PDA

View Full Version : 1935 Ford Woodie

Faded
10-21-2011, 08:41 PM
I did this for my Dad's 75th birthday, he loves cars. It's 12x16 on canvas, all comments welcomed.
Thanks
-David

birdhs
10-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Overall I really love this. I do think a neutral wash of burnt umber over the barn would help set the barn back from the roof of the car. It seems too bright.

The car is quite good, great proportions and scale. great shading and colors.

I suspect your Dad will be thrilled about this, he is a lucky father to have a son who would go to so much effort for a gift. WOW!

Thanx 4 posting, this pleaseth our eye, Greg

barsha
10-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Wonderful intricate details David, liked how you have used the blue all over, it draws ones special attention to the painting. I understand the 75-year-old young man would like it :D

Propwash
10-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Nice work, David. I love these old cars.

khmgb
10-29-2011, 01:15 PM
I love oldtimer....very good...

OkeeKat
10-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Fabulous! Great old car!!
Agree the barn is a bit bright, could just be the photo,
but darkening it will make the car pop out more!

Faded
10-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks everyone. The barn is actually a little darker IRL, not the best pic.Thanks for taking the time to comment :)
-David

chammi kaiser
10-31-2011, 10:54 AM
Hi David. Lucky Dad. This is a great rendering of a charming old timer. Good advice from Kathie even if the barn is darker IRL. I still think it could do with an extra glaze that would make that car really zing!!

dezigngirl
11-01-2011, 09:31 PM
You don't really need to hear from me because you have already heard it. You need more contrast. Light and darks. I was a sign painter for 25 years and then had the time to do painting. My biggest issue was getting the light and the darks. I was so used to working on a flat plan. It just takes time and squint with your eyes.

Baptiste
11-02-2011, 01:16 PM
I like it. You may put your camera's white balance on the good setting to get real whites... here it seems it was on "indoor" under daylight !! (well I suppose there should be white parts in your painting)...

Charlie's Mum
11-02-2011, 06:50 PM
It's always difficult to know the exact colour of a painting you're viewing on a small screen with light behind the image!
It's up to you whether you want to keep all the warmth to the body of the car - or whether you want to warm the barn with a glaze.:)

The front of the 'station wagon' especially is well observed and painted - and if you and your dad are happy with this, then that's all that matterd David :D

It's a lovely present adn I'm sure it's appreciated :)