PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone purchased the new TL Vibrants?

Lynndidj
11-06-2011, 01:11 AM
I've been looking at the new "Vibrants" on the Ludwig site, and I'm wondering if anyone has purchased them. Are the colors different from anything else you have in other sets? Are there lots that are similar in color in the set? Give us a review!!!

Lynn

Barbara WC
11-06-2011, 03:04 PM
I had ordered a handmade color chart from Ludwig's site a couple of months ago and was pleasantly surprised to find the new Vibrants included on the color chart!

The vibrants are mostly in the magenta color family- reds and violets and fill a gap that was missing from the Ludwig line. There are also some red oranges (A051-A055, R352-R355) that are also a nice addition.

I ended up ordering 7 of the colors- R261-R265, R243 and V346, these colors will be useful for me in portrait sessions- I've been using magenta sticks from Sennelier because Ludwig didn't have the vibrants when I put together my own open stock portrait set a few months ago.

Many of these colors are similar to ones I've found in Sennelier line, so while I don't think many of them are "unique" (like Ludwig V100 is), I'm glad Terry decided to add these, because now I can do a whole painting using Ludwigs only :)

Edited to add: most of the colors in this set are quite different from each other, unlike a lot of the Ludwig dark greens for example, which I find too similar to tell apart by eye. In the vibrant set, R245-R249 to my eye are very similar in hue and value and I'd personally not feel the need to have all of those. V345 and V346 look quite similar, as do V417, V418 and V419. Overall though, Terry has done a good job in this set of having a range of dark to light in hues of this set.

robertsloan2
11-06-2011, 04:16 PM
They look like good colors. I think sometime I need to get that chart from Ludwig so I can decide which sticks to get other than the Maggie Price Values set. That's a definite - a friend of mine sent a small chart made with those and I love them, that'd be a complete set in itself.

But I might replace the magenta values in it with the new Vibrants if they're more saturated, since I love having saturated magenta and cold pinks.

Barbara WC
11-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Robert-

I wouldn't consider any of the colors in the Maggie Price set as being magenta. Many of colors in the Vibrant set are very bright blueish pink to blueish red- think "hot pink", cotton candy and bright pink roses- colors that previously weren't available in the Ludwig line.

I just looked at Terry's website, and on my monitor, the colors don't look as vibrant as in real life. I was tempted to order the whole set, but for my portrait work, a lot of the colors would likely go unused. If I painted flowers or even bright landscapes, I'd order the set without hesitation.

Lynndidj
11-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks Barbara - that is useful information!! I think I'm going to order that Ludwig color chart - it sounds really useful.

Lynn

Barbara WC
11-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Lynn-

The color chart is expensive, but I've probably saved at least that much by not ordering colors I don't want! No internet site shows the true colors, and I didn't want to buy the whole set of Ludwigs!

I'd recommend buying the color chart directly from Terry's site- it is handmade on U-Art paper with glassine covers on each page. Dakota also sells a handmade color chart, but I think it is on white watercolor type paper (at least the Rembrandt chart is).

The color chart is eye candy and a piece of art in itself- sometimes I pull it out just to look at it!

chuas2
11-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Ok, I'm going to get the color chart too. I have an old one from Dakota, but Terry has added about 100 colors since then.

I'm eyeing the vibrants too, Lynn! :evil:

Lynndidj
11-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Yep - I ordered the color chart. Gonna make me want more of those pastels, I just know it.

Lynn