PDA

View Full Version : Varnish for acrylic painting on wood

TheColorElectric
11-05-2011, 01:14 AM
Hi all! I just finished my first acrylic painting on a wood board...the wood has bark on the edges and some of the bark is starting to come off. I really want to find a way to seal the work so that the bark stays together because the bark adds just the touch I'm looking for. Any suggestions welcome, I really want to get this sealed quick before all the bark comes off. Also what should I seal the painting portion with?

Thanks!
Kathryn

Einion
11-05-2011, 05:39 AM
Hi Kathryn, there's no one ideal varnish for this kind of thing but if you think of it as a craft project then I'd recommend polyurethane varnish. If you think of it as fine-art work, then I'd recommend varnishing it* exactly as you would for a piece on canvas or panel, using a spirit-soluble varnish sold for use use on paintings (see prior threads for more on the method{s}).

*The front face at least.

A normal coat of varnish might help somewhat with the bark coming off but it won't stop it I'm afraid. A really thick application (four or more coats) of polyurethane could well be enough to consolidate that portion but you run the risk of the edges looking a bit like they've been coated in plastic or resin, which they sorta would be :)

Einion

TheColorElectric
11-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'm going to research spirit-soluble varnishes today, normally I use Liquitex gloss medium and varnish on my paintings but I"m worried that it might warp the wood because it takes a long time to cure. I think I'm also going to just remove the bark, the work will still look beautiful without it and I can't have bits falling off because it's being posted for sale online.

Thanks again!!
Kathryn