PDA

View Full Version : Dulux Matt Emulsion

autolisp
11-05-2011, 05:36 AM
Hello everyone. This question is for friends residing in the U.K. Does anyone know if the 'Dulux Matt Emulsion', as supplied in '250ml Test Pots' from the paint mixing section of 'Homebase DIY' is acrylic. I know their masonry emulsion is 100% acrylic resin based (it states it on the can). No one at Homebase seems to know! Dulux help desk do not bother to reply to answer the same question! The reason I ask is. John Myatt uses 'Dukux Vynil Matt' paint in some of his work. I don't want to raise the spectre of 'household paint versus artist paint' again. But it might be useful to know the answer.

autolisp

OkeeKat
11-05-2011, 07:10 PM
sorry in the USA and dont know of this .. so hopefully others in the UK will reply soon. Good luck.

autolisp
11-06-2011, 04:24 AM
OkeeKat. Yes. I am hoping someone will respond - eventually!
autolisp

Yorky
11-06-2011, 04:37 AM
I was wondering whether it was the same as is known in the USA as latex paint and also asked Dulux for an answer and got no response :rolleyes:

Doug

autolisp
11-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Yorky. Looks like Dulux has a very good customer service section!
autolisp

Edit: Have a look at this website (link below) read this article. Quite interesting.
http://dundean.com/tips_what_is_latex_paint.shtml

the drover's dog
11-06-2011, 08:59 AM
We have Dulux paints in Oz. Don't call them emulsions here though just Flat, Satin, or Gloss plastic or waterbased paints. That means acrylics in Aussie corporate speak. I've used house paint sample pots for backgrounds way back in my tole painting days and I have some of those items still in daily use. They are as good as new as are the artist's acrylics applied on top. I would advise using a flat textured paint if you want to retain enough tooth to apply other paints on top. Gloss might cause beading of subsequent paints. This is easily remedied with a bit of a rub with fine sandpaper.

Dale

autolisp
11-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the interesting reply 'Drover's Dog'. I wasn't intending to use it for anything serious, but it may serve a purpose if used like 'acrylic as watercolours' on paper!
autolisp

Einion
11-07-2011, 02:43 PM
The reason I ask is. John Myatt uses 'Dukux Vynil Matt' paint in some of his work.
Worth mentioning that back around the time he started doing the forgeries this was what he painted with primarily, because he couldn't afford anything better. He's used to it now and that alone is a reason he'd continue to use it.

Einion

autolisp
11-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Einion . I have an email from Rosemary, his wife, last week in response to a question to him about using 'Dulux'. He used it because he cannot - could not stand the smell of artists paints, even when he was at art school. He uses Dulux Vinyl Matt in 2.5 litre tins in the three primary colours.
autolisp

paznbaz
11-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Go to your local signwriter supplies and they will have flat acrylic paint used by movie set builders in a full range of colours, expensive but good to work with.
They will need a clear sealer when finished to protect. I had a paint manufacturer create a low sheen clear latex with sunscreen added and some of my outdoor work looks the same after 10yrs

autolisp
11-08-2011, 04:49 AM
Panbaz. Go to your local signwriter supplies and they will have flat acrylic paint used by movie set builders in a full range of colours, expensive but good to work with.
They will need a clear sealer when finished to protect. I had a paint manufacturer create a low sheen clear latex with sunscreen added and some of my outdoor work looks the same after 10yrs

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately there is a distinct shortage of 'Movie set builders' in the UK. Signwriters here tend to use gloss paints.
autolisp

Einion
11-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Einion . I have an email from Rosemary, his wife, last week in response to a question to him about using 'Dulux'. He used it because he cannot - could not stand the smell of artists paints, even when he was at art school. He uses Dulux Vinyl Matt in 2.5 litre tins in the three primary colours.
Well okay, but if you see footage of his studio you can see many acrylics laid out on the painting tables, I can definitely remember one or two Liquitex products as well as some D-R paint. In his previous series on painting like the masters I've seen Myatt painting with System 3s.

Einion

autolisp
11-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Yes I agree. He has used other paints. I was merely reporting the response I received to my question.

However. I finally received a reply from 'Dulux Tech Dept'. It consisted of just three words. "Yes It Is"!

autolisp

Art Leat
11-28-2011, 02:21 AM
Does anyone know what John Myatt uses as primary colours when painting with Dulux emulsion? If so, what are there names. I have looked in vain at Dulux's on-screen colour charts but have been unable to find anything that seems to come close to warm (cadmium) red or warm (French) blue, although there are warm yellows. When it comes to cools, there are plenty of reds and blues, but I don't see anything like lemon yellow. I ask this because I want to experiment to see what could be achieved using a limited palette of seven colours, warm and cool primaries and white

autolisp
01-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Art Leat.

Sorry for the delay in replying (logging-in problems). What I did was this. Paint a swatch with my 'WN' acrylics in the colours I wanted. I took the swatch to 'Homebase' and got them to mix the colours from a scan of each of my swatch colours.

autolisp