PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Golden Open along with regular acrylics?

MG_NYC
10-30-2011, 02:35 AM
I'm mostly using oil these days, but I like the ability to 'draft' fine details with acrylics. My problem with acrylics is shading or subtle gradations along large planes. For example, in a portrait, acrylics would be suited to painting finely detailed eyes, but no fun for a smoothly contoured forehead.

So I was considering a mix of my regular Golden and WN acrylics with Open for shaded areas. Rather than double up palette space, I thought that it may be OK to just buy colors that are used pure or in higher volume. IOW white, maybe earth colors. But I'm not sure about others yet (I don't paint much in acrylics, and when I'm painting, I really don't think about this kind of thing).

Is anyone doing this? What colors did you end up with?

Also, any outstanding problems other than tinting strength?

Yellow Ogre
10-30-2011, 10:40 AM
My observations: By themselves , the Golden Open paints dry much slower than regular acrylics. But if you mix with other acrylics or water, the slow drying advantage goes away. If you paint outside on a warm day, the drying time is sped up considerably as well.

PattiLou
10-30-2011, 10:56 AM
I have used both together. The Opens stay wet much longer, too long for me. Watch when you try adding a layer, even the next day it lifted some of the previous days work. Good luck.

ann chavez
10-30-2011, 11:22 AM
i use Open white to mix with my sennelier acrylics, and those mixtures always stay open longer than the senneliers by themselves.

PierceClark
10-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Hi all, I'm new here. Just joined today.
Two days ago, I primed a panel (Ampersand, gesso) with regular acrylics. Used the hairdryer on it, so I could go right in with the Open. I use Opens like I used to use oils. Nice thing, however, about Opens is that, after I got the first stage done; I used the hairdryer again, and viola! Dry layer (in Opens). I'm off for the next stage!

PierceClark
10-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Here's the one I did previously, in Opens. Lovin acrylics, Donna
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2011/31962-Morning_Meditation,_12x12_acrylic_landscape_PierceClark2011.jpg

MG_NYC
10-30-2011, 11:49 PM
I have used both together. The Opens stay wet much longer, too long for me. Watch when you try adding a layer, even the next day it lifted some of the previous days work. Good luck.
Very good point, and I was concerned about that. I had the exact same experience when trying to use one of the slow-dry mediums with regular acrylics. I don't remember that ever happening to that extent with oils.