PDA

View Full Version : Snow Scenes

Dcam
10-29-2011, 04:36 PM
I was thinking about, and looking forward to painting some snow scenes and this is how my back yard looks today.....in October no less. We already have about 5 inches and still coming down hard in the Northeast.
Hi you guys,
Derek :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2011/183894-aaflurry.jpg

DBfarmgirl
10-29-2011, 05:07 PM
we only have about 3 inches here. Our roads don't look that bad either. interesting year for weather.... Happy Halloween

Post the snow paintings!

Ruthie57
10-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Brrrrrr :cool: I s'pose we'll get that next:( We tend to inherit the US east coast weather, albeit watered down somewhat.

Looks gorgeous from inside though doesn't it Herman :D

Dougwas
10-29-2011, 06:27 PM
:lol: And people call my country The Great White North? You can keep it, Derek. I am hoping for at least another four weeks of looking at my green grass.:D I just jinxed it. It will snow tomorrow for sure now.:(

Doug

adventureartist
10-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Please, sand it ALL here, we need it!:wave:
But first do a few paintings!:D

Dcam
10-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Sharen: It seems we are in the right "band" for this weather.

Ruthie Lee: You brits always get the rain.....I was born in Dumfriess (I know).

Doug: Now look what you've done....:lol:

Dcam
10-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Now Drusilla: You said "Sand" it all here....is that a pun? (sanded surface). :lol:
Ok I'll send it UPS.
Derek

robertsloan2
10-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Derek, that's a gorgeous reference photo! Can't wait to see your snow scenes done in plein air. It's a little monochrome but snow scenes sometimes are on overcast days.

I hope this thread turns into a place where everyone who lives in Snowy Places posts their snow photos!

I moved to California and can never forget what the snow was like. Even in Arkansas I got snow in the winter. So I'm sitting here happy with temperature highs in the 70s and 50s at night, pretty sunlight blazing down the hall from the street end window, glad I don't live where you do, Derek. Or anyone else getting early Snow.

But the photos are very pretty. I enjoyed snow when I got to stay in and the heat was high enough sometimes, it depended on the pressure. I know some places I lived had beautiful views - the first place I lived in New York did. So get out with your cameras when the white stuff comes down. Show me what I'm missing!

I had a couple of earthquakes but nothing fell down or changed afterwards so they weren't really photo ops.

Lynndidj
10-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Wow Derek - you kids on the east coast just keep getting the extreme weather. Lovely to look at - hopefully you are fully recovered now from the previous flooding?

Lynn

Dcam
10-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Hi there Robert, I love my 4 seasons, and being a teacher for many years....snow days are great.

Lynn: we will probably lose our power tonight. :(
derek

DAK723
10-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Not snowing at all here in Rochester...but I know we will get ours soon enough (and a lot more than NJ gets) so I won't make any smart-aleck comments!

Don

robertsloan2
10-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Derek, it's spooky. I grew up in Minnesota and Chicago. Yet I never got even one Snow Day in all the years I went to school. My baby sister did - my grade school shut down for snow three days in the year after I left it, but my middle school didn't so I didn't get a snow day.

Then I went on to high school in a Chicago suburb only to find out that a year before they had lots of snow days - and not one was declared during my years there. While that same middle school had Snow Days as soon as my sister got into it.

It was just my bad luck. I envied everyone who ever got Snow Days. I know I'd have spent them painting, drawing and writing, getting a lot more productive than I ever did in school (other than in the Art Room or in Creative Writing class, that is.)

Of course with all the typical irony of Murphy's Law, my sister loved school and hated having Snow Days. So naturally she got all of them.

allydoodle
10-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Right now we're getting rain, and very high winds. No snow yet, though the night isn't over yet. Where is autumn? I didn't get to see it yet :(. Hurricane (or Tropical Storm, depending on where you are) Irene blew off almost all the leaves from the trees, so there's not much left to change color. After this storm, I'm thinking the trees will be bare. I guess no autumn this year :crying: .....

I hope you keep your power :crossfingers: Derek, it really stinks when it goes out (I know all too well how much fun that isn't). Hang in there....

bluefish
10-29-2011, 09:56 PM
We may not hear from Derek for awhile.....NY news said his area now has 15 inches and another 5 on the way tonight.....200,000 people are without power......1000 flights have been cancelled @ Newark Airport.....stores had to close early, massive traffic jams due to all the power loses....Northern NJ is overwhelmed.....the leaves were still on the trees and with the heavy, wet snow, power lines and transformers are down all over the place....we only had rain along the beach and very high winds......the warm ocean water protects us......'blue....

Dcam
10-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Hi Don: It is coming your way buddy:)

Wow Robert, you have been around. My son is praying for a snow day this Monday.

yes Chris; The trees are not as lovely in color this year....a dissapointment.

Blue; Don't sugarcoat it! :lol: How are you brother?

derek

Deborah Secor
10-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Can y'all just turn toward New Mexico and blow real hard? We'd be most grateful to have a bit of it.... It's cool and feeling like fall here, but we went for a walk after dinner this evening in light jackets.

Robert, you should have lived here! In Albuquerque when it looks like it might ice up the schools close! A half-inch will literally close everything--which amazes those of us who raised our kids in the mountains.

Turpintine45
10-30-2011, 01:43 AM
Wow Derek great picture but 15 inches of snow and more to come following all those floods. What did you guys up there do to upset God!
Take care and stay warm!

adventureartist
10-30-2011, 02:53 AM
Nope Derek, just a typo...I'm right handed, a's and e's are on the left, must have had a brain fart....
You get all the fun, snow is so rare here, I have to go 300 miles north (normally) to get any of that stuff! Our last heavy snow was three years ago and it was awesome. Tim and I four wheeled out first light, got to a lake and were able to hike to the stream that feeds it. Really a treat down here next to Mexico, nothing like driving/hiking on a foot of pristine snow!
I drive to Flagstaff for my snow and snowshoeing fixes....:D Do I need to send you some snowshoes? I happen to have an extra pair.

robertsloan2
10-30-2011, 03:22 AM
Derek, I hope you're all right. Of course you probably can't read this till it's over but I hope you're okay and still have power. That's so rough if you don't, hope you have plenty of wood or some other type of emergency heat source.

Blue and Chris, seems like you're not getting snow but rain almost as heavy. Good luck with it.

I'm glad to be here. Yep. I've been here and I've been there and I've been in between. Lots of places. I like this one best.

Colorix
10-30-2011, 05:01 AM
Brrrrr! We have had an unusually mild October, still lots of leaves on trees. And I'm at the level of Anchorage. No snow in sight.

DBfarmgirl
10-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Derek-
we only got about 4 inches of really heavy snow. It will probibly melt today. We live in a river valley I think the river temp. helped keep it warmer. The mountian on the other side of the river has alot of snow 2/3 of the way up.

My son LOVES snow days. We live partway up a hill and the driveway has a nice slope. I pack the snow down with the truck to make some wicked good sled riding. Yeah, I can't get my car out of the driveway until June, but the sled riding is great! No chance of a snow day here on monday, the roads never really got snow covered.

Your area has been getting rotten weather for too long now. Hopefully it will change back to normal soon. You deserve a week of no rain and sunshine!

Muffin_4377
10-30-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm with Doug....up here in the "Great White North" (actually only a couple hundred kilometers north of him) .... And yup...still no snow. It's been chilly, but we are still sitting well above 0 C during the day. I actually can't wait for some snow. I LOVE to plein aire in the winter!

"Snow days" - growing up in Northern Alberta, Snow days didn't exist. 5-10 inches of snow wasn't a big deal (granted we had a really dry snow, not like coastal regions) Our issues were with tempertures, and even then schools never shut down. If you could get there...the classes would run as normal. I can remember being in grade 2 or 3 and walking, about 1 km, to school in -40 C temps. Well more like waddled to school, cause of being so bundled up.

flowergirl
10-30-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm here in Vermont and the state got from a dusting to up to 16 inches. We got 9 1/2 but it's melting fast. Thank goodness! Worried about more flooding though. We've been through enough of that with Irene. At least we didn't lose electricity this time. That gets old really fast.
Did venture out this morning and took a few photos. Hoping to take a class with Robert Carsten next month on winter landscapes. Certainly an appropriate subject for Vermont! Plenty of reference photos in my file. This is from today. Hope you all can enjoy! (I'm not so much!)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2011/59895-October_Snow_2011_010.jpg

Cheers!:wave:
Sharon

flowergirl
10-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Here's a couple more from Vermont
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2011/59895-October_Snow_2011_014.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2011/59895-October_Snow_2011_013.jpg

Hope we all return to real Autumn weather now that that's out of our system for awhile (I hope).

I'm still hoping to get out kayaking for one last time!:crossfingers:

tulabula
10-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Well just got our first 1/4 inch of snow up here in the far north. It has been a long fall for us and we love it! Glad I am painting now, something to do on those long cold days/nights! I am not a cold lover anymore so no plein air for me!

Dcam
10-30-2011, 07:29 PM
So great to hear from all of you and love the Vermont pictures. The power just came on after about 16 hours. Boy do I love electricity!

:clap: derek

Lynndidj
10-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Love the photos - they are beautiful. Glad we just had rain here in Chicago today :-)

Derek - glad to hear the power is back on. You sure have had your share of stuff this past year.

Lynn

allydoodle
10-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Yeah :clap: for 'lectricity Derek! Gotta have it, can't live without it, yes I'm spoiled! Glad to hear you've got lights Derek, 16 hours is a looooooong time, I kn

ow (been there, done that....). We just got lots of rain and wind, the ocean often times keeps the storms from hitting us as hard as it does inland, though sometimes the ocean isn't enough, at which time we get hammered too.

It sure seems too soon for snow, I hope this is not an indication of things to come this winter.....

Judibelle
10-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Hi Derek...glad your power is back on! My daughter, in West Milford, got 19 inches . We, here in the Berkshires, got a good 15. Our lights flashed a few times, but the power stayed on. We do have a generator, though, so would be ok if the power did go off...

Judibelle
10-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Hi Derek...glad your power is back on! My daughter, in West Milford, got 19 inches . We, here in the Berkshires, got a good 15. Our lights flashed a few times, but the power stayed on. We do have a generator, though, so would be ok if the power did go off...

pastelrose
10-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Derek,
Beautiful photo. However, we can wait here in Southestern Wisconsin for the snow. I understand from the news that your tricks or treaters probably had to add boots to their costumes. But I know we will be getting our snowy weather soon enough.
pastelrose

Dougwas
10-31-2011, 11:30 AM
Glad your power is back, Derek. I remember three years ago when I was living further up north, it snowed three feet on October 29. It was unbelievable, but something like that can bring a town together. I had a neighbor and the manager of the tire store in town shovel our driveway, because they both knew I wouldn't be able to do it with my bad back. We used to get early snowfalls all the time, but it would melt away. Not that year. It was a loooooooong winter. Glad we are further south now.

Hope everything is going okay for you. Remember to leave that yellow stuff alone.;)

Doug

Kathryn Wilson
10-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Wow, I've been out of touch (house renovations) - Derek, snow on top of all that rain??? Hope it melts very slowly. It seems to have been a very strange weather pattern this year. We've had a beautiful October and then with this system, got cold all of a sudden.

Take care good buddy - make a snow angel for me :)

sketchZ1ol
10-31-2011, 02:27 PM
hello
Derek , Sharon , Judi
glad to read you are doing okay :)

my area caught a foot of the poo ,
and i went out four times overnite to shovel
b/c i knew it was wet stuff .
- slept thru the day .
> power held , and i had taken out lots of DVD's from the library ,
so i had soup/sandwich ;
crockpot potato/leeks/bacon ,
liverwurst/muenster on rye for bitters ,
and ' medicinal spirits ' along with the movies ...

i'm easily amused :evil: .

Ed :}

Dcam
10-31-2011, 05:17 PM
hi Judi: Thanks for stopping by.
Doug: I made some of that yellow stuff myself while shoveling.
Rose: Lots of "Puss in Boots" costumes. :lol:
Hey Kat and Ed: Nice to hear from you guys.
Kat: How about a snow devil?
Ed: watch that old back when you shovel. :)

Ruthie57
10-31-2011, 05:38 PM
Hey Dirk! Your area even made the BBC news in England tonight! Well, near the end of the bulletin anyway, lol.
We are due to get the weather front which dumped all that white stuff on you in the next few days. But it will have been warmed by the good ole Atlantic and will meet us as rain.

sketchZ1ol
10-31-2011, 06:07 PM
hello
Derek - waddah ya mean old , son . :lol:
thx :)

Ed :}

westcoast_Mike
10-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Around the end of the year I'm seem to always get a few cards in the mail with pictures of that white stuff. I guess one of these days I'll have to take a little trip to remind myself what it is. :evil:

bluefish
10-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Mike ......stay where you are.....it's nasty stuff and kills your back trying to get rid of it......you are well off where you are, believe me......been there....love it!:D

robertsloan2
11-01-2011, 02:21 AM
Glad to hear from you, Derek! It sounds brutal out there in New Jersey. Take care of yourself and keep warm. Yep. I've been around, I've lived all over the continent before I came home to the best place I've ever known. I like to see "weather" by proxy, especially when my WC friends are so good at photography.

Sorry the trees are all bare, Chris. That's rough.