PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Heart

Dark_Shades
03-16-2003, 04:36 PM
One of my Canadian chat buddies sent me a photo of her new addition to her family..... he's so adorable, just had to paint him... she said that on the other side of he's body he had a black marking... in the shape of a heart... awwwww
... ok, this is on another one of the sample sheets, this time its La Carte Pastel board .... loved the thickness .... but not so keen on the working of it..... felt scratchy - but once layers got going.. was ok.... personally prefered so far the Art Spectrum or the 'Sandpaper' :D
... Ive worked some more since taking this photo on he's little nose :), put in a bit more colour of some oranges..... but prefer the photo for colouration, this was taken this afternoon in natural daylight.... took a photo of the finished work tonight using my daylight lamp, but the colours came out more peachy.... perhaps due to surrounding colours of wood in my cupboard (hee hee crumby if you read this lol)
... 9 x 12" La Carte Pastel Board.. Nupastels ... and FC pastel pencils for details......

thanks for looking

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2003/12116-SweetHeartmorn.jpg

sundiver
03-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Awwwwww! What a sweetie! Love the way you've done the eyes.

butterfly
03-16-2003, 04:45 PM
DS

This is soooooo cute! I have to send a copy to my daughter at college. She'll love it (likes animals more than people - don't know where I went wrong !!)

I love the subject and how you captured the soft cudley feeling
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Just wonderful -- Roni

Dark_Shades
03-16-2003, 05:52 PM
Thank you Sundiver.... thank you to lol Butterfly/Roni :) for your lovely comments. ... I can surely understand your daughters sentiments...... anyone want a sulky teenager... .. he's house trained lol :evil:

JohnnyRed
03-16-2003, 05:59 PM
AAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! What a lovely doggy portrait! You've captured the "I'm soft and lovely" look beautifully!

In you previous Post, you said that you had problems with fabric. Well here, you've captured the creases in the cushion nigh on perfectly. I can almost feel the softness!

Well done!!

Dark_Shades
03-16-2003, 06:56 PM
Many thanks Johnny.... yes I must confess am pleased again with how this turned out ... have had a great weekend painting :) .... the folds of the material seemed to work out well this time, but I did spend quite a bit of time working on them :) .... all came together in the end .... very much a matter of choosing the right colours and shades.. think Im making a bit of headway on that score..... lol hope it continues

.... one other thing that you can not see in this photo, due to the darkness of he's head, is that in real, it looks like velvet.... so am pleased with this type of texture in the paper

... will try and see if I can get a better photo tomorrow

Mo.
03-16-2003, 06:59 PM
Wow Dawn, you've been so productive girl, this is a little beauty.

See you've mastered those folds now, they're looking so good!
Great little painting! :clap: :clap:

Cheers,
Mo.

meowmeow
03-16-2003, 07:04 PM
That's precious! And yes, the fabric is wonderful...so soft and real looking.
A agree about the LaCarte...sort of a love/hate relationship I have with it. :D

Sandy

Luvy
03-16-2003, 07:18 PM
This is absolutely adorable Dark. I'm a sucker for dogs but this one is absolutely wonderful You need to do more dogs *S*

Redsy333
03-16-2003, 07:26 PM
awwww what an adorable addition!!!:D
I must say you make him look so lovely and cute, well done kiddo!!;)

louiethe_cat
03-16-2003, 10:30 PM
you've gone beyond the bounderies of cute and adorable! Superb!
Just bought my first box of Nupastels today, mainly for drawing edges and sharp lines, can't wait to use them. Alan

Doogun
03-16-2003, 10:53 PM
You're such a "SHOW OFF" ! You've got another winner going here, keep it up.
Larry

Artaholic
03-17-2003, 12:53 AM
Ohhhhhhh just want to pick him up and give him a hug. You did a great job ! Gerry (hope it's a him.):p :)

angecald
03-17-2003, 01:04 AM
Dawn, I never knew you were such a great animal painter! Had to look at that picture a couple of times to realize it's the painting, not the photograph, of the sweet adorable pup. You captured that tender new-puppy warmth ... made me want to run right out and buy one. (Fortunately it's 1:05 am here so it's impossible for me to do that. I will be over it by morning, I hope.)

Nice work, Dark Shades. (I miss your chimpanzee picture. Did you decide you're too grown-up for that now?):D

wilddredcherry
03-17-2003, 02:01 AM
You really captured him...Hi...his Name is Basil...and I'm his mom :D What really grabs me about Shades work is...she caught the moment exactly....the reflected surfaces have the shades of Chartreuse and Orange from the walls and ceilings....and the pinkness of his belly just showing through....I avoided using a flash and had afternoon eastern exposure...with lots of reflective light from the snow outside. He was just nuzzling down for a nap in the down comforter....ok he's being just a tad spoiled...it's his first week in his new home. It's like you were here Shades.

Smudger
03-17-2003, 03:23 AM
He looks so snug and warm... superb!:clap: :clap:

soap
03-17-2003, 04:27 AM
Oh, this is so lovely! Great expression (:D if dogs have one.....yes, they must have! LOL)
Envy you for being able to put so much character in a pet's portrait. I'm having trouble enough with humans - wouldn't dare to try animals just yet.

Absolutely wonderful picture - if this was my dog..........:)

angeline
03-17-2003, 04:39 AM
aaaaawwwwwwwww so cute!
WD!

E-J
03-17-2003, 04:50 AM
Dawn ~ this is a beautiful piece of work ~ must have felt really satisfying to finish this one ~ how long did it take you?
The softness of him! And those eyes! I always go on about how I'm not a dog person but some of the recent doggy pastels have really been gorgeous. Congratulations on this one, it's truly impressive.

guilliame
03-17-2003, 05:30 AM
D/S,like i said leaps and bounds,from strengh to strengh,love it:D :clap: .

llis
03-17-2003, 06:20 AM
Precious!

crumbedbrains
03-17-2003, 07:16 AM
Sheeeesh . . How'd I miss this???
Great work Dawn . . . I first thought you just posted the ref pic for us . . great pose too . . awwwwwww
Crumby

krico
03-17-2003, 08:04 AM
waw! excellent!
very very nice indeed!

Krico

BevL
03-17-2003, 08:24 AM
Dawn, this is wonderful! The first thing that struck me is how much this little one looks like my own Tess when she was a baby! (we lost Tess to cancer 3 yrs ago). Is this a Jack Russel terrier? Tess wasnt.. she was a Walker hound/beagle cross, but she looked just like this! You've done a fantastic job!

Just too cute!

Bev :)

olika
03-17-2003, 09:55 AM
An absolute sweetie !!! Well done! :D :D

BTDogMom
03-17-2003, 10:49 AM
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! He's so cute I'm getting a bit choked up about it - I know it's corney, but me + dogs = crazy insane dog, puppy lover!! And he is so cute. The painitng is so good I can feel his wittle warm belly and hold him in my hand.!:clap: :clap: :clap:

wilddredcherry - u r 1 lucky momma!!! Great name! I bet you were taken a bit when you found out DS was doing or did his puppy portrait, what a treat. So he's a juck russel terrier puppy?

Taminka
03-17-2003, 04:39 PM
He's gorgeous - I was going to say he looks as if he's missing his mum, - but obviously he's got a new mum who loves him a lot :)

Cheers,
Minky

chookbrown
03-17-2003, 05:51 PM
Wow Dawn he is soooooooooooo sweet and you did a masterful job here.... Just magical!!!

Originally posted by Dark_Shades
anyone want a sulky teenager... .. he's house trained lol :evil:

I'll swap ya two teen girls for one boy... sounds fair to me... ;)

doe
03-17-2003, 06:27 PM
Awwwwwwww Ilovehimhesperfect!:D

BTDogMom
03-18-2003, 08:34 AM
OMG!!!! I was over at this thread: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1053315#post1053315

and 2/3rds of the way down is Basil and you can see his other side - He really DOES have a heart shape on him! That is sooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bnoonan
03-18-2003, 12:35 PM
Dawn,
I'm dashing around but wanted to tell you that I love this little guy. He's the best and will have to rival a place of importance with the monkey now.

Barb

Dark_Shades
03-18-2003, 02:32 PM
..... sorry for late reply.... just life getting in the way :(
... well Im just Blown away by all your wonderful compliments...... its so nice when people enjoy something of what you are doing

chook .... sounds fair trade..... where do I sign :)

lol BT you make me laugh :D

Crumby ..... indeed a compliment :)

Originally posted by louiethe_cat
you've gone beyond the bounderies of cute and adorable! Superb!
Alan

Alan ..... thank you so much for these words.... this is EXACTLY what I was aiming at

...... again thanks to you all...... your all great :clap:

elizabeth ours
03-21-2003, 12:32 AM
Awww, dark shades he is so cute - you did a wonderful job - what a loving look. makes me want another puppy. my husband has warned me not to come home with another animal - i can't resist dogs and cats. (2 dogs and 3 cats now, could be room for more)

liz

Dark_Shades
03-21-2003, 02:18 PM
awww lol... thanks elizabeth for your comments..... my youngest son fell in love with him too and now wants a puppy :eek: :D ;) ... Ha! perhaps should just give him the painting

LouAnn
02-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi LadyBear I copy & pasted the URL you wrote "http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95255" in my email. Page 1 of 3 came up with posts ranging from #20-#34.. all of them referring to the painting... bu no painting showed!.. I've been having trouble for the past few weeks. Nothing is where it should be. But have no idea why. At the very top left corner it shows WetCanvas \SWEETHEART.. I have no idea what that means. I got here before by the URL in my email... same as this time... Thanks for the reply, tho. :) LouAnn

Pat Isaac
02-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Wonderful portrait and the eyes have it! I fight with LaCarte too, not the best for OPs.

Pat

NothingButPencils
02-20-2007, 08:23 PM
That is fantastic! A nearly identical rat terrier (but not a puppy!) is lying next to me right now wishing she had such a nice portrait done ;-)
-RB

dbjs
02-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Awww....I WAN'T A PUPPY!! hehe ^^ He's TO cute!! Really well done!! :)

Ruthmarie
02-21-2007, 04:19 AM
Basil is a little beauty. The painting is just the best. Ruth

Merethe T
02-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Absolutely gorgeous work, he's so soft looking...and who can resist those eyes...?! Beautiful work, as always......

Jean270
02-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Just can't add anything to what has already been said! He is just toooo cute for words. :thumbsup:
Jean:wave:

t-sue
02-21-2007, 06:38 PM
LouAnn, bless your heart!!!! You may have gotten lost, but it was totally grand bringing this wonderful piece back up!!!! :clap: I don't think I'd seen this thread before.... and I love it Dawn!!!!! :thumbsup: Guess you needs be painting another pup for us, huh???? :cat:

Dark_Shades
02-23-2007, 04:04 PM
WOW - thank you guys for your 'new' kind comments.......... not quite sure why the thread came up again, as this is nearly 4 years old!!!
but thank you all the same.....

its quite strange really, as my chat friend from Canada whose puppy this is emailed me with the sad news that Basil had been run over by a truck and killed :crying:

This has always been one of my favourites and have this image used all over the place........ and always will be my ...... Sweetheart