PDA

View Full Version : Dunes.

aolaranora
10-14-2011, 09:39 PM
This is another small painting from my latest Western series. Idaho dunes.
8x 10", Wallis mounted on board, watercolor underpainting, mixed pastels (mostly Girault).
C & C are welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2011/177144-IMG_7485.jpg

maryinasia
10-14-2011, 09:40 PM
beautiful!

SherryC
10-14-2011, 10:23 PM
This is lovely. I really like it!

Jayde
10-15-2011, 01:05 AM
The foreground is beautiful. I think the dune at the back should be lightened (as it appears to be the same colour as the foreground) and variegated to give it interest. Otherwise it is a lovely painting.

equinespirit
10-15-2011, 02:55 AM
Super work on the foreground especially :thumbsup:

Rockport123
10-15-2011, 05:13 AM
Beautifully done!!

barriespapa
10-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Love this your choice of colors is fantastic.
david

aolaranora
10-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Thank You, maryinasia, SherryC, Jayde, Sarah, Rockport123 and David!

I have to agree with Jayde about background, I'm questioning it too. I'm not going to change anything in this one, but I may paint it bigger will some changes and then definitely will play more with far dunes. Need to get some more Wallis, I'm almost out. Still have only few pieces of 8x10".

John Palmer Fine Art
10-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Beautifully painted Tatiana, I think the minor adjustment Jayde has mentioned will add to the realism.

robertsloan2
10-16-2011, 02:24 PM
This is gorgeous! I love the foreground, it keeps capturing my eye while the background carries me off into a sense of vast distance.

The patch of less detailed middle ground sand that someone suggested making it a step lighter - I agree with that. Especially if you do it a little irregularly so that it doesn't read as flat. A touch of subtle atmospheric perspective, gradating it a hair cooler toward the back and warmer forward (cold blue glaze on the back third) might help it lay flat, especially if the cool glaze was laid down irregularly like dips and patches in the dune. If it is that smooth, does it have dimension? Is there a cast shadow on the shadow side of the peak? Or a sort of messy pattern of small cast shadows on the shadow side?

The distant dark hill looks fine, it's very natural and I like the soft edges. It's that one area of lighter sand in middle distance that's a touch problematic. Just lightening it might be enough to separate it, but doing it with a gradient would probably look even better. Think front to back within it. That middle distance is a lot of ground!

aolaranora
10-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Thank You, John!

Thank you, Robert! I just hear Johannes speaking! (Of course I hear Robert speaking too! :-) I may try it with another piece. I love that desert, we took some great pictures there,not very easy to paint... not from the best camera too... I had to leave my Canon at home, but I'm very thankful to little FujiFilm FinePix XP20. It is not a first time when I taking it out in extreme conditions and ending up with some great memories (and ## reference photos).