PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with Derwent 38 pastel collection

Grizabella
10-30-2011, 10:22 PM
I bought the Derwent 38 Pastel Collection in the tin and was disappointed when, on looking closely at it after I got home, I found that most of the pastel pencils in the set are duplicates of each other, so in actuality, I only got about half the colors I thought I was getting. Is this standard with the Derwent sets?

robertsloan2
10-31-2011, 02:41 AM
Oh that's frustrating. Was this the Color Collection or something else, a gift set? I know that sometimes they package the same products in gift sets. Pastels they don't have a big range, it's 36 colors and a mixing white. Pastel pencils the range is 72 though but they will only put some of them in a 38 color gift set.

the drover's dog
10-31-2011, 03:59 AM
Well, if it happened to me, I'd take them back and demand a refund. If I bought a 36 colour set I'd expect 36 individual colours. What good are duplicates? It's bad enough that their colourfast ratings are poor, without this added insult to our intelligence.

Dale

Grizabella
10-31-2011, 05:27 AM
I thought of taking them back, but they were sealed when I bought them and I didn't keep the receipt. It's a set that contains pastel pencils, pastel sticks, a couple erasers, a sandpaper thing, a stump and a sharpener, all in a tin. I got the set at Michaels. On the back there's a little swatch chart giving the order number of each pencil, but not the name of the color and there are no duplicates on that chart. I used the kneaded eraser because I didn't use the pencils at first so I didn't notice the duplications. All I can do is just take them back and see what they'll do, I guess, even if I did use the eraser.

Tom Perry
10-31-2011, 03:52 PM
I believe you bought one of the older sets offered before the newer blend was introduced. A full set of the older pastels contained 90 unique pencils containing tints and shades of 28 basic colors plus black, white and four shades of gray. The colors contained in your collection were chosen from these.

The pencils have a basic color and number. The number is additionally coded with The letter B, D, F or H. The Black and white pencils Have only the letter B. The French Grey have the letters B, D, F and H with H being the lightest tint.

The rest of the colors all use a B, D, or F with B the darkest and F the lightest.

Although the pastel stick blend was changed the number of colors still remain 36.

I much prefer the way the newer blend of pastels handles but I would not give up my full set of the older ones.

I've found my Derwent artist materials to be of fine quality and the folks at Derwent have been very helpful in addressing the few problems I've experienced in using their products. So if you really do have duplicate pencils and Michaels will not make it right you might contact Derwent for assistance.

Here is a link to the Derwent Site:

http://www.pencils.co.uk/default.aspx

I've found that Michaels as a rule does not have low prices and am reluctant to buy from them unless I have a 50% off coupon. Of course I live 15 minutes from a Jerry's brick and mortar store. I've found that generally Jerry's, Dick Blick and others can even beat the 50% off coupons from Michaels with their every day prices.

I'm sure that even counting the shipping cost with an on line purchase you can beat Michaels prices.

I'm not sure whether this post helps you or just ticks you off. But I do wish you luck in resolving your problem.

Grizabella
10-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Thank you for your help. I did use a coupon at Michael's for the set but I often order from ASW or Jerry's. It all depends on whether I want to wait for delivery, although usually I pay for expedited shipping from ASW and Jerry's.

That's a good suggestion to contact Derwent if I don't get satisfaction from Michael's.