PDA

View Full Version : PSA Annual Exhibit Numbers

Potoma
10-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Check out these numbers posted by Jimmy Wright on Facebook regarding the annual PSA exhibit each September. I always see it advertised, but never considered doing it. From this, it seems much friendlier, so to speak, than I imagined. Almost 1/3 were first time exhibitors and of them 1/4 were winners. The only thing he doesn't mention is how many people were submitted for jury, so I have that question pending.
Bonnie

www.pastelsocietyofamerica.org/

Jimmy Wright (Treasurer, PSA)
Please consider entering the 2012 40th PSA Annual! Now is the time to start building a body of work so that you can submit three of your best and most competitive images. Entry deadline will be approximately July 1, 2012 with the exhibition opening the first of September.

Take a look at these numbers on who entered and won prizes!!!

All awards are juried by three art professionals who are independent of PSA. The awards jury privately views the exhibition to make the awards.

Entries accepted 184

Pastels exhibited 180 (1 damaged in shipmt, 3 not received. One artist couldn't find the pastel that was accepted. I understand that when I look at my studio storage.)

1st time exhibitors 56

1st time winners 26

1st time exhibitor winners 14

2 out 3 top awards to 1st time exhibitors

6 out of top 14 awards were 1st time winners; 5 were 1st time exhibitors
The PSA Annual is open to any artist working in pastel. The 2012 prospectus will be posted Spring 2012. You can prepare by reading the requirements on the web site for the 2011 Annual. There will be few changes, if any, to the requirements for the 2012 Annual. Take a look at this years award winners on the PSA web site to get an idea of the quality of work that any artist will be competing with for entry into the show and for awards. Your three or less entries do not have to be the same subject but they should be the same level of skill. Showing two weak works with one strong work would cause the jury to suspect the strength of the artist.

Barbara WC
10-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks for posting this! I've never seen numbers indicating first time exhibitors for any show- it's great to see a good showing of first time exhibitors! :thumbsup:

I'm curious how many pieces of artwork were submitted.

Our county fair each year receives about 2,500 fine art entries, and 800 are accepted (numbers vary a bit each year), but generally, acceptance is about 30%.

A few weeks ago, I saw the California Watercolor Society annual show, and 725 paintings were entered, only 101 were accepted, that's 14% accepted.

I like to know the acceptance rate to know how likely it is that mine might be accepted- and how ready I need to be for possible disappointment :lol:

Edited to add: the juror for the CWA show this year had a statement which was a similar comment to what this of the PSA juror said about entering multiple pieces that have a similar skill level and style. I think jurors are looking for an artist's "artistic voice"

Thanks for sharing!

Potoma
10-28-2011, 11:25 AM
I'd already written and asked about total submitted. I'll let you know if he responds.

Potoma
10-28-2011, 11:26 AM
One of the PSV members responded about the cost. She's been accepted a number of times and it costs about $200 for the shipping and handling. She did sell one and it covered all the other shipping, though!

KariTirrell
10-28-2011, 08:02 PM
This year they said there were over 1000 entries and they accepted around 180. Last year they said over 1200 and they accepted 160 (I blogged it, so it was easy to look up ;)).

For me, shipping costs (round trip) both times was a little over $100 (including insurance). Then you have to pay the shipping agent $100.

Obviously, it's an expensive show to enter. I didn't win an award either time, so luckily I didn't enter it with that expectation.;) It's a big deal to get in, and you're hanging with such quality work that all of them are award worthy.

Potoma
10-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Thank you so much for responding with the numbers. Aren't blogs the best for personal record keeping?

I don't see a thing wrong with paying to hang with such quality!

allydoodle
10-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Every year the show is impressive, the paintings are always fantastic. Over the years I've had three paintings accepted into their annual show. I'm pretty local, so I just hand delivered the paintings each time, driving into the city, no real cost involved in that. I just wish it wasn't such a stressful drive, I hate the traffic, and just understanding the one way streets is enough to give me a nervous breakdown. Whenever I do go into the city for an event I take the train, much easier.

The last time I got in the show was 2004, and I haven't tried again. Had a baby, and somehow time got away from me. If I ever apply again and I'm accepted, I'll take the train and then taxi it from Penn Station. It has to be much easier. Back then I remember the numbers to be something like 1200 entries, and a little under 200 accepted. It sounds like the numbers haven't changed much. It's a very difficult show to get into, but it's definitely worth the effort I think. I've saved all the acceptance notes, as well as the programs from each show. It's nice to look back on.

I do think it's worth the shipping costs after seeing three different shows over the years. They were all impressive, and it sure feels nice seeing your painting hanging with such great works of art.

robertsloan2
10-29-2011, 01:17 AM
I think I have to be getting that kind of prices on my paintings before I could risk it. But it would be very cool to get in. I was tempted a couple of years ago and then I looked at the cost and thought, naw, I'll wait. I'll only be that much better for waiting. But what I'm doing now keeps coming closer to that mark. Besides, doing the street art will be extreme practice.