PDA

View Full Version : Au faubourg des dames #2

Baptiste
10-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Hi mates !!! After a few weeks exploring watercolor I try acrylic painting... so here is my second "artwork" with this media... it's a work in progress, I'm working on a bed behind the portrait at this moment... and think there is a lack of volume on the face and body, kind of a flat thing, probably question of light and shadows... well, I post to know what you think about it... thanks a lot !!!

chammi kaiser
10-21-2011, 12:13 PM
This is a very unique style and it works. The figure has almost a masculine quality about it - the muscular torso and the strong arms. I personally think you should leave it as it is and not put a bed in the picture. The figure is powerful enough to stand alone.

OkeeKat
10-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Definately unique!!
The figure does appear to be flat without shading to shape it,
but it works well with the simple background, I'd leave it as it is.
the large eyes give it a different style!

Baptiste
10-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Well, too late for the bed, it's already on fire... but it will be great (well, I hope so)...

Could you please give me good links or tips about the way to paint shadows on faces and/or bodies ??? Colors, tones etc... ??? I don't really know how to do so... they may help to feminize this body too...

noodle1
10-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Ahhh too bad I kind of liked her as a stand alone and for the style that you are
offering in this painting actually not having too many shadows is not a bad thing. As for any links there is a Kiosk we have here at the opening of the Acrylics thread and there have been classrooms on Portrait painting...now for the most part it's dealing with more actual portraits, but the mixing of color can be seen and colors presented that are used, so maybe you might want to take a look. Here's the link.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578564

There is tons of information in the Kiosk so look around in there too, gives you lots of visuals and ideas and helps with acrylic painting. Often times just seeing other works can do the same, meanwhile just keep going. I think it's interesting and can't say I don't think she looks like a woman cause I do, but
I rather like the idea that she's not all soft and gooey, rather like the impression of the inner strength n focus it suggests (to me anyway) that I actually think most woman have, not just pretty faces along with 'other' details..:D But that is just my opinion but I do like this, good job so far.

Elaine

Baptiste
10-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the links !! The body is like that just because I'm an absolute begginer... I'll do a better job next time... hope so...

Here is an update on this work:

gaykir
10-27-2011, 11:54 PM
I rather like your style!

Baptiste
10-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Thanks Gaykir !!

levelek
11-01-2011, 08:36 AM
I love it!

Just a tiny comment. It looks as if you put in two frown lines between her eyebrows, and these make her look angry in the updated painting. I found her look in the first picture more powerful and enigmatic. This is just my personal reaction, of course, and I can't know what it is that you are going for!

Baptiste
11-02-2011, 01:10 PM
You're right Levelek... those two lines are new and crap...

Charlie's Mum
11-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Well, if you wanted her to look angry, the lines work!:lol:

I rather like this work as it is - reminds me of Modigliani's ladies!!

For more detailed understanding of figures, go to the Figure forum here, they should be able to help a lot - and particularly if you want to paint and study the figure.
This forum is best for use of the medium! :lol: - tho' peope here do paint figures too!

If you really want to make anything look more rounded and 3-dimensional, you need to study basic form - cubes, cylinders, spheres etc to see how light and shade reveal their solidity.

Yellow Ogre
11-02-2011, 03:16 PM
There are several things I like about your painting, Baptiste. The positioning of the woman and the background in particular. You have a style but it needs to be developed. The figure, alas, looks somewhat cartoonish to me.

Put the paintings away - practice getting tonal variety and 3 dimensionality in figure painting for a month, then go back to the painting, use what you have aready painted of the woman as an underpainting and repaint her. Leave everything else alone. I think it will be very good

ddattler
11-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Nice Start.

I've found that Outlines on my artwork can sometimes make it look too 2 dimensional (Flat) especially if there isn't enough contrast in the darks and lights. When I do figures and portraits, I try to set up my models with strong enough lighting for increased contrast to give them dimension. The beauty of acrylics is that you can generally get better contrast than with Watercolors. Sometimes my students are afraid to use contrast to make their pictures Pop out. Creating a gradient from darks to lights with acrylics can take a little practice. Elaine's link shows allot of good information.

Baptiste
11-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Well, thanks a lot !!! I absolutely agree about the "cartoonish" render of my figure here... that is exactly what I would like to work... build 3D feels on figures... and if I have an idea about how to do with gray pencil and cylinders or cubes, it seems to be much more difficult with a complex subject like human bodies, faces... and I need to learn and/or choose about shadows colors too... on my last job I use a black glaze for shadows... seems mixing the complementary color with the original one is a best choice...

got no money to pay me lessons... so I need to work it out by myself... as usual... I'll try the figure's forum section, hope my English allows me to find the good tips quite easily... :)