PDA

View Full Version : vial 1

Nayana
11-05-2011, 01:59 AM
16x20 acrylic on canvas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2011/70210-vile_1.jpg

Canadanny
11-05-2011, 02:26 PM
I don't see many comments here? I like the subtle shading to the lower part of this vial. The meaning of the piece, I have no idea. Interesting.

Nayana
11-05-2011, 02:36 PM
your right, not many comments. I am wondering if a painting of a vial of blood made some people uncomfortable.

it is a response to finding out that I have a serious disease involving my blood. I didn't put that in the description because I want to know what people think not knowing that. I have found people treat me, and my work, differently if they want to or not.

OkeeKat
11-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Hi Nayana!!
Very simple/slender unique subject, done well.
First time I viewed this today, no it doesnt make me uncomfortable.
I'm sorry to hear you have a serious blood disorder. I do hope its something they can control or cure.
I didnt know what it meant untill I read your second post.

I do like the simple background, it could benefit from a darker shadow showing it lying on the table rather then floading on the background.

Lady Carol
11-05-2011, 08:40 PM
I am not uncomfortable by this and have seen many a tube of blood in my career life but it does not look realistic enough to me for a vial of blood. First off it is not usually that full. The vacutainers often fill about 3/4 of the way up. Also the tube is a little fatter than you have depicted. I think there would be a bit of curiosity if there was illegible writing on the label. Curiosity...who could it be...what could be wrong...why do they have a clotting issue?

Nayana
11-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Carol, thank you for the great feedback! I base di ton a photo and I think the photo I based it on had it laying down, hence the appearance of being full, if I do another I will be more mindful of realism in that way, and I agree some writing might be good also.
Kathie, thank you for your feedback also. It is not curable but it is treatable. :0)

keith.a
11-05-2011, 10:37 PM
I have uploaded work on wetcanvas in my time here and gotten varied reaction , sometimes getting little or no feedback at all. I believe lots of ppl view our work but often regardless of how they feel they leave it to someone else to respond . I myself am guilty of this .

Also we all have subjects we are more familiar with and hence maybe more comfortable making a comment on . Some may view your painting and regardless of weather they like it or not , they may feel they know to little about the subject to pass comment on . And for me that would have been the case for this thread . I viewed it just now but had little to say as i wasnt familiar with what you had painted . Yes of course we see the colours and tones but feel we dont know enough about the subject to add to it .

Thats just my thought and by no means do i mean any offence by that .
I am sad to hear ppl treat you different when they hear your ill , that makes my blood boil ! I like the colour in your painting and dont find it uncomfortable at all .

gaykir
11-06-2011, 12:50 AM
I'm guilty...my initial thought was this is such a departure for you and since it was labeled vial #1, I was waiting to see more of them hoping I might then understand the concept of a new series. I always find your work interesting - now I understand the significance of the painting it has a lot more appeal. Just my personal thoughts.