PDA

View Full Version : Different Strokes, a forum challenge: November 2011

PattiLou
10-31-2011, 08:35 PM
Welcome to theNovember 2011 edition of Different Strokes.

If you would like to host a Different Strokes, please see the Schedule thread here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864282) - it is a sticky near the top of the main forum page.

Please read the guidelines below carefully.

GUIDELINES:
On the first of each month a reference photo (or photos) will be posted in a thread entitled "Different Strokes".

Artwork can be any size on any surface but MUST be acrylic.
Each member interested in taking the challenge will create a painting using the chosen reference(s) (whole or cropped)
and on the 20th of each month participants will upload their interpretation of the reference for discussion within this thread, finished or not.
Be as inventive, creative and different as you wish!

PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD WORK TO THE THREAD BEFORE THE 20TH OF THE MONTH.**

At the end of the month the thread /discussion will be closed and a new challenge will begin.

**Please note, the single 'reveal' date is chosen so that we do not influence each other with our individual interpretations ......
that's the whole point of it being called 'Different Strokes'!

THIS MONTH'S REFERENCE

Both images are mine taken in Teton National Park. We set the alarm clock real early one morning to see the sun come up at Oxbow Bend... so did a bunch of other photographers. :lol: A good location was hard to find. The sun was rising behind us and the sky had a slight pink cast. We waited longer for more color but fog started setting in.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2011/125378-WY_TetonNP_OxbowBend-s.jpg

Instead of more color this is what we got to see.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2011/125378-fogOxbowBend.jpg

Feel free to crop, add things, move things, change the composition, etc. I didn't have that choice with the camera. Paint one or both!

The main 'rule' is to enjoy what you try - and if you just want to crop/enlarge/emphasise any particular aspect of the reference in your own way, and paint that, that too is fine!

Have fun!

PattiLou
10-31-2011, 08:39 PM
Sorry Maureen, don't think of it as a rock... it's just a big shape.:D

I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone paints this well known location. By the way, the mountain is named for Thomas Moran, an American western frontier landscape artist. It is part of the Teton Range.

JFountain
11-01-2011, 09:26 AM
I love this picture

artastic
11-01-2011, 09:38 AM
beautiful scene, I really want to try this one

Charlie's Mum
11-01-2011, 10:25 AM
OMG Patti - I have to paint a HUGE rock? :lol:
Gorgeous pictures - I like both versions so I'm in a quandary!!!

Thanks for the challenge of the 'ROCK'!!! ;)

Shirl Parker
11-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Patti,

I'll give you a sad story to go with these photos:

Back in the day, I moved to Phoenix and a girlfriend and her two young children went with me. We were trying to find jobs and I went to the state employment service and interviewed with a company that was looking for employees for the summer in Grand Teton National Park. They offered me a job, first going to San Francisco for learning their payroll system, and then going to the Park for the summer. My friend said Oh No, you can't leave me here, and I turned the opportunity down. A month later she took off to marry the reason she had come with me all along. Major turning point in my life.

halthepainter
11-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Patti a wonderful photo. I'll have a go at it this month also.

PattiLou
11-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Good to see some familiar faces and a few new. I was worried that I scared everyone off... like Maureen.:lol:

JFountain, I hope this means you are joining us??? Would love for you to join in the fun.

Good for you Bonnie, maybe you can teach me something!

Oh Maureen, you paint everything well, at least everything I've seen.

Sorry about your sad story Shirl. That would have been an interesting job and all that beautiful scenery to enjoy. I hope you are joining us.

Welcome aboard Hal. Keep us posted on how you are doing. You can cheer me on.

Linee
11-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Ooooo...pretty. I'm painting a Christmas present right now, but I'll have to tuck this ref away.

PattiLou
11-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Oooh, someone is going to be lucky at Christmas! I hope you have time to join us Linda.

PattiLou
11-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Because I am such a slow painter I decided I better start as early as possible. I am using a 20" x 16" Ampersand Pastel Board. I have used one before and they have an interesting feel... and really soak up the paint until you have a good layer down. I placed a few sketch lines (very few) and have that first layer of blocked in color. Looks pretty bad!:lol:

Anyone else start?

trevors
11-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Anyone else start?

Yep and mine looks really bad:confused:

scottsart
11-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Can anyone tell me how to glaze that foggy look over most of the canvas if painting the second scene? Would it just be a light glaze of one of the whites?

PattiLou
11-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Hi Scott,
I have never painted fog or mist so I would have to experiment. I have always liked Robert Bateman's work, he uses fog and mist in several of his paintings. I remember reading an article one time where he explained something about it but I can't find it right now.

Try experimenting on a scrap of something. If I were trying it I would probably use Liquitex Slow Dri Blending Medium with a tiny smidgen of Zinc white added. Zinc white is not as opaque as Titanium. You could use it with just water but the blending medium would give you more time to "blend" and thin the fog.

I'm sure someone will have more ideas.

marionh
11-04-2011, 05:56 AM
What wonderful photos. How can I resist?

PattiLou
11-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Glad you are joining us Marion.:wave:

PattiLou
11-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Did you all remember to change your clocks? We did.

I put a few more daubs of paint on the panel... still looks ugly though.:lol:

paznbaz
11-06-2011, 08:42 PM
wow! love the picture so much I painted it in four hours, quickest painting I've
ever done. now.... not to touch it until uploading time because that's when it all gets ruined, so I walk through my garage with closed eyes (almost)

ArtsyFellow
11-06-2011, 10:43 PM
I have not posted on Wet Canvas in several years as I was concentrating more on writing. Am now convinced I may be better at art. I've had much success doing fog with repeated thin glazes of toned-down titanium white airbrushed over the background. Straight titanium is too bright and ruins the effect. Mix with a little payne's gray and something warm for this particular scene. I may give a go at next month's challenge.

PattiLou
11-06-2011, 10:47 PM
4-hours?!!?!! Wow, now you have time to help me with mine.:D So, do you have any tips for painting faster? I can't seem to do that and then I also have the problem of never being satisfied, so I piddle. Which of course makes things worse than they were. :o

I'm really looking forward to seeing your painting. Glad you are joining us.

PattiLou
11-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Hi Keith, we posted at almost the same time. You have plenty of time to join us this month if you want. Would love to have you join in, everyone is welcome. Only rule is to use acrylic. We are a friendly lot, so do consider joining.

ArtsyFellow
11-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks Patty. Schedule's pretty tight this month, as well as next considering the holiday seasons. Time is always fleeting, but I'll see what I can manage. Hope to get back into the forums here. I've always enjoyed the people and the comraderie.

Charlie's Mum
11-07-2011, 08:43 AM
It's always nice to see new faces coming into the forum and joining the challenge - the more the merrier!!! :D

Patti- can't see the daubs of paint - your 'clock' looks the same as it does everytime I see your post!!!!! :lol:

PattiLou
11-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Patti- can't see the daubs of paint - your 'clock' looks the same as it does everytime I see your post!!!!! :lol:

You are not supposed to see my daubs of paint yet.:lol: Hopefully they will look better when I do post.:crossfingers:

My clock??? Do you mean the time I post or am I being dense again?:o

paznbaz
11-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Hi Patti
No secrets to painting faster, just when it all goes right you fly. Like you I tend to want to just touch up this bit then that bit then aaaarrrrggghhh! so I don't care what needs fixing this time NO TOUCHING!

Charlie's Mum
11-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Patti - over here, the face is often referred to as 'your clock'!!! :lol: .... therefore, no visible daubs of paint on your clock - (face!:lol:)

PattiLou
11-08-2011, 07:20 AM
paznbaz... maybe you should turn it backwards on your easel so you won't be tempted. :lol: Stay strong!!!

Oh, I see Maureen. Can't wait 'til my company leaves so I can get back to painting more daubs that you can't see. :angel: We are having a nice visit... but I just want to paint.:o

Warren Peterson
11-08-2011, 08:54 AM
I saw Bateman do this on a movie about his life. He mixes up a very liquid light grey/white in a jar and pours it directly on the picture. He then spreads this with a sponge to create the mist, tapping the picture surface with the sponge to lift off excess etc. He did this on a painting that was on masonite.

I dry brush mist using a worn brush with diluted paint and scumble it in the area. Have to work fast. I typically have to lightly wipe off several areas wit a dry cloth as I go along.

Another trick is to get a clean, lint free cloth, make a ball and dab on diluted greyish paint and quickly spread in the selected area using motion to simulate direction of mist etc. Highlight selected areas with whiter paint after it drys.

Try it on something you won't miss first. It takes practice.

PattiLou
11-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks Warren for explaining how you create fog/mist. Also for the information about Bateman. I remember reading an article about it... probably from this same film. If my memory is right he said when it came time to add the fog it was scary because you just finished creating a good painting and were about to add this layer that could ruin it.

One more day of company and then I can get back to the studio.:clap:

Charlie's Mum
11-09-2011, 01:16 PM
It's nice when members share info - thank you Warren :D

trevors
11-09-2011, 03:28 PM
scary because you just finished creating a good painting and were about to add this layer that could ruin i
I think that every time I put paint and brush to a surface! And every stroke makes it worse, if I could only leave it after the first stoke:rolleyes:

Charlie's Mum
11-09-2011, 04:44 PM
:lol: :lol: Trevor ;)

PattiLou
11-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Funny Trevor.:lol:

I was trying to tackle my mountain today until I got interrupted to help hubby, so that was the end of painting for today.

trevors
11-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Right I'm ready and waiting for the 20th I even put it away so I can't mess it up any further!

Charlie's Mum
11-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Phew Trevor - 6 whole days early!
Better start thinking about mine then!;):lol:

PattiLou
11-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I have good intentions, but life keeps getting in the way.:lol: Guess I should have started last month or we need a later reveal date.:D

trevors
11-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Phew Trevor - 6 whole days early!
Better start thinking about mine then!;):lol:
You still have time to do three more then Maureen:D

trevors
11-15-2011, 02:48 PM
I have good intentions, but life keeps getting in the way.:lol: Guess I should have started last month or we need a later reveal date.:D

I only have her indoors to consider and then I can do what I like ( as long as she lets me) You can do it Patti :thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
11-15-2011, 04:41 PM
I only have 'He-who-should-be-obeyed-but-seldom-is' to stop me - oh! and Charlie for his walks!!!!! :lol: ...... still can't find time:rolleyes:
Maybe tomorrow .........
v
v
v
v
v

and maybe we should just choose the end of the month for the reveal? :lol:

PattiLou
11-15-2011, 06:28 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
He who "thinks" he should be obeyed is usually wrong... but I put up with him anyway!:angel:

I just had a major temper tantrum in the studio and gessoed over everything. :eek: For some reason I am having trouble getting some (not all) paint to stick. I can't tell if it is a certain color or what since they are mixed. I usually use Liquitex and I'm out of a couple colors. Really frustrated here because it is not the first time I have painted mountains and I would rather paint mountains than some other things I am not comfortable with. *sigh* Tomorrow is another day and I will start over.

Linee
11-15-2011, 09:28 PM
I printed a copy, but that doesn't mean a thing. :cool:

paznbaz
11-16-2011, 05:27 PM
C'mon ladies, if Trevors and I can finish you can too, calm, calm, calm. No need to panic....................until the 19th.

PattiLou
11-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Ooooh, that is just plain mean.:lol: I'm to stuffed to paint right now, we dined at the Olive Garden for my birthday dinner... had Seafood Alfredo. Don't think I will be needing a snack and I even brought half of it home.:D

Charlie's Mum
11-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Leftovers for lunch today then Patti? - tho' seafood on the second day may be not so good!

Just finished another dog (watercolours) and it went to it's new home yesterday, so maybe now I can start? Maybe ............. :D

PattiLou
11-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Leftovers for lunch... yes... and it was good!!! Just zapped it in the microwave for a wee bit.

Right now my neighbors are cooking dinner for us.:thumbsup: They were having a problem with the TV so Jon went over to help fix it. I was painting at the time and he was gone for a while. After I cleaned my brushes I went over to see how they were doing... which was "not getting anywhere". So I sat down and started looking at things (read the manual, something men won't do, lol) and I fixed it. :lol: I'm a hero now and I don't have to cook dinner either. :D

Bruce Collins
11-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Argh, this photo reference is amazing. It's too bad I caught on to this challenge too late. I think I will give it a try anyway when my canvases come in the mail. Darn me. It has some mist to it as well....this is gonna be fun. :D *saved to desktop*

PattiLou
11-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Hi Bruce, you still have time... all the way to the end of the month. Almost everyone paints faster than me, mine is still not finished and won't be by tomorrow.:o So, if you get your canvas do join us, we would love to see what you do.

Charlie's Mum
11-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Finis; finished; done; complete; scanned and resized :smug: :smug:

Lol - now I'll probably forget to post it tomorrow ;)

Linee
11-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Things went quickly for me today. I'm done, too. Imagine that! :)

trevors
11-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Well not that I like to be first in anything but here is my effort, painted over the windmill and used the texture in the sky!
Seems a little blue on here I think the electronics have exaggerated it a little:eek:

Now what are we going to paint over it next month:confused:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2011/105971-Oxbow_Bend.jpg

Charlie's Mum
11-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Wow Trevor, that's a pretty OK painting, so perhaps it should stay as is and def. not be painted over next month!:) Keep it I say :D

Here's mine - it's approx 10x8" on acrylic textured paper using acrylic inks - and Oh-so-delicate for a change!!!!:wink2: :wink2:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2011/30494-Nov_11_Teton_NP_Patti_wc_size.jpg

See Patti, I painted all the 'rocks'!!:lol: thanks for the challenge:wink2:

PattiLou
11-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Ok, do you ever keep anything Trevor? I think this is quite good and you should find another canvas/paper to paint on next month. You should have kept your windmill too. :thumbsup:

Nice Maureen, you captured the pale early morning light. It may not be your bold colors but I like it. I still want some inks to play with... need to add them to my ever growing list of things I want.:lol:

I had a really bad headache yesterday and didn't do anything. I was beginning to think there was a hurricane around somewhere, that's when I get these headaches. I will keep plugging away... in between baking and etc. I was just told I had to make biscuits for Thanksgiving and he (a friend) didn't care if there was enough for anyone else as long as there was enough for him.:eek: :D

Linee
11-20-2011, 10:29 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2011/101851-img005.JPGb.jpg

Here's my contribution. I was so glad to take part again. 4x6 inch watercolor paper. I used Titanium white, Ultramarine blue, Pthalo blue, Cadmium yellow, Cadmium Red, and Magenta. I don't use magenta often, so that was fun.

Charlie's Mum
11-20-2011, 12:40 PM
That's a beauty Linda - nice crop too .... the water is so clear and cold - excellent and good to have you joining in again:)

Patti - tell your friend to make the biscuits, you need recuperation and painting time!!!;)

Linee
11-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks, Maureen. And thanks, Patti, for the great crop.

Trevor, cool blues. Maureen, nice summery feel (I miss that already).

old_hobbyist
11-20-2011, 03:42 PM
ITSO Cezanne
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2011/214919-acrylic-nov_2011-itso_cezanne-5.jpg

Sweeets
11-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Patti -- This is a beautiful photo. I have been loaded up with homework for a couple of college courses that I'm taking and have just started work today on this piece. Not sure if I will finish or not. In any case, I love looking at everyone's work and will be back in a couple of days to comment.

Carol

Linee
11-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Carol, nice fluid treatment. The water looks like glass.

Sweeets
11-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Ooops Linee ... I think you meant your complement for Old Hobbyist. (I haven't painted mine yet.) As much as I wish it was mine ... lol!

Linee
11-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Oooops...yes. :o
Looking forward to seeing yours, Carol.

paznbaz
11-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Well, here's my entry (the day when everything worked, for four hours ) 50cm x 60cm canvas

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee437/peebee44/novchallenge_compressed.jpg

Linee
11-20-2011, 05:55 PM
SO serene, paznbaz. :)

Imogene Thomas
11-20-2011, 08:23 PM
9X12 Acrylic canvas sheet .. Oxbow Bend, Grand Tetons
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2011/157219-IMG_0480.JPG

PattiLou
11-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Beautiful colors and painting Linda. You packed a lot in that tiny space.

old_hobbyist I think it is yours and better than Paul Cezanne, great colors too.

Carol join us when you can. I look forward to seeing it.

paznbaz... Very peaceful looking and you even included the fog rolling in, How cool is that?

Very nice JT, glad you joined in.

Such fun to see all of these with everyone's take on the colors and crop.

It's OK Maureen, he is a good friend and I will bake him some biscuits on Thanksgiving morning along with my pumpkin pies. After all they are cooking dinner, they invited us over since our daughter is going out of town. Nice to have good friends (like here on WC).:thumbsup:

gakinme
11-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Thank you, PattiLou, for the very serene looking photo references. I don't use acrylics often. Perhaps once a year and this week already twice so perhaps that's a beginning.

I must have spent an hour thinking how to paint this since I saw this photo this morning and wasn't getting anywhere. In the end, I used only a few colors.

I know acrylics once dried can't be removed but I didn't realize I couldn't patch light areas to make it uniform again for the sky. And only now I am learning how to lift watercolor, but I was too slow in lifting the fog.:lol: Then I decided to give the piece some interest in the foreground and scratched down to the white some houses and people and campfire and put in orange and yellow and blue and then realized how distracting it was. I covered it all with turquoise again and it still stayed there. LOL. I guess I really need to understand Golden liquid acrylics a bit more.

Stillman Delta 180 lb 7x10 inch sketchbook

It's been a long long lesson today with this piece. Usually, I do around 10 pieces on a weekend day but with these watermedia, my output is down to 3. :eek:

But it was a good challenge.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2011/86669-acrylics_nov_2011a.jpg

Trevor, I'm envious of the mountains you painted with such fogginess.

Marueen, your foilage is so simple yet so effective!

Linda, the many layers of colors you must have put on the mountain and the promontory! And I like that sunny valley you put in. It adds so much more interest to the piece.

Old hobbyist, lovely sky and above all, I love the bold colors of the mountain. Such a good contrast to the foreground.

paznbaz - beautiful mountains. They look golden and waking up. There is so much to explore in your piece, especially the evergreens on the left! Each tree has beautiful shape.

JTMathis, the mountain has such romantic colors and so does its reflection!

Linee
11-20-2011, 10:44 PM
JT, love that mountain range.
Sandra, it's like looking through a special lens, surreal and dreamy.

paznbaz
11-21-2011, 01:20 AM
It's great to see the variety of colours and styles in these paintings. I see lots of little touches I might pinch.

paznbaz
11-21-2011, 01:37 AM
Ha! Read the instructions and I learned how to upload images instead of sending people on a goosechase

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2011/979439-nov_challenge_compressed.jpg

trevors
11-21-2011, 06:30 AM
Thanks Maureen I have put it aside for the moment but not altogether convinced!
I like the delicateness of yours almost watercolour , I might have to try those inks!:clap:

Patti Thanks for the encouragement and I will see if I can find something else to paint over just for next month though!
I don't save much although I do have a shed load of stuff I ought to do something with but occasionally I have a nice bonfire and I am getting about due again!

Linda Almost photographic and very good:thumbsup:

OH I like your style quite striking and looks like evening light:wave:

paznbazThats very fast work and I like it a lot, as Linda said serene.:thumbsup:

Sandra Nice to see you around again:wave: As you say acrylics are totally different to other media and take some getting to grips with, I do like the light effects you have achieved almost luminous and quite attractive:thumbsup:

paznbaz Gooschases are the only exercise I get these days other than jumping to conclusions :rolleyes:

If I have missed anybody let me know cos even if I don't comment due to lack of time I always am interested in what you all do:clap:

Charlie's Mum
11-21-2011, 11:29 AM
O_H - I like the Cezanne-like interpretation.

JT - that's a very peaceful, serene scene.:)

Sandra - I like the ghostly night view of the scene. Glad you could join us.:)
Liquid acrylics are very transparent and saturated, so won't cover other colours easily - they'll layer transparently:)
If you mix white with them, they'll be more opaque.

paznbaz - this is gorgeous!
I love that crystal clear water - and the distant mountains - well, all of it really!:D
Have you a first name we can use?:)

Thanks for the comments on mine everyone :D

paznbaz
11-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Thank you Trevor
Thank you Maureen for your kind comments, the name is Paul

Kat5
11-21-2011, 08:20 PM
:eek: For some reason I am having trouble getting some (not all) paint to stick. I can't tell if it is a certain color or what since they are mixed. I usually use Liquitex and I'm out of a couple colors.

Well Patti Lou I just went to the art supply store the other day and returned a few of my Liquitex colours: blues and yellows. The store owner said that I wasn't the only one, lots of people were haveing problems with those colours. Usually I have no problems with them. A bad batch maybe? Don't get me wrong I like the brand and would still reccommend and use them. Just wondering if this may be your problem also.

Wow everyone hase done a fab job with the reference this month! :thumbsup: I havent had time to participate - hopefully next month I will.

gakinme
11-22-2011, 02:20 AM
Thank you, Trevor, Maureen, Linee, for your comments. So liquid acrylics are more transparent. Alright, I'll remember that from now onwards.

Charlie's Mum
11-22-2011, 07:47 AM
Hi Paul :D:wave:

Rajashree Chanda
11-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Will try...will try...a beautiful reference...

PattiLou
11-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Hi Sandra, boy that looks cold, brrrrrr. Yes liquid acrylics are usually more transparent than the heavy body. You would have to keep layering to get more coverage.

Kat... I don't think it is the paint. I think it is me, I keep experimenting and trying to paint like "someone" else. I should just be me and forget about all the "painterly" things I read. Ok... need to reinforce that, just paint and get on with it.:D :lol:

Hello Rajashree Chanda and a big welcome. Hope you do get to join us, we are a friendly bunch.:wave:

Sweeets
11-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Thank you, Patti, for hosting this month! Mine still needs more work, but I won't get to it until after the Thanksgiving holiday, so here it is. The colors are much better in real life, for some reason they look more garrish here, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2011/47564-Mountain_Lake_4.jpg

Sweeets
11-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Trevor - Very nice brushwork. I had the same problem with it looking too blue when posted. Nice job.

Maureen - It looks like a delicate watercolor. This is a good subject for that style. You really captured the light.

Linda - You really did a great job on the mountain details (not easy to do) -- they look fabulous. The entire piece is beautiful.

Old Hobbyist - Very interesting mood that you created. Your style reminds me of Cezanne.

JTMathis - I love the way you did the mountains and like Maureen, you really captured the light.

Sandra - So creative! It looks like a scene viewed through infrared goggles. Nice job.

Paznbaz - Yours is a lovely rendition with soft light and subtle colors. Wow, you really know how to do trees! Beautiful job overall.

PattiLou
11-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Carol... I really like the long format. What size is it? I always have to adjust my colors to get them closer to the actual painting, I think everyone does some adjustments. The blues in yours look real good on my monitor.

Charlie's Mum
11-22-2011, 05:16 PM
It's lovely Carol and I really like the long landscape format - suits it!

I usually have to adjust colours/saturation after scanning or photo'ing too.

paznbaz
11-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Lovely clean bright colours Carol. Now I want to do a panoramic view of something. See what you've done now?

Hi Maureen

Paul

Sweeets
11-22-2011, 06:12 PM
I forgot to give the dimensions -- it's acrylic paint on a 12 inches by 36 inches cradled board.

I used both Lightroom and Paint Shop Pro to adjust the color/saturation of the original photo ... but both came out very bright blue/green. I'll have to do a little research to see what isn't working. I even tried saving the jpeg file in different color schemes (sRGB, Adobe RBB, etc.) and that didn't work.
Oh well!

:o

Linee
11-22-2011, 08:05 PM
I like that panoramic view, too. Gives the eye room to travel and explore. :) Nice treatment, too.

gakinme
11-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Carol, it does have a very grand panoramic feel to it. Perfect for a geography book.

trevors
11-23-2011, 07:24 AM
Lovely work Carol :thumbsup:

PattiLou
11-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Good size Carol. I did a 6"x24" one time and like the long format. You do need to use sRGB for the internet or the colors will look wonky on other monitors. Other color spaces are more for printing.

I need to go get busy in the kitchen and get my pie baking finished. I hope everyone who celebrates Thanksgiving will have a nice day with family and friends and remember what we are thankful for.

Charlie's Mum
11-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Carol - I read recently that we should do all adjustments before saving to jpeg - so in PSP use a psp file ext. first ........ not sure it makes much difference, but it came from someone/somewhere more knowledgable than I! :lol:

Maybe a challenge could be to use a very different format sometime :D

JFountain
11-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Sorry I'm late this month been really busy I will post my painting on Mon if I can get it finished HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL. I love the work this month great job by everyone

PattiLou
11-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Carol - I read recently that we should do all adjustments before saving to jpeg - so in PSP use a psp file ext. first ........ not sure it makes much difference, but it came from someone/somewhere more knowledgable than I! :lol:

Maybe a challenge could be to use a very different format sometime :D

Some cameras only save jpeg. You should always work on a copy of the original in case something goes wrong... you can copy it again and start over. A jpeg will deteriorate each time you open, make changes and then save. If you just open it and close it there is no harm and I doubt you would notice anything on what we post here. For printing you may see jpeg artifacts.

A 'different format' challenge sounds interesting. Go for it!:D

WooHoo!!! Pies are done, look and smell good. Gotta stay out of them.:lol:

JFountain... you still have a few more days until the end of the month. Do enjoy your Thanksgiving, you can paint the next day while you recover from all the food and company.:evil:

JFountain
11-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Finally got it done sorry i'm late again. Went a little outside the box with this one. :) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2011/775222-different_strokes_nov_11_001.jpg

PattiLou
11-28-2011, 05:34 PM
It's snowing :clap: Nice "outside the box" and it looks like a Christmas card. I wouldn't mind seeing the Tetons in the snow... I just don't like driving on it.:D

I'm gathering all the entries to make a gallery. Still working on mine but it is coming along much better than in the beginning.

Two more days... if anyone else has something to post, there is still time.

Who's up for December??? I'm ready for a change of scenery.:lol:

paznbaz
11-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Bring it on Patti, although it could be a bit busy over the next month for some reason.

JFountain
11-28-2011, 05:39 PM
:)Trevor Love the cool pallette really nice:) Charlies Mum Very nice looks like a water color painting really warm:clap: Linee Lots of depth nice job:o Old hobbyist Very cool love the colors good job:wave: JT Mathis Very nice love the shadows and the light;) gakin me Nice makes me think of winter time:thumbsup: paznbaz Looks soreal trees are beautiful:cool: Sweeetz Beautiful work love the reflections and especially the boat way cool.

JFountain
11-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks PattiLou it snowed so hard in Oct. in pa thats all i've been thinking about lately I love snow.

PattiLou
11-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Bring it on Patti, although it could be a bit busy over the next month for some reason.
Paul... someone else will host December, but I don't remember who. Hosts are always needed if you would like to host sometime. Here is a link to the schedule (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864282) if you are interested.

I just checked and see JFountain is hosting December... looking forward to it.

Rajashree Chanda
11-29-2011, 01:38 AM
Sorry for being so late...did one...didn't like it much though....still loved the idea...:)

JFountain
11-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Rajashree your painting is beautiful good job. I love the mountains and the flowers were a nice touch.

PattiLou
11-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Nothing to be sorry about Rajashree... you still have one more day by my time. :lol: I also like the wildflower addition and the mountains look rugged like they are supposed to look. Hope you join us again.

Rajashree Chanda
11-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks JF
Patti thanks that you liked...I'm rather bad in painting sceneries with acrylic but trying hard....will surely join you all in the next venture....:)

Rajashree Chanda
11-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Linda....yours is amazing...

Linee
11-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks, Rajashree, and everyone else for the nice comments.
Rajashree, I really like yours, especially the colors and reflections in the water.

Rajashree Chanda
11-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks Linda...I'd like to improve on landscapes in acrylic...

PattiLou
11-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Rajashree I don't think you are really bad. I'm never satisfied with mine and I still keep doing them. Practice is good... so I still practice.:lol:

PattiLou
11-29-2011, 11:19 PM
I thought I would post the gallery before I get busy tomorrow and forget.
You all deserve a round of applause. :clap: :clap: :clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2011/125378-page1-Nov2011.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2011/125378-page2-Nov2011.jpg

Thanks to everyone for painting with me this month.
Can't believe this month has gone by so fast.
I am almost finished but keep getting pulled away from the studio for other things.:o I will post as soon as I finish and photograph it.

JFountain
12-01-2011, 03:36 AM
Welcome to the December 2011 edition of Different Strokes.

If you would like to host a Different Strokes, please see the Schedule thread here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864282) - it is a sticky near the top of the main forum page.

Please read the guidelines below carefully.

GUIDELINES:
On the first of each month a reference photo (or photos) will be posted in a thread entitled "Different Strokes".

Artwork can be any size on any surface but MUST be acrylic.
Each member interested in taking the challenge will create a painting using the chosen reference(s) (whole or cropped)
and on the 20th of each month participants will upload their interpretation of the reference for discussion within this thread, finished or not.
Be as inventive, creative and different as you wish!

PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD WORK TO THE THREAD BEFORE THE 20TH OF THE MONTH.**

At the end of the month the thread /discussion will be closed and a new challenge will begin.

**Please note, the single 'reveal' date is chosen so that we do not influence each other with our individual interpretations ......
that's the whole point of it being called 'Different Strokes'!
By all means ask questions in the thread or initiate discussion about the challenge - just don't post images!!!:)

THIS MONTH'S REFERENCE
Don't forget, you may crop, choose a section or detail, enlarge, develop this reference in any way you feel is creative!
This photo was taken in Sedona AZ I hope you all have fun with it. I put two pictures this month one so you decide.
Have fun!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2011/30494-Banner_ac_ink_works_nov_11.jpg Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=361) Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=133) Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=9)
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=329)**Reference Image Library (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/) ** My Painting Expressions. (http://maureenw.redbubble.com/works)