Saturday....:wave:

crazywoman53
11-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Wow... this is wonderful! I just signed up too and will definitely share the info. Hard to believe it's been almost a year you started these webinars. Last Dec. I was hanging in there every night of the week with you and still hungry for more. It's been a great year!

Wetpaint0938
11-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Thank you for the Water class that is So generous of you I'm a newbie but love what I have learned in the tree Classes .

carol_lee
11-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Just happened to drop in...
This is GREAT!!! Time and day for here perfect 8PM.... won't have to get up at 1AM/2AM :lol:

PS sent a post to my art workshop friends ... language barrier for some but seeing overcomes that .....

Johannes Instructor
11-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Wow, Johannes, thank you for making this free...I signed up but will miss the first one. Will it be available online later like your other courses?
Yes, there will be a an option to purchase the recordings.

Johannes Instructor
11-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Johannes, thanks for the essentials of painting water class. With the class being free, can we purchase the class video later? I will be unable to attend most of the classes. I really enjoy your classes.

Yes, the recordings will be available for a very reasonable price.

Dharma_bum
11-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Will they be available as quickly as in the current tree course, as opposed to the big course last year? I hope so. I signed up last night.

Dan

rib00
11-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Johannes,

Thanks for all you've done over the past year with the Webinars. They have been fantastic.

I have a modest proposal for the December class. Will you upload videos of the classes for viewing later? I think it would be a good idea because in holiday season people's schedule may be busier than usual. Even if you just make them available while the class is running, I think it would help.

I'd suggest you post the raw video as recorded as soon as possible. I realize that editing takes time, but that can be done later as you have time. I think the goal would be to get them up within 24 hours so folks have time to view them (on Sunday) and get to the homework.

You can replace the raw video with the edited when they are done.

With the Trees Class, the edited videos have taken in some cases until Wednesday leaving only Thursday and Friday to view them and get the homework done.

That's my modest proposal. Thanks again for your efforts.

Bill

dljaques
11-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Remember that the knowledge is applicable to all mediums. So artists of all mediums get the benefit. However I will demo in watercolor and oil and if time permits in pastel.
Thank you Johannes for demo in watercolor.

Johannes Instructor
11-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Will they be available as quickly as in the current tree course, as opposed to the big course last year? I hope so. I signed up last night.

Dan
I will submit the videos a couple of days after class. They will need to be posted for sale which means they go thru the Northlight shop and not Sarah who posts these recordings right away. The idea is that you can catch up on lost classes so I will do my best to get them up as soon as possible.

Johannes Instructor
11-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Lesson 4 (2 parts) of the course, "Essentials of Painting Trees" is now posted in the student access page where you can see the streaming recorded videos of last week's class.
The link is:
http://www.artistsnetwork.com/uncategorized/essentials-of-painting-trees-wetcanvas-live-with-johannes-vloothuis

sherrysherman
11-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Johannes,

Thanks for all you've done over the past year with the Webinars. They have been fantastic.

I have a modest proposal for the December class. Will you upload videos of the classes for viewing later? I think it would be a good idea because in holiday season people's schedule may be busier than usual. Even if you just make them available while the class is running, I think it would help.

I'd suggest you post the raw video as recorded as soon as possible. I realize that editing takes time, but that can be done later as you have time. I think the goal would be to get them up within 24 hours so folks have time to view them (on Sunday) and get to the homework.

You can replace the raw video with the edited when they are done.

With the Trees Class, the edited videos have taken in some cases until Wednesday leaving only Thursday and Friday to view them and get the homework done.

That's my modest proposal. Thanks again for your efforts.

Bill

Bill, I can't really speak for Johannes and North Light, but my sense is that they can get the streaming video (NOT a download) up pretty quickly - although not as fast as you would like, I know. That would be the trees, mountains, buildings courses. For those, if you recall, we paid for the online course and get to watch the streaming video if we miss a class.

BUT it's going to be different for water, more like the long course. FREE, but no streaming video. Just a later purchase and download option. it takes longer when Johannes has to submit them to F&W, they do something with them - whether it's further editing or something else time-consuming, I don't know - and finally they make them available thru North Light for purchase and download. With the long course, it took many weeks before they were available for purchase. They've now made the mountains and buildings courses available for purchase and download, and it seemed to be a little faster than the long course. We don't know if they've improved the process further or not, and I'd guess Johannes doesn't know either. He gets the recording to F&W pretty fast, but then it gets stuck in process. This whole thing is pretty new for F&W, and they're probably trying to figure out how to make it all work so that students are happy AND sales are made. :)

Another thing we don't know is whether North Light (F&W) will be selling the classes individually (the long course is available in 2-day weekend chunks) or as a single 3-class series. I would predict a single price for the entire water series; that's a pretty short series. If they sell them as a series, I doubt they'll have each one available soon after the class.

Again, I don't know what will happen - just my prediction: Watch it live OR be ready to wait. :)

rib00
11-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the reply, Sherry. I thought posting the unedited videos would help me and others at a busy time of the year. Saturday is prime shopping time.

Of course, I had the idea first and then learned of the free classes and realize now that it throws a curve into the picture. And, it will be different than the "Trees" and other classes.

I hope all involved will consider my proposal to post the unedited videos asap the next time there is a charge for the class and we are able to view them online. Thanks for your efforts in making these happen.

Bill

mickisew
11-12-2011, 10:44 AM
I agree with Bill. After reading the comments on last week's class in the WC thread, I was really anxious to view the video as it was the first class I missed this year. Not only was the notice of the upload in my email late Wednesday night, the edited version loses the flavor of the class interaction and Jo's comments. Possibly we can be given the option on a paid class to watch either the unedited version asap or the edited version when available. Personally, I would rather have watched five or six hours of the unedited version on Saturday night or Sunday than rushing to watch three plus hours Thursday and Friday night.

Micki

sherrysherman
11-12-2011, 11:25 AM
I agree with Bill. After reading the comments on last week's class in the WC thread, I was really anxious to view the video as it was the first class I missed this year. Not only was the notice of the upload in my email late Wednesday night, the edited version loses the flavor of the class interaction and Jo's comments. Possibly we can be given the option on a paid class to watch either the unedited version asap or the edited version when available. Personally, I would rather have watched five or six hours of the unedited version on Saturday night or Sunday than rushing to watch three plus hours Thursday and Friday night.

Micki

Micki, I'm not sure what you mean, you missed the flavor of the class interaction and Jo's comments. Of course, you do know we can't see any of each other's comments at any time, unless the moderator answers and decides to share them with all, right? You mean the time he spent with us AFTER class, chatting, answering questions, commenting on other artists' work? That was fun and informative, but I think J feels uncomfortable with some of that recorded and posted. He tries not to cover anything that should be in the formal class. He tells Judy to stop recording, and then ... just keeps going. :) (I look at it as kind of like a reward for hanging in there, skipping meals, family time, sleep.... :) Only 70+ stayed till the bitter, I mean better, end.)

It's probably all moot for Water, anyhow, since that won't be streaming and I'm sure won't be fast. I remember in the long course, expecting the classes to be available for purchase pretty quick, so I could buy and watch any I missed before the next class, and then having to wait weeks and weeks for them (rather impatiently, I might add).

mickisew
11-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Sherry:

The time lag factor is primary.

Just as an example on the other issue, I purchased the Landscapes from Photos course. I did attend all the classes. In viewing (only on class one), the edited version is a good instructional DVD but not like being there. Of course, this was a free course in the beginning.

When you view the edited version, as I did class four of Trees, it is great as an instructional video. You just don't have the loose, friendly part - the spontaneity of Johannes. Does that make sense?

Micki

sherrysherman
11-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Sherry:

The time lag factor is primary.

Yeah, this issue was really disappointing in the Landscapes from Photos course (that's the one I referred to as "the long course.") I haven't been as troubled by the shorter, streaming video courses.... but then, I haven't tried to squeeze in a quick viewing before the following class; that could be a challenge.

Just as an example on the other issue, I purchased the Landscapes from Photos course. I did attend all the classes. In viewing (only on class one), the edited version is a good instructional DVD but not like being there. Of course, this was a free course in the beginning.

When you view the edited version, as I did class four of Trees, it is great as an instructional video. You just don't have the loose, friendly part - the spontaneity of Johannes. Does that make sense?

I guess I haven't noticed that-- but then, I haven't sat down and watched a streaming video start to finish. I usually just review parts of it. You're saying that somehow they've edited that out throughout the "class" portion of the session? I wouldn't have thought that was possible. (Is Johannes really editable?? :) I don't think they even record his chat that occurs before class, during the break, and after class officially ends.)

mickisew
11-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Johannes editable? ROF Near the end of Lesson 1 on Landscapes from Photos and it is almost time for class. My favorite time of the week. I am selfish - want to hear everything Jo has to say. :-)

sherrysherman
11-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Johannes editable? ROF Near the end of Lesson 1 on Landscapes from Photos and it is almost time for class. My favorite time of the week. I am selfish - want to hear everything Jo has to say. :-)

Micki, I am in the room right now, listening. I love his pre-class chat, he's just friendly and fun. It's funny when he's talking right to you and you're answering via typing. You get used to it, eh?

bernape
11-12-2011, 01:40 PM
This is great can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

mickisew
11-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Sherry: It seems I can't get enough of Johannes! I have only been painting since 2008; however, I wish Jo would have been my instructor from the onset. I would not have made so many mistakes. Better late than never.

sherrysherman
11-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Sherry: It seems I can't get enough of Johannes! I have only been painting since 2008; however, I wish Jo would have been my instructor from the onset. I would not have made so many mistakes. Better late than never.

Boy, me too! So clear, so much info, such good understanding of what works and what doesn't. He has spend so many hours and hours analyzing paintings, talking with the artists, and so on, and he is just passing those on to us. amazing.

I found out about him late last year on FB - right AFTER he finished his free informal sessions (in December, he was using a free trial GoToMeeting account, just to see if the format would work). Based on his sessions, someone -- I think Robert Sloan -- had started a Johannes Vloothuis Landscape FB group. Someone said something there about Wet Canvas discussions. So I went to WC, found the thread, then from that the first thread which was one about Clyde Aspevig, then the discussion threads, critique threads ...... I started to read every one of these threads, was amazed at how much I was learning, even posted something for his advice, loved what he said, started participating more... Then he started posting about a more formal class with F&W, and I haven't missed anything since then. :)

Artglo
11-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Thank you, thank you. I joined W.C. last year and soon after that took the Landscape from Photos class, it was so great (and free) that I knew I wanted more. I took the next class and now am taking the Trees class. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have the information that Johannes is so willing to pass along. His candor is so refreshing. He isn't afraid to share what he knows. I agree that the before and after class chats are great, a bonus, but I can't always start early or end late and that is unfortunate and yes I wouldn't mind getting the unedited video but if I can't I still will enjoy what I do get. Thank you.

mickisew
11-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Sherry: I joined WC in 2008 - mostly for the ref library. I don't know how I missed the class last year; however, a fellow painter mentioned there was an announcement in the WC Newsletter about a class on landscapes, and a free one at that. Well, I was hooked and have not missed a class since. Being unable to attend classes outside the home, I have taken several workshops online. Some of the online classes were informative; others were a disappointment. Johannes is A+++ as an instructor - I can't say enough nice things. The amount of time he spends with us and preparing for class surpasses what one might expect from an online class. Even the classes for which we pay, the fee is reasonable for most if not all to attend. I so appreciate Jo - and I hope he knows how we feel. I think so.

Johannes Instructor
11-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Thank you so much for your kind comments.

Sallyabc
11-13-2011, 10:50 PM
I have come along way since I started taking your classes last December. I dd not consider myself an artist but today I am teaching it. Still staving for your knowledge. Thanks

Johannes Instructor
11-14-2011, 07:17 AM
I have come along way since I started taking your classes last December. I dd not consider myself an artist but today I am teaching it. Still staving for your knowledge. Thanks
Wow that's a testimony alright. This and a hot cup of coffee got my morning going.

wetbob
11-15-2011, 11:29 AM
This time i will make my homework. Great opportunity for me Johannes! Thnx many times

artisticjc
11-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Johannes, thank you so much. Just signed up and even though we aren't finished with trees yet, I'm already excited about this next class on water. Appreciate it being "free." Looking forward to bringing this year to a close with yet another wonderful class. My head is packed with more instruction from you in one year than I have gotten in the last 20 years! Joanne

tennisqueen
11-16-2011, 08:37 AM
I am so grateful to have found Johannes, and I, truly am his student for life. I have not missed any of his classes. He is an exceptional teacher, and feel very lucky to be a part of this. Looking forward to this next class :clap:

Johannes Instructor
11-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Johannes, thank you so much. Just signed up and even though we aren't finished with trees yet, I'm already excited about this next class on water. Appreciate it being "free." Looking forward to bringing this year to a close with yet another wonderful class. My head is packed with more instruction from you in one year than I have gotten in the last 20 years! Joanne
You know you have access to the previous recorded classes right?

Johannes Instructor
11-16-2011, 09:49 AM
I am so grateful to have found Johannes, and I, truly am his student for life. I have not missed any of his classes. He is an exceptional teacher, and feel very lucky to be a part of this. Looking forward to this next class :clap:
I am honored to have you as a student.

Johannes Instructor
11-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Here is the outline of what you will learn in the Essentials of Painting Water course".

Outline for Essentials of Painting Water

Handling values and color saturation in water.
How to paint still water.
How to paint water in movement.
How to handle foam and limiting its white.
Establishing color harmony in water in shadow.
How to use water lines for visual lead-ins.
How to paint rocks under water.
How to paint ice.

Ruth04
11-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Johannes

You have the "Gift" to teach. This will be another extraordinary webinar, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.

Mirsa.

Tonalist
11-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Whoa!! Johannes.. that outline sounds very good. I agree with mirsa in the above post.. you have a "Gift" to teach. I'm loving the tree course.. have about half of the "BIG" course.. just starting the third session in that and excited for your water course.

In your course line up.. do you have plans for a "Painting of skies" ?

Again.. thank you..

woody

Johannes Instructor
11-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Whoa!! Johannes.. that outline sounds very good. I agree with mirsa in the above post.. you have a "Gift" to teach. I'm loving the tree course.. have about half of the "BIG" course.. just starting the third session in that and excited for your water course.

In your course line up.. do you have plans for a "Painting of skies" ?

Again.. thank you..

woody
Yes, Essentials of Painting Skies will given early next year.

Obion
11-17-2011, 05:15 PM
:clap: Thank you so much Johannes, looking at my painting I now see so many areas that I have correct, have learnt so much from you, it’s been a fantastic journey with your classes and easy to follow…

My 3 son’s now call me an artist (not quite sure about that yet) and they would now like to hang them up. HAHA Before your classes no way…

I have registered and looking forward to the water classes…

Sorry I missed last Saturdays class. Is the final painting by Johannes shown on wet-canvas anywhere… ~ Barbara

I agree with Mirsa you have the 'GIFT' to teach...

Amandine
11-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Here is the outline of what you will learn in the Essentials of Painting Water course". ... ...

WOW WOW WOW. I wouldn't miss this course for anything. I'd love to paint water in an exquisite way (had some trials but result is so so, specially reflections :( ) and after viewing the painting WC is using for its e-mail ad, I just hope 3 weeks will be enough for us to improve with this theme. :crossfingers:

raxu
11-18-2011, 10:47 AM
I have said this before, yet I need to say it again: Johannes, you are a blessing (and a golden nugget as well!) for us hobby artists (wannabe artists), and surely for those real ones, too. I missed your buildings and mountains classes, as I was moving from one country to another. Great to have the opportunity to buy those recodrings though. Landscape and trees classes have been superb! Looking forward to what you tell us about water, and skies... underwater coming as well :)?

Nahant
11-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks so much, Jo. I regret that I have had to miss the trees course for family reasons, but thrived on the "Long Course," Mountains, Buildings and will get caught up on Trees. I was thrilled to check into WetCanvas Live! today and see the Water Course announcement. I am very grateful for your instruction and look forward to having you back in my life again!
Betty

starface bird
11-19-2011, 06:46 PM
YES! YES! YES!!!
thank you thank you thank you
totally addicted now, Jo :)

pastelmimigt
11-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Is this class still open?

Michele

Tonalist
11-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Michele.. I sure it is still open.. the very first post in this
thread by Johannes, has the link to register.

woody

Johannes Instructor
11-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Michele.. I sure it is still open.. the very first post in this
thread by Johannes, has the link to register.

woody

You can register for the upcoming course here:

Join Johannes Vloothuis (http://improvemypaintings.com/gallery.html), our resident artist, in another exciting and popular live online session. Many artists want to know how to paint water convincingly. This 3 week course will give you the answers and make it look like the water in your paintings moves. Johannes will delve into this extensive and seemingly complicated topic and make it easy for you to be able to paint water in all its forms, such as, water reflections in still and moving water, lakes, rivers and streams, even rocks or logs under water, to the point that it feels like you can dip your foot in it or take a swim. (Seascapes and waterfalls to be given in a future course). Learn more about Johannes Vloothuis and view his work here. (http://improvemypaintings.com/gallery.html)
Dates | Saturday, December 3, 2011- Saturday, December 17, 2011. Time | 1:00PM-3:30PM EST
Cost | FREE

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/461425225

Johannes Instructor
11-22-2011, 08:08 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2011/135220-V6506.jpg

The Essentials of Painting Mountains complete course is now available for purchase and permanent download on your computer. Click this link to get it:

http://www.linkconnector.com/traffic...ownloads-v6506

Price: $39.99 ( before 10% discount )
Aprox. 8 hours 45 mins
Type in WCLIVE where it says Apply Code to get 10% off.

oCDs01-711
11-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Johannes,

Thanks for your stimulating and inspirational classes! I have longed to take live classes for several years since I've retired. Finally I found an artist who teaches (notice I did not say artist-teacher) and lives nearby. For the stimulation, I attend the classes, but I can honestly say I have not received the same level of instruction as I've received from you. I will stick with you as a permanent instructor. I appreciate your willingness to share "little nugguts." Many artists who teach must be very insecure not to give extra treasures that they have found through their careers.

I am a retired teacher and I appreciate your loving concern and the excellent manner in which you teach. Thank you.

Shirley:wave:

Johannes Instructor
11-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Johannes,

Thanks for your stimulating and inspirational classes! I have longed to take live classes for several years since I've retired. Finally I found an artist who teaches (notice I did not say artist-teacher) and lives nearby. For the stimulation, I attend the classes, but I can honestly say I have not received the same level of instruction as I've received from you. I will stick with you as a permanent instructor. I appreciate your willingness to share "little nugguts." Many artists who teach must be very insecure not to give extra treasures that they have found through their careers.

I am a retired teacher and I appreciate your loving concern and the excellent manner in which you teach. Thank you.

Shirley:wave:
I am honored by your comments and will do what I can so you become a better artist.

Vida Evenson
11-26-2011, 03:32 AM
Is it Dec 3rd yet???

HazelP
11-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Is it Dec 3rd yet???

7 more sleeps Vida:(

We're all getting withdrawal symptons Jo!!

Johannes Instructor
11-26-2011, 02:38 PM
You guys are so sweet!

sylvia
11-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Hi Johannes, I've registered for "essentials of painting water" and so pleased to be back with you and your lesson plans. I will miss the first week (my first Great Grandchilds first birthday!) so will I be able to get the lesson on tape? Phyllis

Johannes Instructor
11-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi Johannes, I've registered for "essentials of painting water" and so pleased to be back with you and your lesson plans. I will miss the first week (my first Great Grandchilds first birthday!) so will I be able to get the lesson on tape? Phyllis
yes

carol_lee
11-29-2011, 12:24 AM
Counting the days!!!!

nougat
11-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Yes, Essentials of Painting Skies will given early next year.
oooh great!! i looove clouds!!!
it just occurred to me that 'skies' will be something that ALL of us will know from experience. i mean that - not all of us have mountains where we live, particular trees may differ, even water - some have sea others maybe lakes or rivers...but we all have SKY!!! :)

nougat
11-29-2011, 11:54 PM
gee!! just noticed that this month i've been a WC member for 9 years!!!

chalet_dor
11-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Johannes

I am new to your classes. Have signed up for the Essentials of Painting Water.

Give me a link to find out what supplys I need for this Saturday's course etc.

Also please give me a link to where I can purchases your classes on trees.
I am all excited...........a would be want to be artist. . . Dorian

Johannes Instructor
11-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Johannes

I am new to your classes. Have signed up for the Essentials of Painting Water.

Give me a link to find out what supplys I need for this Saturday's course etc.

Also please give me a link to where I can purchases your classes on trees.
I am all excited...........a would be want to be artist. . . Dorian
The first class will be a lecture on what you need to know about water reflections. The other two classes I will be doing painting demos. Some students like to follow. Most of them just sit and watch while taking notes to learn techniques that they can put into practice later. It is not necessary to buy new supplies. You can use the ones you are comfortable with if you intend to paint along with me.

chalet_dor
11-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks for replying:thumbsup:

Also please give me a link to where I can purchases your video classes on trees.

Dorian

Improv
11-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks for replying:thumbsup:

Also please give me a link to where I can purchases your video classes on trees.

Dorian

Hi Dor, if you go to Johannes's web sit called Improve My Paintings, this page points you to all the available videos:

http://improvemypaintings.com/recorded%20classes.html

I'm pretty sure that the trees videos aren't available yet, but when they are, that link will have them. Hope that helps.

Cheers

Doug

chalet_dor
11-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks so much for the link....

Dorian:clap:

pixieartist
12-03-2011, 03:39 AM
Johannes, Hi, I am really looking forward to the classes on water. Years ago, I asked my Dad to stop the boat so that I could take a picture of the water. Each small section of reflection of the mountains/sky on the lake looked to have several colors. He did stop etc etc and when I got the photos developed, most of what I had seen were still there, but the exhilaration of actually seeing the water was missing. ???? Not sure if that explains what I mean, but....!!!!! I tried to paint the lake a few days after a fire had started about 30 miles south of where we camped every year. I knew what color I wanted, but couldn't figure out how to make that light gray color that was reflected off the sky onto the lake. Weeks later, back home here, I was 'doing my husband's job' when out of the blue, I thought about the complement colors that were used to make grays!!!! An AH-AH moment for sure. The yellowy color of my lake was soon to be transformed to gray by adding purple wash(es). Overall, the painting was a good experiment, however, I sure could have used all the info you have been teaching us since last Jan. (Feb for me). Anyway, waiting patiently for tomorrow's class on water, so until then...Pixieartist!!!

dddiam
12-03-2011, 05:52 AM
What palette of colors will you be using for the Essentials of Painting Water course?

Johannes Instructor
12-03-2011, 08:45 AM
What palette of colors will you be using for the Essentials of Painting Water course?

http://improvemypaintings.com/FAQ.html

Eddypus1
12-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Hi Johannes, can,t wait for today's class. Did you post a syllabus of the topics you will cover in your classes?

coffeecup12
12-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Very excited about today's class! This is the first time I have participated in any art instruction class online. Thanks for making it available.

ZanBarrage
12-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Looking forward to it!

Tonalist
12-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Yep.. I'm stoked myself !

woody

Johannes Instructor
12-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Hi Johannes, can,t wait for today's class. Did you post a syllabus of the topics you will cover in your classes?
The syllabus is in this thread earlier.

arp8nter
12-03-2011, 12:48 PM
I hear Johannes but only have a still title page for viewing. What is wrong?

Rosemarie
12-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Close the browser if you have entered GoToMeeting.

dcroy1
12-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Can't log on to webinare via email link....
Any suggestions....says there is a problem with the website!

karan55
12-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Can't log on to webinare via email link....
Any suggestions....says there is a problem with the website!

I am getting same problem.

Joan T
12-03-2011, 12:58 PM
I can't log on either.

Obion
12-03-2011, 01:03 PM
I cant log in either, saying room is full

Barbara

Joan T
12-03-2011, 01:11 PM
When I put in the password I was given, I got the class on painting mountains, not on painting water. Maybe I will have more luck with the next session.

Sienna black
12-03-2011, 01:14 PM
I can't get on, it's full. I am so not pleased!

BGorski
12-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Ahhh, what a difference offering it for free makes!! 10 minutes after the start and session is already full accordint to Citrix. Oh well, I'll be waiting to see the tape of the sessions.

Good luck Maestro! Stay blest, as you are.

bob g

jmcedeno
12-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Same here, can't log in .I'll keep trying.

hollyga
12-03-2011, 01:16 PM
I was logged on at about 12:15 and was on line with the webinar during the pre-chat stuff, but got logged off or disconnected or - or - or - and now I can't get back in. I've been trying for about 20 minutes. Any instructions?

maryinasia
12-03-2011, 01:17 PM
no picture, just lecture... took the advice, rebooted, now class is full and I can't even hear

Julia Hacker
12-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Hi,arranged my kids etc.. i was sooo looking forward,but i can not get connected becouse it says its full. i sign for it weeks ago. Very sad:confused:
Julia H.

wetbob
12-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Same here, can't log in .I'll keep trying.

I guess there s a limitted viewers for areas
for example 300 for canada

pagnes
12-03-2011, 01:25 PM
I've signed up, but I can't get in, session is full. will be there a registered version?

vac911
12-03-2011, 01:36 PM
I signed up several days ago also and cannot get in.

vapsman88
12-03-2011, 01:43 PM
I also cant get back in, I was unable to see his desktop and had to restart.

I think maybe they should charge a minimal fee to insure the serious students can get in.

~John

Oilpainter1
12-03-2011, 01:43 PM
I was so disappointed that I could not join this painting water webinar as I registered before Thanksgiving for it. I tried to join the webinar right at 10:00 Pst (my west coast start time) and it was already full. Perhaps there could be a way to guarantee a place for those who registered in order of registration or at least not over register people that can fit in the go to meeting site. Hope the recording will be available right away to those registered so I can view it and be caught up before the next class next Sat. Thank You!

wetbob
12-03-2011, 01:45 PM
I've signed up, but I can't get in, session is full. will be there a registered version?

keep logging in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

musevisit
12-03-2011, 01:45 PM
I was logged on and lost the connection and when i logged on again -- i had message that class was full....but i had already started the class...so disappointing...

Sgourlayart
12-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Same for me as everyone else who just posted. Signed up but could not get in. I will not EVER sign up for a freebie like this again, but will wait until it's published to buy it! Very disappointed and suggest you go back to paying for the online class model next time since you were oversold and have disappointed a lot of your established and new students. I have bought everyone of these courses offered for sale and I am patient enough to wait but not to be shut out like this.

HazelP
12-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Try again now Stu. Some may have dropped out during the break.

BGorski
12-03-2011, 02:37 PM
35 minutes after the hour, and session still full. Must be a good session. I will be looking forward to the tape about midweek(I hope).

Sgourlayart
12-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks Hazel but no go. Guess what Bob, no midweek tape; that's for the pay sessions. You will have to wait a few months and then buy the whole thing with no preview. Suggest you Email WetCanvas, Jo and F&W Media. I suspect this was F&W Medias idea to bring in more revenue. Jo's classes are always worth the money and this was kind of a stupid ploy. Just my opinion since I'm a little disgruntled.

tulabula
12-03-2011, 04:08 PM
I am disgruntled also! I signed up the first day they offered it, got up at 6 am this morn to be ready to be part of it (way early for me) and was not able to get in. Why register people for it if it is a first come first serve basis? I am very disappointed!

Yabut
12-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Sorry to see so many people didn't get in. I was busy (it's that time of year, you know) and came in late. I held my breath thinking there was no way I'd get in there, but had no trouble at all. The only time I heard Jo mention the numbers in the room he said 976, so honestly people, do not give up as some do log off after a while. Johannes repeats himself frequently, so that things will hopefully sink in, so even if you do arrive late, you will still get an awful lot of information.

Another great session Johannes. Thanks so much for offering this one for free. With all the added Christmas expenses, I'm sure that's the only way I would have been able to register this time. :clap:

lustone
12-03-2011, 04:59 PM
I was able to get in around an hour late. It took me at least 10 tries, but I finally made it and loved every minute of what I saw. Joe, you have taught me so much. I will be forever grateful. I will buy every class you offer. Can't wait for next week.
PS I have seen Matt Smith's work in person and the photos online just don't do it justice. I assume that is the same for Aspevig and Vloothuis too.

sapphirelynn
12-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Hi all I got in early but made some mistake and was not able to access the chat line, does anyone know what I did wrong??? Another fantastic session. Jo You are such an informative teacher, and as I keep watching more of your classes your principals are SINKING in. Thank you from the bottom of my heart....Linda:clap:

ArtistKate
12-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi All! This is the required second post needed before I can post an image.

After participating in all of Johannes' classes this whole year of 2011 and downloading most of them, here I am finally attempting posts to WetCanvas.

As usual, Jo, a great class! Again, I'm fondest of your gazillion ways of describing an art concept: e.g. ping pong balls v. billiard balls= instant recognition of what you mean! (Of course producing it on the paper may be a more difficult matter!:--)

Next post, an image on the Critiques thread, I hope. ArtistKate

tedzart
12-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Dear Johannes:
Today was absolutely fantastic. Thank you so very much for your commitment to sharing your knowledge and skills with us. You are a truly amazing teacher. I am sorry that a number of people did not get in. It would be wonderful if you could accept more. I don't know how that can happen but hopefully it can be worked out.
I will post a water painting with my critique. Your comments are always appreciated.
Good to be back in your classes again. My plein air travel season was in conflict with most of your spring and fall classes. My fall class with Matt Smith was awesome.
Thank you again and I am hoping to get in next Saturday.
Teddy

tulabula
12-03-2011, 05:14 PM
I do have to say although I was very disappointed at not getting in today I will be back next week to try again. I am just sad that I missed this week, I really need it! I am a beginner and I live in rural Alaska and this is my only chance for any kind of class. I will try again!

Johannes Instructor
12-03-2011, 05:53 PM
I am truly sorry that some of you were left out on today's webinar. It was an important presentation because water is so common in paintings. F&W Media rents the software from Citrix. I called Citrix to see if there was an upgrade to accomodate more people. They said they only can host up to 1000 people at the same time. We did not block you from coming in. Their program did. You know I would I would love to have you all. We were overbooked so I sent an email this morning notifying you all that I would open 30 min early and it was first come first serve basis. It took 25 min to fill. Next two classes however should not be a problem because I will use a different system that will allow everyone to watch. I will email you and post the link to that next week.

Tonalist
12-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Johannes... Great seminar again.. thank you so much.

Besides the seminar, the browsing of artist web pages, after the seminar was over and seeing that those artist had done exactly as you were teaching was really worth while..
thanks again
woody

Johannes Instructor
12-03-2011, 05:56 PM
When I put in the password I was given, I got the class on painting mountains, not on painting water. Maybe I will have more luck with the next session.
It wasn't about luck. You used the wrong link.

Sgourlayart
12-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Jo, will you be able to post either your PDF file or the streaming video from today that those of us who could not get in can go over? Or will F&W Media not allow that? Overbooking is for airlines and not art courses! I will register my discontent with F&W Media. Stu

Johannes Instructor
12-03-2011, 06:00 PM
I guess there s a limitted viewers for areas
for example 300 for canada
The limitation was 1000. We are booked more than double. There will be no problem next week though.

Johannes Instructor
12-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Jo, will you be able to post either your PDF file or the streaming video from today that those of us who could not get in can go over? Or will F&W Media not allow that? Overbooking is for airlines and not art courses! I will register my discontent with F&W Media. Stu
No streaming video this time. The perk is the course is free but to get a permanent copy it will be offered on Northlight for a decent price.

Sgourlayart
12-03-2011, 06:20 PM
A free course that you can't get into is worth less than you pay for it. Can you please post your PowerPoint slides as a PDF so that if we get into the demos the next 2 weeks we will have some references from the first week as a guide? If not, it's probably less frustrating just to wait the usual 2-3 months for NorthLight to publish the course. Thanks. Stu

Wetpaint0938
12-03-2011, 06:22 PM
THANKS SO much this was SUPER fantastic. Only I lost connection and couldn't get back in again DARN missed the last 1/3rd What a wonderful gift you gave us today Barb S

Wetpaint0938
12-03-2011, 06:32 PM
THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR GIFT Did get to see part of it ..before getting the boot and then full...

Johannes Instructor
12-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Some of you are asking me where to buy the previous classes I have given and the books I recommend.

For the past recorded classes:
http://improvemypaintings.com/recorded%20classes.html (http://improvemypaintings.com/recorded%20classes.html)

For book recommendations follow this link:
http://improvemypaintings.com/recommended%20books.html (http://improvemypaintings.com/recommended%20books.html)

I added two new books at the end of the list. One of them is useful for examples of water. The artist does a pretty good job at water.

Obion
12-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Hi Johannes, I'm sorry I missed to-days class as I was not able to log in either, would it be possible to email us the first part of the WATER session - Was there any homework?
~Barbara Whitham

Johannes Instructor
12-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Hi Johannes, I'm sorry I missed to-days class as I was not able to log in either, would it be possible to email us the first part of the WATER session - Was there any homework?
~Barbara Whitham
Please check the homework section

Laree
12-03-2011, 08:24 PM
I attending the first session today and it was great!! Can't wait until next week when we get to see some demos.

Thanks so much.:clap:

eslart
12-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Johannes...I was sooo bummed out today when I was unable to get into your essentials of painting water class...the class was full. Was only able to catch the last hour of it. Have taken several of your other classes and have learned so much from you. Wish these classes were around when I started 10 years ago...I wouldn't have kept making the same mistakes. Now have to put all this new knowledge into my work. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with us.

chalet_dor
12-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Hi :wave:

I was an early bird :smug: and got in to your Water Class today.

This was my first class and I am thrilled be learning.
Thank you so much........Dorian

Nancy Leone
12-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Disappointed. Class full.

susy q
12-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Great class as usual Johannes. You've introduced me to another fine artist...Gerald Harvey who has a vast amount of work to study and learn from...Robert Genn in the first course...Jim Wilcox, C. Aspevig...names that I am now so familiar with thanks to you! Perfect visual and audio for me today which I am greatful for. See you next class, Susy q

Dharma_bum
12-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Johannes --- I was one of the lucky ones who made it into the class today, but apparently about half of those who signed up were not able to. I don't know what went on behind the scenes to go back to free classes, but if you have any say in the matter, or F+W is open to change, I would MUCH prefer to pay for a class and know I would be able to get in each week, than get it free and roll the dice. Having the streaming video available before the next class is also a huge benefit, not only to review, but if I miss a class in this format, I'm out of luck for months until it is finally made available If the course material builds on itself from lesson to lesson, it really screws up the whole course.

If there are any doubts, you might set up a poll thread, and see what others think.

For the benefit of the unlucky ones who didn't get in, you might post the "episode numbers" from the long painting from photo's course last year that deal with water, as I thought a lot of the material was covered there. When I went back to look at the class descriptions on your website, I didn't see any mention of water, other than the waterfall demo, but I was sure you covered a lot of these points back then.

Dan

Susan Peltonen
12-04-2011, 01:39 AM
Johannes ----- I also was not able to get in to the first part of today's class. But I kept trying, and my persistence paid off!

Thank you so much for taking the time to be so thorough---explaining things in detail and following up with examples. Because of this, I don't think I missed too much. And thank you for extending the class beyond the alloted time and answering our questions. An added bonus was the "tour" of various artist's websites for a look at the way they painted water!

Great class, as always! Looking forward to next week's demo!

Johannes Instructor
12-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Johannes --- I was one of the lucky ones who made it into the class today, but apparently about half of those who signed up were not able to. I don't know what went on behind the scenes to go back to free classes, but if you have any say in the matter, or F+W is open to change, I would MUCH prefer to pay for a class and know I would be able to get in each week, than get it free and roll the dice. Having the streaming video available before the next class is also a huge benefit, not only to review, but if I miss a class in this format, I'm out of luck for months until it is finally made available If the course material builds on itself from lesson to lesson, it really screws up the whole course.

If there are any doubts, you might set up a poll thread, and see what others think.

For the benefit of the unlucky ones who didn't get in, you might post the "episode numbers" from the long painting from photo's course last year that deal with water, as I thought a lot of the material was covered there. When I went back to look at the class descriptions on your website, I didn't see any mention of water, other than the waterfall demo, but I was sure you covered a lot of these points back then.

Dan
Next week I will stream thru justin.tv. That way no one will be left out.

Johannes Instructor
12-04-2011, 08:11 AM

Dan
All the episodes and class description are here:
http://improvemypaintings.com/recorded%20classes.html

rib00
12-04-2011, 09:16 AM
It is a shame that F+W over enrolled the class and so many missed it. It certainly wasn't a positive experience for 1700 people who were locked out while only 1000 were able to join the webinar.

Jo has been as accommodating as he possibly can and I am sure he is disappointed with the situation. He truly loves his students and goes far and beyond to share his "nuggets" and create wonderful classes.

It's time to put F+W to the "Scrooge Test". Here is a simple solution to the problem. Post the raw video from Saturday's class ASAP and send a link to it to everyone who enrolled. Do this for just this first class since Jo has a solution for next week. Keep the video available until next Saturday so everyone who missed the class has an opportunity to see the class before the next class.

Personally, I think it would be an opportunity for F+W to demonstrate their commitment to their customers and furthering their art education. After all successful businesses value their customers and do their best to provide positive experiences for them.

That's just my two cents. I hope F+W chooses not to say, Bah humbug.

Mustbenuts
12-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Well said Rib00

wetbob
12-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Can t follow the people being angry. Be an early bird and you can follow the class. Full? buy the vid and you can see it many times, and Johannes is happy too.
Of course it is dissapointed if you re not able to see it

mickisew
12-04-2011, 10:50 AM
One point that has not been made is that many of us (including me) promoted this course on our various sites. It is not a good impression to be advised a class is full - first come, first admitted - limit 1000 participants when 2700 registered. F & W needs to come up with a solution. Micki

karan55
12-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Can t follow the people being angry. Be an early bird and you can follow the class. Full? buy the vid and you can see it many times, and Johannes is happy too.
Of course it is dissapointed if you re not able to see it

I signed on early, at 12:28 and continued trying for 45 min; but kept getting web site failure to open; I never even got to the class full screen. Tried the link this morning and it is working fine, now. I was able to get into all the past classes with no problems and enjoyed them very much! It is such a great opportunity.....I can understand the huge response and desire to get in.

lildip
12-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Why not a book form or CD form? I'm still praying for a better posting of Jo's courses. I can't avail myself of PDF so I can't see anything beyond the live classes, and if I can't get in, I'm stuck? I love the teaching method and format Jo uses, but why not become available to all possible users? I'd pay for CDs. Thanks jo for your wonderful courses. Lildip

Rosemarie
12-04-2011, 01:01 PM
karan55 - if you tried the link today and it works it is the wrong link. It was the Gotomeeting link you should have used. You can't see any past classes with the Gotomeeting link

Rosemarie
12-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Why not a book form or CD form? I'm still praying for a better posting of Jo's courses. I can't avail myself of PDF so I can't see anything beyond the live classes, and if I can't get in, I'm stuck? I love the teaching method and format Jo uses, but why not become available to all possible users? I'd pay for CDs. Thanks jo for your wonderful courses. Lildip
The free classes will be downloadable in the future and you can have them on CDs if you like.
If we get PDFs you can download them and print the if you like.

ZanBarrage
12-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Why is F+W or Jo being blamed for hardware failures and limitations on Webinar that they have no control over? Give me a break... really!!!

Thank you F+W and thank you so much Jo for giving your time and your teaching freely. Thank you for caring enough to do this when ever you have time. and thank you F+W for supporting this effort. This SHOWS your commitment to your customers and your caring for artists on your network.

Thank you also for coming up with solutions that I hope will work for everyone, but if they don't... thanks for trying.

Sheesh!!!

Oilpainter1
12-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Just a quick question. I was finally able to get into the last 10 minutes of the class and thought I heard that the color palette used would be posted on either the wet canvas links or at your web site, Improve My Paintings. I can't find the link, but if I am wrong I would like to know what blues you use for lakes and oceans. Thanks!

Rosemarie
12-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Oilpainter - On the improvemypaintins.com click on the Frequently asked questions and you get to the page.

karan55
12-04-2011, 01:22 PM
karan55 - if you tried the link today and it works it is the wrong link. It was the Gotomeeting link you should have used. You can't see any past classes with the Gotomeeting link

It is the correct gomeeting link: if you click yesterdays "GO TO Webinar" link it will take you to the Wetcanvas live screen and reference the Dec. 10th class. I was just making sure that my computer set up was OK; I knew I wouldn't be able to see the class.

Sgourlayart
12-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Here is an answer for Zanbarrage and an echo of Mickisew. F+W decided after 3 apparently successful pay to watch online programs to go back to a "freebie" and the course was heavily promoted and overbooked. I am sure a lot of people felt very disappointed that they could not get in and will not try again. I have been in every one of Jo's classes except his first because I did not find out about it until it was nearly over, and I have paid to download every single class offered for sale by NorthLight; they are a bargain. Jo knew the class was overbooked and warned us, but F+W had no other support except Citrix that can only handle 1000 people. Overbooking leads to airline passenger discontent and people get crushed to death trying to get into doorbuster sales of large retailers. What happened cannot be fixed, but really should not be repeated. If half the charge for the trees course ($29.99 for 6 weeks/2 or $14.99 for 3 weeks) had been charged), a lot of the freeloaders who have no intention of paying for anything would not have signed up. If on the otherhand Jo is now that popular, F+W needs a new program or upgrade to their Citrix program that they lease to him. Nobody signs up for these courses because its F+W, they sign up because of WetCanvas and Jo. If they don't care about fixing it for the next course, then caveat emptor (for those with rusty Latin, that's "buyer beware". This of course is just my opinion, but I'll bet it's widely shared. I hope this little glitch is part of a learning curve for F+W; it has been for me.
Stu

Yorky
12-04-2011, 02:06 PM
The first webinars were free too.

Doug

Colorix
12-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Citrix is a third party, its service is hired by F+W. A webinar has room for 1000 ppl, it is plain on the Citrix website. The monthly fee is also there.

painterted
12-04-2011, 02:26 PM
I think that if you are limited to 1000, then charge a minimal fee of 5.00 (instead of free) and stop at 1000.

ted

wetbob
12-04-2011, 03:57 PM
AGAIN next week many thousends can follow Jo live painting!!:thumbsup: with justin tv.
I think that if you are limited to 1000, then charge a minimal fee of 5.00 (instead of free)
AGAIN buy Joh s courses! for almost free.

wetbob
12-04-2011, 04:00 PM
I signed on early, at 12:28 and continued trying for 45 min; but kept getting web site failure to open; I never even got to the class full screen. Tried the link this morning and it is working fine, now
I logged in way tooo late, the only thing i thought was, why am i so stupid logging in so late! Missed 15 minutes.

Johannes Instructor
12-04-2011, 05:58 PM

Dan

Some of you are asking me where to buy the previous classes I have given and the books I recommend.

For the past recorded classes:
http://improvemypaintings.com/recorded%20classes.html (http://improvemypaintings.com/recorded%20classes.html)

For book recommendations follow this link:
http://improvemypaintings.com/recommended%20books.html (http://improvemypaintings.com/recommended%20books.html)

I added two new books at the end of the list. One of them is useful for examples of water. The artist does a pretty good job at water.

Johannes Instructor
12-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Just a quick question. I was finally able to get into the last 10 minutes of the class and thought I heard that the color palette used would be posted on either the wet canvas links or at your web site, Improve My Paintings. I can't find the link, but if I am wrong I would like to know what blues you use for lakes and oceans. Thanks!
Here it is:

If you have green foliage always add some green to your blue so it harmonizes with your trees.

Johannes Instructor
12-04-2011, 06:06 PM
One point that has not been made is that many of us (including me) promoted this course on our various sites. It is not a good impression to be advised a class is full - first come, first admitted - limit 1000 participants when 2700 registered. F & W needs to come up with a solution. Micki
The solution is implemented already. Don't worry the enxt two classes all will get in for sure. I will use a program that allows thousands of viewers to watch live video stream.

mickisew
12-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Johannes: Maybe we could use Justin for the webinars - that would be a fix. Just a thought. I was fortunate to have a seat in Saturday's class - excellent as always. Having been a student for the entire year, I do have one question. Do you have to take a break between classes? LOL Just for those who read the comments, "Painting Stunning Landscapes from Photos" is worth more than the dollars spent. I totally recommend it and find myself referring to the videos often. Have a good week, my friend. See you on Saturday.

Micki

Johannes Instructor
12-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Johannes: Maybe we could use Justin for the webinars - that would be a fix. Just a thought. I was fortunate to have a seat in Saturday's class - excellent as always. Having been a student for the entire year, I do have one question. Do you have to take a break between classes? LOL Just for those who read the comments, "Painting Stunning Landscapes from Photos" is worth more than the dollars spent. I totally recommend it and find myself referring to the videos often. Have a good week, my friend. See you on Saturday.

Micki
Thanks Mickie using justin along with go to meeting is exactly what I was planning to do. I have gotten lots of requests for the break. Besides it does give me the opportunity to announce the recommended books.

mickisew
12-04-2011, 09:54 PM
I did not mean a break during class session - everyone needs that. I mean taking time off between our classes. For my money, you can teach every Saturday! Micki

Johannes Instructor
12-04-2011, 10:22 PM
I did not mean a break during class session - everyone needs that. I mean taking time off between our classes. For my money, you can teach every Saturday! Micki

LOL! Now that's the first complaint I have ever gotten about these classes! MM or was it?

Scorpio
12-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Johannes,

"Painting all Aspects of Water" is actually a cd, according to the web site. There is not a clear description of the cd. Is it a DVD or an audio cd? I would like a little more information.

Great class, BTW.
Emilie

romidvaran
12-05-2011, 01:13 AM
Thank you so much Johannes!

robertsloan2
12-05-2011, 05:00 AM
So next week we've got the demo on Justin? Awesome. Will there be a homework review on GoToMeeting first?

Johannes Instructor
12-05-2011, 06:31 AM
So next week we've got the demo on Justin? Awesome. Will there be a homework review on GoToMeeting first?
Yes

Johannes Instructor
12-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Johannes,

"Painting all Aspects of Water" is actually a cd, according to the web site. There is not a clear description of the cd. Is it a DVD or an audio cd? I would like a little more information.

Great class, BTW.
Emilie
You would have to contact nothlight because I have the actual book. But It seems to be the book on DVD format.

clode
12-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Super .. I signed up .. now do I'll be able to do this course .. the time indicated is that of the U.S. .. I think .. for Europe it must be not later? Yorky you seem to know this .. can you tell me .. thank you in advance .. Johannes and thank you for so generously .. and sharing!

Rosemarie
12-05-2011, 07:50 AM
clode- In Sweden it starts at 19.00

Yorky
12-05-2011, 07:52 AM
In the UK it starts at 6pm. Best to sign in early.

Doug

Colorix
12-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Clode, it should be 19:00 for you too.

clode
12-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Rose Marie .. thank you!

clode
12-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Yess colorix thak-you!!

Johannes Instructor
12-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Yess colorix thak-you!!
The class begins at 1 PM EST. You can check your local time with any online time zone converter.

clode
12-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Johannes thank you .. it's great!

MelissaShelly
12-07-2011, 11:49 AM
a couple questions for Joe:
In your lesson last Saturday you mentioned in some critique that a good solution was to create fog with oils. I always wonder how to do that with out making mush. Would glazing white with a lot of medium once the painting is relatively dry work?

MelissaShelly
12-07-2011, 11:50 AM
also, too, where should we be posting questions (if you are taking them)? In Discussion thread or Homework thread?
Thanks so much.
I hope to upload a few paintings soon.

Johannes Instructor
12-07-2011, 07:39 PM
a couple questions for Joe:
In your lesson last Saturday you mentioned in some critique that a good solution was to create fog with oils. I always wonder how to do that with out making mush. Would glazing white with a lot of medium once the painting is relatively dry work?
Good question. There are two ways:

1) You paint a very thin layer of the fog color. Lavendar is the most common but you can also use a golden color for fog if the sun is low near the horizon. Then paint into the fog.
2) Wait till it is dry and use zinc white plus lavendar or the golden color an scumble over the area. I was at Aspevig's studio in Montana where he had done a huge Yellowstone Falls painting he let me in on the usage of zinc white because it is semi transparent so you can still see thru the scumbled paint but the opacity is less. Titanium white tends to be too opaque for this.

Johannes Instructor
12-07-2011, 07:40 PM
also, too, where should we be posting questions (if you are taking them)? In Discussion thread or Homework thread?
Thanks so much.
I hope to upload a few paintings soon.
Questions are fine in this thread.

DaveGhmn
12-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Johannes:
I just rec'd your next class instructions. May I bypass GoToMeeting entirely and just log on to the streaming video at ImproveMyPaintings>WATCH LIVE CLASS?

Thanks,
Dave

Capt Elaine
12-08-2011, 10:31 AM
As one of the unlucky 1,700 that didn't see class one, have I missed too much of the basic info to make this second class (if I'm one of the lucky 1000) worthwhile or should I just forget about it and wait for this to come out on DVD later. Along with a LOT of other people I'm not at all happy that I missed the class, and that I missed what could have been a nice day to paint outside, instead of sitting indoors cursing the computer and WetCanvas.

Johannes Instructor
12-08-2011, 05:08 PM
As one of the unlucky 1,700 that didn't see class one, have I missed too much of the basic info to make this second class (if I'm one of the lucky 1000) worthwhile or should I just forget about it and wait for this to come out on DVD later. Along with a LOT of other people I'm not at all happy that I missed the class, and that I missed what could have been a nice day to paint outside, instead of sitting indoors cursing the computer and WetCanvas.\
A lot of what I said last class will be repeated in the demo.

Johannes Instructor
12-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Johannes:
I just rec'd your next class instructions. May I bypass GoToMeeting entirely and just log on to the streaming video at ImproveMyPaintings>WATCH LIVE CLASS?

Thanks,
Dave

Yes you can at this link:

http://improvemypaintings.com/livestream.html

DaveGhmn
12-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks, Johannes.

Capt. Elaine, there was much in the class (captured succinctly by Robert Sloan -- see his notes, post #56, last page of this thread: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14187055#post14187055)

But two -- shall we say? -- laws of a good painting really struck home:
In good paintings, all the lines are dancing, melodic...
And all planes benefit from gradation.

Later that night, as I was clearing space next to the bed, one of my books fell open on this from Monet, every line dancing, every plane placed with gradation:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2011/188440-Monet_cap_dantibes_sm.jpg

spudsmom
12-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Jo,
I'm so looking forward to tomorrow's class! Today my cast on my right arm came off so maybe in a week or so I can paint again!

Can't wait until tomorrow!

Sherri:thumbsup:

jillmc3
12-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Does anyone know what medium the demo will be tomorrow?

HazelP
12-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Does anyone know what medium the demo will be tomorrow?

In the instruction message Johannes sent us yesterday it states the painting will be in oils.

sue.w
12-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Would it be ok to go directly to the overflfow live class on Improvemypaintings.com instead of trying to log in to the gotomeeting first?

And also - I'm thinking of accessing the class via the ipad and view it on the 40" screen TV instead of on my smaller monitor. Has anyone tried this?
If so, was the viewing good, or have you run into problems.

dddiam
12-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Johannes.

That link returns a "Page not found".

However, I did just find another page with your palette on it:
http://improvemypaintings.com/palette.html.

Thank you again for your Painting with Trees course!

Johannes Instructor
12-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Would it be ok to go directly to the overflfow live class on Improvemypaintings.com instead of trying to log in to the gotomeeting first?

And also - I'm thinking of accessing the class via the ipad and view it on the 40" screen TV instead of on my smaller monitor. Has anyone tried this?
If so, was the viewing good, or have you run into problems.
Yes but you typed Improvemypaintings with captial "I" . That's why page no found.

jean48
12-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Are there going to be notes posted for the painting water classes? I missed last week (the first week) and would like to look over what was done.

MelissaShelly
12-10-2011, 04:26 PM
i got home from a funeral a bit late and was unable to get on....anybody else have that problem. If I go to the link on Artists Network I don't have a password to get on and the link sent to me by email keeps telling me to come back later!!! Bummer!

versailles 78
12-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Thank you so much for this second class on painting water and what a brilliant painting you did !!! awesome ! I am a bit sad you won't have time for a pastel demo..... anyway, the tips and commandements work with all mediums and I can't wait for the third class.
As a pastel and sanguine portrait painter, I am looking forward to your teaching on that subject in which I have still so much to learn. Thank you again !

CatherineOnTheLake
12-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Yes I agree the second class was superb and his pic was gorgeous. Does anyone know what medium he will use in Class 3 next week? Hopefully watercolor.... :) Will he be doing the same pic next week - or will he change subject matter? My first ever webinar was today (the first half - went very well) and I missed the first half of the second half (LOL) because trouble logging on from his website. Someone here on WC helped me so thanks very much for that! Can't wait until next week!

Johannes Instructor
12-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Yes I agree the second class was superb and his pic was gorgeous. Does anyone know what medium he will use in Class 3 next week? Hopefully watercolor.... :) Will he be doing the same pic next week - or will he change subject matter? My first ever webinar was today (the first half - went very well) and I missed the first half of the second half (LOL) because trouble logging on from his website. Someone here on WC helped me so thanks very much for that! Can't wait until next week!

Watercolor it will be!

Amandine
12-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Hello Johannes,
Would it be possible to post the photo(s) you used for your demo along with the finished painting ? As usual, I couldn't watch the demo this afternoon because of my internet connection. :( But, the good news is that my internet provider has recently launched a new satellite that will allow a real high speed. I just need to check how (and for how many $$$) it can be installed where I live. :crossfingers: . Thank you.

Artamorada
12-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Sharing my notes ............for what it's worth!!

Dailey of Artamorada in Islamorada, FL

Johannes critiques of student paintings.
Session 2 (water)
If water is too busy, glaze it. It should be one mass.
Make each side of the stream different…one side is seen to be more shallow by yellowing it.
Water should be l value different than land
No hard edges in water
Grey out or darken shadows in the water, less saturated
Whatever is dark on land is lighter in water.
A painting isn’t finished until you have taken all extraneous objects out!!!!
No blue water….add some reflecting color to the blue to shift it, and avoid the swimming pool effect. Gradation.
RULES:
Asymmetrical
Avoid cloning
Melodic lines
Little 1 inch squares should be little paintings, and not repeated.
Abstract and interesting shapes
Diagonals are interesting
Lead the viewer INTO your painting
Avoid eye going left to right; start at the bottom and wander into the back of the painting. Point a log toward the depth of painting
Don’t have the 4th line even visually implied. You always start with 3!!!
Don’t paint out of your head………..perception is different from impressionism.
Link dark objects together
Put some negative painting in every watercolor.
Make the viewer dance on the melodic line
Taper stream at the back of painting then let the stream peak out again.
Cooler to warmer or darker to lighter for gradation. Warmer in foreground
Can have many trunks if keep value close together.
Vary the colors and values in all water

Johannes Water, Session 2
Divide canvas into 9 equal parts. Draws with pastel pencil (burnt sienna) when using oils.
Horizon line 3/8 position….3/8 vs 5/8.
Brush strokes go the direction that they behave.
If the brush isn’t moving, the eye won’t.
Variegate
Bring viewer into painting
Depth with as many planes as possible. Think front to back, not left to right.
Every square must have a painting in it.
Downplay the margin/no-fly zone and desaturate it.
Mid-dark levels only work in mood paintings of evening or early morning, etc.
The smoother the surface, the more reflection it picks up. If coarse, won’t reflect much.
No concave shapes highlighted.
Rocks are minivans!!!!
Cracks in rocks go up and down, not across. It keeps the eye in the painting. Maybe diagonal for visual path.
Rock paths should be an “s” movement.
Water darker in the foreground and lighter in the background.
Warm colors next to cool rocks
Vertical brushing then horizontal.
The sky dictates the mood of the painting
Have the colors of the painting somewhere in the water.
Reflections should be approximate.
Use pastry brush for watercolor grass. Hold brush sideways no brushing upward.
Tom Browing’s (sp) grass.
Think front to back. Overlap, integrate to create another plane. It must look 3D.
Overdo the techniques to create 3D. Warm rock tops to offset cool water.
Many colors stroked into the water in vertical strokes, reflecting the sky. Only vertical strokes.

Use a ruler to be sure the reflection lines up with the object.
Start dark at beginning of reflection and get lighter as you go down to the end of the reflection.
Roll the brush over the outside leaves of trees. John Bottisen (sp?).
Put sky gaps in the reflection
Take a dry brush at the bottom third create choppy little strokes that breaks up the reflections.
Add some scumbling.
Be careful of becoming intoxicated with your painting and not really SEEING it. Leave it and then come back to critique it cold.
Balance the weight of both sides of painting. The value does the balancing. The value can make a painting lean to one side or the other.
Ripples are wider in a painting than in real life.

Johannes Instructor
12-11-2011, 01:26 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2011/135220-final_painting_for_wetcanvas.jpg

Oops I uploaded the wrong photo. This is the one.

Johannes Instructor
12-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Here is the reference photohttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2011/135220-IMG_0225.jpg

DaveGhmn
12-11-2011, 03:47 AM
Thanks, Johannes. To my great sorrow, I was not able to see the demo after you rebooted... I'll need to deduce backward from the finished work, but can see a number of your points illustrated, especially vis-a-vis the source photo.

Flipping the scene, placing the sun, un-cloning the rocks, bringing interest to the expanse of water on the lower left (colors are great!), warming the shore, adding a touch of vegetation to the exposed ledge/islet...

Many thanks for your series -- so many insights.

chalet_dor
12-11-2011, 04:07 AM
Thanks for sharing your great notes Artamorada

Amandine
12-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Thanks again Jo for posting your painting and the photo. Make sure I'll study your painting very carefully and read the notes taken by other students (thanks to Robert and Artamorada). :thumbsup: Then, I'll practice and practice ... Isn't it the way to learn ? ;)

DaveGhmn
12-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Yes, many many thanks to Robert and Artamorada.

Looking forward to hearing what homework #2 is, which according to another thread in Homework #1, will be handed out tomorrow.

jillmc3
12-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to post information and notes here. I was a bit frustrated yesterday with the choppy video in stickam, tried rebooting and reloading several times and finally gave up altogether. Never had that problem with the video demos before. I hope it was temporary!

Your finished painting is fabulous, Johannes! Thanks for posting it.

zipster
12-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Jo, A BIG THANK YOU ! I was unable to get in yesterday but have enjoyed and learned from many of your classes. I will purchase the Water Course when available and thank you again from a senior on a fixed income . . . .

MelissaShelly
12-11-2011, 08:20 PM
where is the finished painting Johannes did? i missed the whole class since I wasn't able to get on :(
I'm not clear why Dave (from Boston) said the photo should be flipped (see above) ETC. Feel so darn lost from the missed day!

DaveGhmn
12-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Melissa, Johannes posted the finished painting in post #194 on the previous page of this thread.

As for the photo -- well, the version I downloaded has the cabin on the left, the rock peninsula on the right. Either the source photo in post #195 has been flipped, or my version has been flipped left to right.

Some people had trouble joining (or re-joining) the session once it went from GoToMeeting to the second site indicated in Johannes's emails. I had no trouble until Johannes went offline in the second site (to reboot his computer), but in my case (older computer, Foxfire browser) the problem must have been on my end.

Unfortunately, Foxfire seems to be getting less and less useful with each revision.

carol_lee
12-11-2011, 10:38 PM
I changed to Chrome quite a while ago when one firefox update really messed up.... Haven't looked back!!!

The link to improvemypaintings is wrong... misses the s in painting...
improvemypainting.com -----so brings up a different site....

Johannes Instructor
12-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Some of you could not get my painting demo video to play last Saturday. I now know what the issue is. That's because your computer is missing a software.
Here is how to solve it. It is very simple. Install GOOGLE CHROME browser. Get it at this link:
http://www.google.ca/chrome/index.ht...tm_campaign=en

Run that browser and go to http://stickam.com/
and click on "Who's live" at the top. Then click on any blue name. If you can bring up anyone's video then you will bring up mine because it is the same system.
Make sure you run GOOGLE CHROME next Saturday.
See you all December 17 at 1 PM EST. I urge you not to pass up on the painting demo next Saturday because you did not achieve a video
last Saturday. I already solved several others' systems that had the same problem as you did once they used Google Chrome.
(Google Chrome was developed by Google )
Once you do this go to http://improvemypaintings.com (http://improvemypaintings.com/) <<< click on "Watch Live CLass"
and you will see the TV screen with a picture of a fishing town with dates on it. That proves you have remedied the issue.

See you next Saturday. First we meet in gotomeeting. Then after the break we watch the painting demo at the "Watch Live Class" link.

Johannes Vloothuis

clode
12-12-2011, 02:55 AM
Thank you for all these explanations .. I could not see the demo on Saturday .. I'll try to do something .. thank you to those who give explanations about what they saw;

DaveGhmn
12-12-2011, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the setup information, Johannes.

Is there a way to see last Saturday's video at Stickam -- or anywhere else?

Johannes Instructor
12-12-2011, 09:31 AM
The few of you who did not get video last class and to be honest with you it is not my fault. I know as a fact that google chrome works because it has adobe flash player integrated in it. I specified in my email send last week before class to use other browsers in case you had problems. Here is the excerpt:

1. Make sure you have the latest browser. Besides having Microsoft Internet Explorer, also install Google Chrome and Firefox and use the one that works best for you.. Many times page refresh issues are solved by alternating browsers. If your video freezes refresh the browser.

So if you did not get the video it was because you did not read this email, you did not follow the instructions or your email is in your spam or junk folder. So my friends I am off the hook. So you next class. You will all have video now.

Johannes Instructor
12-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the setup information, Johannes.

Is there a way to see last Saturday's video at Stickam -- or anywhere else?
You will be able to get a recording in the near future.

Donald_Smith
12-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks Artamorada,

It's good to compare notes. I haven't had time to type mine up yet. I keep trying to get Jo's list of 10 Thou Shalt Nots, and he runs through them so quickly, I can't write that fast and still read it. LOL

Donald

4evrAutumn
12-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Thank you, Johannes for a wonderful session. It was my first but I'm certain not my last! :clap:

Btw, I'm a Mac user and had no problem seeing the video using Safari. I first went to gotomeeting but then opened the improvemypaintings site ten minutes before start so watched from it. I closed the gotomeeting to make room for someone else. The only glitch I had was after the second 10 minute break. I just refreshed my browser and the video started playing again. Sound was great and I was using my '07 macbook, which normally has lousy sound.

maryinasia
12-12-2011, 07:39 PM
thanks artamorada for typing up the class notes!

murphe
12-12-2011, 08:17 PM
I imagine Iphone would also have a stickam viewer as Android market has a free stickam app and I had no trouble viewing the demo on my HTC using it.
I couldn't use the link provided (well I might have been able to using a browser and flash on the phone but I didn't try.) so I just had to search for Johannes' name on the main Stickam page.

Just another option for people having problems.

Johannes Instructor
12-13-2011, 09:01 AM
I imagine Iphone would also have a stickam viewer as Android market has a free stickam app and I had no trouble viewing the demo on my HTC using it.
I couldn't use the link provided (well I might have been able to using a browser and flash on the phone but I didn't try.) so I just had to search for Johannes' name on the main Stickam page.

Just another option for people having problems.

The link is http://improvemypaintings.com/ then click on "Watch LIve Class"

hai
12-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Where can I find the homework of this week?

4evrAutumn
12-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Where can I find the homework of this week?

Here ya go - http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=958749

mlgk
12-13-2011, 04:25 PM
I was very disappointed not to be able to see the video Sat. Dec 10. I have always been able to get it. I checked my speed and it showed 10, but I checked it today and it only showed 5. Don't know what to do about this. I am on cable and have a Mac 10.4.11. Any ideas?:

Johannes Instructor
12-13-2011, 10:36 PM
I was very disappointed not to be able to see the video Sat. Dec 10. I have always been able to get it. I checked my speed and it showed 10, but I checked it today and it only showed 5. Don't know what to do about this. I am on cable and have a Mac 10.4.11. Any ideas?:
Yes you need to install this software

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer

Then go to this website
http://improvemypaintings.com (http://improvemypaintings.com) <<< Click on Watch Live Class
If you can see a painting with broadcast dates on it you are all configured for next Saturday.

mlgk
12-14-2011, 11:02 AM
I was able to get the video Dec. 10 but it was so choppy I gave up. I couldn't get the sound either. Will installing adobe flash correct this? Months ago I bought lesson 3&4 Painting Landscapes from Photos and never could get it to play on my computer. I am afraid to buy any more as I feel it will be a waste of money.

Rosemarie
12-14-2011, 11:50 AM
I was able to get the video Dec. 10 but it was so choppy I gave up. I couldn't get the sound either. Will installing adobe flash correct this? Months ago I bought lesson 3&4 Painting Landscapes from Photos and never could get it to play on my computer. I am afraid to buy any more as I feel it will be a waste of money.

It doesn't hurt to have the latest Adobe Flash installed. It is free!

mlgk
12-15-2011, 11:36 AM
It doesn't hurt to have the latest Adobe Flash installed. It is free!
Thanks Rosemarie. I did download Adobe Flash but was wondering if this is really going to solve my problem. I have always been able to get the videos without any trouble. I did get the video but it was choppy. I am wondering what changed about last Sat. video that it was so choppy.

Rosemarie
12-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks Rosemarie. I did download Adobe Flash but was wondering if this is really going to solve my problem. I have always been able to get the videos without any trouble. I did get the video but it was choppy. I am wondering what changed about last Sat. video that it was so choppy.

I can't guaranty that it will be less choppy. You have at least tried to do what you can to make it working.

I find that sometimes the live streaming works well and sometimes not. It probably has to do with what else in happening on Internet. The signals pass a lot of servers to get to you and it can be that some servers are overloaded. First the signals goes from Joe to LA where Stickam is located and then it travels all over the world. Sometimes there are other events that takes a lot of bandwidth and your connection gets choppy. It was much worse for me during the spring classes when the live streaming was on Sundays. It clashed with American football events among other events. I also had bad connection during the Olympic games.

oCDs01-711
12-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Johannes, I bought a new computer which I will use for the next class. Will the gotomeeting site recognize my new computer if I use the reminder link that you send me on Saturday?

Shirley

Johannes Instructor
12-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Johannes, I bought a new computer which I will use for the next class. Will the gotomeeting site recognize my new computer if I use the reminder link that you send me on Saturday?

Shirley
Yes, the computer change is no problem. You could log on anywhere in the world with any computer.

Improv
12-15-2011, 08:23 PM
I was able to get the video Dec. 10 but it was so choppy I gave up. I couldn't get the sound either. Will installing adobe flash correct this?

The choppy video and sound could have to do with a slow internet connection or an older computer (with not enough ram) and thus it couldn't handle the video. If you didn't have Flash installed, you wouldn't see the video at all.

Hundreds of us see the videos every week with no problems, so it's likely that there is some technical issue at your end as I described above.

Rosemarie
12-16-2011, 12:32 AM
The choppy video and sound could have to do with a slow internet connection or an older computer (with not enough ram) and thus it couldn't handle the video. If you didn't have Flash installed, you wouldn't see the video at all.

Hundreds of us see the videos every week with no problems, so it's likely that there is some technical issue at your end as I described above.

I have to add that it doesn't have to be a problem in either end but in between the ends. We have to remember that the signals travel a long way and passes a lot of servers and the might be servers being down or more local rush traffic that we can't affect.

Some of these live streaming classes has been disastrous but others has worked really well and it has had nothing to do with my computer or browser.

Sgourlayart
12-16-2011, 05:00 AM
I want to thank Rosemarie for all her calming comments about the causes for the glitches in audio and video reception many of us are encountering as signals bounce all over the world from server to server. I also want to thank Johannes for opening up his website to those who could not get into the workshop 2 weeks ago; he always makes lemonade out of lemons. I see that the next course will also be a "freebie"; even so I signed up and I will still buy these courses when they are available on NorthLight--they are so good and such a bargain--but I hate to wait so many months for all those golden nuggets. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. Stu

Rosemarie
12-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Stu. May I remind you that most of the Golden Nuggets are in Roberts notes. You find the thread at the top of the home page for Johannes classes here in Wetcanvas
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522

Sgourlayart
12-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Stu. May I remind you that most of the Golden Nuggets are in Roberts notes. You find the thread at the top of the home page for Johannes classes here in Wetcanvas
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522
Rosemarie, I have found Robert's notes to be invaluable as a supplement to the visual material, but not a substitute for Jo's visual demonstrations with examples in paintings or drawings in Photoshop Elements. If a "picture is worth a thousand words", then a video must be worth a thousand pictures. If you are a visual learner, as I am, that video rapidly puts those golden nuggets in an easily retrieveable form in your brain. Thanks for all of your contributions to this forum; I have found them to also be a valuable supplement to Jo's lessons and to have a most reassuring and calming effect when technical things go wrong.

Stu

jillmc3
12-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Has Johannes posted the photo reference for today's demo anywhere? Thanks!

Johannes Instructor
12-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Has Johannes posted the photo reference for today's demo anywhere? Thanks!

Here!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2011/135220-DSC01455.jpg

dartistflame
12-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Jo, will we be able to watch the unedited version of the Waters class we just finished? I missed so much of it in the audio. Gotomeeting was working great but when I shut it down to just do the streaming video I could not hear much. I really needed this class more than anything I have taken from you.

Amandine
12-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Could you please post the finished painting you did today, Jo ? I'm really curious to see how you handled the photo posted above. Many thanks.

dljaques
12-17-2011, 07:02 PM
jOHANNES, YOU SAID THAT YOU WOULD GIVE US A LIST OF WATERCOLORISTS THAT YOU CONSIDER TOP NOTCH. THANK YOU

BumpaBob
12-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Here is a bit of a clarification for all Mac users. I use an iMac G4 and an iBook G4, both of which use Power PC processors, and was unable to get in to either broadcast on Dec. 10: shut out of GoToMeeting and Stickam would not run. Jo's instructions by email afterwards were to install the latest Adobe flash Player, which is version 11 when you click on the link provided. You have to have an Intel based machine with OSX 10.5 or higher to load Flash Player 11. However, this will NOT work on a Power PC Mac which runs up to OSX 10.4.11 and cannot update to OSX 10.5. So this means buying the videos afterwards, or buying a new computer. At at least $1000 for a new Mac, I guess I will be waiting for the downloads/dvd's. It is odd that Stickam doesn't work this time; I was able to see the classes in the "Long Course" back last winter. Oh well, that's life...:o .

zipster
12-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Jo, Everything went fine today with regard to computers . Thank you for all you do for us.

Rosemarie
12-18-2011, 12:55 AM
BumpaBob / I had major problems with the Stickam too yesterday and it worked fairly well last week. It something else between Stickam and my computer that is the problem. I will buy the watercolour demo when it is up.

Johannes Instructor
12-18-2011, 08:51 AM
jOHANNES, YOU SAID THAT YOU WOULD GIVE US A LIST OF WATERCOLORISTS THAT YOU CONSIDER TOP NOTCH. THANK YOU
Go to my website below and you will find a tab that says, "Johannes' Palette"

Johannes Instructor
12-18-2011, 08:55 AM
BumpaBob / I had major problems with the Stickam too yesterday and it worked fairly well last week. It something else between Stickam and my computer that is the problem. I will buy the watercolour demo when it is up.
No because you would always have that problem. I believe we are clogging them. I will look into all this. So I believe randomly some people get a slower feed.

uthule13
12-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Johannes, please do post both versions of yesterday's demo. Several members of my art group had to miss the class. Thanks!

dljaques
12-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Thank you Johannes for responding so quickly, however, that was not what I asked. I asked for a list of watercolorists that you considered top notch and you said to ask you in this forum—not what your palette was. Sorry for the confusion.

Dixie

Johannes Instructor
12-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Johannes, please do post both versions of yesterday's demo. Several members of my art group had to miss the class. Thanks!
Give me a bit. I need to get these videos to Northlight tomorrow morning. I ill post the painting Monday morning. I need to set up my special portrait lghts to take a good picture.

Scorpio
12-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Here is a bit of a clarification for all Mac users. I use an iMac G4 and an iBook G4, both of which use Power PC processors, and was unable to get in to either broadcast on Dec. 10: shut out of GoToMeeting and Stickam would not run. Jo's instructions by email afterwards were to install the latest Adobe flash Player, which is version 11 when you click on the link provided. You have to have an Intel based machine with OSX 10.5 or higher to load Flash Player 11. However, this will NOT work on a Power PC Mac which runs up to OSX 10.4.11 and cannot update to OSX 10.5. So this means buying the videos afterwards, or buying a new computer. At at least $1000 for a new Mac, I guess I will be waiting for the downloads/dvd's. It is odd that Stickam doesn't work this time; I was able to see the classes in the "Long Course" back last winter. Oh well, that's life...:o .

BumpaBob,
I have an older MacBook, (2007) running OSX 10.4. I saw everything just fine (Dec 16), even though gotomeeting says you need 10.5. Maybe it is because Stickam is supposedly in Los Angeles and I am in San Diego? Not as many servers, maybe. I don't know what a power pc mac is, but I'm sure I don't have it. Just the regular Mac with Safari. I downloaded the flash player, but who knows if it got installed or not. In fact, Stickam was much less choppy than it was the previous week.

BumpaBob
12-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Hi Scorpio:
If you were able to load the Flash Player 11 after following Jo's email instructions, then you must have an Intel processor. Power PC is the name of the processor used in G4 and earlier Mac's. If you go up to the blue Apple in the top left corner and click it, you will see what you have for a processor. Most likely you will see an Intel device. If it says something like "1.2 Ghz PowerPC G4" then I gotta call Adobe to see why I cannot load Flash Player 11!

As I said, I watched all the Stickam programs last spring, but they were not running thru this Jason program Jo mentioned. We run two Mac's, an iMac from 2001 and an iBook from 2004, both on OSX 10.4.11, no higher. Good luck!

Amandine
12-18-2011, 06:37 PM
I'll post the painting Monday morning. I need to set up my special portrait lights to take a good picture.

No problem for me to wait till tomorrow. Special portrait lights, you say ? So this is the way to take great photos of your art ... good to know :thumbsup:

Scorpio
12-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Hi Scorpio:
If you were able to load the Flash Player 11 after following Jo's email instructions, then you must have an Intel processor. Power PC is the name of the processor used in G4 and earlier Mac's. If you go up to the blue Apple in the top left corner and click it, you will see what you have for a processor. Most likely you will see an Intel device. If it says something like "1.2 Ghz PowerPC G4" then I gotta call Adobe to see why I cannot load Flash Player 11!

As I said, I watched all the Stickam programs last spring, but they were not running thru this Jason program Jo mentioned. We run two Mac's, an iMac from 2001 and an iBook from 2004, both on OSX 10.4.11, no higher. Good luck!
Bumpa, you are right. I have an Intel core duo. Sorry you are having problems. Maybe it is time to upgrade? I know that more and more programs will not work on my almost 5 year old computer. I feel that sooner or later, I will have to bite the bullet. It's frustrating, because it is still a great computer.

lorigina
12-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Johannes, thank you for the class "Essentials of Painting Water". I have been fortunate to have attended the last four seminars you have given. As others have mentioned, you've truly given us a life-long gift. I look forward to the classes this coming year, and will be ordering the recordings. Wishing you, and your family a happy and peaceful year, and may 2012 be most prosperous for you.

Johannes Instructor
12-20-2011, 10:14 AM
No problem for me to wait till tomorrow. Special portrait lights, you say ? So this is the way to take great photos of your art ... good to know :thumbsup:

Here it is!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2011/135220-Balls_Falls3.jpg

painterted
12-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Nice job Johannes. I missed the painting part on Sat. so I'm happy to see your painting. I see I have to do some serious work in simplifying my paintings. I know "does it need to be there".

ted

Nahant
12-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Beautiful results, Johannes. It was a revelation to me to see what could be accomplished using pastel with watercolor. I wish you many blessings over the holidays and through the new year!

Betty