PDA

View Full Version : wrinkled canvas

ennok
10-20-2011, 08:36 AM
I bought a 15oz cotton duck, which was delivered folded. There are some pretty deep creases on it, which I can't get rid off. I've tried both wetting it with water and ironing it but that removes only the finer wrinkles, the deep ones just stay there. Any ideas?

Flattwo
10-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Hi

Return it to the supplier and ask for your money back...and an apology!

Henry

Einion
10-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Wash it, dry it and iron it - works for jeans, see no reason it wouldn't work for anything of similar or lighter weight :)

Are you attaching it to stretchers or mounting it to board?

Einion

timelady
10-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Is it primed or unprimed? If unprimed then soak it and stretch to dry. You can either stretch it onto a frame or staple it to a wall or board. Once you prime it the wrinkles should come out no problem. I buy a lot of offcuts that are folded and almost never iron anymore (though it is the only reason I own an iron ;) ). I like Einion's idea too! Washing should work.

timelady
10-20-2011, 10:27 AM
btw, I've also learned to request meterage of canvas be on a roll and never folded when mail ordering now!

ennok
10-20-2011, 10:43 AM
timelady - yeah that's something I'll definitely remember the next I order any canvas. never thought the creases could be such a problem.

the canvas is unprimed and I want to put it on stretchers. I'll try to wash the canvas and iron it, hope that will work

ddattler
10-20-2011, 01:25 PM
I've used a regular steam iron on it's highest steam setting to successfully remove all the wrinkles.

Don

Jayde
10-21-2011, 03:03 AM
I've never had a problem with creases. Just stretch it then prime it - the creases should automatically disappear after the canvas is primed.