PDA

View Full Version : My first plein air

zyphy
10-10-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm pretty nervous, but here goes! I gave myself a 2-hour limit so I wouldn't blend everything to death and finished in 1-1/2 hour, pleased with the result. The colors still look a bit too vivid but I'll be working on that along with composition. It would have been great if some guy were paddling along in his yellow kayak on the right side of the canvas, but it was not to be. Please post comments and critiques. Thanks in advance, -Zyphy

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2050/cascobay.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/cascobay.jpg/)

birdhs
10-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Sorry Zyphy, but the image is not showing up, try again. Greg

applepandowdy
10-10-2011, 08:47 PM
wow you did that in an hour and a half? beautiful!

Rick G
10-10-2011, 10:05 PM
I don't know why you'd be nervous about showing this off. Very nice.

WYSIWYG
10-11-2011, 05:51 AM
I'm with Rick - no need to be nervous, you've done a lovely job. The rocks in the left forground especially so! This looks like such a tranquil little nook to set up and paint in too!

chammi kaiser
10-11-2011, 07:19 AM
This is a wonderful painting with really great brush strokes. I like it very much and never mind being nervous because I am really looking forward to your next posting.

banananna20032003
10-11-2011, 11:07 AM
What a great painting from your first plein air! I've been afraid of doing one, so congrats on taking that plunge!

I especially enjoyed your rocks and the lone pine. I might have added some light areas to the water for contrast, but as is is really great. Good job!

Marie

zyphy
10-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out and Marie, I absolutely agree that more work should have been done to the water. I feel like water is my final frontier--very scary for me to try capturing something in constant motion, but it'll be a great exercise. I feel like I really accomplished my main goal of not over-blending. I spent most of my time on the foreground rocks and overcame the temptation to blend, which would have gotten rid of their texture! I have a birthday coming up in a couple of weeks and hubby has promised me more paint. I'm now trying to figure out a basic palette and think I should start with warm and cool shades of each primary plus a purple as I hear it takes a lot of paint to mix a good purple. Does anyone have a favorite source (books, sites, etc) for color mixing? Pls let me know. Thanks again!
-Marlene
There. I got another shot of bravery and signed my name ;)

ladypainter
10-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Lovely work. Reminds me of our trips up north

Robwood
10-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Very nice work Marlene, I'd say you are off to a great start!

Rob

zyphy
10-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the compliments Elinor and Rob. I'm very excited to start another soon.
-Marlene

Margaretta
10-12-2011, 12:31 PM
A beautiful, tranquil scene.
Love the detail in the rocks and the colours especially. Just not sure about the water ....there is a curved stroke in the little inlet and I think it would have been better horizontal. The water generally needs more detail I think.
I love this painting and look forward to more 'plein air' from you. The weather's never right for me to try....my excuse so hats off to you!!:) :)

Lady Carol
10-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Hi Marlene,
this is beautiful and serene. I would love to be there right this minute instead of being in my office waiting for leaving time whenever that is (not that I cannot go home now, but any way). My only crit is that I find there seems to be a significant colour disconnect between the water and the sky. The foreground rocks, totally rock ;)