PDA

View Full Version : I need your help folks

jackiesimmonds
10-24-2011, 03:44 AM
not sure this is the right place for this question, but here I go anyway because all the paintings are pastels.

I recently put up a slideshow on my blog, after a whole day of attempts with different "services" on the internet which allow you to create a simple slide show, for use elsewhere - well, it is hosted by someone else,technically. Not something I produced cleverly myself, wish I knew how to do that. I had been inspired by one on Diane Johnsons' blog, and I had tried it her way, but it would not work for me. No idea why. In the end, I used something called "Smilebox".

Anyway, once it was up and running, it seemed to work OK, but ...wait for it , you are going to think I am nuts...it HURTS to watch. But perhaps it just hurts ME.

If anyone has a few moments to take a quick peek, and see if it hurts your eyes too, I would be most grateful.

thanks
Jackie
www.jackiesimmondsartyfacts.blogspot.com

the drover's dog
10-24-2011, 03:58 AM
I ended up a little motion sick Jackie! I think it would be better if the transitions were faster. It's the almost imperceptable jerkiness of the zoom that seems to be the problem. Can you go back into the gears and works and speed up the loading of the transitions? Maybe it looks okay with a cable internet connection? I'm stuck with a so-so broadband one as I live in the sticks so I may not be seeing the effect that everyone else is.

If I was going to put up a flash gallery I'd be using the free JAlbum. So many templates to choose from and super support from their developers and the forum. JAlbum will also host it for a small fee, or you can incorporate it onto one of your 10 fixed extra blog pages.

Dale

robertsloan2
10-24-2011, 04:08 AM
Yeah, when it's moving it's jerky and a bit startling. The art is wonderful though. I've got a decent wireless connection and it wasn't that bad.

Of course the art is breathtaking and you've got a cool new article up that I'm going to enjoy. Thanks!

Dharma_bum
10-24-2011, 04:37 AM
I have a fast cable connection, and agree with Robert, it is sort of unsettling, but the paintings are wonderful, really nice variety of work. Hope you can get it smoothed out. I'm not at all tech savvy, so can't give any advice in that department.

Dan

jackiesimmonds
10-24-2011, 05:21 AM
I ended up a little motion sick Jackie! I think it would be better if the transitions were faster. It's the almost imperceptable jerkiness of the zoom that seems to be the problem. Can you go back into the gears and works and speed up the loading of the transitions? Maybe it looks okay with a cable internet connection? I'm stuck with a so-so broadband one as I live in the sticks so I may not be seeing the effect that everyone else is.

If I was going to put up a flash gallery I'd be using the free JAlbum. So many templates to choose from and super support from their developers and the forum. JAlbum will also host it for a small fee, or you can incorporate it onto one of your 10 fixed extra blog pages.

Dale

Yeah, it was the motion sickness that got me too! Unfortunately, Smilebox give you no opportunity to change anything, you get wot you get.

thanks for the advice! I will go look at JAlbum. Fixed extra blog pages........??......gawd, so much to learn........

jackiesimmonds
10-24-2011, 05:22 AM
Yeah, when it's moving it's jerky and a bit startling. The art is wonderful though. I've got a decent wireless connection and it wasn't that bad.

Of course the art is breathtaking and you've got a cool new article up that I'm going to enjoy. Thanks!

cool new article? I posted something last week, and have prepared something else which will go out tomorrow. I thought you had commented on last weeks, Robert....confused here....

Jerky. Hmm. thanks for the compliments tho!

Dan, thanks for your input too. Looks like I might have to bin this one and try Dale's suggestion.

Colorix
10-24-2011, 05:43 AM
Jackie, do you use Photoshop or Elements to noodle with your pictures? In elements, you can make -- easily ! -- a slideshow gimp. Then insert it as a picture.

jackiesimmonds
10-24-2011, 07:28 AM
Ok decided to check if Smilebox would allow alterations, and got sucked into it again...........found out that I could not change the transitions in that particular choice of slideshow, chose another design, spent over an hour fiddling with that, got caught up in the fact that the new design would not allow portrait shape pics, got annoyed, finally found another design, and this one works, pics all the right size, and now there are too many but I cannot choose which ones to leave out. It also has music, nice, but slightly annoying in that it finishes before the pics do. Well, one can choose to turn it off.

Boy that was a long sentence. How to start the day.......not.

I have changed it on the blog for now.......but will look at what you suggested Dale, have a sneaky feeling I may end up producing loads of these damn things, I have the bit between my teeth now! and computer-generated-backache.

Jackie

the drover's dog
10-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Much better! So nice to see some of your paintings that I haven't sighted for a couple of years and I love, love, love the music. (which is rare for me. Most of it on the web puts my teeth on edge). But then I've always been a jazz fan.

Nothing wrong with this presentation now Jackie, except one pic has disappeared. Looked at it on auto and on click to advance and all looks good.

Ummm scratch that about the music.....left it playing while I typed this and like all these damn looped music things, the repetition is now getting on my wick. Could be a lot worse though and not everyone is going to leave it playing for 5 minutes. Just dings like me!

Dale

Kathryn Wilson
10-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Well, I enjoyed it - and the music did not bother me - but I missed the slide show that you had problems with and can't comment other than the paintings are beautiful and enjoyed seeing ones I had seen before again and then seeing ones that were new to me.

I wonder at the contrast of the black background though - does it bother anyone else? I got used to it after a bit, but at first it was hard to watch. Normally I love seeing pastels against a black mat, but this almost seemed too strong for your lovely paintings.

jackiesimmonds
10-24-2011, 09:20 AM
I am inclined to agree about the black, particularly for the darkest pics, but again, I dont think I had a choice, and actually, am not sure I have the patience to change it AGAIN. I will take a quick look, if it is an easy fix, I will do it.

Disappearing pic? How on earth? Oh, rats.

thanks for the feedback people! Most appreciated. So helpful.

Kathryn Wilson
10-24-2011, 09:22 AM
I can certainly understand if they don't give you options on the bg color - not a biggie - my only complaint is that I can't see them in person! :)

Colorix
10-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Waaaaayyy better!

Potoma
10-24-2011, 03:04 PM
I like it very much. Jackie, the box doesn't fit well in the sidebar. That's something on the blog that you should be able to correct.

I've been in a video-making mood, too, preparing for my show in December. For anyone else's reference, this is the free version of Animoto, with is about 30 seconds long and about 12 images. Mine's unfinished with only 8, but it is a starting point.

http://animoto.com/play/uQjml2qN7GpNSsCC81yfrQ

If you decide to do it and get a tiny url for it, beware that each edit creates a new website so use your favorite tiny url on your final edit.

jackiesimmonds
10-24-2011, 05:19 PM
good grief, I cannot win. I have just seen, on someone else's computer, that the box does not fit the sidebar, but I have no idea how to correct that.

Also,Charlie, yes, I have Elements...did not know one could do - easily - a slideshow. I have never fuond I can do anything"easily" in either Photoshop or Elements. Big learning curve for me, I have to do it over and over wrong before I get ANYTHING. Will take a look tho.

Potoma - nice. Not sure I can face trying anything else tho.

jackiesimmonds
10-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Charlie, you are SO RIGHT. I had a look at Elements, hit the "create" button, and within a few mins I had a slideshow. How incredibly ANNOYING. I spent HOURS AND HOURS on the other one.

Not sure I can face changing it all again on my blog. Also, full screen, some of the images look even more pixelated than they do on the Smilebox one. I saved the slideshow into the Elements photopane, not sure yet how to save it as a GIMP, will look tomorrow when I have a bit more energy but at first glance, it seemed only to offer me the option to save as a pdf file. ?

too tired now to fiddle with it further.

J

Colorix
10-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Jackie, for future use maybe, in Elements ordinary photo editor, you can add images in separate layers, and when you hit "save for web", you can choose gimp, and slideshow, and how many seconds a pic should show. gimp does give grainier pics, so the thing you wrestled with is probably a better option.

But the gimp is neat when the quality doesn't have to be perfect, like this (variations on green) neat for before-after pics, or stages of a painting:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2011/117343-B-Loop.gif

Deborah Secor
10-24-2011, 07:44 PM
I have yet to find a way to upload an animated loop from PSE to Blogger, however.

Lynndidj
10-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Jackie - it all worked perfectly on my computer, and I thought the paintings looked wonderful. I HEAR you on all of the technology stuff - it sucks time away from you like an enormous black hole. I did not see the first loop - but the corrected one is nice - and even the music ending and re-starting did not bother me.

Lynn

the drover's dog
10-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Jackie, in the Template design section of your blog dashboard, you can choose how wide you want the sidebar. The video on your current one does extend outside the page margin on my screen, but it didn't worry me too much. You might like to choose another template once all the bugs are out of the modernised version of the Blogger dashboard and associated templates. Right now I'd just kick back and say "so what?"

I have a post in my blog where a couple of photos infringe on my sidebar. Know it's happening, but can't be fagged fixing it for just the one post. Not happy with my template anyway and one day I shall get around to choosing a better one. Just not right now though as I don't need the aggravation and even getting equal spaces between paragraphs is enough of a headache with Blogger!

Dale

jackiesimmonds
10-25-2011, 03:18 AM
Love these replies.

Charlie, when I can work out how to work with LAYERS, I will try the before and after thing, I can see uses for that. I think it is time to find a good instruction book on Elements.

Deborah....ah. Perhaps I wont bother with the layers thing......

Lynn - thanks. Makes me feel better. Thought it was just me.

Dale - you are so down to earth, I LOVE it!! Big hug flying over to you. I too cannot be fagged with fixing it, enuff is enuff. Know what you mean about the paragraphs. Blogger is a bit wierd sometimes.

thanks one and all.

Jackie

robertsloan2
10-25-2011, 06:38 AM
Wow! Oh wow! Awesome! Jackie, thank you for describing your process. I've never created a slide show but now I know Photoshop Elements may be worth the money even if I'm very used to Gimp.

I love the new slideshow. Thank you for changing it! It's beautiful now. I stopped several times to look at paintings I particularly liked.

I mistook your last entry for a new one and read it again as if it was new because I do have fibromyalgia. I forget things. Whoops! But I hadn't commented on it the first time I read it so I did comment. Purr. It was a good article and I'm sure I learned it deeper learning it twice.

It went into the places the stories come from and the paintings sometimes emerge whole as images I need to learn to create.

Tonight there really is a new article and it's a great one! Spooky coincidence - tonight's daily art after the whole day of mat cutting was just a series of cat gestures in ball point. They have confident, expressive lines because I've been drawing that cat for several years now with anything I own that'll make a mark.

I passed a personal landmark.

I always loved the Leonardo sketches and other famous Renaissance and master artist sketches where they drew over the other sketches and you can still see both. Where somehow the flow of unrelated subjects or different views makes sense and looks better than one static drawing would.

Tonight I rushed to get a second cute cat pose and didn't take the time to turn the page. Half way through the second cat sketch, I realized I'd done it. I overlapped him with himself and the two sketches together made a much more interesting drawing than either of them separately. It captured a moment of motion. I got finite perfection again out of serendipity.

It doesn't happen by being planned. It happens by getting into it so much I don't notice it till after it's happened. But I'm very happy with it and then your article explained why it worked to me that thoroughly!

Charlie, you did convince me Elements will be useful for its own purposes along with Gimp. Less grainy images will be better when I'm presenting finished work for sale. It will probably pay for itself. But Gimp's good for its own things and it's free and best of all it's the one I know. No reason to toss it if I buy Elements later on.

Colorix
10-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Robert, if you get Elements, get version 9 or 10.

Jackie, in the "help" section there should be a link to an online instruction, a manual.

barriespapa
10-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Hi Jackie thanks for the treat I watched and enjoyed no problems at all. which is just as well because I am a computer klutz I would have enjoyed to watch them at my leasure rather than a slide show. Oops I bet there was a pause button there some where. Dah
David

jackiesimmonds
10-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Hi Jackie thanks for the treat I watched and enjoyed no problems at all. which is just as well because I am a computer klutz I would have enjoyed to watch them at my leasure rather than a slide show. Oops I bet there was a pause button there some where. Dah
David

Yes, you can use the arrow, then the slide show will go at whatever pace you want, I believe.

Join the club of computer klutzes....takes me forever to learn new stuff.

glad you enjoyed it.

jackiesimmonds
10-25-2011, 12:19 PM
CHARLIE - thanks, but I hate online help, I like to have a book open beside me. So I found a second-hand one on Amazon....I have elements 7, came with my computer, and it will do.

ROBERT - got your nice post, and stupidly I answered it....to a noreply address, waste of my time. Anyway, I said thanks, and other stuff about lightbulb moments, and how great to have a sheet of really good cat pics that gave you a thrill. I totally understand about fibro...my daughter has it, it makes for a tough life, and when the fibro fog sets in, it must be so easy to read stuff and forget it immediately.

DAVID ...this computer klutz just added a feedburner thingy to my blog, and a stat counter, goodness knows if they work or not. The whole blog thing baffles me....Google give you a stat count, which does not make sense to me at all - says in my stats that I have had more than 3000 total page views, but the weekly totals add up to something quite different! I get cross-eyed with computer stuff sometimes.Makes my head hurt.

Folks... If you haven't done the "follow by email" thing, perhaps you could try it for me and let me know if you get email notifications! If they annoy you, you can always unsubscribe.

Jackie

JudyG
10-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Jackie,

I subscribed to "follow by e-mail" thing and I seem to be getting the e-mails just fine. I really enjoy them too.

And the final version of your slide show was wonderful. Your paintings are beautiful. I missed the first version.

I feel your pain trying to figure out blogs and slide shows and Elements and stuff. I have my web site through FASO and it works beautifully, but I haven't tried the blog feature or the newsletter feature or deciphered any of the stats or other wonderful stuff. Oh well, one day.

Judy

Colorix
10-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Geek is hair-tearing stuff, you've done wonderfully, Jackie!

adventureartist
10-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Yes, Jackie I will agree with the others, you have done a wonderful job!
It takes courage to get on the computer and do all that work...that and dogged persistence! :D Love the slide show and the whole site, your art is so inspiring!
Web sites are headache material for me...I have had two involved in business which I got professional help when I started this web thing over a decade ago...then did one of my own..those are gone now and I had to be talked into my current blog site by a fellow artist...now another friend has gotten me started on another business site...and yet I still resist and am horrifically slow getting my works up for public perusal....:evil:

jackiesimmonds
10-26-2011, 04:32 AM
Working backwards:

Drusilla,thanks, and I took a peek at your blog...lovely photos, lovely work, lovely kit, you really are an adventureartist!! Wish I lived close enough to come paint with you. wow, what scenes.

Charlie - you said it!

Judy, thanks for trying the email thing, most grateful. Never heard of FASO, must check it out one day.

You people are just great.
thanks
Jackie

sketchZ1ol
10-26-2011, 02:57 PM
hello

Jackie , there are different ' languages ' to write computer programs ,
just as there are different formulas for pastel brands ,
and even more basic - vine charcoal , compressed , tip of a firewood stick making the mark on ...

it's become more advanced than , say , a polaroid or kodak point-and-shoot , and very rapidly .

= know what equipment you are using ,
seek out a geek and/or a website ( which has become a specialty artform )
and pay them for their expertise if it meets the need
as you expect to be paid for your own .
> be prepared to upgrade ( buy new computer stuff )
to keep up with tech/programming advancements .

marketing does have many complexions .

Ed :}