PDA

View Full Version : Border Collie - photoshop - help - WIP ?

doodle-bug
10-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi all need your expert help on this one. I was given a photo of the dog but the back ground was not very good, so I deceided to (roughly) cut him out and place him onto a photo I took in Scotland. . seemed a good idea at the time !:thumbsup:

I cracked on with it and it was only towards the end I struggled with the grass and shadows etc, particularly over and infront of the dog, what do you think, does it look like he is there or is there still the element of him being cut out and placed there? May be longer grass more detail, I don't know I think it is finished but it is a gift and I want to make sure. You C & C will be most welcome. (Apologies for flash on photo) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2011/210150-P1010229.JPG

Five
10-09-2011, 07:39 PM
It bothers me that he seems to be soooo close to a very deep drop off.
If he should roll over his will surely fall into it.:eek:

Could you close it up with just meadow to the way off mountains?

nickib
10-10-2011, 12:37 AM
I would fade out and take alot of detail away from the background and then, yes add higher grass blades and such. Collie looks beautiful!!!!!!

PatrickHedges
10-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Actually, I really like it. I think you made a good choice since these are a massive part of the Scottish farming landscape. Maybe some tinges of green reflected light (only a small amount) in the fur would get rid of any feeling that it is pasted there. In fact, it's already pretty much in the environment so wouldn't take much.

MJGresko
10-10-2011, 01:19 PM
I think you need to change the values of the greens in the valley area to set it apart from the greens of the grass the dog is laying on. Everything is the same so it's kind of hard to get a feeling of distance. I think that's a simple fix though. It's a great painting just needs a few tweaks.

doodle-bug
10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Thank you all for your kind C&C, I will have a tinker with it using your suggestions and post back.
Thanks John

doodle-bug
10-11-2011, 09:40 AM
I have had a bit of a tinker with it after all your suggestions, what do you think? I have toned down valley behind and added some longer grass at the front, I feel more detail around and on the longer grass is needed but not planning on much more than that. I have also added some green tones to the fur but they don't show up on the photo.
Thanks

John

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2011/210150-P1010227.JPG

Virgin
10-11-2011, 03:18 PM
I think it looks a lot more realistic now, as if the dog truly was there all along. Good work on this one!
Mary

jody007
10-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Beautiful work. I love it!
Jody

nickib
10-11-2011, 06:51 PM
you get the LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!!:clap: :clap:

WYSIWYG
10-11-2011, 08:17 PM
What a lovely old sweetie she (?) is, kudos to you on splicing the two photographs so well, it's not an easy thing!